ADVERTISEMENT

Talk of proposing a expanded College football playoff

when the heck have they ever needed six? most years they cant find four.
I still can’t get my head around the reason conference championship games exist. Lol

They’ve been around since the mid 90’s and not once has winning that game, or even not playing in that game, qualified or disqualified a team from winning, or playing for, a title.

But if the CFP expands to 8, 12 or 16 the. The only reason to have them is to qualify for this tournament. Makes no sense at all.

I still can’t get my head around the reason conference championship games exist. Lol

They’ve been around since the mid 90’s and not once has winning that game, or even not playing in that game, qualified or disqualified a team from winning, or playing for, a title.

But if the CFP expands to 8, 12 or 16 the. The only reason to have them is to qualify for this tournament. Makes no sense at all.
Are you using fine print or are you saying that losing a conference championship game has never prevented someone from winning a NC?

Not sure that helps the cause for expanded playoffs. It the semi finals now aren’t close, let’s expand it so the 5-12 games will be close then when the top 4 play we can have 2 rounds of blowouts.

sometimes more becomes too much. By the time Jan 10th or whatever gets here, I am good with football wrapping up.
In our current status as a program, having more games of other teams playing doesn’t sound all that much fun
If there is a Husker football game on, I am watching it. At the very least it is a social event.

Are you using fine print or are you saying that losing a conference championship game has never prevented someone from winning a NC?

No it hasn’t if you count Alabama even when they lost a CCG they gave them the benefit of doubt but they played LSU 3 times and losing in the CCG wasn’t fair for LSU but that is what the at-large would do …

I like your idea that you can’t have in conference match up from 5-12 and the top 4 can’t play against another conference opponent when matching up the top 4..

You’re just a $&it stirrer wanting to argue.. But that is what I can like about you, but you DO..
It does but again it’s like a playoff game no two ways about it.. You win your in you lose have to get pity from the selection committee that you get a at-large berth..

Other wise there is no sense playing these CCG..
Am I misunderstanding what you wrote?

Am I misunderstanding what you wrote?
What are you having a HARD time understanding?
if they use the CCG it becomes playoff games in all P5 conferences to qualify for the playoffs..

If one of your so called teams losses the committee will see to it that they Qualify..

This isn’t rocket science.. And you would be flipping me the same $&it if I was going the other direction....

May come to a vote on July 17-18..

Power5 conference game champions and top rated conference champ non Power5 would be 6, they other 6 teams would be at- large berths…

I’m all for expanding the playoffs but 12 is too many..

How it would work:
First 4 would get byes… How you going to make that fair.
#5 through #8 would host the other teams.

Thames goes on to say that it is too far early what the TV deal could look like other than it’s a much larger deal than the now averaging 470 million annual payout per year.The current deal is in year 8 of a 12 year contract on ESPN…
From the very first day playoffs were announced I've always said I thought a playoff of 8 teams was the ideal number. Automatically includes the 5 P5 champions plus 3 of the remaining other best teams as picked by the committee. In my view that's a fair representation and a manageable schedule.

What are you having a HARD time understanding?
if they use the CCG it becomes playoff games in all P5 conferences to qualify for the playoffs..

If one of your so called teams losses the committee will see to it that they Qualify..

This isn’t rocket science.. And you would be flipping me the same $&it if I was going the other direction....
What you are not understanding is that the CCG means nothing if it doesn't matter if you win it or not. The ONLY time it is going to mean something, in a 12 team playoff, is when a team that is outside the top 15 wins the CCG.

2019 SEC LSU and Georgia both get in regardless of outcome of CCG
2019 Big Ten Wisconsin and Ohio St both get in regardless of outcome of CCG
2019 Big 12 Oklahoma and Baylor both get in regardless of outcome of CCG
2019 Pac 12 Oregon and Utah both get in regardless of outcome of CCG
2019 ACC Clemson in regardless, #23 9-4 Virginia only in with a win.

So in all of the P5 CCGs, one meant anything.

What you are not understanding is that the CCG means nothing if it doesn't matter if you win it or not. The ONLY time it is going to mean something, in a 12 team playoff, is when a team that is outside the top 15 wins the CCG.

2019 SEC LSU and Georgia both get in regardless of outcome of CCG
2019 Big Ten Wisconsin and Ohio St both get in regardless of outcome of CCG
2019 Big 12 Oklahoma and Baylor both get in regardless of outcome of CCG
2019 Pac 12 Oregon and Utah both get in regardless of outcome of CCG
2019 ACC Clemson in regardless, #23 9-4 Virginia only in with a win.

So in all of the P5 CCGs, one meant anything.
Yours is a fairy tale scenario at the time when there was only a 4 team playoff. committee decides the top 4 ... In the new playoff scenario all 10 are possibly in..

It works with a expanded playoff..

Yours is a fairy tale scenario at the time when there was only a 4 team playoff. committee decides the top 4 ... In the new playoff scenario all 10 are possibly in..

I am sorry, what fairy tale scenario? I already provided you the teams that would have made it in 2019, no Virginia. If Virginia would have won the CCG over Clemson, then Virginia is in and Utah is out, so all 10 wouldn't make it. ACC gains one and Pac 12 down one.

Of course, if all 10 did make it, wouldn't that support my point that the CCG would be irrelevant in an expanded playoff.

Dude, we get it, you hate college football.

It was pre-playoff, but didn't K-State lose a chance to play for the title when they kicked away that CCG to Texas A&M?

(I fully realize it's probably not relevant to this discussion, but I still like to bring up that game at any possible opportunity!)

Reactions: scarletred and 54T
It was pre-playoff, but didn't K-State lose a chance to play for the title when they kicked away that CCG to Texas A&M?

(I fully realize it's probably not relevant to this discussion, but I still like to bring up that game at any possible opportunity!)
Correct, it was the 1998 season. K State lost to A&M and none of the BCS bowls selected them, so they had to go to the Alamo Bowl and Purdue beat them there. 11-2 overall.

New rule was created that said the #3 ranked team would automatically qualify for BCS game.

Reactions: schuele
I am sorry, what fairy tale scenario? I already provided you the teams that would have made it in 2019, no Virginia. If Virginia would have won the CCG over Clemson, then Virginia is in and Utah is out, so all 10 wouldn't make it. ACC gains one and Pac 12 down one.

Of course, if all 10 did make it, wouldn't that support my point that the CCG would be irrelevant in an expanded playoff.
Why would Utah be out in the so called new scenario 12 team playoffs? They ended up 11-3 because they lost to texass in the Alamo bowl..

Why would Utah be out in the so called new scenario 12 team playoffs? They ended up 11-3 because they lost to texass in the Alamo bowl..
The final CFP poll comes out before the bowls. Utah was ranked 11. Memphis was ranked 17 and the G5 gets a berth. That puts Utah on the bubble. In your rules of CCG winner getting the auto berth, if Virginia had won the game, Virginia gets the berth and Utah falls out. You only have 12 spots

The final CFP poll comes out before the bowls. Utah was ranked 11. Memphis was ranked 17 and the G5 gets a berth. That puts Utah on the bubble. In your rules of CCG winner getting the auto berth, if Virginia had won the game, Virginia gets the berth and Utah falls out. You only have 12 spots
There would be 6 at- Large the committee would decide if any of the losers would get in along with possibly adding Florida which would have given the SEC 4 teams..Again it would be up to the committee to choose the 6 at- large teams that didn’t win their CCG..

There would be 6 at- Large the committee would decide if any of the losers would get in along with possibly adding Florida which would have given the SEC 4 teams..Again it would be up to the committee to choose the 6 at- large teams that didn’t win their CCG..
What? There are 4 at large berths now and they use the CFP poll to determine the 4, why would they not use the CFP poll to determine the 12?

that, and it's just better to get it right.

I would rather know, definitively, who the best 16 teams are instead of just the best 4 or 8.
And how do you plan to know that? So the committee might not get the top 4 or 8 right, but they will get the top 16? Like that's a magic number and in no way shape or form is #17 deserving of the 16th spot?

As for getting it right, will it be right if the obvious #1 or #2 team suffers a serious injury while playing #15/16 and lose that game? A 16 team playoff in 2019 where Burrow gets hurt playing the 16th ranked team would mean LSU doesn't even advance to the Final 8. But hey, we got it right!

And how do you plan to know that? So the committee might not get the top 4 or 8 right, but they will get the top 16? Like that's a magic number and in no way shape or form is #17 deserving of the 16th spot?

As for getting it right, will it be right if the obvious #1 or #2 team suffers a serious injury while playing #15/16 and lose that game? A 16 team playoff in 2019 where Burrow gets hurt playing the 16th ranked team would mean LSU doesn't even advance to the Final 8. But hey, we got it right!
Yes, on-field results > whataboutisms. Obviously.

The injury thing is such an odd thing to focus on.
But it is real. Adding potentially 2 additional games to the schedule for team ranked 5-12. Both of those games would be against, presumably, good teams, some more physical than others. At 70 snaps per game for the offense, that is 140 more opportunities for an injury to happen.

I am not saying it will happen a lot, just saying it should be taken into consideration and have been a factor

Reactions: GoGophers_NoBigRed
So your reasons are

1. Someone might get hurt
2. You watched a USC team play Oregon State, a game that OSU won and USC finished 12-1, and in this new playoff would have a chance to still win it all, when two other 1 loss teams got to play for it all instead.
Yeah, those are some of the reasons. How would you feel in 1995 if Tommy Frazier got hurt playing some 3 loss team in the playoffs that wasn't no where near Nebraska's level? And it's not like that USC game is an isolated instance - games like that occurred every year in college football. And losing to an unranked team should automatically eliminate you from competing for the national championship - there are always a few top teams that would never do that.

Before the CFP, the regular season was the playoff. Now you guys want to water it down like college basketball. Sure, Duke/North Carolina is interesting, but it would be a HECK of a lot more interesting if the loser was prohibited from the tourny, wouldn't it?

Will you or will you not watch the new expanded playoff games?

If you answer is yes, what are you crying about?
If you answer is no, why do you care if you are not watching it anyway?
Yes: crying about a watered-down regular season.
No: care because now what I was watching is a shell of its former self

Look, you don't get something for free. To have more games means you diminish the importance of the games you already have. If the playoff goes to 12+ teams, the playoff BECOMES the season and the first 12 games everyone plays are just exhibition games for seeding the playoffs.

Everyone must be sick of having same team win. Maybe they’ll switch conferences and screw themselves like we did. There’s been like 1 or 2 years where you needed 6, but no one has ever made a case for the 8th team deserves big a shot.
Can you name some? Oklahoma has proved recently that it's hard to find 4 deserving teams.

how is the quality less with 8 more teams? the semifinal games as they stand are hardly ever close.
The quality of the regular season is less because now when a top 10 team loses to an inferior opponent, people will just shrug their shoulders and say "so what, they'll still make the playoffs, and winning there is what really counts". 10 years ago it wasn't anything like that.

As for the second sentence, I agree. But you want MORE games that won't be close?

Someone said people who feel like me can just not watch the extra games and we won't notice, or something to that effect. How about we leave it alone and for those of you who want more football, watch some reruns.

It is just odd that they are trying to offer us more of what we love and there are people that are acting like they don't want that.
How do you feel about the gov't trying to offer us more of "what we love" by printing off new money? I mean, how can anyone be against that?

Same logic applies here.

The quality of the regular season is less because now when a top 10 team loses to an inferior opponent, people will just shrug their shoulders and say "so what, they'll still make the playoffs, and winning there is what really counts". 10 years ago it wasn't anything like that.

As for the second sentence, I agree. But you want MORE games that won't be close?

Someone said people who feel like me can just not watch the extra games and we won't notice, or something to that effect. How about we leave it alone and for those of you who want more football, watch some reruns.
or the bowl games.

In our current status as a program, having more games of other teams playing doesn’t sound all that much fun
Actually it'll hurt teams that don't make it. Think of all the extra practice time the 12+ teams will get. Us Gophers used to not like that when we weren't bowling. Other teams could get more development time with their young guys.

What game are you talking about? You mean when their QB was nominated for the Heisman and then they got a beat down by Baylor, letting Alabama play ND?

Okay, to the weirdo gopher fan, that posts here for some reason.

I would been like "that sucks" if a Husker player got hurt in a playoff game, that had been expanded. That is it.

Then on to the second "point", the regular season is not getting watered down, there are only 12 regular season games, each one is an event.

These games happen once a week, and they will continue to only be once a week. For the most part the day/time is set before the season even comes close to starting. They are events for people, not just games.

Last edited:
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Yes, on-field results > whataboutisms. Obviously.
That logic doesn't work for 8 teams? The 9th team had from Sept. to Dec. to showcase it's talent. If they can't do better than #9, they aren't worthy of a championship shot.

Unless you like the NFL stuff, where a 9-7 team can get hot late, sneak into the playoffs, and win the Super Bowl? I think that is ridiculous.

That logic doesn't work for 8 teams? The 9th team had from Sept. to Dec. to showcase it's talent. If they can't do better than #9, they aren't worthy of a championship shot.

Unless you like the NFL stuff, where a 9-7 team can get hot late, sneak into the playoffs, and win the Super Bowl? I think that is ridiculous.
I would like the subjectivity to begin as far down the rankings as possible.

obviously.

ADVERTISEMENT