ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday: Nebraska vs. Michigan State (Huskers win 8-7)

Meyers on the bump, pitching only today. Couple other adjustments to the lineup...

Top 1st

Jake Meyers on the mound for the Huskers. Leadoff single to LF for MSU and a steal moves him to 2nd. Groundout to 2nd but the runner advances to 3rd on the play. A pop up to first for out #2. Next batter walks to put runners on the corners. Fly out to CF ends the threat

Bottom 1st

Leadoff walk for Altavilla. Mojo walks on 4 pitches and had the intention to SAC bunt. Schreiber grounds into a hard hit 4-6-3 DP, Altavilla moves to 3rd. Miller with an RBI single to LF!!! Roskam flies out to Deep CF

Top 2nd

A horribly blown call by the umpire allows a one out base runner to reach 1st on what will be scored as an E6 throwing error. A single to CF puts runners on 1st and 2nd. And "RBI"
Single to LF ties the game up and puts runners on 1st and 2nd. Groundsout to 1st moves the runners to 2nd and 3rd. Groundsout to SS ends the inning.

If you're scoring at home here is the updated score:

Nebraska 1
Michigan State 0
1st base umpire 1

Bottom 2nd

Leadoff single to RF for Alvarado. Wilkening flies out to CF. Schlepp singles to RF, Alvarado makes it to 2nd on the play. Balk call moves the runners to 2nd and 3rd. Cronenbold with an RBI single to CF!!! Runners on the corners. Altavilla with the RBI single to RF!!! Cronenbold moves to 2nd on the play! Pitching change for MSU. Mojo Ks. WP advances the runners to 2nd and 3rd. Schreiber is then intentionally walked to load the bases. Miller Ks looking.

Championship choking checklist: Multiple defensive brainfarts (done). Opponent taking advantage of wind to left while we continue our "line-drive/base hit" approach (done). Huzzah :oops:

Top 3rd

Solo HR by MSU to leadoff the inning. Another HR to the exact same spot ties the game up. Both wind aided homeruns to some extent. Double to CF by the next batter. Fly out to RF but the runner does tag up from 2nd and heads to 3rd on the play. A fly out to RF but Schreiber thought there were 2 outs already so he never attempted to throw out the runner tagging from 3rd on what would have been a close play at home if he had. A double to left center ends the day for Meyers as Robbie Palkert now enters the game to pitch. RBI single to CF scores another. Fly out to CF ends the bleeding

Top 4th

Leadoff single to LF for MSU. Groundout to SS moves he runner to 2nd. Next batter Ks. RBI single to RF on a poorly played ball by Schreiber that drops in front of him after calling Schlepp off on the play. K ends the frame

Just got back. Any thoughts about whether Meyers's poor start was influenced by his injury, or just an uncharacteristicly bad outing by him?

Bottom 4th

Schlepp takes an 0-2 pitch and splits the outfielders in left center for a leadoff double! Cronenbold reaches on a very gifted E4 as the fielder drops an easy pop out to put runners on 1st and 2nd. Altavilla walks to load the bases. Mojo Ks. Schreiber with a ground ruled double bouncing over the right center wall to score 2 runs and put runners on 2nd and 3rd!!! SAC fly from Miller scores another and Schreiber takes 3rd on the throw to the plate. Roskam Ks looking.

Just got back. Any thoughts about whether Meyers's poor start was influenced by his injury, or just an uncharacteristicly bad outing by him?
Probably a combination. As stellar as he's been, he was due to have a bad outing. The injury probably didn't help, but if he was going to have a bad outing, at least it was on a day when the bullpen was mentally prepared to pick up the slack given his injury.

Edit: Personally, I blame Sipple...
http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_106d313b-415e-5c0e-bdb4-4088b7bcd10d.html

Reactions: RobsterMobster
Probably a combination. As stellar as he's been, he was due to have a bad outing. The injury probably didn't help, but if he was going to have a bad outing, at least it was on a day when the bullpen was mentally prepared to pick up the slack given his injury.
Really glad we didn't have to use Palkert on Friday.

I'd like to see US elevate some balls to left today, for a change. Letting Iowa and now Michigan State murder us with a leftward breeze without retaliating is garbage.

Reactions: saluno22
I'd like to see US elevate some balls to left today, for a change. Letting Iowa and now Michigan State murder us with a leftward breeze without retaliating is garbage.
Cronenbold is going to need about twice as stiff a wind to get the ball over the fence.

Reactions: HuskersNC
Bottom 5th

2 out infield single for Schlepp. Cronenbold grounds out to 3rd to end the inning

Top 6th

Two out walk for MSU. Jake McSteen now in to relieve Palkert. One pitch later a groundout to 2nd ends the top half

Based on numerous comments on the radio this weekend, sounds like the umpiring has left a lot to be desired in this series. I rarely hear about so many questionable and downright bad calls. I feel like Bob Homolka must be lurking around somewhere.

Based on numerous comments on the radio this weekend, sounds like the umpiring has left a lot to be desired in this series. I rarely hear about so many questionable and downright bad calls. I feel like Bob Homolka must be lurking around somewhere.
Absolutely atrocious, but worse, completely one sided. Today alone, 2 balls on the dirt that weren't offered at were called strikes today (Wilkening and Hagge), and I believe there was a bad call at first early in the game (took my mom out for lunch, not sure what happened).

Reactions: RobsterMobster
Bottom 6th

Two out double through the left side for Schreiber he then takes 3rd on a throwing error (E7). Miller with a slate RBI single to CF!!! Looks as though the center fielder's depth perception was a little off a little on the play. Roskam with an RBI double to LF!!! Miller looked like a fat kid jumping into a sandbox at the playground with that slide home. Going to miss the joys of watching him run bases after he's gone. Pitching change for MSU. Alvarado pops out to end the inning.

Top 7th

Leadoff single to RF for MSU. Pop out to 1st. RBI double to LF. Groundout to SS, runner stays at 2nd. Fly out to RF ends the frame

Absolutely atrocious, but worse, completely one sided. Today alone, 2 balls on the dirt that weren't offered at were called strikes today (Wilkening and Hagge), and I believe there was a bad call at first early in the game (took my mom out for lunch, not sure what happened).

Hagge's called strike three was down and out but not in the dirt.

Bottom 7th

One out single through the right side for Schlepp and a WP moves him to 2nd. Cronenbold Ks. Altavilla Ks looking.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT