ADVERTISEMENT

Supreme Court Unanimously Invalidates Portion of NCAA's "Amateurism" Rules

John_J_Rambo

Offensive Coordinator
Jan 10, 2020
pretty big news. I, for one, am extremely happy NU seems to be on the vanguard of these policy changes, and believe it can potentially greatly benefit the Huskers.

Justice Kavanaugh's thoughts:

E4aZymiXIAY-0nT

Not compensated. What a joke.

A year of tuition/fees/housing at Nebraska costs $39,000. Add to that all of the free gear, travel, personal training, supplements, and everything else, and I'm guessing the average student athlete is getting $50,000/year or better. That's the equivalent of $25/hour for a standard worker, and these are unskilled laborers playing sports that schoolchildren play at recess for free.

College sports were already being destroyed by big money, and this is going to make it much, much worse.

A year of tuition/fees/housing at Nebraska costs $39,000. Add to that all of the free gear, travel, personal training, supplements, and everything else, and I'm guessing the average student athlete is getting $50,000/year or better. That's the equivalent of $25/hour for a standard worker, and these are unskilled laborers playing sports that schoolchildren play at recess for free.

College sports were already being destroyed by big money, and this is going to make it much, much worse.
unskilled? 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

I would love to see a backyard vid of you, or any 'standard worker', doing literally anything these kids spend their time doing

such a clueless opinion it almost hurts

why is there a prevailing opinion that Nebraska benefits from this? Sure there is a brand name of sorts but compared to some of the big boys, I am not sure how some colleges are going to compete.

Reactions: huskerfan66

Now that you mention it getting a 39k free tuition and housing is compensation and they why are players not taxed on that- typically when giving something that values me it’s taxable, no?

Now that you mention it getting a 39k free tuition and housing is compensation and they why are players not taxed on that- typically when giving something that values me it’s taxable, no?
I assume they get a 1099 tuition form. Actually I think it might be 1098 but I assume you know what I mean. I thought all college students did. It shows your scholarships and grants

You may want to take a minute to understand what they decided. The decision is limited solely to a cap on educational benefits - such as providing computers. It does not say the NCAA can't prohibit pay or other non-educational benefits. So, those rules are still in place - for now. The quote from above, I believe is from a concurring opinion and is not part of the majority opinion. That was just Judge Kavanaugh's opinion and not adopted by the majority - at least not in this particular case. It may be a harbinger of what is to come, but does not mean pay to play is here yet.

We'll have to wait and see what practical implications there are.
Agree. The ruling very clearly pertains to "education related" benefits. This would obviously include items such as laptops and tutoring but the "education related" standard is presently not well defined. Its easy to imagine that some programs will exploit that vagueness by providing benefits which have an attenuated relation to education/academics. The NCAA is going to be busy.

why is there a prevailing opinion that Nebraska benefits from this? Sure there is a brand name of sorts but compared to some of the big boys, I am not sure how some colleges are going to compete.
I don’t know that NU athletes necessarily benefits from this particular statement other that getting a laptop or a few other smaller benefits. But if they ok profiting off of their own image I think has huge possibilities for players. With our fan base a star player could make bank and that is a huge recruiting tool moving forward. The pitch could go something like “player xyz made $200k over 3 years, you can easily top that with your natural talent” or something like that. Those numbers may be way off but you get what I’m trying say.

I don’t know that NU athletes necessarily benefits from this particular statement other that getting a laptop or a few other smaller benefits. But if they ok profiting off of their own image I think has huge possibilities for players. With our fan base a star player could make bank and that is a huge recruiting tool moving forward. The pitch could go something like “player xyz made $200k over 3 years, you can easily top that with your natural talent” or something like that. Those numbers may be way off but you get what I’m trying say.
First the football team needs to win. If the past week state blitz by the University Athletic teams where the largest crowd was less than 150 fans it looks like the anticipated windfall by athletes may be little more than a sprinkle.

First the football team needs to win. If the past week state blitz by the University Athletic teams where the largest crowd was less than 150 fans it looks like the anticipated windfall by athletes may be little more than a sprinkle.
No doubt winning helps.

The NIL is going to come from advertisers, not from the school though. The problem with this is that it won't necessarily matter about someone being a star player. It will help, but the hottest chick on the volleyball team, who may never start a match, could have 200k twitter followers because she has all sorts of posts from her time at the beach or what have you and she will make more than the best OL on the football team and his 1,000 followers. Think of it like the YouTubers and social media influencers.

The argument is that the NCAA is making money off the backs of the players, but the NIL, as it is currently written, does nothing to spread the money the NCAA and schools make to the players. Most of the athletes already have a Instagram account. So they switch it from personal to business and start posting. Is the average fan really going to follow Joe Blow football guy on Instagram to see what he thinks is a cool cologne or whatever? I don't know maybe.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
This doesn’t benefit Nebraska football in the slightest. The $EC is already literally paying its top players 6 figures. A Nebraska player making $20-$30k is irrelevant.

It’ll help lesser sports like the volleyball team, because due to the fan support it will draw in better recruits as players like Lexi Sun could make decent money.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
This doesn’t benefit Nebraska football in the slightest. The $EC is already literally paying its top players 6 figures. A Nebraska player making $20-$30k is irrelevant.

It’ll help lesser sports like the volleyball team, because due to the fan support it will draw in better recruits as players like Lexi Sun could make decent money.
it does in that NU has been, for 2 years now, right in line and behind this reform in a very public way

the rest of the b1g? not so much. too busy molesting/actively punishing kids based on race

it does in that NU has been, for 2 years now, right in line and behind this reform in a very public way

the rest of the b1g? not so much. too busy molesting/actively punishing kids based on race
And Nebraska was right in line about trying to get football played last year and that in no way shape or form went over well with the conference or anyone in the public. We were absolutely roasted nationally for having the audacity to want to play football.

And bottom line, a top tier player isn’t going to come here because we were making a push for players to make money, when they can go to a conference that has already been paying players a ton of money for a couple decades.

And Nebraska was right in line about trying to get football played last year and that in no way shape or form went over well with the conference or anyone in the public. We were absolutely roasted nationally for having the audacity to want to play football.

And bottom line, a top tier player isn’t going to come here because we were making a push for players to make money, when they can go to a conference that has already been paying players a ton of money for a couple decades.
it did, 100%, go over well nationally.

it didn't go over well with the conference, of course, because our conference is the single worst entity in all of organized sports. because media are b1g market shills, they predictably carried the conference's water.

yes, the b1g is even worse than the NCAA.

we aren't competing for SEC players anyway. we never will playing in the cloud of dust, no offense, excruciatingly boring, historically inept, cold weather b1g. no amount of money would change that. I do think it helps when competing against b1g dinosaurs like wisc, as well as maybe half the big 12 schools.

Reactions: timnsun

They may if the money was above board and they didn't have to meet somewhere shady to get their bag of McDonalds.

Just read an article that says that a person with 5000 Instagram followers can make 6 figures posting about 1 post per day, that is sponsored by an advertiser. Fan bases known to blow up social media will be extremely attractive to potential recruits.

The NIL is going to come from advertisers, not from the school though. The problem with this is that it won't necessarily matter about someone being a star player. It will help, but the hottest chick on the volleyball team, who may never start a match, could have 200k twitter followers because she has all sorts of posts from her time at the beach or what have you and she will make more than the best OL on the football team and his 1,000 followers. Think of it like the YouTubers and social media influencers.

The argument is that the NCAA is making money off the backs of the players, but the NIL, as it is currently written, does nothing to spread the money the NCAA and schools make to the players. Most of the athletes already have a Instagram account. So they switch it from personal to business and start posting. Is the average fan really going to follow Joe Blow football guy on Instagram to see what he thinks is a cool cologne or whatever? I don't know maybe.
Yep, said this soooo many times. Hot chicks will bank off this.

Exactly! Winning fixes a lot of things.

Well if Adrian Martinez wants to sell autographs for $10 a piece, I am pretty sure he is not going to go to a town of 5,200 to do it. JMHO

They may if the money was above board and they didn't have to meet somewhere shady to get their bag of McDonalds.

Just read an article that says that a person with 5000 Instagram followers can make 6 figures posting about 1 post per day, that is sponsored by an advertiser. Fan bases known to blow up social media will be extremely attractive to potential recruits.
If it is actually that amount of money with that few followers, then yes it would help Nebraska then, because our fan base is one of, if not the, most active on social media.

Well if Adrian Martinez wants to sell autographs for $10 a piece, I am pretty sure he is not going to go to a town of 5,200 to do it. JMHO
North Platte and Kearney are bigger than 5,200. NP had around 150 people and Kearney less than 60. Pretty pathetic for a once proud program. Those get togethers used to draw 400-500 including kids that would have paid the $10. It will be interesting to see how many kids will pay to get signatures at fan day before the start of the season.

I’m going to push back on that part because national media members on tv, radio, and websites, raked us over the coals.
of course they did. national media bend over backward to appease b1g media markets. you will never, ever hear a bad word on national media about the b1g despite the myriad reasons for it both on and off the field.

fans across the midwest, south and southeast (football country) applauded Frost for speaking out and wanting to play. we saw it right here on this board, and this represents like .01%. it's basically the only good thing he's done in his entire tenure.

Said it before...the NCAA is due for a major shakedown soon. The college sports landscape will be transformed, and be replaced by minor league systems of some sort.

Tro is right. Pretty narrow decision. Issue was educational benefits - laptop, semester abroad tuitions, graduate school scholarships. You know, educational stuff. Does not apply to Martinez or Johnny M hustling autographs. That is up to Congress.
You may want to take a minute to understand what they decided. The decision is limited solely to a cap on educational benefits - such as providing computers. It does not say the NCAA can't prohibit pay or other non-educational benefits. So, those rules are still in place - for now. The quote from above, I believe is from a concurring opinion and is not part of the majority opinion. That was just Judge Kavanaugh's opinion and not adopted by the majority - at least not in this particular case. It may be a harbinger of what is to come, but does not mean pay to play is here yet

I'm wondering why giving the athletes this was ever a controversy to begin with? It's one thing to pay players and an entirely different thing to give them what this decision did.

I'm wondering why giving the athletes this was ever a controversy to begin with? It's one thing to pay players and an entirely different thing to give them what this decision did.
Ye ole slippery slope argument. Lots of money at stake and lots of people getting paid to keep it in the hands it currently funnels through.

This is step 1, and it’s not going to stop here.

Tro is right. Pretty narrow decision. Issue was educational benefits - laptop, semester abroad tuitions, graduate school scholarships. You know, educational stuff. Does not apply to Martinez or Johnny M hustling autographs. That is up to Congress.
I might also add that the NCAA made a good point in its response. Not a single other judge signed on to Judge Kavanaugh's opinion regarding the application of anti-trust laws to the question of paying athletes beyond educational benefits. That doesn't mean other judges might not share his view, in whole or in part. But, at this point, no other Supreme Court Judge was willing to put his/her name down as concurring with Judge Kavanaugh's view. It will carry little to no weight in any future case.

ADVERTISEMENT