ADVERTISEMENT

Supreme Court appears to support athlete pay claims against NCAA

Oct 12, 2016

Not sure how this ends but I think the following schools should clean house for top athletes:

-Ohio State
-Texas
-Georgia
-LSU
-Tennessee
-Nebraska
-Oklahoma
-Arkansas
-Florida
-USC
-possibly Texas A&M
-Penn State
-Michigan

What Alabama is paying athletes now to gain an edge won't matter anymore, Alabama doesn't have enough rich boosters and must share the state with Auburn.

Also, blue blood schools that don't have to compete with NFL and other professional teams should benefit too. The other key is owning a whole population area and not sharing it with other schools, especially with lots of rich boosters with companies able to pay ad $s.

Last edited:
A 100k dollar scholarship fulll ride is what they are worth.
not according to literally anyone with a brain and 1st grade math skills.

I'll go as far as saying it's what most are worth. but certainly not all.

Good luck factoring Title IX into this mess. This may kill off several sports and some athletic programs completely.
probably. I wasn't around when college athletics started but its probably time we got athletics out of colleges and into farm system leagues for the pros.
unless they find some way to somewhat equally distribute it will be the ruin of college athletics as we know it.
Money pretty much ruins everything. Except the NFL. and the NFL does the most of any sport to maintain competitive balance. thats why it works.
if college athletics are not going to agree to any kind of competitive balance measures then they will reap what they sow.

Good luck factoring Title IX into this mess. This may kill off several sports and some athletic programs completely.

College Football and Basketball need to separate into their own professional leagues, away from the NCAA and other sports. They shouldn't have to subsidize all of the sports that lose money. Those other sports could still be funded with donor endowments if possible.

probably. I wasn't around when college athletics started but its probably time we got athletics out of colleges and into farm system leagues for the pros.
unless they find some way to somewhat equally distribute it will be the ruin of college athletics as we know it.
Money pretty much ruins everything. Except the NFL. and the NFL does the most of any sport to maintain competitive balance. thats why it works.
if college athletics are not going to agree to any kind of competitive balance measures then they will reap what they sow.
there is no sport on the planet that's more predictable than college football is today, save maybe tennis

bama vs clemson every year (except LSU's title season, a giant outlier), and they'll be the favorites yet again in 2021

competitive balance on a national scale hasn't existed for years

Reactions: huntered
the dollars to athletes won't come from the university, and will be able to be made by any and all.

there will be zero issue with this.
if the athletes are making money maybe the schools can save money by getting rid of the training tables.
there is no sport on the planet that's more predictable than college football is today, save maybe tennis

bama vs clemson every year (except LSU's title season, a giant outlier), and they'll be the favorites yet again in 2021
i dont disagree. its kind of a mess already. but i think the separation of a top 10-15 will be much larger than it is now.
almost like a whole different level of the sport. but you are right. its imbalanced already and getting worse over time.
i would be in favor of cutting scholarships down to 70.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
if the athletes are making money maybe the schools can save money by getting rid of the training tables.

i dont disagree. its kind of a mess already. but i think the separation of a top 10-15 will be much larger than it is now.
almost like a whole different level of the sport. but you are right. its imbalanced already and getting worse over time.
i would be in favor of cutting scholarships down to 70.
universities need money less than banks, and have been printing cash on the backs of 'amateur' athletes for decades

I will never shed a single tear if their margins are trimmed

not according to literally anyone with a brain and 1st grade math skills.

I'll go as far as saying it's what most are worth. but certainly not all.

They all are worth that.

You wouldn't know sht about any of the kids if they didnt choose to go to college for free.

As long as you dont use the school logos I'm fine with 2 people making money on their likeness.

Because that's what we are talking about.

• Haha
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
They all are worth that.

You wouldn't know sht about any of the kids if they didnt choose to go to college for free.

As long as you dont use the school logos I'm fine with 2 people making money on their likeness.

Because that's what we are talking about.
of all the head-up-ass statements I've read on this board, this one is way up there

a ton of kids will take advantage of loosened rules, if able

obviously not just football players, and obviously not just off of local car dealership spots

next time get a clue, then post

Not sure how this ends but I think the following schools should clean house for top athletes:

-Ohio State
-Texas
-Georgia
-LSU
-Tennessee
-Nebraska
-Oklahoma
-Arkansas
-Florida
-USC
-possibly Texas A&M
-Penn State
-Michigan

What Alabama is paying athletes now to gain an edge won't matter anymore, Alabama doesn't have enough rich boosters and must share the state with Auburn.

Also, blue blood schools that don't have to compete with NFL and other professional teams should benefit too. The other key is owning a whole population area and not sharing it with other schools, especially with lots of rich boosters with companies able to pay ad $s.
It would open a huge can of worms IMO. For example:

Do you allow different schools to pay athletes different salaries? (Rich school recruiting advantage?)

Do you allow different sports to pay different salaries? (Title IX issues for male vs. female differences?)

Do you allow different athletes on the same team to earn different salaries? (Unequal pay cause resentment and lack of team building?)

Do players get even more criticism and pressure to be dumped if they're having a bad season?

Etc.

A full ride scholarship. That's what they are worth.

Otherwise they should be able to cut recruits the moment they dont improve. Just like real job

So no you are wrong.

No...look, I have no idea what your job is but if you got a call tomorrow from a rival company and they offered to double your salary...that is now what you are worth, because someone is willing to pay you that much.

It would open a huge can of worms IMO. For example:

Do you allow different schools to pay athletes different salaries? (Rich school recruiting advantage?)

Do you allow different sports to pay different salaries? (Title IX issues for male vs. female differences?)

Do you allow different athletes on the same team to earn different salaries? (Unequal pay cause resentment and lack of team building?)

Do players get even more criticism and pressure to be dumped if they're having a bad season?

Etc.

I think what will happen is that there will be salary caps from the schools but possibly no cap on endorsement $.

the dollars to athletes won't come from the university, and will be able to be made by any and all.

there will be zero issue with this.
Sorry but we currently live in and are moving to an equity of outcome model, not equity of opportunity. Cancel nazis will pull outcome stats and look for any trends they don't like and declare it racist, sexist or whatever.

Yes they do.

Earn at least a 2.3 GPA in your core courses. Earn an SAT combined score or ACT sum score matching your core-course GPA on the Division I sliding scale, which balances your test score and core-course GPA. If you have a low test score, you need a higher core-course GPA to be eligible.

Earn at least a 2.3 GPA in your core courses. Earn an SAT combined score or ACT sum score matching your core-course GPA on the Division I sliding scale, which balances your test score and core-course GPA. If you have a low test score, you need a higher core-course GPA to be eligible.
That is NCAA, not the school.

The school can let in anyone they want. They just might not be able to play.

You think if a 16 year old was as good at art as Michelangelo that a school would not admit him because he had a 1.8 gpa?

Why is this such a big deal to you?

Reactions: jeans1515

-Ohio State
-Texas
-Georgia
-LSU
-Tennessee
-Nebraska
-Oklahoma
-Arkansas
-Florida
-USC
-possibly Texas A&M
-Penn State
-Michigan

This will be awesome for businesses like auto dealerships, expensive clothing, and other items that 18-20 years olds would waste cash on if dumped into their hands. I say bring it on. Fast forward 10-20 years, the rich will be richer collecting the money that floats through these kid’s hands.

That is NCAA, not the school.

The school can let in anyone they want. They just might not be able to play.

You think if a 16 year old was as good at art as Michelangelo that a school would not admit him because he had a 1.8 gpa?

Why is this such a big deal to you?

Because the rest of the students cant get in with those type of grades. And they pay for it

Because the rest of the students cant get in with those type of grades. And they pay for it

Yes they can...if they can offer something else up to the school.

If they are an amazing artist or musician, if they are a math savant but suck at every other subject they are getting in.

Good lord, schools have gone away from even accepting ACT/SAT scores

I get what you are saying but those "other students" can also get a scholarship, it might not be in football but what is stopping them from getting an academic ride or a VA writing contest scholarship.

Yes they can...if they can offer something else up to the school.

If they are an amazing artist or musician, if they are a math savant but suck at every other subject they are getting in.

Good lord, schools have gone away from even accepting ACT/SAT scores

I get what you are saying but those "other students" can also get a scholarship, it might not be in football but what is stopping them from getting an academic ride or a VA writing contest scholarship.

People go to school tl get an education

Not to offer the school anything but money to pay for it.

Athletes are the only ones with special privileges or exceptions.

People go to school tl get an education

Not to offer the school anything but money to pay for it.

Athletes are the only ones with special privileges or exceptions.

I will argue that people go to college to create opportunity for themselves.

Let me ask you this...if a bio student was offered...5K a month from a lab in Lincoln, is that okay?

Justice Alito

Ex0HBXDXEAM6GdN

universities need money less than banks, and have been printing cash on the backs of 'amateur' athletes for decades

I will never shed a single tear if their margins are trimmed
the athletic departments are often not the same thing as the universities. many athletic departments run themselves independent of university funds. as i understand very few athletic departments make any money at all. they basically just spend everything they make right?

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
the athletic departments are often not the same thing as the universities. many athletic departments run themselves independent of university funds. as i understand very few athletic departments make any money at all. they basically just spend everything they make right?
Yeah, pretty much. But that is probably because of, cough cough, certain sports.

I would bet that if D1 schools could JUST have football...that they would all at the very least, break even.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT