ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday, May 9th: Nebraska vs. Rutgers - (Huskers win 15-5)

0-0 after 2.

Hroch worked a 1-2-3 1st, allowed 2 ground ball singles in the 2nd but induced a ground ball double play to avoid damage.

Nebraska got the lead off man aboard in both innings but failed to score. 0-3 w/RISP. All too similar to Friday/Saturday last week so they need to break through soon.

T3
Hallmark with a 1-out double.
Schwellenbach walks.
Both runners advance on a wild pitch. Roskam hits a ground-rule double to plate 2 runs!
Anderson singles to left. Roskam advances to third.
A wild pickoff attempt throw brings in Roskam!
Chick strikes out swinging.
Hellstrom grounds out to second.

B3
Hroch around a 1-out single and a 2-out walk.

3-0 Big Red

Huskers lead 3-0 after 3. Rutgers pitcher doesn’t have the same stuff as he did last week. Batters need to continue to put presser on Rutgers pitching.

T4
Ackerman reaches with 2 outs on an E5.
Hallmark flies out.

B4
Hroch allows a 1-out single but nothing else.

3-0 Big Red

T5
Roskam singles with 1 out.
Anderson grounds out to third but it was a hit-and-run so Roskam reaches second.
Chick flies out to end the threat.

B5
Hroch hits the lead off man and gives up a 1-out double. A groundout plates a run. Chick makes a diving catch on a liner to end the inning.

3-1 Big Red

T6
Hellstrom leads off and is hit by a pitch. He advances to second on a wild pitch.
Matthews walks.

RAIN DELAY

For the second consecutive day, an effective Nebraska starter’s day will end prematurely due to weather.

Last edited:
Hroch struggled in B5 handling the ball with the rain. Tough luck, finish the half inning.

Rutgers struggling in T6, hey let's delay the game.

Same crap as the Indiana crybaby Saturday. You can't make this up. I hope this one bites them though, in our favor with a suspended game making it final.

5 innings I guess can make it official, and with the travel tomorrow I say make it official on them. We could of played a little longer but Rutgers coaches are notorious for whining as we all know. I’m thinking Wynn may be the go to if we do resume this game. Unless they were planning to start him tomorrow.

I don’t know the rules around calling it early vs. resuming tomorrow. If the latter happens, is it then shortened to 7 innings? In my opinion, it shouldn’t but, as always, predicting Big Ten decisions is a fool’s errand.

Reactions: scarletred
I don’t know the rules around calling it early vs. resuming tomorrow. If the latter happens, is it then shortened to 7 innings? In my opinion, it shouldn’t but, as always, predicting Big Ten decisions is a fool’s errand.
What time do they leave to come home is another factor how many innings they play tomorrow... Like them to finish this one and only play 7 for the 2 game..

At least Michigan didn’t sweep MSU...

The radio guys said the umpires would meet with the coaches at 3:30 CT but play resumed at about 3:20, a delay of approximately 40 minutes, so...

T6 RESUMED
Steil can’t get the bunt down and pops out.
Acker hits into a fielder’s choice 6-4 to put runners on the corners (or “runners on the corner” as Nick Handley likes to say.)
Hallmark walks to load the bases.
A wild pitch scores Hellstrom and moves up the runners!
Schwellenbach walks to load ‘em up.
GRAND SLAM TO LEFT FIELD BY ROSKAM!!!
Anderson Ks to end the frame.
NU’s only hit was Roskam’s blast.

B6
The delay was short enough to allow Hroch to stay in the mound.
He hits a batter with 1 out and allows and three 2-out singles to score two runs.
Pitching change. Max Schreiber is now in the game.
A ground out to the pitcher ends the frame.

8-3 Big Red

Last edited:
The radio guys said the umpires would meet with the coaches at 3:30 CT but play resumed at about 3:20, a delay of approximately 40 minutes, so...

T6 RESUMED
Steil can’t get the bunt down and pops out.
Acker hits into a fielder’s choice 6-4 to put runners on the corners (or “runners on the corner” as Nick Handley likes to say.)
Hallmark walks to load the bases.
A wild pitch scores Hellstrom and moves up the runners!
Schwellenbach walks to load ‘em up.
GRAND SLAM TO LEFT FIELD BY ROSKAM!!!
Anderson Ks to end the frame.
NU’s only hit was Rodman’s blast.

8-1 Big Red
How come husker.com is no longer carrying the end of the game..

T7
Chick draws a lead off walk.
Hellstrom bunts but Chick is out at second.
Matthews walks.
Steil is robbed of a hit on a great catch by the center fielder.
Acker strikes out to end the threat.

B7
Schreiber works a 1-2-3 inning.

8-3 Big Red

T8
Hallmark reaches on an E5 and promptly steals second.
Schwellenbach Ks.
Roskam walks.
Anderson lines out to right.
Hallmark steals third. Three more “runners on the corner” descriptions from Handley.
Chick singles to deep short to score Hallmark!
Hellstrom Ks

B8
Hagge enters to play left.
Schreiber allows a lead off single but Roskam guns down the runner trying to steal second.
A double and a walk follow but a groundout ends the inning.

9-3 Big Red

Reactions: scarletred
T9
Matthews walks.
Steil reaches on a HBP.
A bunt by Acker yields an infield single and Matthews scores on a throwing error!
Hallmark pops up to the shortstop, who drops it but has time to get the force-out at second.
Hallmark steals second without anyone covering second.
Schwellenbach plates two with a double to left!
Roskam walks.
Andersen singles to center to load the bases.
Somebody Ks.
Somebody walks
Somebody else singles to score two runs.
Somebody flies out.

B9
Pitching change. Hallmark comes in from center field to climb the hill.
Hallmark gives up a single and a home run but also strikes out two and induces a groundout to second. Game over.

Final Score:
Nebraska 15
Rutgers 5

Last edited:
Reactions: saluno22
If they win tomorrow all's forgiven for last weekend. No pressure.

Our bullpen has 6 rested arms with 0 appearances this weekend. 4 LHP & 2 RHP. LHP's are Olson, Feekin, Martin & Perry with RHP's Mason & Bragg.

Wynne 2/3 inning on 5 pitches so he's available, as is Frank and my guess is Schreiber is as well. He was around 37 pitches today, and not many were stressful. He's got a rubber arm, showed well today & experienced on multiple appearances in a weekend plus he hasn't been used much this year.

(Please hold back negative comments on all, lol. Point is, we've got quality arms for this opponent & ya never know who steps up. See Ethan Bradford's only 2 appearances this year, both have been recent & rock solid.)

Add in limited action RHP Frank, Wynne & possibly Schreiber. I don't think Hallmark will be available unless emergency as he was up two different times today in the bullpen if I heard coach Bolt correctly in the post-game show.

Rutgers has used 11 arms from the pen this weekend compared to our 8. I get their 3 games over 3 days compared to our 3 games in 28ish hours. I'm hopeful on the bump Monday, let's go 3-1!

ADVERTISEMENT