ADVERTISEMENT

Talk of proposing a expanded College football playoff

Yeah, those are some of the reasons. How would you feel in 1995 if Tommy Frazier got hurt playing some 3 loss team in the playoffs that wasn't no where near Nebraska's level? And it's not like that USC game is an isolated instance - games like that occurred every year in college football. And losing to an unranked team should automatically eliminate you from competing for the national championship - there are always a few top teams that would never do that.

Before the CFP, the regular season was the playoff. Now you guys want to water it down like college basketball. Sure, Duke/North Carolina is interesting, but it would be a HECK of a lot more interesting if the loser was prohibited from the tourny, wouldn't it?
We had Brook Berringer..

I would like the subjectivity to begin as far down the rankings as possible.

obviously.
I can see the merit in that. I'd be more likely to go along with this if we got rid of non-conference games then. One, the season will just drag on too long. Like tuco said, we're already into BB season now. But two, since we already have non-conference games, I think a great job is done figuring out that the 10th best team in the country is on a different level than the top 2. Once in a blue moon, #3 was getting hosed with the old system, but I feel pretty confident identifying the 3 best teams each year and then just adding in whoever looks like #4. Can't recall a season where, at the end of the 12 regular season games, that #5 was a NC contender.

it is a big time weird move to post on another team's site, there's no question about that
Maybe if you visited other boards you'd see it's not. But, as you said when I first got here, fans should just stick to their own team's board. Either way, name calling is pretty petty, but easy to do for some. Kinda childish though, no? If not, then his mom wears army boots! There. : - )

the texas state tournament is 32 teams, and everybody loves it.

the more teams playing meaningful end of season games, the better. obviously.
It's probably much harder to rank high school teams than the top 5 college teams.

More meaningful games at the end of the season makes the early season games less-meaningful (that's why I mentioned doing away with non-con too if this goes through). Plus, weren't you the one who said they're blowouts now? How meaningful was it to watch Burrow put up 49 on Oklahoma in the first half? Outside of LSU and Nebraska fans, I bet a lot of people just tuned out. Maybe left the tv on, but started doing something else.

Maybe if you visited other boards you'd see it's not. But, as you said when I first got here, fans should just stick to their own team's board. Either way, name calling is pretty petty, but easy to do for some. Kinda childish though, no? If not, then his mom wears army boots! There. : - )
I wouldn't be caught dead on an opposing team's board.

it's unfathomably odd to me.

and, in case you haven't noticed, early season games are already meaningless. do away with the non-con, add a 64-team tourney. who could possibly oppose that?

Reactions: ATX Husker
I wouldn't be caught dead on an opposing team's board.

it's unfathomably odd to me.

and, in case you haven't noticed, early season games are already meaningless. do away with the non-con, add a 64-team tourney. who could possibly oppose that?
The win or go home aspect of sports is the best part.

Most of us can't name 90% of the players and/or coaches in CBB but when the dance starts we make sure to watch as much as we can.

I still say each division winner should get in, from the P5 schools, and the next 6 spots are up for grabs. Reward teams for winning their division.

Watered down? Who cares, I am still going to watch NU beat the shit out of Fordham, Just like I would watch Clemson take on 16 seed BYU.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Still no one has answered why Alabama should have to play Georgia a third time after having beaten them twice before to win the NC.

And an 8, 12, 16 team playoff would absolutely dilute the regular season and make many games meaningless, as the 4 team playoff has already done but on a smaller scale. How anyone can pretend it won’t with a grain of sincerity is doing some serious bullshitting.

Reactions: scarletred
But 1414 that's what they were saying when the BCS when to the CFP. Worked out ok. Don't see a problem with starting with 8 teams for a few years and see how Power 5 conf. champs and 3 others work out. Only extends the season by one game. For lots more money. Not to be sarcastic but we think the Big 10 and SEC schools like the idea of more money.

But 1414 that's what they were saying when the BCS when to the CFP. Worked out ok. Don't see a problem with starting with 8 teams for a few years and see how Power 5 conf. champs and 3 others work out. Only extends the season by one game. For lots more money. Not to be sarcastic but we think the Big 10 and SEC schools like the idea of more money.
It sort of worked out the same way as the BCS, you still don't have to win you conference to play in the playoff, don't even have to win your division.

If/ when it is expanded to 8 and definitely 12, it will allow for teams that finish 3rd in a league or 3rd in a division the opportunity to play for a title. So that devalues the the regular season match up. Sure it will be worth watching, but the team that loses, oh well, they just have to win out and will still make the CFP.

Honestly, other than the reward to call yourself conference champion, it might be better strategy to be a 1 or 2 loss division runner up rather that the CCG runner up. There would be one less game, no potential for a loss, potential to get a better seed when half the teams playing in the CCGames lose in the title game.

The problem is they want to go from 4 to 12, not 8..

What I don’t understand is why the first 4 are getting bye’s..
I’d rather have them start with 8 and not have any bye’s..
How will the major bowl be used for this ? Don’t see bowl games going away especially the NY6 bowl games..

But from reading a couple of articles the SEC is pushing for 12 so they can get more teams in.. I’d like to see the SEC play 9 conference and yet people are moaning that Nebraska is playing Fordham for a home game and some teams in the SEC plays 2 of these kind of games..

This is so true!
But is it true??

I think the matchup excuse is based on the fact that there is nothing after the bowl. No advancement if you win. No reason to watch if it isn't your team. Here are the 2018 and 2019 bowl matchups of teams ranked 1-16. Teams 1-10 are all playing in NY6 bowls and those matchups are set. So really we are looking at 11-16, are those matchups really that bad?

1 LSU vs 4 Oklahoma

2 Ohio St vs 3 Clemson

5 Georgia vs 7 Baylor

6 Oregon vs 8 Wisconsin

9 Florida vs 24 Virginia

10 Penn St vs 17 Memphis

11 Utah vs Texas (Alamo)

12 Auburn vs 18 Minnesota (Outback)

13 Alabama vs 14 Michigan (Citrus)

15 Notre Dame vs Iowa St (Camping World)

16 Iowa vs 22 USC (Holiday)

1 Alabama vs 4 Oklahoma

2 Clemson vs 3 Notre Dame

5 Georgia vs 15 Texas

6 Ohio St vs 9 Washington

7 Michigan vs 10 Florida

8 UCF vs 11 LSU

12 Penn St vs 14 Kentucky (Citrus)

13 Washington St vs 24 Iowa St (Alamo)

16 West Virginia vs 20 Syracuse (Camping World)

But is it true??

I think the matchup excuse is based on the fact that there is nothing after the bowl. No advancement if you win. No reason to watch if it isn't your team. Here are the 2018 and 2019 bowl matchups of teams ranked 1-16. Teams 1-10 are all playing in NY6 bowls and those matchups are set. So really we are looking at 11-16, are those matchups really that bad?

1 LSU vs 4 Oklahoma

2 Ohio St vs 3 Clemson

5 Georgia vs 7 Baylor

6 Oregon vs 8 Wisconsin

9 Florida vs 24 Virginia

10 Penn St vs 17 Memphis

11 Utah vs Texas (Alamo)

12 Auburn vs 18 Minnesota (Outback)

13 Alabama vs 14 Michigan (Citrus)

15 Notre Dame vs Iowa St (Camping World)

16 Iowa vs 22 USC (Holiday)

1 Alabama vs 4 Oklahoma

2 Clemson vs 3 Notre Dame

5 Georgia vs 15 Texas

6 Ohio St vs 9 Washington

7 Michigan vs 10 Florida

8 UCF vs 11 LSU

12 Penn St vs 14 Kentucky (Citrus)

13 Washington St vs 24 Iowa St (Alamo)

16 West Virginia vs 20 Syracuse (Camping World)
No, but you have 3 games too many in both these years in this post…..

I know you were just setting a example..

No, but you have 3 games too many in both these years in this post…..

I know you were just setting a example..
You are confusing me. Rambo was talking about the bowl matchups for teams ranked 8-16 in the current day system and how the matchups would be better in a playoff system for those teams. I showed the matchups for teams 1-16 to show they aren't so bad.

Still no one has answered why Alabama should have to play Georgia a third time after having beaten them twice before to win the NC.

And an 8, 12, 16 team playoff would absolutely dilute the regular season and make many games meaningless, as the 4 team playoff has already done but on a smaller scale. How anyone can pretend it won’t with a grain of sincerity is doing some serious bullshitting.
What does meaningless mean to you on terms of a college football game?

For instances, even when the Huskers suck and it is near the end of the season and the game they are playing that weekend has no "meaning" I still watch it.

Just like bowl games, they are pretty much meaningless but we still watch them.

What does meaningless mean to you on terms of a college football game?

For instances, even when the Huskers suck and it is near the end of the season and the game they are playing that weekend has no "meaning" I still watch it.

Just like bowl games, they are pretty much meaningless but we still watch them.
In other words he is saying is he wants the games during the season to mean more than a 3 or 4 loss team that failed to play in their CCG gets a 16 seed and would have to play possible the same team they already lost to..

You are confusing me. Rambo was talking about the bowl matchups for teams ranked 8-16 in the current day system and how the matchups would be better in a playoff system for those teams. I showed the matchups for teams 1-16 to show they aren't so bad.
they're exhibitions

even if the matchups were the exact same, it'd be better in a playoff scenario for the exact reason you said - actual stakes exist

nobody cares about winning the gator/citrus/alamo bowls

they're exhibitions

even if the matchups were the exact same, it'd be better in a playoff scenario for the exact reason you said - actual stakes exist

I Do,Citrus, Outback, Gator, Alamo or Holiday bowls are good bowl games

If Nebraska is good enough to play in the Outback against Mizzou you would not look at this game that way..

• Haha
I Do,Citrus, Outback, Gator, Alamo or Holiday bowls are good bowl games
I know you do. I suppose iowa hangs banners for those games, too, so you're not totally alone.

they are vestiges of the past, and mean nothing today. most players people want to see in those games care so little they consider them potentially hazardous to their playing futures.

one thing is for sure - nobody is sitting out a 1st round playoff game.

I do understand length of season concerns - though it adds essentially one game (two games for some, but are the teams that play first round likely to get all the way to the championship?) However, I don't get the devalues the regular season argument. Are regular season games in basketball and baseball meaningless? As it stands today, if your football team loses one game in many conferences, or loses two games in the top conferences, the entire rest of that team's season is meaningless - if the meaning of games is based solely on can you get into the playoffs - which is the crux of such arguments. The football team isn't going to be in the playoffs so the rest of its season has no meaning. From that viewpoint, the last 9-10 games Nebraska has played the past 6 to 8 years have been meaningless. OK, bad example.

I think it is much the opposite. Expanded playoffs make more games meaningful for more teams. You can drop a game in non-P5 or a couple of games in a P5 conference, and the rest of your games still mean something, because you may still have a chance to work into the playoff picture -- the very same way those last few games for basketball teams sitting on the bubble still mean something with 68 teams getting in but would not mean a damn thing if only 32 or 48 teams were going to the dance.

Hell, if the P5 conference champ is assured a spot, you could lose 3 or 4 games, and the games still have meaning, as long as you are still in the race to win your division and get to the conference championship game.

I do understand length of season concerns - though it adds essentially one game (two games for some, but are the teams that play first round likely to get all the way to the championship?) However, I don't get the devalues the regular season argument. Are regular season games in basketball and baseball meaningless? As it stands today, if your football team loses one game in many conferences, or loses two games in the top conferences, the entire rest of that team's season is meaningless - if the meaning of games is based solely on can you get into the playoffs - which is the crux of such arguments. The football team isn't going to be in the playoffs so the rest of its season has no meaning. From that viewpoint, the last 9-10 games Nebraska has played the past 6 to 8 years have been meaningless. OK, bad example.

I think it is much the opposite. Expanded playoffs make more games meaningful for more teams. You can drop a game in non-P5 or a couple of games in a P5 conference, and the rest of your games still mean something, because you may still have a chance to work into the playoff picture -- the very same way those last few games for basketball teams sitting on the bubble still mean something with 68 teams getting in but would not mean a damn thing if only 32 or 48 teams were going to the dance.

Hell, if the P5 conference champ is assured a spot, you could lose 3 or 4 games, and the games still have meaning, as long as you are still in the race to win your division and get to the conference championship game.
exactly right.

big regular season games will still be very meaningful, while completely meaningless games against lesser opponents, especially non-con filler fluff cash grabs, would potentially go away all together.

I don't think there's a single thing that would be better for the sport, which is the most predictable in existence in terms of end of season outcome. even moreso than the NBA.

I know you do. I suppose iowa hangs banners for those games, too, so you're not totally alone.

they are vestiges of the past, and mean nothing today. most players people want to see in those games care so little they consider them potentially hazardous to their playing futures.

one thing is for sure - nobody is sitting out a 1st round playoff game.

Nebraska also hangs banners for bowls games in fact we have one that shows how many we have been too.

exactly right.

big regular season games will still be very meaningful, while completely meaningless games against lesser opponents, especially non-con filler fluff cash grabs, would potentially go away all together.

I don't think there's a single thing that would be better for the sport, which is the most predictable in existence in terms of end of season outcome. even moreso than the NBA.
Big regular season games, while fun, the outcomes don't matter. Oregon vs Ohio St or Miami vs Alabama any of those team can lose these match ups and none would be eliminated from winning the national title. As I said, they are fun to watch, I will watch both games for sure, but in the overall scheme of things, on their own, they aren't meaningful games. They only become meaningful if those teams lose multiple games and the committee wants to look at strength of schedule.

It should be a 6 team playoff with the top two seeds receiving a bye into the second round. places huge importance back on regular season games for seeding purposes. It also allows the couple of fringe teams we see every year to come in and compete.

they're exhibitions

Yes and half the teams don't show up, like when Georgia played Texas in the Sugar and Auburn verse UCF Frosts last year there. I just think Rambo is right that it would be more like the NCAA bball tourney where yea the top 4 would probably make it often but some years you would have some chaos, an upset or two a long the way. Those early round games would be more exciting too as you would have more of the country involved instead of the same 4 or 5 teams that you do now. I realize ultimately you would still get your head knocked off by Saban or Dabo eventually but it's like the old saying, so you're telling me there's a chance lol. Tuco you make some great points too, not sure what the answer is but money always talks.

2020 with 12 team playoff as I have seen it proposed,

-ND can't get a bye,
- 6 highest ranked conference champions
- No conference is guaranteed a berth
- no limit on the number of team each conference can get in the playoff

1-SEC - Alabama - 1
2-ACC - Clemson - 2
3-Big Ten - Ohio St - 3
4-Big 12 - Oklahoma - 5
5-At large - Notre Dame - 4
6-American - Cincinnati - 8