Sure is a lot up in the air according to Moos ...

Discussion in 'Husker Board' started by RedCap, Jul 11, 2020.

1. RedCap

RedCap Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

There's a lot to be yet decided by the B1G. The schedule is going to be revamped for instance. Nobody knows when specific opponents will be played, how many games will be played or who the cross division opponents for each team will be. The schedule right now is completely up in the air. About all we know is that everyone will play their division foes at some time for sure but not when each game will take place or in what order.

And there's no decision on who will determine stadium attendance limitations - whether it be up to the individual schools or the conference itself for every school.

Obviously unprecedented uncertainty this close to the potential season (if it even happens could be up in the air).

2. jflores

jflores Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

I'll guess that schools will get to determine attendance in line with their local govt mandates. If only because the B1G has a lot of other things to do anyway.

If the idea that we have to decide on a season in roughly two weeks is true, part of me thinks the B1G thinks it doesn't really have to fully flesh out a revamped schedule anyway. They could put it off and come up with one in August if football is deemed a go. Otherwise they don't have to waste their time.

3. Dean Pope

Dean Pope Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Much has been made of the comments from Kevin Warren and Gene Smith. I get the feeling that at this point they are thinking that a schedule should be put in place in case we actually do play games. There is that much uncertainty.

It also looks like the Big 10 schools are casting their lot together and will play or cancel as one group. So if the eastern schools cannot play, none of us can play. I hope I'm wrong there, but it seems as if we're all tied together due to financial interests.

bigboxes likes this.
  4. RedCap

RedCap Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

They need to first determine just how many games they want to play in total. Then a proposed schedule can be quickly put together but I'd guess the approval process for that schedule with the AD's possibly could take some time.

I'd think an option would be for a school to have no attendance in their stadium if local Coronavirus concerns are rampant. But I don't know why other schools would have to follow the same edict. I would think all schools though would like to play games with or without fan attendance to protect the critical TV revenue stream. Every athletic department will be hurting for the dollars. Yes, even rich and former "wallowing in dollars" Michigan, has announced it has to scale back the AD budget.

4 RedCap, Jul 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    huskerfan66 likes this.
  5. bigboxes

bigboxes College Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

I don't see this season happening unless things got a lot better (which they won't).

Baxter48 and Pennsyhusker like this.
  6. jflores

Expand Collapse

Its been some months now but Moos pointed out that TV payouts were also related to attendance, and reduced attendance would probably reduce payouts. I don't even remember why, but even if its just a little bit, its an impact.

I can't imagine that if the Western schools in the conference decided to play a season, but the OSU's, Michigans, and eastern schools do not....NU probably isn't going to receive that great of a tv payout in that scenario. If you can't have the full conference putting a product on the field, the juice probably isn't worth the squeeze if you have to increase costs for testing and prevention anyways.

Dean Pope likes this.
  7. jflores

Expand Collapse

They already said 10. And you will play your division. Its not rocket surgery for these AD's what to expect. Nebraska doesn't need 3 months notice of when to be in Iowa City or Minneapolis. Mid-late august would be fine for a end of Sept start.

Also the AD's are privvy to more info than the public is, we know enough, they probably know a fair bit more.

8. RedCap

RedCap Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

Number of games not finalized yet according to Moos, he says he is still pushing for 12 games.

9. jflores

Expand Collapse

That's more "hope and change" at work than anything else. Big Ten already publically announced ten. Most things said since indicates that number will be closer to zero than ten. "Pushing for 12" seems.....exceedingly unlikely to actually happen on the field this fall. My daughter would also like a pony for her birthday in a few weeks :)

Red I 73, TFrazier and Pennsyhusker like this.
  10. RedCap

RedCap Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

Just relaying what Moos said. Personally, I doubt there is going even to be a Fall season in the end. But nobody really knows anything with any certainty right now.

jflores likes this.
  11. scarletred

scarletred Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

He better hope they get 9 or 10 games completed instead of 12..

12 is a pipe dream..

Red I 73, TFrazier and Pennsyhusker like this.
  12. jflores

Expand Collapse

I'm actually wondering why Moos even gave this piece of chum to the press. Its not been a solid week since the B1G laid down a late Sept start with 10 games and a generally pessimistic out look.

Moos can push for what he wants, but it seems exceedingly unlikely Warren is going to come out this next week and reverse course by adding games and weeks to the season. And even if he were, its even less likely they'd even be played. But, the whole point of going to 10 was to give "extra" time for this surge to die down, which isn't possible with a 12 game season.

Not that it really matters, if they cancel 10 or 12 games, it all spends the same to us fans.

scarletred likes this.
  13. RedCap

RedCap Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

Well you know why he wants 12 games. It's so he can get 6 home games. With 10 games, it's down to 5 home games with limited attendance of some kind for each. Huge financial hit.

jflores likes this.
  14. scarletred

scarletred Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

Is it really going to matter when only 10,000 fans can attend a game in the first place... Money is going to be lost anyway you look at it..

TFrazier and Pennsyhusker like this.
  15. Huskerfan2112

Huskerfan2112 Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

If , hypothetically, Rutgers does NOT play, why not let the other schools find OOC teams to play as replacements? Doesnt the conference at least split TV money among members? I would have to think with limited physical attendance and months without sports, TV ratings would explode.

So Rutgers has no season but they would still see some income from NU playing KU and ISU curb stomping Iowa. Or am I missing something.

16. Pennsyhusker

Pennsyhusker Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

12 is a pipe dream and is also dangerous. And I don’t mean from Covid. 12 games against B1G opponents? That would be physically brutal on the players.

Crazyhole likes this.
  17. Pennsyhusker

Pennsyhusker Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

Exactly. And those 10-15,000 fans will all be required to wear masks which will cut down big time on cheering. However you slice it, the stadium will be largely empty and quiet.

TFrazier likes this.
  18. skull N crossbones

Expand Collapse

Yeah, I'm sure when the opponent has 3rd and 12 in a tie game that those masks will be worn according to CDC guidelines. People aren't wearing masks during the game. I seriously hope people don't believe that will happen. I would also hope the blue hairs stay home.

19. Sodakred

Sodakred Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

Easter Miracle has been updated to the Labor Day Wonder.

bigboxes likes this.
  20. huskerfan66

huskerfan66 Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

Play=pay. Don't play then they should not share.

Not the conference way though

21. jflores

Expand Collapse

You are missing the fact that the reason the conference cut non con games was to have more control of the season in the league office.

They aren't replacing Rutgers with Iowa State if it came to that.

22. Dean Pope

Dean Pope Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Apparently, he also spoke about needing to get things organized in order to order concessions supplies. Good luck figuring all of that out.

23. 9and4

9and4 Junior
    Expand Collapse

If games are played this fall, they're likely to be played without fans and without public gatherings in bars, at tailgates, etc., creating a severe impact on university revenues regarding tickets, concessions and parking, and having a negative impact on the home city's economy and on every school's roster of Olympic sports.

SO

Treat this fall as you would spring football practice. Get those 16 practices in between September and the Thanksgiving break, however you can between occasional positive tests and team-wide flareups.

Go to a limited spring schedule, following the lead of the junior colleges, which are expected to announce an eight-game schedule over 12 weeks from Feb. 13 through May 1. Practices will start Jan. 18.
    • It's a limited schedule with four off-weeks, so players won't be so taxed that an August 2021 training camp start is too daunting.
    • Cities and universities, betting on a viable and widely available vaccine by mid-February, can safely open the gates to larger crowds, allow for tailgating, bars, etc. Thus, the economic impact is mitigated to some degree.
    Of course, in any spring schedule, most NFL prospects will choose to opt out of their final season. But it seems like a better chance for players to get in a competitive, albeit shortened, season, and for everyone to recoup some of the lost revenue that keeps the Olympic sports in business.

24. Tuco Salamanca

Tuco Salamanca Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Sounds logical, but wouldn't there be a need to hire more staff? Having football, basketball (m/w), baseball/ softball, track etc all going on at the same time?

25. 9and4

9and4 Junior
    Expand Collapse

Excellent point. A cost-benefit analysis would have to be done.

26. jflores

Expand Collapse

Urban Meyer thinks is a no go for health and safety in terms of wear on the players. Hes not the only one but a prominent one.

It's already been reported that a spring schedule would like be radically reduced anyway between six and nine games. We're not exactly sure what kind of post season we could get if any. Your suggestion of a shortened season makes a bunch of sense to alot of people.

I'm really doubting if we had spring football it would be a competitive season. It's probably more along the B1G view of a last resort than any real attempt to have a season without a bunch of asterisks attached to the results.

9and4 likes this.
  27. Rick Chick

Rick Chick Newbie
    Expand Collapse

If the blue hairs stay home there goes the majority of the fan base.

Red I 73 likes this.
  28. Trumplestiltskin

Expand Collapse

So...it will be like playing for Colorado?

SomedayHusker and Pennsyhusker like this.
  29. bigboxes

bigboxes College Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

Minus the urine bombs. [​IMG]

Baxter48 likes this.
  30. Baxter48

Baxter48 All-American
    Expand Collapse

Why did you bring up Iowa fans?

31. husker2612

husker2612 Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

Im not so sure it will be all or nothing. At least from a business standpoint that would be a horrible decision. I admit I have no idea how the $$$ is earned and distributed. I imagine it is all potted together and distributed fairly equally. So with that in mind. Last year the BIG10 made 700 million from athletics. I assume much of that was from football. If half the teams can play why not let them play and at least get something back vs zero.

32. jflores

Expand Collapse

The B1G and most of college football will probably make a decision before local govts do. Approx 2 weeks or so.

Which means there's no way to make a school by school decision even if they wanted to pick the winners and losers. They'll just delay or cancel everything in unison.

Even if the B1G knew for certain which states would allow it today I still think they do the all for one approach. The ADs and commish aren't leaning on government permission anymore so much as the B1G medical task force and their own assessment of the case count.

9and4 likes this.
  33. 9and4

9and4 Junior
    Expand Collapse

Urban certainly knows more people than I do. Either fall or spring, it's an asterisk season, so a six- or seven-game spring slate would serve the purpose of providing competition and revenue without placing too much stress on the players. And if that's the concern, then why not truncate summer 2021 camps and possibly even delay the season by a week or two?

The JCs have decided on a seven-game slate from April through early June, apparently.

This is a strange time, so strange solutions may be in order.

jflores likes this.