ADVERTISEMENT

Supreme Court appears to support athlete pay claims against NCAA

I don't think the NCAA/universities will ever let go of their multi-billion dollar lotto ticket regardless how much of the 'amateurism' is whittled away

Nah but everyone likes the independence right. Once you establish the football team as some sort of university-ish enigma business entity and the people running that entity and rooting for that entity figure out they could do something so much better if only they weren't tied to the institution at all...it's only a matter of time until that becomes national debate and some kind of breakaway into a fully professional model gets talked about.

Nah but everyone likes the independence right. Once you establish the football team as some sort of university-ish enigma business entity and the people running that entity and rooting for that entity figure out they could do something so much better if only they weren't tied to the institution at all...it's only a matter of time until that becomes national debate and some kind of breakaway into a fully professional model gets talked about.
the ABA teams that joined the NBA as part of the merger in the '70s paid perpetual TV royalties to the owners of the Spirits of St Louis until 2015

hundreds of millions of dollars over 40 years for essentially zero good reason

perhaps you're right, but it's more likely football will be outlawed before the NCAA/universities are fully cut out of the equation

I think one thing to remember is that 99.9% of the fans are not going to pay any players. This will be a very small market.

your son didn't come with an ROI stapled to his forehead like football players do

all he would do is pay tuition/room/board, with a very small chance he went on to earn enough to donate back a meaningful sum

a 17-year old football player earns the university hundreds of thousands of dollars per year without them having to lift a finger
Isn’t NCAA football worth something like $4 billion a year? Isn’t university research worth something like $90 billion a year? I think you might be underestimating what some of the students are worth to universities as they rise up through the academic ranks. If they want to allow athletes to make money off their image or even if they want to pay the athletes directly, that is fine by me. But I don’t think it makes sense to discount the value and impact of students in order to make a case for paying athletes.

Isn’t NCAA football worth something like $4 billion a year? Isn’t university research worth something like $90 billion a year? I think you might be underestimating what some of the students are worth to universities as they rise up through the academic ranks. If they want to allow athletes to make money off their image or even if they want to pay the athletes directly, that is fine by me. But I don’t think it makes sense to discount the value and impact of students in order to make a case for paying athletes.
for athletes, it is a straight line

for students, it is not

michigan, for example, made $122M+ in 2019 just from football, which 'employs' several hundred people

michigan also received $500M in grants for its more than 40,000 student population

on a per-student basis, the football players generate MUCH more bang for the university's buck, not to mention the effort (or lack thereof) required

Im not sure I like this if I’m understanding this right. What’s to stop Phil Knight or any other billionaire business owner alumns from simply buying the very best players every year? Wouldnt they be able to just say hey Justin Fields, you commit to Oregon and I’ll get you in Nike Commercials and whatever else for $20MM. Nebraska and majority of other schools don’t have a sugar daddy alumni-booster like that and would be a massive disadvantage, or am I miss understanding this whole thing?

No you're not, Nike has to consider all the professional athletes available to market what's best for their shareholders. Nike no longer views itself as an American corporation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT