ADVERTISEMENT

Talent on the field vs. Buffalo

Hoboken Joe

Walk On
Nov 12, 2019
A little perspective for later today on the overall level of talent taking the field for each coach:

247 national rankings (couldn't find rankings below 100 for Rivals)

2021 class: Nebraska ranked 20, Buffalo ranked 100
2020 class: Nebraska ranked 20, Buffalo ranked 131
2019 class: Nebraska ranked 17, Buffalo ranked 106
2018 class: Nebraska ranked 23, Buffalo ranked 136
2017 class: Nebraska ranked 23, Buffalo ranked 115

Average class last 5 seasons: Nebraska ranked 20.6, Buffalo ranked 117.2.

You can use different services but it won't move the numbers a whole lot.

Buffalo has zero athletes on their roster that are a 4 star Rivals ranking. The roster is comprised of 3 star and 2 star rated athletes. Every season they are the 6th-9th rated MAC team for recruiting rankings.

Goes to show talent can only take you so far, will see how game ends up, but if the score is close then you know why because the talent difference is heavily unbalanced in the huskers favor.

A little perspective for later today on the overall level of talent taking the field for each coach:

247 national rankings (couldn't find rankings below 100 for Rivals)

2021 class: Nebraska ranked 20, Buffalo ranked 100
2020 class: Nebraska ranked 20, Buffalo ranked 131
2019 class: Nebraska ranked 17, Buffalo ranked 106
2018 class: Nebraska ranked 23, Buffalo ranked 136
2017 class: Nebraska ranked 23, Buffalo ranked 115

Average class last 5 seasons: Nebraska ranked 20.6, Buffalo ranked 117.2.

You can use different services but it won't move the numbers a whole lot.

Buffalo has zero athletes on their roster that are a 4 star Rivals ranking. The roster is comprised of 3 star and 2 star rated athletes. Every season they are the 6th-9th rated MAC team for recruiting rankings.

Yeah but....after all the defections, all of those classes of ours would be lucky to be a top 50, at least it feels like that anyway.

In my opinion what this shows is that after ranking the top 10-20 players at each position it really just becomes a guessing game.

Like, you recruit and sign the 58th best center in the country, how is he any better than the 160th ranked center, that is just such a guessing. game at that point.

This simply shows what a difference a good coaching staff can make. I truely think that Frost won't pick which players get to see the field based on ability, rather it's about who he likes.

Yeah but....after all the defections, all of those classes of ours would be lucky to be a top 50, at least it feels like that anyway.
We’ve lost some of our talent, and I think “net” rankings should be something those services get into during the wild west of transfers….
but for purposes of today, Buffalo lost something like 15 players this last off season, and their coaching staff arrived after spring ball.

I don’t look past any opponent because we’re not good, but if we can’t handle this team soundly it’ll be even more obvious how our staff is failing.

Talent is completely irrelevant, ask Florida under Muschamp or USC under Kiffin.

Not being able to even line up correctly has zero to do with talent.

Reactions: Sinomatic
Nebraska was in a much worse position when Scott Frost took over from Mike Riley, no other school in the history of colleges has ever been in as bad of a position as Mike Riley left Nebraska.

It takes many years to dissect that toxic culture that Riley bestowed upon the mighty Nebraska where you cannot overcome that in four years.

When you take out the transfers that have happened - through no fault of Scott Frost – our class rankings all end up at 120.

Did I leave anything out sunshine pumpers?

Nebraska was in a much worse position when Scott Frost took over from Mike Riley, no other school in the history of colleges has ever been in as bad of a position as Mike Riley left Nebraska.

It takes many years to dissect that toxic culture that Riley bestowed upon the mighty Nebraska where you cannot overcome that in four years.

When you take out the transfers that have happened - through no fault of Scott Frost – our class rankings all end up at 120.

Did I leave anything out sunshine pumpers?
some people choose to look at things in a pragmatic manner instead of a ubiquitously negative manner. I guess some would rather pump sunshine than sewage.

This simply shows what a difference a good coaching staff can make. I truely think that Frost won't pick which players get to see the field based on ability, rather it's about who he likes.
I think he plays the best players, in most scenarios. The problem is, those players dont have good coaching to eliminate the mistakes

some people choose to look at things in a pragmatic manner instead of a ubiquitously negative manner. I guess some would rather pump sunshine than sewage.
Please don’t be bitter that I left out some of your excuses from the past three years in my post? I only had a few minutes to search the past archives. If sure if I spend a half hour looking at your past posts, I could likely add many more…

I think he plays the best players, in most scenarios. The problem is, those players dont have good coaching to eliminate the mistakes
I think his actions show that he made up his mind 3+ years ago (injury notwithstanding) that AM is going to be his QB.
I think Cam was penciled in day one after having zero experience at center that he would have that job.
I'm afraid he had made that same decision on Piper. At this point, the young man is trying his ass off, but he is really subpar at doing the job.
Then, when SF has made the decision in his mind that a particular player WILL be his starter, SF is content with as many mistakes as they make will not affect their playing time.
Spielman fielding punts inside the 5, now Cam doing a poor job but still returning punts, AM (other than broken plays) looks like a incoming high school kid. Cam snapping the ball all over the place for a half a year.
It's a lousy way to try to build a program by showing the entire team that if you are one of the chosen ones, you can screw up time after time and still be the starter. It's a great way to kill morale.
In bigtime football, you should either be able to do the job or someone else should be given the chance. Now when you have Luke as the backup it shows that AM gave the team the best shot at winning. But that's as much a reflection on his ability to recognize a capable backup, by not having had an actual QB that can throw the ball in waiting.
Not trying to dog these kids, its just what reality has been.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeRileyGBR
I think his actions show that he made up his mind 3+ years ago (injury notwithstanding) that AM is going to be his QB.
I think Cam was penciled in day one after having zero experience at center that he would have that job.
I'm afraid he had made that same decision on Piper. At this point, the young man is trying his ass off, but he is really subpar at doing the job.
Then, when SF has made the decision in his mind that a particular player WILL be his starter, SF is content with as many mistakes as they make will not affect their playing time.
Spielman fielding punts inside the 5, now Cam doing a poor job but still returning punts, AM (other than broken plays) looks like a incoming high school kid. Cam snapping the ball all over the place for a half a year.
It's a lousy way to try to build a program by showing the entire team that if you are one of the chosen ones, you can screw up time after time and still be the starter. It's a great way to kill morale.
In bigtime football, you should either be able to do the job or someone else should be given the chance. Now when you have Luke as the backup it shows that AM gave the team the best shot at winning. But that's as much a reflection on his ability to recognize a capable backup, by not having had an actual QB that can throw the ball in waiting.
Not trying to dog these kids, its just what reality has been.
So, who would you have him start at those positions instead of am cam and piper then? Piper is questionable, but the other 2 are clearly the best at their positions

So, who would you have him start at those positions instead of am cam and piper then? Piper is questionable, but the other 2 are clearly the best at their positions
Sir, you missed my point. One point is that once SF makes a decision that an unproven player has the job, he has the job. (Cam who was a tight end. Piper initially recruited as a defensive player.)

Both changed positions and both have had growing pains, much to the detriment of the overall team. Cam has developed into a very good center, but is there any guarantee that Piper has what it takes?

I think its likely NU beats Colorado without all the errant snaps. All of his poor snaps last year led this team to being out of sync, when an even average center likely would have made decent snaps. SF chose to overlook all Cam's mistakes. And it didn't cost him any playing time.

As far as JD and Cam. Poor judgement as when to catch the ball, and then other than one or maybe 2 nice returns by JD, our punt return game has sucked for 3+ years.

All this lack of detail has contributed to the lack of progress in this program. The defense is better because of Covid and the super seniors. Had those kids not been eligible we would be an even weaker overall team.

I've never seen an overall worst coached team at the D1 level. On the rare occasions when the team is ready to play, they never sustain it. I think there are lots and lots of coaches that could come in and far outperform SF.

Please don’t be bitter that I left out some of your excuses from the past three years in my post? I only had a few minutes to search the past archives. If sure if I spend a half hour looking at your past posts, I could likely add many more…
Whatever you think. You're the expert.

ADVERTISEMENT