ADVERTISEMENT

Swing passes

headcard

Nebraska Legend
Feb 2, 2005
I know everyone on here hates the swing passes, but I thought we used them to perfection Friday. They put Wandale in space and opened up a lot of other things, by stretching the defense side to side (AM’s long run that got called back. Rahmir’s TD and Alonte Brown’s reverse, to name a few). Also don’t remember a single negative play from them.

I know everyone on here hates the swing passes, but I thought we used them to perfection Friday. They put Wandale in space and opened up a lot of other things, by stretching the defense side to side (AM’s long run that got called back. Rahmir’s TD and Alonte Brown’s reverse, to name a few). Also don’t remember a single negative play from them.

Martinez looked WAY more comfortable throwing those Saturday. IMO, having him sit for a few quarters improved his focus and perspective. Much more relaxed it appeared.

I hated the swing passes that got blown up and put our d on the feild, and the ones that got picked off

Many teams consider swing passes and passes into the flat as a component of their run game. If they can pick up five or six yards, it's the same as a decent run in their minds.

I wish we could figure out some decent screen passes. They are a thing of beauty in the NFL. Callahan had a damn good screen game at Nebraska. I'm only talking about using them maybe two times per game.

Swing pass is all about footwork, both from the QB and the RB, QB has to open his feet and hips and the RB has to get square to the LOS so he can head north immediately.

Reactions: scarletred

2nd example they caught Iowa in a blitz - both mlb and outside LB on the side of the swing pass blitzed leaving that side of the field wide open with only a corner and a deep safety to defend 2 lead blockers + W

both neb lead blockers were 10-12 yards downfield before encountering defenders - they did a good job of remaining under control and gathering to be effective downfield blockers - too often players go full speed and get easily side stepped or whiff in open filed situations like that

very good call if they anticipated the blitz

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT