ADVERTISEMENT

Talk of proposing a expanded College football playoff

scarletred

Nebraska Legend
Jun 17, 2001
May come to a vote on July 17-18..

Power5 conference game champions and top rated conference champ non Power5 would be 6, they other 6 teams would be at- large berths…

I’m all for expanding the playoffs but 12 is too many..

How it would work:
First 4 would get byes… How you going to make that fair.
#5 through #8 would host the other teams.

Thames goes on to say that it is too far early what the TV deal could look like other than it’s a much larger deal than the now averaging 470 million annual payout per year.The current deal is in year 8 of a 12 year contract on ESPN…

Reactions: bluenrg
This idea of letting G5 teams into the playoff is going to ruin things because the bottom teams in the P5 conferences will never be able to even compete and try and improve. Right now you can at least hope to hit on a few 3 stars and maybe get a local 4 star recruit from your backyard and have a good season once in a while. With G5 teams competing for playoff spots, recruits who don't go to top P5 programs will start choosing G5 schools over the mid- and bottom-tier P5 schools.

Finally!

I also want 16.. conf title games aren’t playoff games when there are multiple instances of teams getting in after losing/not even playing in them.
They could be now very easily....

16 is a joke and just invites itself to 3 loss teams that had their chance during the season..

I've always been a fan of going to 8, you have your 5 conference winners and the 3 best of the rest. That would give your UCF's, Cincinnati's and so on a chance. First round games are hosted at the higher seeds stadiums and final four is done with the bowl format they currently do. I'd be fine with more teams since it just means more college football and everyone wins in that scenario but 4 isn't really competitive now as 1 or 2 teams are usually far ahead of the rest of the field so any expansion is really just a money grab but I'd still watch.

I've always been a fan of going to 8, you have your 5 conference winners and the 3 best of the rest. That would give your UCF's, Cincinnati's and so on a chance. First round games are hosted at the higher seeds stadiums and final four is done with the bowl format they currently do. I'd be fine with more teams since it just means more college football and everyone wins in that scenario but 4 isn't really competitive now as 1 or 2 teams are usually far ahead of the rest of the field so any expansion is really just a money grab but I'd still watch.
its so simple

Power5 conference game champions and top rated conference champ non Power5 would be 6, they other 6 teams would be at- large berths…

How it would work:

Thames goes on to say that it is too far early what the TV deal could look like other than it’s a much larger deal than the now averaging 470 million annual payout per year.The current deal is in year 8 of a 12 year contract on ESPN…

As long as playoffs include all five power 5 conference champions, then I am fine with it. If you don't have all five power five conference champions then you don't have a real championship in my humble opinion. 12 teams with top four seeds getting a buy seems like a nice starting point to also be inclusive of any highly rated non power 5 teams. Throw a computer model weighted heavily for SOS and road wins and rule that anybody in top 7 is automatic and top ten if at least three of the power 5 champions are in top ten (which will always be the case)

I know there is that group of folks that love the importance regular season but i don't think it is diminished much if goal is to win your conference. Also, with the large strength of schedule component and Road Win multiplier in non conference games, we would start seeing a lot more game like OU vs Nebraska when teams realize prepping for conference and getting non conference road wins is more important than scheduling to be undefeated or with one loss which is currently almost mandatory to make the 4 team bracket.

Reactions: BleedRed78

How it would work:

Just go to 8. That always made the most sense. 5 conference champions and 3 at-large bids.

Just go to 8. That always made the most sense. 5 conference champions and 3 at-large bids.
I prefer 8 too, but I like the idea of non power5 team like UCF or Cincinnati or BYU with the highest rated conference champ and 2 at-large berths…

They could be now very easily....

16 is a joke and just invites itself to 3 loss teams that had their chance during the season..
With an extra at-large bid, conf titles become even less meaningful.

More playoff games = better. No more Fordhams on the schedule.

With an extra at-large bid, conf titles become even less meaningful.

More playoff games = better. No more Fordhams on the schedule.

They won’t be getting rid of CCG’s and this has nothing to do with Nebraska scheduling Fordham this year.. End of that story…

They won’t be getting rid of CCG’s and this has nothing to do with Nebraska scheduling Fordham this year.. End of that story…
The conference championship games become less meaningful, that doesn't mean they go away with 12. Now if you go to 16, then they become almost an exhibition. Not very often have the top 2 teams from a P5 league not been in the top 16. It only becomes important to the teams that were the runners up in the divisions.

The thought on Fordham is that if you can get to 2 or 3 losses and still be in the top 16 then you won't have to play the Fordhams of the world. So it does have to do with it. The only reason Nebraska scheduled Fordham was to get a home game in September. That is it.

As far as the playoff goes, I have never been a proponent of going past 4. I can't think of a single time when after the champ was crowned in the CFP final that I thought you know what, one of the teams 5-12 would have been able to beat them.

When crowning a national champion in football, I don't think a conference champion should get an AQ. There is always a league or leagues that is/ are having a down year and that champion isn't worthy of a spot in the 4 team playoff. If the goal is to find the best team in the country, and I assume by the name of the event, College Football Playoff, that is the goal, It should be the best x number of teams playing for that title. If the number is 12 and the champion of the Big Ten is 13, too bad, you aren't one of the 12 best teams. Winning a conference title doesn't automatically make you one of the best (4, 8, 12, 16...)teams.

Well only one team is getting in at it’s the highest rated champion of all the non power5 conferences...
I don't think it's like that. Aren't there potentially 3 at-large bids? Maybe 2 are reserved for P5 and Notre Dame though? But think recently, UCF, Memphis, Cincy, all had good years recently and could have been in an expanded playoff. Boise State is usually in that convo too, along with BYU. Why would any recruit want to go to a bottom of the conference school like Illinois is currently, where you're going to get pushed around for the first couple of years and maybe, maybe sniff a December bowl game your senior season, when the alternative would be to go to UCF/Memphis/Cincy/Boise State/BYU and compete for a playoff spot each season you play?

I don't think it's like that. Aren't there potentially 3 at-large bids? Maybe 2 are reserved for P5 and Notre Dame though? But think recently, UCF, Memphis, Cincy, all had good years recently and could have been in an expanded playoff. Boise State is usually in that convo too, along with BYU. Why would any recruit want to go to a bottom of the conference school like Illinois is currently, where you're going to get pushed around for the first couple of years and maybe, maybe sniff a December bowl game your senior season, when the alternative would be to go to UCF/Memphis/Cincy/Boise State/BYU and compete for a playoff spot each season you play?
it'll be the P5 conf champs and the SEC 2nd place (some years and 3rd), along with another conf runner up and ND or an unbeaten G5 team

Finally!

I also want 16.. conf title games aren’t playoff games when there are multiple instances of teams getting in after losing/not even playing in them.
I didn't mind 'bama getting in 10 years ago for the rematch against LSU. The #3 team that year was Oklahoma State, which had just lost it's last game to unranked Iowa State. Obviously LSU vs. Ok. State would have been a colossal beat-down.

Are you talking about just the New Years 6 bowls?

12 teams are selected each football season for these major, top tier bowls. These are required to include the champions of the ACC B1G Big 12, SEC and Pac 12. In addition, the highest-ranked champion from the The AAC, CUSA, MAC Mountain West and Sun Belt is guaranteed a berth if the group's top team is not in the playoff. Most of the time the teams selected are in the top 12. I would guess 10% of the time a team will sneak in ranked lower than 12

Exactly. And by giving the first 4 teams a bye, this is essentially saying, "we know who the 4 best teams are, you guys aren't them, but for the sake of a large money grab, you guys can beat on each other for another game before getting pounded by the 4 best teams."

I know there is that group of folks that love the importance regular season but i don't think it is diminished much if goal is to win your conference. Also, with the large strength of schedule component and Road Win multiplier in non conference games, we would start seeing a lot more game like OU vs Nebraska when teams realize prepping for conference and getting non conference road wins is more important than scheduling to be undefeated or with one loss which is currently almost mandatory to make the 4 team bracket.
Unfortunately, the part that would be diminished would be when a top team in the conference trips over it's own feet and loses to a noticeable worse (outside top 25) opponent. What used to make that great was a loss like that would ruin their chances of playing for the national championship, unless other top teams had bad losses, and that suspense week in and week out is what makes college football great.

Now one loss like that won't have nearly the same sting, so people will just brush it off like they do when a good NFL team loses to the Jets or something.

Reactions: bigboxes
Exactly. And by giving the first 4 teams a bye, this is essentially saying, "we know who the 4 best teams are, you guys aren't them, but for the sake of a large money grab, you guys can beat on each other for another game before getting pounded by the 4 best teams."
would be infinitely more interested than the games the 8-16 teams play in today

the entire existence of the NCAA is for the sake of a large money grab

Reactions: ATX Husker
The conference championship games become less meaningful, that doesn't mean they go away with 12. Now if you go to 16, then they become almost an exhibition. Not very often have the top 2 teams from a P5 league not been in the top 16. It only becomes important to the teams that were the runners up in the divisions.

The thought on Fordham is that if you can get to 2 or 3 losses and still be in the top 16 then you won't have to play the Fordhams of the world. So it does have to do with it. The only reason Nebraska scheduled Fordham was to get a home game in September. That is it.

As far as the playoff goes, I have never been a proponent of going past 4. I can't think of a single time when after the champ was crowned in the CFP final that I thought you know what, one of the teams 5-12 would have been able to beat them.

When crowning a national champion in football, I don't think a conference champion should get an AQ. There is always a league or leagues that is/ are having a down year and that champion isn't worthy of a spot in the 4 team playoff. If the goal is to find the best team in the country, and I assume by the name of the event, College Football Playoff, that is the goal, It should be the best x number of teams playing for that title. If the number is 12 and the champion of the Big Ten is 13, too bad, you aren't one of the 12 best teams. Winning a conference title doesn't automatically make you one of the best (4, 8, 12, 16...)teams.

Conference champs from the P5 deserve to be on the playoffs for the national title period.. This isn’t the logic of basketball where the league champion has to win a tournament.. The reason for a CCG is because teams are divided up into divisions.. If there going to have as many as 16 they might as well get rid of the divisions all together and have no CCG, but that won’t happen..

2020 with 12 team playoff

1-SEC - Alabama - 1
2-ACC - Clemson - 2
3-Big Ten - Ohio St - 3
4-Big 12 - Oklahoma - 5
5-Pac 12 - Oregon - 25
6-At large - Notre Dame - 4
7-G5 - Cincinnati - 8
8-At large - Texas A&M - 5
9-At large - Florida - 7
10-At large - Georgia - 9
11-At large - Iowa St - 10
12-At large - Indiana -11

Indiana at Oregon
Iowa St at Notre Dame
Georgia at Cincinnati
Florida at A&M

Ind/Ore winner vs OU
ISU/ND winner vs Ohio St
UGa/Cin winner vs Clemson
A&M/ Florida winner vs Alabama

semis
finals

Assuming P5 gets 1-5 based on rankings and ND is first at large, since they are only selected if they are ranked at a certain spot. If they say ND gets the spot of their ranking then they are 4, OU becomes 5 plays Indiana and Oregon becomes 6 and plays Iowa St.
4 SEC
1 ACC
2 Big 10
2 Big 12
1 Pac 12
1 G5
1 Ind

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
2020 with 12 team playoff

1-SEC - Alabama - 1
2-ACC - Clemson - 2
3-Big Ten - Ohio St - 3
4-Big 12 - Oklahoma - 5
5-Pac 12 - Oregon - 25
6-At large - Notre Dame - 4
7-G5 - Cincinnati - 8
8-At large - Texas A&M - 5
9-At large - Florida - 7
10-At large - Georgia - 9
11-At large - Iowa St - 10
12-At large - Indiana -11

Indiana at Oregon
Iowa St at Notre Dame
Georgia at Cincinnati
Florida at A&M

Ind/Ore winner vs OU
ISU/ND winner vs Ohio St
UGa/Cin winner vs Clemson
A&M/ Florida winner vs Alabama

semis
finals

Assuming P5 gets 1-5 based on rankings and ND is first at large, since they are only selected if they are ranked at a certain spot. If they say ND gets the spot of their ranking then they are 4, OU becomes 5 plays Indiana and Oregon becomes 6 and plays Iowa St.
4 SEC
1 ACC
2 Big 10
2 Big 12
1 Pac 12
1 G5
1 Ind
Maybe it would be better if you used 2019.. You can’t use last year Covid year not every team played the same amount of games..

Conference champs from the P5 deserve to be on the playoffs for the national title period.. This isn’t the logic of basketball where the league champion has to win a tournament.. The reason for a CCG is because teams are divided up into divisions.. If there going to have as many as 16 they might as well get rid of the divisions all together and have no CCG, but that won’t happen..
That logic doesn't justify why a P5 champ should be playing in the playoff. That is a justification for why there should be conference championship games. One determines a conference champion one is designed to determine a national champion.

Last year Oregon was ranked 25 in the final poll, but because Washington had a Covid issue, they weren't worthy of playing in a 12 or 16 team tournament. They lost to Oregon St and California, that right there is proof they weren't top 12 or 16. I know Covid was probably a 1 year thing, but it could be probation like when Penn St and Ohio St were passed up by Wisconsin.

Last edited:
Why would anyone be against a bigger playoff? So a 3 loss team gets in, who cares, if that team happens to be the team you like, you are going to have an erection.

And the argument that it takes away from the regular season is lame. You know why I love every Husker game, because it is a Husker game! That is why it matters to me, because it is the team I like. Not because 1 loss might knock them out.

That logic doesn't justify why a P5 champ should be playing in the playoff. That is a justification for why there should be conference championship games. One determines a conference champion was is designed to determine a national champion.

Last year Oregon was ranked 25 in the final poll, but because Washington had a Covid issue, they weren't worthy of playing in a 12 or 16 team tournament. They lost to Oregon St and California, that right there is proof they weren't top 12 or 16. I know Covid was probably a 1 year thing, but it could be probation like when Penn St and Ohio St were passed up by Wisconsin.

Don’t use last year Covid season , that’s ridiculous to do..

Why would anyone be against a bigger playoff? So a 3 loss team gets in, who cares, if that team happens to be the team you like, you are going to have an erection.

And the argument that it takes away from the regular season is lame. You know why I love every Husker game, because it is a Husker game! That is why it matters to me, because it is the team I like. Not because 1 loss might knock them out.
With your logic they should have a 32 team playoff and let everybody that losses less than 4 games get in and take 5 weeks to play it..

This isn’t the NFL..

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Maybe it would be better if you used 2019.. You can’t use last year Covid year not every team played the same amount of games..

LSU -1
Ohio St -2
Clemson -3
Oklahoma -4
Oregon -6 vs Utah
Memphis - 17 vs Penn ST
Georgia vs Florida
Baylor vs Wisconsin
Wisconsin
Florida
Penn St
Utah

3 SEC
3 Big 10
1 ACC
2 PAC
2 Big 12
1 G5

Alabama
Clemson
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
UCF - 8 vs Penn St
Washington - 9 vs LSU
Georgia vs Florida
Ohio St vs Michigan
Michigan
Florida
LSU
Penn St

4 SEC
1 at large
1 ACC
1 G5
1 Pac
1 Big 12
3 Big 10

The matchups will create another problem. I guarantee you that the committee is going to match up Florida and Georgia and Michigan Ohio St in the first round games. So that will lead to the rankings being arbitrarily manipulated to avoid such things.

My point behind it all is that in 2019 Wisconsin was a 3 loss team. Clearly not the best team in the country. In 2018 literally 1/3 of the field Michigan, Florida, LSU and Penn St had 3 losses, Clearly not the best team in the country.

Reactions: huskerfan1414

I couldn't agree more, +1000000000.

LSU -1
Ohio St -2
Clemson -3
Oklahoma -4
Oregon -6 vs Utah
Memphis - 17 vs Penn ST
Georgia vs Florida
Baylor vs Wisconsin
Wisconsin
Florida
Penn St
Utah

3 SEC
3 Big 10
1 ACC
2 PAC
2 Big 12
1 G5

Alabama
Clemson
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
UCF - 8 vs Penn St
Washington - 9 vs LSU
Georgia vs Florida
Ohio St vs Michigan
Michigan
Florida
LSU
Penn St

4 SEC
1 at large
1 ACC
1 G5
1 Pac
1 Big 12
3 Big 10

The matchups will create another problem. I guarantee you that the committee is going to match up Florida and Georgia and Michigan Ohio St in the first round games. So that will lead to the rankings being arbitrarily manipulated to avoid such things.

My point behind it all is that in 2019 Wisconsin was a 3 loss team. Clearly not the best team in the country. In 2018 literally 1/3 of the field Michigan, Florida, LSU and Penn St had 3 losses, Clearly not the best team in the country.

Well with 12 teams there is going to be a couple of 3 loss teams but Wisconsin still won their division and Michigan didn’t… if they had they deserve to be in it along with tOSU..The badgers would know Michigan out by virtue of winning the conference championship and beating tOSU..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT