ADVERTISEMENT

Support the sell out streak

redwine65

Offensive Coordinator
Jun 23, 2010
this is the time NU football needs you most!

sure it's easy to go to games when we are running rough shot over teams,
but a real fan supports the team when the chips are down and against all odds.

sure,
a real fan knows we should be in the power I, running the option, and not running a left coast offense.
but he understands it will take time for all to realise the reality. some are slower than others.

so put down the tissue box, get off the couch, and turn off the oprah
I want to see the stadium packed come sat, and the northwestern qb should not be able to hear his own voice.

there's no call for the bandwagon stuff:

in all kinds of weather,
we all stick together,
for dear ole,
Nebraska U!

a real fan knows we should be in the power I, running the option
john-jonah-jameson-lol.gif

sure,
a real fan knows we should be in the power I, running the option, and not running a left coast offense.
but he understands it will take time for all to realise the reality. some are slower than others.

I want to see the stadium packed come sat, and the northwestern qb should not be able to hear his own voice.

in all kinds of weather,
we all stick together,
for dear ole,
Nebraska U!
Has any of our option plays resulted in anything less than at least 3-4 yards this season? I don't believe so but could be wrong. Why do we NOT use it as our base play? Nobody's stopped it yet except for our coach...

Reactions: IowaHuskr
Ir
The sell out streak has been dead for years and a few boosters and the athletic dept have been propping it up like Weekend at Bernies. Let it die already so we can get quality seating and some amenities in our decrepit stadium.
Let it die. Root out all fraudulence in the program. It's time to be honest with ourselves with everything.

sure,

in all kinds of weather,
we all stick together,
for dear ole,
Nebraska U!
I'm going to my first home game in 2 years. Of course we have seasons tickets so I'm not really helping the sellout streak. GBR. Gonna be a party.

Has any of our option plays resulted in anything less than at least 3-4 yards this season? I don't believe so but could be wrong. Why do we NOT use it as our base play? Nobody's stopped it yet except for our coach...
They've worked pretty well but yes some have resulted in lost yardage. I think our OC gets nervous and thinks he's still at Oregon when we get in a tight spot. Our assistant AD for football, kept calling for option plays on the radio call only to be disappointed multiple times.

The sell out streak has been dead for years and a few boosters and the athletic dept have been propping it up like Weekend at Bernies. Let it die already so we can get quality seating and some amenities in our decrepit stadium.
How old are you? It was dead during our national championship years. I GAVE AWAY tickets at kickoff I couldn't sell before the KSU vs NU game when we were both in the top 10. There were tons of empty seats. All the sellout streak means is that we have boosters who care enough about the program that they are willing to pony up the money to support the program. THAT MEANS A LOT !

Why not both? The streak and stadium upgrades.
The two are completely unrelated. IF anything upgrading the seating would make it much easier to continue the sell outs. Start section by section with chair back seating. Those sections would still hot commodities. You would have to shift some season ticket holders around but I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't mind as long as they got seat backs.

How old are you? It was dead during our national championship years. I GAVE AWAY tickets at kickoff I couldn't sell before the KSU vs NU game when we were both in the top 10. There were tons of empty seats. All the sellout streak means is that we have boosters who care enough about the program that they are willing to pony up the money to support the program. THAT MEANS A LOT !
How old are you? I'm old enough that I was sitting between two fat bastards in the early 90's each taking up half of my non-existent space on a splintered wood bench. Why is it so hard to admit that the lack of space to sit or access to concessions and bathrooms absolutely sucks in our stadium? Get rid of 20,000 seats and make the place nice. I also had tickets in the 90s and whenever I sold them I usually doubled my money.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I will be there for first time since since 2013 but as a mid 30s year old fan, the streak means nothing to me, it’s just a thing that hangs over the husker cloud of sadness, it’s the last thing we got to show why Nebraska is great but our program needs to earn its way back to being great. Would rather have open seats there with unsold tickets then the fake streak of boosters buying up seats that might be empty anyways, give those seats to young families and their kids for free, at the very least some kid may get to have a great day in a great atmosphere.

Plus it makes even more sense since we can't pick up more than a yard running a play between the tackles with our current OL.

• Love
Reactions: BleedRed78
I have sold tickets outside the stadium for $100 in the mid 90's. I know a guy who walked to the Baylor-NU game in the late 90's and walked away empty handed as no one was selling.

I think many of you want it to die, and I have no idea why. You do understand that a sellout occurs when all tickets are sold, right? It doesn't mater how many people show up to attend. So this idea that the sellout streak actually ended years ago is complete BS.

