ADVERTISEMENT

Tai Webster

Love him in the 6th man role. Has been VERY good the past few weeks, especially finishing at the basket. Hope he stays positive after the missed free throws at the end tonight, gonna need him to come back and continue his strong play against Michigan.

Reactions: newAD
He is not the liability on the floor that he has been the last 2 years..... Night and day difference.

Love him in the 6th man role. Has been VERY good the past few weeks, especially finishing at the basket. Hope he stays positive after the missed free throws at the end tonight, gonna need him to come back and continue his strong play against Michigan.

Agree. He has been solid most of the year. 4/8 from field, 7 boards, 3 assists, and 10 points tonight. Disapointed with the FTs, but luckily it didn't haunt us.

Reactions: jackie_moon33
Discuss...

Physically he is a mis match in our favor. It's in between the ears where he has struggled, you can tell he is very confident now. He thinks he can score anytime he likes. I was going to start a thread that I thought he could develop into a mini Westbrook. I knew people would have gone off but if I think there are similarities in the body type and game.

When he plays well we are a much better team. I think Watson has been the key to the run though. His T/A ratio is excellent and he gives us a lot of confidence when the shot clock is running out we can get a decent shot off. Everyone has been playing well though. The freshmen are developing rapidly and each seemingly brings different strengths to add value.

My only issue with today's game is the lack of assists. We had a great player go OFF, not sure we win without that incredible game from SS.

Discuss...
You and I have discussed Tai previously. Having him come off the bench takes off a lot of pressure to excel for him. He seems more relaxed in the sixth man role.

This might be one of those moments where Glynn starting and Tai coming off the bench is just a better fit for both. Win/win for the team.

Great win tonight! PBA should be rocking on Saturday.

You and I have discussed Tai previously. Having him come off the bench takes off a lot of pressure to excel for him. He seems more relaxed in the sixth man role.

This might be one of those moments where Glynn starting and Tai coming off the bench is just a better fit for both. Win/win for the team.

Great win tonight! PBA should be rocking on Saturday.
What? You're not gonna tell everybody what a rotten coach Miles is tonight? Hmmmm. Guess that will wait til the next loss.

What? You're not gonna tell everybody what a rotten coach Miles is tonight? Hmmmm. Guess that will wait til the next loss.
If I recall I last stated before the 4 game win streak that they would need to win those first 3 as must win games and the games after that don't get any easier. They won a nice one on the road tonight to make it 4. They'll have another tough one on Saturday at home.

I think most people wanted to see progress this year and that's what we are now seeing.

If I recall I last stated before the 4 game win streak that they would need to win those first 3 as must win games and the games after that don't get any easier. They won a nice one on the road tonight to make it 4. They'll have another tough one on Saturday at home.

I think most people wanted to see progress this year and that's what we are now seeing.
Backtracking now I see. Just remember it when you shoot your mouth off next time about our coach and team. Miles has won more significant games than any coach at NU since Nee. That's been a looooong time. Hopefully he's here a long long time.

Backtracking now I see. Just remember it when you shoot your mouth off next time about our coach and team. Miles has won more significant games than any coach at NU since Nee. That's been a looooong time. Hopefully he's here a long long time.
Tap the brakes there big fella. When Miles was losing to teams he shouldn't have, he was criticized. When he beats a team that was likely better, he gets praised.

I'm sure you know that from being on the boards for so long.

Webster is a great sixth man when he plays within himself. There were a few plays tonight where he took some poor shot choices, got out of control or put himself in a really bad position to score with the ball. He needs to realize that he isn't going to be able to back a guy down for 10 seconds and get off a clean look.

Other than those few possessions, he has improved mightily. I've been impressed with what he has done compared to his previous years.

I am really glad he is developing because before this season started I really thought he would be the basketball version of Jamaal Turner (a guy that is highly touted and you keep saying, 'next year he is going to be great!' And he never gets there).

Two years ago Izzo watched a struggling Webster and told Miles to stick with him. Said that Webster has a big upside, lots of potential. Said he liked what he sees in the kid.

I also saw how Tai moved well with the ball but it was so vexing to watch him turn it over, miss free throws and not even try to shoot. Just a strange mix of high potential and poor production.

So we stuck with him and today we are starting to get that which Izzo had pointed out way back then. He's coming around and still has upside to reach. Could be a good one by year end.

He is not the liability on the floor that he has been the last 2 years..... Night and day difference.

"not the liability"? That's prett
Two years ago Izzo watched a struggling Webster and told Miles to stick with him. Said that Webster has a big upside, lots of potential. Said he liked what he sees in the kid.

Many of us said they same thing.

His combo of size and length and athletislcism is unique. If he can get a little bit better with his ball control, he can take it to the rim with just about anyone. Hope he stays confident and aggressive. Not to mention it is awesome to see, considering just about everyone had written him off.

He is getting a lot better, but still has a way to go. As mentioned, he needs to be clutch at the line, but also loves to dribble down to the block and get trapped. He has come a long way, but still has some head-scratching moments. As a whole we are getting better. Hopefully Tai keeps pushing and makes us that much better.

Tai is playing so much more aggressively. It is great to see. Plus he has been getting better at finishing at the basket, something he had been struggling with. Obviously he still misses a couple every once in a while, but I think having Watson on the team and Tai not worrying about having to handle the ball as much has made him such a bigger threat. GBR

Discuss...

I think not having to be the 3rd scoring option has helped his game. Now that there are other players beyond Shields and White producing some offense, he has less pressure. That usually ends up in better results, and that has been evident since he became the 6th man and not a starter.

I feel like Tai has really turned it up this year. It helps big time to have Watson around that kid is going to be damn good before he leaves N. I do feel like Tai is playing with way more confidence. He made some tuff shots last night. Those missed free throws were no doubt a buzz kill to how well he has been playing, but make no mistake totally proud of this kid and the way he has played so far this year! Keep ya head up, and knock them down next time!! GBR
nhlrnhifncsthny_20131108170527.jpg

My take on Tai is this: Sports fans don't always think rationally. If Valentine hits that buzzer beater and Nebraska loses last night, everyone would be completely crucifying Webster. Since Valentine's shot misses, people mostly mention the missed FTs as "meh".

Short story, Webster certainly has improved his game to the place where I am more comfortable with him in the game than some of the alternatives. He clearly hasn't achieved what many prognosticators had predicted or Husker fans had hoped. He is a "nice" player to have on the team. When he graduates, I won't be crushed.

Reactions: leodisflowers
My take on Tai is this: Sports fans don't always think rationally. If Valentine hits that buzzer beater and Nebraska loses last night, everyone would be completely crucifying Webster. Since Valentine's shot misses, people mostly mention the missed FTs as "meh".

Short story, Webster certainly has improved his game to the place where I am more comfortable with him in the game than some of the alternatives. He clearly hasn't achieved what many prognosticators had predicted or Husker fans had hoped. He is a "nice" player to have on the team. When he graduates, I won't be crushed.
Tai for me has turned into a good player. Benny Parker is a "nice" player for me.

@HuskerTimOmaha If that's what I said than I stand by it. I really don't remember. I was under the impression that it was 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team selections.

I have the entire discussion screen capped, and will post it when the time comes, if it's needed. You were extremely cocky, errrr confident, that he'd be a complete bust, you later threw in "I'll even include honorable mention".

@HuskerTimOmaha If that's what I said than I stand by it. I really don't remember. I was under the impression that it was 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team selections.

I would say you are probably in pretty good shape on your bet. With Waston coming back next year and Gill being able to get on the court Tai is probably looking at coming off the bench again next season. There looks to be some solid guards in the Big Ten this season and I am sure next year will be the same. With that said, it is nice to see him step up his game and become more of a scoring threat.

I LOVE Tai's game these days. I think he'll have a monster year next season and I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him make an NBA team if he can just develop his shot a bit more. He is freaky athletic, has great floor vision and handles, can get to the rack literally any time he wants now, and is a FANTASTIC defender. I think his defense goes largely unnoticed and, for some reason, he picks up a ton of horrible calls that just don't seem like fouls to me. If he plays a full season like he's played the last two months, he'll make All Big 10 next season no question.

I LOVE Tai's game these days. I think he'll have a monster year next season and I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him make an NBA team if he can just develop his shot a bit more. He is freaky athletic, has great floor vision and handles, can get to the rack literally any time he wants now, and is a FANTASTIC defender. I think his defense goes largely unnoticed and, for some reason, he picks up a ton of horrible calls that just don't seem like fouls to me. If he plays a full season like he's played the last two months, he'll make All Big 10 next season no question.
I am an optimistic person but you've topped even me by predicting a possible NBA career for Mr Webster.

I have the entire discussion screen capped, and will post it when the time comes, if it's needed. You were extremely cocky, errrr confident, that he'd be a complete bust, you later threw in "I'll even include honorable mention".

You're lucky he threw in honorable mention because that is his only chance - he is a moon shot to make an all-B10 team.

I am an optimistic person but you've topped even me by predicting a possible NBA career for Mr Webster.

Im.happy as hell that he's playing well, but if he's not a starter next year, his chances of being drafted (barring just an unreal combine) are about zero. He could get there eventually, but I think it'd be the overseas/D League route. I'd love to be wrong though, because if he gets drafted next year, that'd mean he likely had a monster Senior year.

Im.happy as hell that he's playing well, but if he's not a starter next year, his chances of being drafted (barring just an unreal combine) are about zero. He could get there eventually, but I think it'd be the overseas/D League route. I'd love to be wrong though, because if he gets drafted next year, that'd mean he likely had a monster Senior year.

He has to get rid of that hitch in his giddy up to become a great shooter. If he could do that I think he would have an NBA future. He has the athletic ability. I referred to him as a mini Westbrook because I think they have similar games except for shooting the jumper.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT