ADVERTISEMENT

Talent gap widened some more

bob5150

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 30, 2004
We have a few players on the field with elite speed. They had 22+ guys with elite speed and quicks. The talent gap between OU/NU today was wider than OSU/NU 2017. Our teams are slow and they have gotten slower. I tell myself that this defense is young more than they are bad, but I also wonder if any of our kids would play on other D1 teams.

It's not just talent. A huge part of it is the product of coaching.

I'll just post this here.. my summary I guess.

Last year, Chins defense play pretty well and together as a unit, but a lot of 5 & 6 year seniors left after last year.

This year we started out the season playing a lot of zone coverage, which led to getting gashed in the run game the first 3 games.

In the OU game, we switched to a man scheme, and got burned over the top, exposing our defensive backs as not being able to cover their receivers. In the second half, we went back to the 2 high safety zone look, and that's when Urban mentioned if you don't disguise that, we're going to run the ball at you all day.

So it's having to choose the lesser of 2 evils with the personnel that we have. The first 3 games being 'closer' I guess tells me that Chins was doing the best with what he's got all along.

OU was going to blow us out most likely no matter what.

I know you all want Chins fired.

We def need better recruits to take the spots of the guys who left on D last year. We need help at every position on defense. From the line, to the line backers, db's to safeties.

On offense, our offensive line is also not effective and the quarter back room still needs another level upgrade. Under immense pressure, the line gave up, leading to repeated sacks, and then our QB gave up too.

Wide receivers not running routes correctly against a zone defense was brought up on this board as well.

On at least 2 occasions, we kicked it to the left, while the coverage went right. I can only assume that is on the kicker not being good directionally on his kicks. We still need upgrades there. Our field goal kickers have not been automatic, only punting distance and kickoffs were good.

The team psyche is fragile. We saw what they could do in the first series. So the capability of more than a few people is there. But when things got tough, we saw a lot of guys quit.

How you fix this part, will be difficult, once something like that has taken hold.

There was a time in the 3rd quarter that MJ looked a bit unhinged on the sideline as well.. tough day for everyone except the bright spots being the running backs. Best position group on the team. Ervin had lots of nice runs in the 3rd & 4th quarter, although against some reserves.

I liked the way Purdy handled himself running the offense, but as others pointed out, his arm strength is highly suspect. Short yardage stuff he did alright though, but against reserves. He is faster running than I expected.

Corporate or boosters will have to save the sellout streak again this year, because the fans aren't going to do it.

We really need both a talent upgrade as well as a mindset upgrade, neither of which happens overnight. This is going to take a lot of grinding and work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT