ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Morning Hangover

Husker.Wed.

Athletic Director
Feb 13, 2004
Omaha Metro
Not the alcohol kind, The Nebraska lost another winnable game kind. The fact it was the #3 team on the road doesn't make any difference. Not when considered with the body of work that no matter how good or bad the teams we play are, we find a way to make enough mistakes to lose. I would LOVE for yesterday's game to be a point of inflection when NU finally starts winning games maybe they shouldn't and Scott Frost comes into his own and coaches good football for many years to come. But I doubt that happens. I expect a big letdown and Nebraska getting boat-raced next week. Then probably getting outcoached by Northwestern.

I'm SO SAD Nebraska will have to pay out gobs of money again and start all over. But four years of Frost-ball has worn me out, sapped my fun of being a fan, and made waking up more than half the Sundays after games depressing. It needs to end after this year.

Not the alcohol kind, The Nebraska lost another winnable game kind. The fact it was the #3 team on the road doesn't make any difference. Not when considered with the body of work that no matter how good or bad the teams we play are, we find a way to make enough mistakes to lose. I would LOVE for yesterday's game to be a point of inflection when NU finally starts winning games maybe they shouldn't and Scott Frost comes into his own and coaches good football for many years to come. But I doubt that happens. I expect a big letdown and Nebraska getting boat-raced next week. Then probably getting outcoached by Northwestern.

I'm SO SAD Nebraska will have to pay out gobs of money again and start all over. But four years of Frost-ball has worn me out, sapped my fun of being a fan, and made waking up more than half the Sundays after games depressing. It needs to end after this year.
I'm not ready to give up on him just yet. Get 6 wins. Clean up the HS garbage penalties and special teams. Build off that for next year. Anything less than 6 wins is curtains. He's already pissed away 2. Clean it up. Do your job. Save your job. Period.

Scott Frost has to prove he can put together winning seasons. To do that he has to prove he can win Big Ten games.

Scott Frost is 9-18 in conference games while coaching in the Big Ten. He has never finished above the 5th place in the Big Ten West.

In 5 full seasons as a head coach, Scott Frost has 4 losing seasons and is currently 2-2 with an 0-2 start against P5 schools and 0-1 against the Big Ten West. It's not looking good for Frost.

But all the above isn't even what I am the angriest about - it's failing at teaching the basics and not putting up a disciplined football team on the field at any period of 3 years adn4 games into the 4th year. That is what I am the angriest about.

Funny thing is I felt Scott coached a fantastic game. But also shit that has nothing to do with calling plays and managing the game IRT keep haunting us. (FGs, ST, penalties).
I’ve never rooted for a team this snakebit for this long. It’s a strange feeling

Reactions: headcard
Funny thing is I felt Scott coached a fantastic game. But also shit that has nothing to do with calling plays and managing the game IRT keep haunting us. (FGs, ST, penalties).
I’ve never rooted for a team this snakebit for this long. It’s a strange feeling
So many schools these days are trying to score a ton of points by having a ton of plays and a ton of drives in every game. The outscore you approach to football. It's failing big time for a ton of schools.

Some schools are starting to get back to TOS-based football and trying to limit the number of times the other team can have with the ball.

The Gophers did it against Ohio State and it worked for most of the game.

Football is a cyclical sport. It was a TOS based, run the ball, play defense for decades. Then tons of schools went spread and slung the ball around and nobody was having great success doing that. Now things are starting to turn back to controlling the game with your offense and playing good defense.

Scott Frost tried this exact approach of - we will outscore you approach - and now he is on the hot seat because of how badly it failed.

Reactions: zrob
So many schools these days are trying to score a ton of points by having a ton of plays and a ton of drives in every game. The outscore you approach to football. It's failing big time for a ton of schools.

Some schools are starting to get back to TOS-based football and trying to limit the number of times the other team can have with the ball.

The Gophers did it against Ohio State and it worked for most of the game.

Football is a cyclical sport. It was a TOS based, run the ball, play defense for decades. Then tons of schools went spread and slung the ball around and nobody was having great success doing that. Now things are starting to turn back to controlling the game with your offense and playing good defense.

Scott Frost tried this exact approach of - we will outscore you approach - and now he is on the hot seat because of how badly it failed.
Yet Chin's defense is showing that it is fully capable. It's the OL, SP, and undisciplined play that continue to haunt SF.

I’m not saying Frost called a terrible game, but just to counter the point…
We couldn’t get lined up twice in the second half costing us a critical timeout on the first play of a series when we’re down two scores, and wasted another down when they couldnt get the play in on time (Frost admission) and Adrian had to run a sneak to waste a down but save a second timeout.
Those are amateur coaching errors in a big time game. They are as bad or worse than the OL false starts and he gets paid $5 million to not let that happen.
Losing the timeout bit us hard as the game came down to the wire.
Coaches need to help us win games, not contribute to the plethora of mental errors.

I'm not ready to give up on him just yet. Get 6 wins. Clean up the HS garbage penalties and special teams. Build off that for next year. Anything less than 6 wins is curtains. He's already pissed away 2. Clean it up. Do your job. Save your job. Period.
Agree! He can probably save his job by taking Special Teams seriously because that phase alone has lost games for us. Why it isn’t being stressed after all that has happened in the last 4 years boggles the mind!

The silly penalties by the O-line has to stop also. Those two things are problem areas that are easy to spot and totally within their power to fix. Do that and it will make a huge difference in winning or losing the games to come.

I just don’t know if the Offensive Staff has it in them? They seem like big picture guys and are not detail oriented. They seem to want to dazzle everyone rather than just be workmanlike. That is just what I’ve seen the last 4 years from this Offense.

You’re hangover is because of negativity, maybe try drinking. Yeah it’s been a hard road, with mistakes. That was a great effort yesterday against an elite team.
If you & others don’t see the difference between last year & this season. I suggest you see an optometrist this week.

MSU is playing well but they aren’t Oklahoma in any fashion. In case you missed it Northwestern lost to sub par Duke team.

Agree! He can probably save his job by taking Special Teams seriously because that phase alone has lost games for us. Why it isn’t being stressed after all that has happened in the last 4 years boggles the mind!

The silly penalties by the O-line has to stop also. Those two things are problem areas that are easy to spot and totally within their power to fix. Do that and it will make a huge difference in winning or losing the games to come.

I just don’t know if the Offensive Staff has it in them? They seem like big picture guys and are not detail oriented. They seem to want to dazzle everyone rather than just be workmanlike. That is just what I’ve seen the last 4 years from this Offense.
We will learn very soon. B1G play is all about lining up and beating the man across the line. I heard all this "bloody noses" talk before the game yesterday. We'll see if they can sustain this through B1G play.

I see growth, but I also see regression. I'm not sure to blame it youth or just pure stupidity... With children you will always see regression before either a physical or mental growth spurt. With this team and staff you never know who is going to show up.

I have seen a game plan stuck to for the past 2 weeks and it worked. I watched a defense that is formidable. I really thought the team would collapse in the 3rd quarter as has been the case since Frost came here. I really liked what I saw yesterday outside of the brain farts. If somehow this teams stops beating themselves, they can make it to a bowl game.

The moment we can no longer win six, is the day he gets his walking papers. Start the process of finding the next coach to try and turn this ship around. With bowl games not meaning much except cash to the conferences anymore. We can jump start the process. If he gets us to a bowl game, then He lives for next year, where 8 is his magic number.

Scott Frost has to prove he can put together winning seasons. To do that he has to prove he can win Big Ten games.

Scott Frost is 9-18 in conference games while coaching in the Big Ten. He has never finished above the 5th place in the Big Ten West.

In 5 full seasons as a head coach, Scott Frost has 4 losing seasons and is currently 2-2 with an 0-2 start against P5 schools and 0-1 against the Big Ten West. It's not looking good for Frost.

But all the above isn't even what I am the angriest about - it's failing at teaching the basics and not putting up a disciplined football team on the field at any period of 3 years adn4 games into the 4th year. That is what I am the angriest about.
Why do you bring up facts that all of us already are aware of?

Your snide is getting old..

Most of us thought we would be 3-1 at this point in the season. Instead we are 2-2 with that ugly loss to Illinois. That ugly loss means we have no margin for error going forward. The season ahead will either be Frost’s redemption or his demise. And it starts against MSU. Lose this game and I am not certain how we salvage this season. Win it and a certain dynamism can take hold. We must beat MSU, Purdue, NW, and Minnesota. That would give us six wins. And if we can find a way to knock off one of the others all the better. It all depends on whether or not the team that took OU to the wire shows up for every one of our remaining games.

Most of us thought we would be 3-1 at this point in the season. Instead we are 2-2 with that ugly loss to Illinois. That ugly loss means we have no margin for error going forward. The season ahead will either be Frost’s redemption or his demise. And it starts against MSU. Lose this game and I am not certain how we salvage this season. Win it and a certain dynamism can take hold. We must beat MSU, Purdue, NW, and Minnesota. That would give us six wins. And if we can find a way to knock off one of the others all the better. It all depends on whether or not the team that took OU to the wire shows up for every one of our remaining games.

this.

Question is can we win these games with missed FG’s and blocked and missed extra points and little improvement the rest of the way on the OL?

Question is can we win these games with missed FG’s and blocked and missed extra points and little improvement the rest of the way on the OL?
I don’t think so. If we don’t correct those issues we may win only two more games: Purdue and NW. And even those won’t be gimmes. The O line issues worry me the most. Even our blocked extra point was more of an o line problem than a kicking problem. We simply must win against MSU. But that will require a running game and pass protection. I actually think MSU is a tougher team physically than OU. Not as talented or as fast, but more physical. OU’s physicality did not impress me. Our o line had better come to play this week.

Pennsy, The whole team needs to come to play the rest of the way if they want to accomplish Didly Sqate this season..

Getting tired hearing SF say “ If I had a nickel every time why we lose for bad special teams I would have a lot of nickels”

We will learn very soon. B1G play is all about lining up and beating the man across the line. I heard all this "bloody noses" talk before the game yesterday. We'll see if they can sustain this through B1G play.

It is not just B1G play. Football in general is scheming to get one on one matchups and letting your guy beat their guy. You need playmakers and you get them into the one-on-one situations the let them excel. We've had few playmakers over the last 20 years. This team looks like we might be having multiple playmakers on both sides of the ball finally.

Pennsy, The whole team needs to come to play the rest of the way if they want to accomplish Didly Sqate this season..

Getting tired hearing SF say “ If I had a nickel every time why we lose for bad special teams I would have a lot of nickels”
Well…. I am trying to stay optimistic but it is hard. I am tired of Frost’s excuses. I honestly think he is just not a good coach. I doubt we win many more games this year. My hunch is that our showing against OU is a false hope. My gut says OU is overrated. But my gut is often wrong.

Reactions: HBK4life
I don't think 6 wins should necessarily save his job. 7 wins maybe. It depends how well we play in those remaining games, and if we're still doing the same dumb shit we've done for 4 years to lose games.

I think even 5 and he stays. I think Trev is gonna take a very level headed approach to the year end decision. And he’ll weigh in who he think we can even draw, and what the ramifications of that switch will be. Trev gets that part of our issues have been constant turnover

Every time I hear him say that I think with the kind of buyout his agent negotiated for him, I doubt he has to worry about nickels, even if he has a lot of them.

Yet Chin's defense is showing that it is fully capable. It's the OL, SP, and undisciplined play that continue to haunt SF.

It will be interesting to see how 4th year coach Scott Frost performs in the final eight regular season games in the Big Ten.

I recall a former Big Ten coach who lost in Norman in his first season at the helm.

In the Hawkeyes’ home opener, the Hawkeyes faithful gave (Hayden) Fry and his team a standing ovation as they shifted into multiple formations. Iowa blew a 26-3 lead in a 30-26 loss to Indiana, which was coached by Lee Corso. The following week, Iowa traveled to Oklahoma and competed against the mighty Sooners and Heisman Trophy-winning running back Billy Sims, but still lost 21-6.

In what initially seemed like a moral victory, Fry, a psychology major at Baylor, saw it differently.

“I just told my football team that’s what’s wrong with our ball club,” Fry said, as reported by the Cedar Rapids Gazette. “We get our asses kicked and we get complimented. If I see one guy with a smile on his face, I’m gonna bust him right in the mouth.”

Iowa finished 5-6 in his first year and 4-7 in 1980. Still, the vibe had changed around the program entering his third season.

“I think people sensed that Hayden was different, that the program he brought was different than what they had seen before,” said (Barry) Alvarez, then the Iowa linebackers coach. “We were very competitive.” - From RossWB

I am not surprised the game was close with Oklahoma. I wasn't surprised the Week 1 game went to Illinois.

Now, Mel Tucker against Scott Frost again. This time in East Lansing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT