Survival of the vaccinated

damcde

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2007
So what’s your point? If you have been vaccinated you should be just fine. I think the article says that even with the Delt variant. Why are you wearing a mask if you have been vaccinated? Are you virtue signaling? Does this make you feel more superior than others? Are you afraid you’ll catch Covid? Don’t live in fear.

I have been vaccinated and I look at people who wear a mask and ask myself why? Why don’t you get vaccinated? Or why do you want to wear a mask if you have been vaccinated? Maybe your too stupid to take the mask off. Maybe you want to feel better than me. Or maybe you just want to call attention to yourself, “look at me, look at me, I’m more special, altruistic, thoughtful, than all you other deplorables” Your wearing a mask sends a message that obviously you don’t understand.

Or maybe people wear a mask even if they are vaccinated but have someone who is high risk thay can’t get vaccinated. I still wear a mask and I got vaccinated in Feb. But I have someone in my household who can’t get vaccinated and is high risk. The vaccine is good against prevent severe disease, but is much more likely to falter at blocking complete infection. Just the way the our immune response works against respiratory viruses.

philosophusker

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Jan 16, 2004
Jonesboro, Arkansas (York, NE originally)
It also has a 100% f^ck up society rate; so there's that. You would have thought those wanting society to open up in April of 2020 would be first in line for something to assure society would stay open. I don't know, just spit balling here.
The dipshit Trumpers just blame Dems for that. We only shut down for political reasons.

Never mind the entire world shut down too, sans Brazil.

Reactions: Gonzo3705

philosophusker

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Jan 16, 2004
This isn’t true, 50% of the people in UK as of last week that had the Delta variant were vaccinated folks
Where did you get your alternative facts?

"A study by Public Health England (PHE) found this month that the Pfizer-BioNTech and Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccines are each highly effective -- at 96% and 92% respectively -- against hospitalizations from the Delta variant after two doses."

"We are still hardly seeing anybody who's fully vaccinated going to hospital -- it's a really tiny fraction," he said, adding that vaccines are "definitely breaking that link" between infection and serious disease.

• Love
Reactions: scopeandtime

huskerfan_12_05

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
Lincoln, NE
Where did you get your alternative facts?

"A study by Public Health England (PHE) found this month that the Pfizer-BioNTech and Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccines are each highly effective -- at 96% and 92% respectively -- against hospitalizations from the Delta variant after two doses."

"We are still hardly seeing anybody who's fully vaccinated going to hospital -- it's a really tiny fraction," he said, adding that vaccines are "definitely breaking that link" between infection and serious disease.

Not talking about going to the hospital , just people that caught the delta variant , I don’t remember where. I posted this a long time ago…. The vaccine doesn’t appear to help you from getting Covid, def effective in preventing severe illness

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
The vaccine doesn’t appear to help you from getting Covid,

From the article:
COVID-19 vaccines are effective at keeping you from getting COVID-19, especially severe illness and death. COVID-19 vaccines reduce the risk of people spreading the virus that causes COVID-19. If you are fully vaccinated, you can resume activities that you did before the pandemic. Learn more about what you can do when you have been fully vaccinated.

Studies show that COVID-19 vaccines are effective at keeping you from getting COVID-19. Getting a COVID-19 vaccine will also help keep you from getting seriously ill even if you do get COVID-19.

philosophusker

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Jan 16, 2004
Not talking about going to the hospital , just people that caught the delta variant , I don’t remember where. I posted this a long time ago…. The vaccine doesn’t appear to help you from getting Covid, def effective in preventing severe illness
If I am vaccinated, the vaccine does in fact help keep me from catching covid. If I do catch it, I am not going to get very sick (probably be asymptomatic) and will be a lot less likely to spread it to others, especially other vaccinated people.

Vaccinated people can spread the virus around (just at a lesser rate than unvaccinated people.) If everyone would get vaccinated this would all be over, but no, Trumpers gots to have their freedumbs.

Reactions: HuskerGuy33

damcde

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2007

From the article:
COVID-19 vaccines are effective at keeping you from getting COVID-19, especially severe illness and death. COVID-19 vaccines reduce the risk of people spreading the virus that causes COVID-19. If you are fully vaccinated, you can resume activities that you did before the pandemic. Learn more about what you can do when you have been fully vaccinated.

Studies show that COVID-19 vaccines are effective at keeping you from getting COVID-19. Getting a COVID-19 vaccine will also help keep you from getting seriously ill even if you do get COVID-19.

TBF, you are both right. The vaccines are definitely much better at preventing hospitalizations and deaths vs. preventing you from completely getting it. Although the data on transmission shows that they are much better at the latter than originally expected, and do pretty good.

However, the Delta variant does seem to be breaking that first barrier in vaccinated people more so than the other variants, although how much still remains to be seen. But with that, it doesn't seem to be impacting the vaccine's ability to stop hospitalizations and deaths. I read an article last nite (I can't remember where now and I can't find it), comparing Russia to UK. Both are going up in cases and have been for a couple of weeks. But UK's death rate and hospitalization rate is remaining pretty much the same, vs. Russia which is going up. UK is about 70 percent vaccinated vs. Russia which is closer to 15 percent.

Edit: I didn't find the article but I found some graphics that show the point. However, I will say that it is still early and we could see deaths in the UK go up in the next week.

Huskermatt23

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2017
Seattle
It's interesting to see what is happening with the Delta Variant and those that refuse to get vaccinated. At this point, people that are making the decision to not be vaccinated and get infected I have little to no sympathy for them. It will be survival of the vaccinated vs unvaccinated. This shouldn't be a political issue but it is no surprise that the majority of those not getting vaccinated are Trumpers. I guess there will be less Trumpers around for the next election.
I thought about hiring a bunch of midgets to dress up like Oomap Loompas and have them go to the funeral of those who die from COVID because they wouldn't get a vaccine. I would love to see them sing the songs just like they did for the moron kids in the Willy Wonka movie.

But then they might also think Trump showed up and get excited

Oompa loompa doompety doo
I've got a perfect puzzle for you

What do you get when you avoid vaccines
While eating as much as an elephant eats
What are you at, supporting Donald Trump who is terribly fat
What do you think will come of that

I don't like the look of it
Oompa loompa doompety da
If you're dead from COVID, that is on you
You could live in happiness too
If you get vaccinated like the Oompa Loompa Doompety do

giphy.gif

5da5674b85c5c02fc3bf27fcf16d9590.gif

rgrachek

Head Coach
Gold Member
Dec 2, 2004
It's interesting to see what is happening with the Delta Variant and those that refuse to get vaccinated. At this point, people that are making the decision to not be vaccinated and get infected I have little to no sympathy for them. It will be survival of the vaccinated vs unvaccinated. This shouldn't be a political issue but it is no surprise that the majority of those not getting vaccinated are Trumpers. I guess there will be less Trumpers around for the next election.
The truth is that the majority of adults not vaccinated are on the left, among the poor and uneducated including the African American community. You try to make this case about how it's mostly Trump voters who will not get vaccinated, but if that were the case, then the country would be composed of 70% Trump voters, Biden wouldn't be president, and there would be few democrats in the congress.

Honestly though to address your sick and twisted point, at this point in time, 99.5% of people who get COVID, vaccinated or not, will survive it and only a small fraction will even get seriously ill. People not getting the vaccine are for the most part making a rational risk reward decision for themselves.

The "oh they can give it to others" argument doesn't fly anymore because the "others" can get vaccinated if they want to be protected from getting the virus.

I think that one of the biggest problems is that many people actually think that this will go away totally if we get 20% more of the U.S. population vaccinated. It won't. It will still be in the background no matter what because the entire planet is only about 20% vaccinated and people travel. That's not going to change by a whole lot.

Reactions: JOHNNY N