I have sold tickets outside the stadium for $100 in the mid 90's. I know a guy who walked to the Baylor-NU game in the late 90's and walked away empty handed as no one was selling.

I think many of you want it to die, and I have no idea why. You do understand that a sellout occurs when all tickets are sold, right? It doesn't mater how many people show up to attend. So this idea that the sellout streak actually ended years ago is complete BS.
People who weren't at games in the 70s and 80s don't understand that if it was hot, or if it was raining or if it was on TV, the stands weren't always full. I would venture that there's never been a game where there were absolutely zero no shows. The whole point is that SOMEBODY cared enough to buy leftover tickets even if it was to give them to a charity, employees or to just eat them.

How old are you? I'm old enough that I was sitting between two fat bastards in the early 90's each taking up half of my non-existent space on a splintered wood bench. Why is it so hard to admit that the lack of space to sit or access to concessions and bathrooms absolutely sucks in our stadium? Get rid of 20,000 seats and make the place nice. I also had tickets in the 90s and whenever I sold them I usually doubled my money.
Why didn't you rent a stadium seat? That solves a lot of issues

Reactions: mgbreis
AM has no keep/pitch instincts

He has a hard time putting his foot in the ground and cutting it up on obvious keep reads when he has a pitch man

It’s very clear he’s never run triple option prior to his time at Nebraska, and that stuff is very hard to learn later in life

The play is a nice compliment to the in-line run game. If it was anything more, nobody would be happy with the results

This. No team in the history of football has ever truly sold out a single game, let alone hundreds in a row. That is, if what you mean by a "sell out" is that every single ticket is purchased by a fan for the purpose of attending the game, even if they end up not making it to the game for one reason or another. There are now and always have been large blocs of tickets bought up by boosters and local businesses for the purpose of promotions and various other causes. I once attended a Penn State game with a friend of mine out here in PA who is a huge Penn State fan. The game (against Temple) was supposedly a sellout. But there were quite a few empty seats all around us in our section. My friend explained to me that we were in a part of the stadium reserved for boosters and their clients and that no-shows were common. In fact, my friend got our tickets from a wealthy friend of his who had tickets to give away (the donor is filthy rich and made all of his millions opening pizza joints. Ha). My point is that ALL teams do this and it does not mean a sell out is fake. Finally, there are scores of programs who do not even have boosters willing to buy up tickets. It is a testament to the commitment of our boosters to Husker football that even after four straight losing seasons they are still willing to buy up an extra 2500 tickets or so each game. And quite frankly, it is amazing that it is that low. The sell out streak is real.

Reactions: Frozone and nwualum
This. No team in the history of football has ever truly sold out a single game, let alone hundreds in a row. That is, if what you mean by a "sell out" is that every single ticket is purchased by a fan for the purpose of attending the game, even if they end up not making it to the game for one reason or another. There are now and always have been large blocs of tickets bought up by boosters and local businesses for the purpose of promotions and various other causes. I once attended a Penn State game with a friend of mine out here in PA who is a huge Penn State fan. The game (against Temple) was supposedly a sellout. But there were quite a few empty seats all around us in our section. My friend explained to me that we were in a part of the stadium reserved for boosters and their clients and that no-shows were common. In fact, my friend got our tickets from a wealthy friend of his who had tickets to give away (the donor is filthy rich and made all of his millions opening pizza joints. Ha). My point is that ALL teams do this and it does not mean a sell out is fake. Finally, there are scores of programs who do not even have boosters willing to buy up tickets. It is a testament to the commitment of our boosters to Husker football that even after four straight losing seasons they are still willing to buy up an extra 2500 tickets or so each game. And quite frankly, it is amazing that it is that low. The sell out streak is "TECHNICALLY" real.
FIFY. Look, we start winning 9-10 games there will be no issue filling up 90k+ seats. I won't be one of them because I'm over standing sideways the entire game because there's no room for my shoulders, or holding a piss the whole second half because there's no way to get out of the row. Sitting in the club level with an actual seat and easy access to a pisser and a hotdog ruined me forever.

FIFY. Look, we start winning 9-10 games there will be no issue filling up 90k+ seats. I won't be one of them because I'm over standing sideways the entire game because there's no room for my shoulders, or holding a piss the whole second half because there's no way to get out of the row. Sitting in the club level with an actual seat and easy access to a pisser and a hotdog ruined me forever.
You didn't fix shit. You missed the point of the post. If your claim is that boosters buying tickets means the streak isn't real, then you don't have a clue how big time college football programs work. ALL big programs have boosters buying tickets. ALL. The rest of your post is just a complaint about the quality of the seating. And with that we are in agreement.

Reactions: nwualum
I was at the OU game, the serve beer. We went to get beer at the start of halftime.

With 5 minutes left in the 3rd we got back to the seats. It was so stupid.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I was at the OU game, the serve beer. We went to get beer at the start of halftime.

With 5 minutes left in the 3rd we got back to the seats. It was so stupid.
Exactly. A lot of venerable old college stadiums have the same issues Memorial does. Penn State is also horrific. I have been to a lot of Notre Dame games (my wife is a grad) and it is only marginally better. The fact is any stadium that still has the old fashioned straight bench seating is in a world of hurt with regard to ease of egress and return. In the age of every game on TV and 100 inch screens with great sound and graphics... it is amazing anyone goes to the games. But we still do. And that is because there is no substitute for being in that crowd. I have lived on the East Coast for 34 years. And I still fly back to Lincoln twice a year to actually sit in those seats. Those seats and that stadium are personal to me. And to many others. That stadium and the games in it are a shrine to the people of Nebraska. I grew up in Lincoln and yet every time I drive from my parent's house in the Highlands down interstate 180 and come across the bridge just before downtown and I see that stadium, I still get a thrill. And anyone who does not want to go to an actual game because they can't hold their piss is just a crybaby.

You didn't fix shit. You missed the point of the post. If your claim is that boosters buying tickets means the streak isn't real, then you don't have a clue how big time college football programs work. ALL big programs have boosters buying tickets. ALL. The rest of your post is just a complaint about the quality of the seating. And with that we are in agreement.
I didn't miss your point, I just disagree with it. I have a clue about a lot of things, especially that Nebraska is the ONLY big time college football program that is pretending that a propped-up sellout streak means something. I'm fine with boosters buying tickets if it happens as you claim, let's just be like every other big time program and stop talking about the stupid sellout streak. The continued clinging to the streak while ignoring quality of seating are related issues, because people like you that have nostalgia and will continue to pay money to attend NO MATTER WHAT are a dying breed. Call it what you want, people who don't have their heads up their asses are worried about it everywhere in college football. Smart programs are already trying to do something about it instead acting like a cranky old man who likes it like it is.

I didn't miss your point, I just disagree with it. I have a clue about a lot of things, especially that Nebraska is the ONLY big time college football program that is pretending that a propped-up sellout streak means something. I'm fine with boosters buying tickets if it happens as you claim, let's just be like every other big time program and stop talking about the stupid sellout streak. The continued clinging to the streak while ignoring quality of seating are related issues, because people like you that have nostalgia and will continue to pay money to attend NO MATTER WHAT are a dying breed. Call it what you want, people who don't have their heads up their asses are worried about it everywhere in college football. Smart programs are already trying to do something about it instead acting like a cranky old man who likes it like it is.
You pen this and then call me cranky? Ha. I hate getting into pissing matches on here. Waste of time and silly. I said I agree with you that the seating is awful. But I don't think it is old timers who are keeping the stadium full. In fact, just the opposite. The older you get the harder it is to negotiate that place on game day. My dad gave up his season tickets when he turned 75 because he had prostate surgery and could not hold his piss anymore. And when I go to games the legendary "blue hairs" (down in front!) are fewer and fewer. I see lots of young folks. But you are correct, the pressures from TV, as I noted in my post, are only going to get worse. We should renovate the place and put in stadium seats. And add bathrooms and exits to the bathrooms.

But I stand by my contention that until that happens there will still be tons of people who want to actually be in that stadium on game day. There will still be tens of thousands of Nebraskans who want to be there despite the piss poor seating. And that anyone who does not want to be there because of bladder control issues are just whining.

As for the sell out streak ... it is not that important to me actually. I just don't like it being criticized out of ignorance as to how booster tickets actually work. And if Alberts ginned things up a bit in order to sell 2500 tickets then good. 2500 isn't that many. As I said a lot of programs do not even have boosters willing to do that. We do. Ergo: all tickets are sold. Ergo: sellout. I don't understand the hostility of so many to the streak. It is as if it annoys them. They think it is just all part of a package of deception called Husker football and it pisses them off. I really don't care. If the streak ends this season I will just give a small sigh and move on. Nothing lasts forever in life. Nothing.

You pen this and then call me cranky? Ha. I hate getting into pissing matches on here. Waste of time and silly. I said I agree with you that the seating is awful. But I don't think it is old timers who are keeping the stadium full. In fact, just the opposite. The older you get the harder it is to negotiate that place on game day. My dad gave up his season tickets when he turned 75 because he had prostate surgery and could not hold his piss anymore. And when I go to games the legendary "blue hairs" (down in front!) are fewer and fewer. I see lots of young folks. But you are correct, the pressures from TV, as I noted in my post, are only going to get worse. We should renovate the place and put in stadium seats. And add bathrooms and exits to the bathrooms.

But I stand by my contention that until that happens there will still be tons of people who want to actually be in that stadium on game day. There will still be tens of thousands of Nebraskans who want to be there despite the piss poor seating. And that anyone who does not want to be there because of bladder control issues are just whining.

As for the sell out streak ... it is not that important to me actually. I just don't like it being criticized out of ignorance as to how booster tickets actually work. And if Alberts ginned things up a bit in order to sell 2500 tickets then good. 2500 isn't that many. As I said a lot of programs do not even have boosters willing to do that. We do. Ergo: all tickets are sold. Ergo: sellout. I don't understand the hostility of so many to the streak. It is as if it annoys them. They think it is just all part of a package of deception called Husker football and it pisses them off. I really don't care. If the streak ends this season I will just give a small sigh and move on. Nothing lasts forever in life. Nothing.
Didn't read past your first sentence. You referred to me as a crybaby and then you get your tit in a twist because I said you were cranky. That's reasonable.

Exactly. A lot of venerable old college stadiums have the same issues Memorial does. Penn State is also horrific. I have been to a lot of Notre Dame games (my wife is a grad) and it is only marginally better. The fact is any stadium that still has the old fashioned straight bench seating is in a world of hurt with regard to ease of egress and return. In the age of every game on TV and 100 inch screens with great sound and graphics... it is amazing anyone goes to the games. But we still do. And that is because there is no substitute for being in that crowd. I have lived on the East Coast for 34 years. And I still fly back to Lincoln twice a year to actually sit in those seats. Those seats and that stadium are personal to me. And to many others. That stadium and the games in it are a shrine to the people of Nebraska. I grew up in Lincoln and yet every time I drive from my parent's house in the Highlands down interstate 180 and come across the bridge just before downtown and I see that stadium, I still get a thrill. And anyone who does not want to go to an actual game because they can't hold their piss is just a crybaby.
I know for me heading to Lincoln on game day is about the experience. Seeing the streets fill up with people in red and white, hearing the go big red chants, the bars get packed, there is an energy in the air. It is hard to explain but super easy to feel when you are there.

I can even remember the dorms on game day. Everyone with their doors opened up, husker music playing, everyone getting ready to head out. It was a blast. I am sure it still is!

I know for me heading to Lincoln on game day is about the experience. Seeing the streets fill up with people in red and white, hearing the go big red chants, the bars get packed, there is an energy in the air. It is hard to explain but super easy to feel when you are there.

I can even remember the dorms on game day. Everyone with their doors opened up, husker music playing, everyone getting ready to head out. It was a blast. I am sure it still is!
It is the same in all great college football towns. It is why you go. It isn't just a false nostalgia from old timers with their heads up their asses. It is damn fun. It is a huge, all day and night long party on the streets of downtown Lincoln.

Didn't read past your first sentence. You referred to me as a crybaby and then you get your tit in a twist because I said you were cranky. That's reasonable.
I like twisted tits. Especially after a few bourbons. Peace dude. Life's too short for dumb internet arguments...

Idk if you guys are watching the same games I've been. Triple options (with motion into backfield by

He has a hard time putting his foot in the ground and cutting it up on obvious keep reads when he has a pitch man

It’s very clear he’s never run triple option prior to his time at Nebraska, and that stuff is very hard to learn later in life

The play is a nice compliment to the in-line run game. If it was anything more, nobody would be happy with the resul

Not sure we're watching the same games... Whenever we've done the triple option (

The play is a nice compliment to the in-line run game. If it was anything more, nobody would be happy with the results
Not sure we're watching the same games... Whenever we've done the triple option (with motion receiver into the backfield) has been solid, including AM absolutely nailing his role.

Now if we're talking read option, then you're spot on...

The sellout streak sign is about as believable as the most “academic all Americans” sign that is shown.

That Doesn’t mean that Nebraska isn’t a great school with great traditions and awesome fans. I certainly agree that we need to bring the volume for the NW game Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT