ADVERTISEMENT

Talk of proposing a expanded College football playoff

If the College Football Playoff was 12 teams all along, only 1 team would have made the field every year. It isn’t Alabama or Clemson. It’s Ohio State.

16 Teams
High Seed gets Home Field
Championship on neutral site

You get to keep a lot of bowls, warm teams playing north, huge attendance on campus, huge TV ratings, and....continuity with all other divisions.

I like it. The 12 team format does a few things. Winning conf championships is rewarded by a bye-week. You won't see teams in conf championship games face an unlikely rematch the next week. Teams that play unusually tough schedules aren't unfairly punished with 12 spots for dropping a couple close games, whereas teams that play in weaker conferences can still get a chance if they are ranked high enough. That bye-week is huge for teams and adding it protects the competitiveness of the regular season as well. Teams will not simply show up in any games late in the season knowing they are already a lock for a 16 team playoff. I say go for it.

I like it. The 12 team format does a few things. Winning conf championships is rewarded by a bye-week. You won't see teams in conf championship games face an unlikely rematch the next week. Teams that play unusually tough schedules aren't unfairly punished with 12 spots for dropping a couple close games, whereas teams that play in weaker conferences can still get a chance if they are ranked high enough. That bye-week is huge for teams and adding it protects the competitiveness of the regular season as well. Teams will not simply show up in any games late in the season knowing they are already a lock for a 16 team playoff. I say go for it.

The bye week is huge, but I am not sure about the last sentence because I don't know that teams don't show up for games late in the season as it is. What I am saying is that I don't think a team goes into an end of season game thinking we can lose this game and it won't be a big deal. I think that happens more at the beginning of the season when you have 8-11 weeks to make up for it.

Winning a conference championship is only rewarded with a bye for 4 conference champs. I do think there will be rematches, unless the poll is manipulated to avoid them. In both 2018 and 2020 Georgia would have had rematches of games already played, LSU in 2018 and Florida in 2020. Plenty of possible rematches in all 3 years, depending on who won the 1st round games.

Bob Bowlsby either doesn't like the idea of home teams getting first round, or doesn't like East Lansing.

Maybe I missed it (didn't read all the posts) but when (ie. for what season) would this proposed playoff change begin if approved?

Sounds like not this year and not next year, that is all they have said so far.

Like in my original post in the thread they are still in the 8th year of 12 years contract with ESPN …

Maybe they are going to look at theses next 2 years and decide how it will be structured and having to renegotiate with ESPN the final 2 yeaes of the contract..

I’m sure ESPN is going to have some more say in this..

If you're to incompentent to meet expectations and are tired of feeling like you failed all you have to do is lower the bar. Bam. Everyone is a winner. Everyone gets trophy.

16 Teams
High Seed gets Home Field
Championship on neutral site

You get to keep a lot of bowls, warm teams playing north, huge attendance on campus, huge TV ratings, and....continuity with all other divisions.
This isn’t the NFL and they don’t need 16 teams just so Ioway can sneak in ...Don’t think for a minute the major bowls will keep quite and not say anything about how they will be included in this..

Remember when people said a 4 team playoff would render the bowls meaningless? They were wrong, it also rendered most CCG meaningless in conjunction with the bowl games, good lord people don't go or watch most of them since the playoffs. Now extrapolate that out by adding an addl 4 teams to the playoff, or more???.....that will render the last 1-3 games meaningless for the regular season because if 16 teams are getting in, why bother caring who wins or loses the last few regular season games? Cause you're getting in regardless, even with 3 losses.

I have an idea, just start the season with everyone in and make it one big bracket? It's just about as dumb as expanding the playoff.

Remember when people said a 4 team playoff would render the bowls meaningless? They were wrong, it also rendered most CCG meaningless in conjunction with the bowl games, good lord people don't go or watch most of them since the playoffs. Now extrapolate that out by adding an addl 4 teams to the playoff, or more???.....that will render the last 1-3 games meaningless for the regular season because if 16 teams are getting in, why bother caring who wins or loses the last few regular season games? Cause you're getting in regardless, even with 3 losses.

I have an idea, just start the season with everyone in and make it one big bracket? It's just about as dumb as expanding the playoff.
I‘ve always been 8 team guy from the start..
5 Power conference winner of CCG
Top rated team of the non Power5 conferences (Group of 5)
and 2 at-large berths and playoffs are played on bowl sites..

I‘ve always been 8 team guy from the start..
5 Power conference winner of CCG
Top rated team of the non Power5 conferences (Group of 5)
and 2 at-large berths and playoffs are played on bowl sites..
Aren't you the one that says "this ain't the NFL" when it comes to playoffs? If I am wrong, I apologize?

Any scenario where you award berths based on winning a league is no different than the NFL playoffs. The only difference in your scenario is the number of teams. 14 in the NFL and 8 in your scenario.

If there has to be a playoff, I am still all in on 4 teams. Clearly that is going away, so I will adjust.

I believe that the only reason they included conference champions in the 12 team model was to get the votes to pass it. If they just said, we are expanding to 12 and taking the top 11 teams plus the G5 representative, they wouldn't get the votes. Point being there is no conference champion eligibility requirements now for the 4 teams selected, other than be in the top 4.

The 6 conference champs and 6 at-large teams, with zero byes for Notre Dame or any top independent is equitable, especially for at least two Group of 5 conference programs.

It took 7 years, but got it right from what I have read.

A Big 12 team heading to East Lansing in December sounds good to College Football fans, Bob Bowlsby.

Couldn't they choose Detroit for indoors?

Hypothetical revisions since 2014, both Colorado and Iowa would have made the 12 team format had it been played.

Indiana and Iowa State would have projected last year.

What will Nebraska do in 2021?

Last edited:
This isn’t the NFL and they don’t need 16 teams just so Ioway can sneak in ...Don’t think for a minute the major bowls will keep quite and not say anything about how they will be included in this..

Oh I agree, the bowls will throw a fit but the cards are in the Universities hands, not the NCAA. More money on their campus in the end.

At the very least it needs to be more than 4.

Aren't you the one that says "this ain't the NFL" when it comes to playoffs? If I am wrong, I apologize?

Any scenario where you award berths based on winning a league is no different than the NFL playoffs. The only difference in your scenario is the number of teams. 14 in the NFL and 8 in your scenario.

If there has to be a playoff, I am still all in on 4 teams. Clearly that is going away, so I will adjust.

I believe that the only reason they included conference champions in the 12 team model was to get the votes to pass it. If they just said, we are expanding to 12 and taking the top 11 teams plus the G5 representative, they wouldn't get the votes. Point being there is no conference champion eligibility requirements now for the 4 teams selected, other than be in the top 4.
The proposal today for a 12-team playoff states quite clearly that there will be no automatic qualification for a team that wins its conference.

It says it will take the 6 highest-rated conf champs plus the 6 other highest ranked teams.

Whatever that means.

First off only team that never won the title not being a conference champion is Alabama in 2011 when they lost to division winner LSU and had the opportunity to revenge their loss in the title game..
.And if you don’t count ND usually the 4 playoff teams are conference champs from the CCG, but they only 4 spots so most likely one conference champ would have been left out regardless..

2nd isn’t that one of the main goal is first be conference champions ? and before you do that you have to win your division.
My comment about this is the not the NFL is referring to 16 teams with quite a few with 3 losses and not having won your conference and playing all the games on home sites except national title game…

I feel that those 5 Power5 CCG ( 10 teams) are just like being in a playoff winning your conference…

The proposal today for a 12-team playoff states quite clearly that there will be no automatic qualification for a team that wins its conference.

It says it will take the 6 highest-rated conf champs plus the 6 other highest ranked teams.

Whatever that means.
It means that six of the teams have to be conference champions. Regardless of their rankings

First off only team that never won the title not being a conference champion is Alabama in 2011 when they lost to division winner LSU and had the opportunity to revenge their loss in the title game..
.And if you don’t count ND usually the 4 playoff teams are conference champs from the CCG, but they only 4 spots so most likely one conference champ would have been left out regardless..

2nd isn’t that one of the main goal is first be conference champions ? and before you do that you have to win your division.
My comment about this is the not the NFL is referring to 16 teams with quite a few with 3 losses and not having won your conference and playing all the games on home sites except national title game…

I feel that those 5 Power5 CCG ( 10 teams) are just like being in a playoff winning your conference…
Well if those five conference championship games Are like being in a playoff, shouldn’t the loser be eliminated? Seed the teams 1 to 12 or 1 to 8 or 1 to 16 and go. If your conference is strong Enough your conference champion will be in those teams, if not they won’t.

It will be hilarious to see which conf champ du jour the ‘experts’ deem worthy of that 6th spot each year.
From what I read, it’s the conference champions from those 10 conferences. I know it was a Covid year, but in 2020 Louisiana from the sun belt and Cincinnati from the American we’re ranked higher than Oregon from the pac 12.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Well if those five conference championship games Are like being in a playoff, shouldn’t the loser be eliminated? Seed the teams 1 to 12 or 1 to 8 or 1 to 16 and go. If your conference is strong Enough your conference champion will be in those teams, if not they won’t.
I‘m fine with that, but people will really bitch ( like yourself) when a 3 or 4 loss division winner beats the other division winner in it’s conference game who ever that might be like Alabama, Ohio St, Oklahoma or Clemson with only one loss or being undefeated…

I‘m fine with that, but people will really bitch ( like yourself) when a 3 or 4 loss division winner beats the other division winner in it’s conference game who ever that might be like Alabama, Ohio St, Oklahoma or Clemson with only one loss or being undefeated…
I won’t bitch, I would have no problem if an 11-1 Alabama team lost to an 8-3 Tennessee in the conference championship game and Alabama went to the playoff instead of Tennessee. Just like I had no problem with Ohio State going to the CFP in 2014 even though they were upset by Virginia Tech. A loss is a loss

I won’t bitch, I would have no problem if an 11-1 Alabama team lost to an 8-3 Tennessee in the conference championship game and Alabama went to the playoff instead of Tennessee. Just like I had no problem with Ohio State going to the CFP in 2014 even though they were upset by Virginia Tech. A loss is a loss
😂.. That isn‘t the way it’s going to work my friend.

2014 Ohio St losing to Virginia Tech has Absolutely nothing to do with CCG’s..

😂.. That isn‘t the way it’s going to work my friend.

2014 Ohio St losing to Virginia Tech has Absolutely nothing to do with CCG’s..
I guess I don’t understand what you think people will bitch about then.

how about this if #23 and 9-3 Nebraska beats #2 and 12-0 Ohio St in the big ten title game. I believe Ohio St still has a better resume and is more deserving of a playoff spot than Nebraska. But in your mind Nebraska is more deserving because the won the CCG.

I guess I don’t understand what you think people will bitch about then.

how about this if #23 and 9-3 Nebraska beats #2 and 12-0 Ohio St in the big ten title game. I believe Ohio St still has a better resume and is more deserving of a playoff spot than Nebraska. But in your mind Nebraska is more deserving because the won the CCG.
In that scenario Ohio St would be one of the at-large teams..
How are they more deserving they lost the CCG..

like I posted you would be the first one to bitch..
Follow.!

I lean with you. Stay at 4. Yes, you may get a little controversy, but for the most part the Top 4 has been pretty cut and dry lately. I'm not the biggest fan of expanding, because pretty soon it is going to be 32 teams because where do you draw the line??

In that scenario Ohio St would be one of the at-large teams..
How are they more deserving they lost the CCG..

like I posted you would be the first one to bitch..
Follow.!
You are missing the point. In that scenario Ohio St would still be one of the best 12 teams in the country. Just like they were one of the top 4 teams in 2014, even though they lost one game to Virginia Tech. Winning one game against Ohio St should not automatically make Nebraska one of the 12 best teams. Nebraska would have lost 3 other games that season. That is the point plain and simple. You are choosing, in your argument, that winning a P5 CCG trumps losing multiple games throughout the season and placing more importance on 1 game in December than 12 from Aug-Nov.

Conference championship games were put in place to determine a conference champion when conferences got so big that they couldn't determine the champion throughout the regular season, be it round robin or playing as close to all of the other teams in the league as possible. When they came into existence, the only reward was winning the title and a trip to the BCS bowl game tied to that conference. After the fact, you and others want to give them an additional reward.

In reality, it is probably only a factor in the 12 team proposal because those in charge know that if they don't provide an opportunity for all conferences they would not get the needed support for passage. The SEC knows that they are going to get 3 teams and 1/4 the field every year. That is why they are pushing for 12 and not 8.

As far as complaining goes. Truth be known, I would say that you would be the first to bitch if Nebraska didn't get in that scenario if the SEC, ACC, Big 12, AAC, Sun Belt and Pac 12 teams were all ranked higher and Nebraska would be the 7th highest ranked and not guaranteed a spot. And your reasoning would be that "we won the Big Ten CCG. Its a power 5 league. If the American team or the Sun Belt team played in the Big Ten they would lose 5 games minimum".

I am very consistent in this matter. In my opinion, whatever number you want to expand this to, 8-32 it doesn't matter, rank the teams 1-8, 1-12,1-16, 1-32, no tie ins, no automatic bids, no limits on number of teams each conference can get in, no finagling the rankings to avoid rematches or conference affiliations. The committee ranks the teams and the tournament starts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT