ADVERTISEMENT

Talk of proposing a expanded College football playoff

We pack the spring game, we pack FNL, we pack practices and games vs Fordham...why are we acting like we would not watch the Skers in a playoff game with 16 teams or 32 teams.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Sure! Why not?

You would still watch the Husker games, right?

Think about it 12 regular seasons games a bye week and 5 weeks to get to a championship game this has nothing to do if I want to watch Nebraska.. Hell by that time the Basketball season would 1/2 over…
More isn’t better and too many is just plain stupid..

Reactions: GoGophers_NoBigRed
Don’t use last year Covid season , that’s ridiculous to do..
Then I'll use the 2012 season where Wisconsin was unranked and because Penn St and Ohio St were on probation they would have been playing in a national championship playoff

But the fact of the matter, my problem with it isn't when the team that is supposed to win does win, it is when the lesser team upsets the team that should win. There have been a number of times that the top team in the SEC East had 3 losses going into the CCG, or the Pac 12 south team had 3 losses going into their championship game, had those teams won the conference championship game, that doesn't make them one of the best teams. The team that lost will more than likely still make the playoffs. So some other, more worthy team is going to get knocked out.

I hope that makes sense

Well with 12 teams there is going to be a couple of 3 loss teams but Wisconsin still won their division and Michigan didn’t… if they had they deserve to be in it along with tOSU..The badgers would know Michigan out by virtue of winning the conference championship and beating tOSU..
Why would Michigan get knocked out? Are you now saying you have to win a division in order to be considered?

Then I'll use the 2012 season where Wisconsin was unranked and because Penn St and Ohio St were on probation they would have been playing in a national championship playoff

But the fact of the matter, my problem with it isn't when the team that is supposed to win does win, it is when the lesser team upsets the team that should win. There have been a number of times that the top team in the SEC East had 3 losses going into the CCG, or the Pac 12 south team had 3 losses going into their championship game, had those teams won the conference championship game, that doesn't make them one of the best teams. The team that lost will more than likely still make the playoffs. So some other, more worthy team is going to get knocked out.

I hope that makes sense
It does but again it’s like a playoff game no two ways about it.. You win your in you lose have to get pity from the selection committee that you get a at-large berth..

Other wise there is no sense playing these CCG..

Why would Michigan get knocked out? Are you now saying you have to win a division in order to be considered?
No follow along they’d be knock out because Ohio St beat them and Wisconsin won the CCG if they only took two Big 10 teams.

would be infinitely more interested than the games the 8-16 teams play in today
While true, those games are only uninteresting now because of the expansion of letting 4 teams compete for the championship. Back when we had only the top 2, the other bowls garnered a ton of interest. Watching bowl games all day long on Jan 1 was actually a good time. Now it's a waste of time.

So basically, what you're saying is that we created a playoff, it ruined the other bowl games, and that's justification for expanding the playoff further, because now those other bowl games are boring.

Think about it 12 regular seasons games a bye week and 5 weeks to get to a championship game this has nothing to do if I want to watch Nebraska.. Hell by that time the Basketball season would 1/2 over…
More isn’t better and too many is just plain stupid..
Yeah but to solve your problem all you have to do is not watch. For you to literally get your way of "more is not better" all you have to do is not watch.

Why would anyone be against a bigger playoff? So a 3 loss team gets in, who cares, if that team happens to be the team you like, you are going to have an erection.

And the argument that it takes away from the regular season is lame. You know why I love every Husker game, because it is a Husker game! That is why it matters to me, because it is the team I like. Not because 1 loss might knock them out.
Re: bolded: what about this scenario. Take Alabama last year or let's go to 2019 and LSU in case people want to ignore the covid season. Make LSU play some 3 loss team before the Oklahoma semifinal game and Burrow gets hit in the knee and is out for the rest of the playoff. Clearly throughout the season LSU showed their separation from the rest of the pack, and now it's for nothing because they played a team that had no business competing for the NC.

Not saying it's likely, but if it happened when your team was ranked 1 or 2, you'd probably be like "wtf was the point of us even having to play a 3 loss team".

As far as your second paragraph, you know there are fans that watch other games than just the ones their team is in right? Back in 2008, a top 5 USC team went to Oregon State to play an unranked Beavers team. The Beavers got up early and I watched the game with my eyes glued to the TV to see if Oregon State could hold on. They did. That loss was brutal for USC. A 16 team playoff would have made that loss irrelevant and the game wouldn't have held anyone's interest outside of USC and Oregon State fans.

This idea of letting G5 teams into the playoff is going to ruin things because the bottom teams in the P5 conferences will never be able to even compete and try and improve. Right now you can at least hope to hit on a few 3 stars and maybe get a local 4 star recruit from your backyard and have a good season once in a while. With G5 teams competing for playoff spots, recruits who don't go to top P5 programs will start choosing G5 schools over the mid- and bottom-tier P5 schools.
Where do ND, BYU and other independents fit in?

Re: bolded: what about this scenario. Take Alabama last year or let's go to 2019 and LSU in case people want to ignore the covid season. Make LSU play some 3 loss team before the Oklahoma semifinal game and Burrow gets hit in the knee and is out for the rest of the playoff. Clearly throughout the season LSU showed their separation from the rest of the pack, and now it's for nothing because they played a team that had no business competing for the NC.

Not saying it's likely, but if it happened when your team was ranked 1 or 2, you'd probably be like "wtf was the point of us even having to play a 3 loss team".

As far as your second paragraph, you know there are fans that watch other games than just the ones their team is in right? Back in 2008, a top 5 USC team went to Oregon State to play an unranked Beavers team. The Beavers got up early and I watched the game with my eyes glued to the TV to see if Oregon State could hold on. They did. That loss was brutal for USC. A 16 team playoff would have made that loss irrelevant and the game wouldn't have held anyone's interest outside of USC and Oregon State fans.
So your reasons are

1. Someone might get hurt
2. You watched a USC team play Oregon State, a game that OSU won and USC finished 12-1, and in this new playoff would have a chance to still win it all, when two other 1 loss teams got to play for it all instead.

I couldn't agree more, +1000000000.

If all the Power 5 conference champions are not included you don't have a championship. There is simply isn't enough cross play in the non conference to truly know how teams stack up across conferences with any degree of certainty. Pac 12 in Covid basketball season is a prime example. There wasn't really much non conference so people make assumptions. In case of Pac 12 basketball, everyone was simply wrong about how they stacked up compared to other leagues.

Personally, I would prefer 12 as I can see a situation where a team like Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota or Wisconsin get in from time to time. Those teams can definitely finish in the top 12 and win a one game conference championship. Those team will not go undefeated in the Big Ten and with even with 1 loss will not get benefit of the doubt a program like Ohio State, OU or a top SEC will get making it nearly impossible for some team to get in an makes the season mostly irrelevant for too many teams. 12 changes that an gives fans of way more teams a legit chance just like Wild Card did in baseball or the NCAA mens tournament.

All that being said, I think it is simply a matter of time before we get to 8 and once they see the interest and money that generates it will go to 12 or 16.

Last edited:
Of course they are going to expand it, once they went to a playoff it was bound to happen because people would complain about 4 teams not being enough because there is no perfect system!

If they went to 8 teams as some of you propose, it would only be a matter of time for more expansion. How do you decipher 7,8,9,10? There is no perfect system.

All this is going to accomplish is watering down the once great regular season that is CFB and make it worse. The playoff has already weakened it and has demolished the bowls.

You’re going to have a lot of undeserving 2-3 loss teams in this. Heck, last year the problem was there werent 4 deserving teams. Four is hard to find.

Not only will you have 2 and 3 loss teams, rendering the regular season worthless, but think about this: A few years ago Alabama beat Georgia twice. TWICE. Once in the regular season, once in the conference title game. Had the playoff been expanded, Alabama would potentially have had to beat them THREE TIMES to prove that they were the better team. Why? Why should they have to do that? Whats the point of beating Georgia in the regular season AND conference title game in that situation? Answer: there is no point. Its meaningless.

If you go back you’ll see the three game scenario is more likely than you’d think, even with 8 team playoffs.

Playoff is ruining college football. “Hey! What a great sport! Fantastic regular season! Conference titles with intrigue that matter! Historic (traditional) bowl games where people pack the stadiums and kids play their hearts out! Drama every year!...... You know what? Lets change it. Yeah, it aint broke but lets fix it.”

There is no perfect system. Each new system they think up is worse.

While true, those games are only uninteresting now because of the expansion of letting 4 teams compete for the championship. Back when we had only the top 2, the other bowls garnered a ton of interest. Watching bowl games all day long on Jan 1 was actually a good time. Now it's a waste of time.

So basically, what you're saying is that we created a playoff, it ruined the other bowl games, and that's justification for expanding the playoff further, because now those other bowl games are boring.
that, and it's just better to get it right.

I would rather know, definitively, who the best 16 teams are instead of just the best 4 or 8.

It does but again it’s like a playoff game no two ways about it.. You win your in you lose have to get pity from the selection committee that you get a at-large berth..

Other wise there is no sense playing these CCG..
CCG are used to determine conference champions. That is what they are designed to do. That is the sense they make in playing them.

Reactions: scarletred
You could do that too! There are lots of ways to make sure you don't watch.

You’re the one with absolutely no common sense on this issue..

Fact is their voting on a 12 team college football playoffs..

So maybe you shouldn’t watch because it’s only 12.🙄

No follow along they’d be knock out because Ohio St beat them and Wisconsin won the CCG if they only took two Big 10 teams.
Again, why would they limit the number of teams per conference? If a 4 loss conference champions can make the tournament shouldn't the 1 or 2 loss division runner up?

You’re the one with absolutely no common sense on this issue..

Fact is their voting on a 12 team college football playoffs..

So maybe you shouldn’t watch because it’s only 12.🙄
Deal, you stop watching and posting because they expand and I will as well.

I guess I would like to see the proposal. My biggest concerns are

Are there going to be limits on number of teams per league,
will they take 2 G5 teams if they are ranked
will they avoid first round rematches of games already played

I could get behind a conference champ getting the AQ IF they are in the top 16 in the final poll or whatever is used to determine the field.

What the hell does that mean.. Go have a few of 🥃🥃🥃these and get back with me..
Will you or will you not watch the new expanded playoff games?

If you answer is yes, what are you crying about?
If you answer is no, why do you care if you are not watching it anyway?

I could get behind a conference champ getting the AQ IF they are in the top 16 in the final poll or whatever is used to determine the field.
My biggest concerns are how much money I will lose betting on more playoff games.

I’ll take a stab.
1) No
2) Yes
3) Won’t be any hard rule, may try to avoid them by manipulating polls.

I would like to ask if they’ll avoid rematches for teams who have already played twice just in general, not only the first round....the answer will be....no.

Again, why would they limit the number of teams per conference? If a 4 loss conference champions can make the tournament shouldn't the 1 or 2 loss division runner up?

That for the committee to decide but if your a 4 loss team and win the CCG you should be in the playoffs that is why they play the game.. And all you people that want a 16 team play off that is what a CCG actually is..

Will you or will you not watch the new expanded playoff games?

If you answer is yes, what are you crying about?
If you answer is no, why do you care if you are not watching it anyway?
You’re crying because you want quantity I want quality..Big difference..

You’re the one that brought up about the not watching B.S.
I know, because it is all that matters. You are going to watch, you know you are, so the fact is you don't care if they expand the number of teams that get in.

Now, if you said "If they expand, I won't watch, I will not watch an inferior product" then you would have a case.

But what you are doing would be like if your favorite drink changed their recipe and you felt it tasted not as good...but you kept buying and drinking it. Makes no sense because you are still consuming the product.

Everyone must be sick of having same team win. Maybe they’ll switch conferences and screw themselves like we did. There’s been like 1 or 2 years where you needed 6, but no one has ever made a case for the 8th team deserves big a shot.

how is the quality less with 8 more teams? the semifinal games as they stand are hardly ever close.

this does not make sense to me at all
If anything, we would get closer and more exciting first and second round games, as opposed to the lame semifinal games.

It is just odd that they are trying to offer us more of what we love and there are people that are acting like they don't want that.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Everyone must be sick of having same team win. Maybe they’ll switch conferences and screw themselves like we did. There’s been like 1 or 2 years where you needed 6, but no one has ever made a case for the 8th team deserves big a shot.
when the heck have they ever needed six? most years they cant find four.

If anything, we would get closer and more exciting first and second round games, as opposed to the lame semifinal games.

It is just odd that they are trying to offer us more of what we love and there are people that are acting like they don't want that.
Not sure that helps the cause for expanded playoffs. It the semi finals now aren’t close, let’s expand it so the 5-12 games will be close then when the top 4 play we can have 2 rounds of blowouts.

sometimes more becomes too much. By the time Jan 10th or whatever gets here, I am good with football wrapping up.
In our current status as a program, having more games of other teams playing doesn’t sound all that much fun

Reactions: scarletred
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT