ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday, April 18th: Nebraska at Penn State - (Huskers win 5-3)

Top 1st

Leadoff walk for Acker.
Hallmark K’s.
Schwellenbach HBP.
Chick K’s.
Anderson flies out to the warning track.

Bottom 1st

Shay on the mound to hopefully finish the series sweep.
One out triple for PSU to start it off.
Huge K for out #2.
Groundout ends the inning.

Top 2nd

One out walk for Banjoff.
Matthews grounds out to 3rd but Banjoff advances to 3rd on the play.
Everitt K’s.

Bottom 2nd

1-2-3 inning for Shay

Top 3rd

Leadoff double for Acker!
Hallmark flies out to RF but Acker does move to 3rd on the play.
Schwellenbach with an RBI single to CF!!!
Schwellenbach steals 2nd and then takes 3rd on a throwing error by the catcher.
Chick walks to put runners on the corners.
Anderson flies out to shallow RF and the runners stay put.
Roskam grounds out.

Bottom 3rd

Back to back one out singles for PSU.
A a potential double play ball leads to a fielding error by Anderson allows PSU to load the bases.
A groundout to 1st gets the force out at home.
A WP ties the game but a runner does get caught in a run down for the 3rd out.

Top 4th

A one out E4 allows Matthews to reach 1st.
Everitt executes a perfect hit through the right side to put runners on the corners.
Acker reaches on an error but does record the RBI as Matthews scores from 3rd, runners on the corners.
Hallmark with an attempted safety squeeze but Everitt is thrown out at home, runners now on 1st and 2nd with two outs.
Schwellenbach grounds out to 2nd to end the top half.

Bottom 4th

A leadoff single up the middle but a 6-4-3 double play clears the bases.
Fly out to CF ends the inning.

Top 5th

Chick takes a full count pitch and doubles to right centerfield to leadoff the 5th.
Anderson with a line drive single to LF and a WP puts runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs.
Roskam walks to load the bases.
Banjoff with a 2 RBI single to right CF!!! Banjoff then advances to 2nd on a throwing error to put runners on 2nd and 3rd and no outs!
Matthews K’s.
Everitt K’s
Acker grounds out to SS to leave two runners on.

Bottom 5th

A one out bunt singles gets a runner on for PSU and a WP advances him to 2nd.
Shay K’s the next batter.
An RBI double makes it a 4-2 ball game.
A strike out ends the inning.

Top 6th

Chick with a 2 out walk and a WP advances him to 2nd.
Anderson with an RBI single to score another run!!!
Roskam K’s

Bottom 6th

Another error by Anderson allows a runner to reach 1st with one out.
A double puts runners on 2nd and 3rd.
A groundout to 1st does score one and moves another runner to 3rd.
Fly out to RF ends the inning.

Top 7th

1-2-3 for the Skers

Bottom 7th

Jake Bunz now in to pitch in relief of Shay and he pitches a quick 1-2-3 inning!

Top 8th

Another 1-2-3 inning for Nebraska

Bottom 8th

Schwellenbach now in to pitch as he gets a quick 1-2-3 inning to end the 8th.

Top 9th

Another 1-2-3 inning for Nebraska.

Bottom 9th

Schwellenbach works the side 1-2-3 to get the save, the 5-3 win, and the series sweep!!!

Reactions: Hskrbsbl2020
Games like this one happens when you face actual good pitching. Penn St arms put a good one together today. Tip of the hat.

Three Lion errors went a long ways helping us to win, though.

Reactions: RobsterMobster
I wanted to post earlier but I couldn’t break up the perfect string (an entire game’s updates in one post)!

Sweeping Penn State is just what was in order. But sweeps are hard, especially on the road. Nebraska last did that...at Penn State in 2019.

On to East Lansing!
As soon as I started it I felt I couldn’t go away from it. As soon as I did PSU would of had a 5 run inning per some kind of “multi post curse.”

Last time DONU had this good of a record was 2008 and also was the last time we hosted a regional

Top 1st

Leadoff walk for Acker.
Hallmark K’s.
Schwellenbach HBP.
Chick K’s.
Anderson flies out to the warning track.

Bottom 1st

Shay on the mound to hopefully finish the series sweep.
One out triple for PSU to start it off.
Huge K for out #2.
Groundout ends the inning.

Top 2nd

One out walk for Banjoff.
Matthews grounds out to 3rd but Banjoff advances to 3rd on the play.
Everitt K’s.

Bottom 2nd

1-2-3 inning for Shay

Top 3rd

Leadoff double for Acker!
Hallmark flies out to RF but Acker does move to 3rd on the play.
Schwellenbach with an RBI single to CF!!!
Schwellenbach steals 2nd and then takes 3rd on a throwing error by the catcher.
Chick walks to put runners on the corners.
Anderson flies out to shallow RF and the runners stay put.
Roskam grounds out.

Bottom 3rd

Back to back one out singles for PSU.
A a potential double play ball leads to a fielding error by Anderson allows PSU to load the bases.
A groundout to 1st gets the force out at home.
A WP ties the game but a runner does get caught in a run down for the 3rd out.

Top 4th

A one out E4 allows Matthews to reach 1st.
Everitt executes a perfect hit through the right side to put runners on the corners.
Acker reaches on an error but does record the RBI as Matthews scores from 3rd, runners on the corners.
Hallmark with an attempted safety squeeze but Everitt is thrown out at home, runners now on 1st and 2nd with two outs.
Schwellenbach grounds out to 2nd to end the top half.

Bottom 4th

A leadoff single up the middle but a 6-4-3 double play clears the bases.
Fly out to CF ends the inning.

Top 5th

Chick takes a full count pitch and doubles to right centerfield to leadoff the 5th.
Anderson with a line drive single to LF and a WP puts runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs.
Roskam walks to load the bases.
Banjoff with a 2 RBI single to right CF!!! Banjoff then advances to 2nd on a throwing error to put runners on 2nd and 3rd and no outs!
Matthews K’s.
Everitt K’s
Acker grounds out to SS to leave two runners on.

Bottom 5th

A one out bunt singles gets a runner on for PSU and a WP advances him to 2nd.
Shay K’s the next batter.
An RBI double makes it a 4-2 ball game.
A strike out ends the inning.

Top 6th

Chick with a 2 out walk and a WP advances him to 2nd.
Anderson with an RBI single to score another run!!!
Roskam K’s

Bottom 6th

Another error by Anderson allows a runner to reach 1st with one out.
A double puts runners on 2nd and 3rd.
A groundout to 1st does score one and moves another runner to 3rd.
Fly out to RF ends the inning.

Top 7th

1-2-3 for the Skers

Bottom 7th

Jake Bunz now in to pitch in relief of Shay and he pitches a quick 1-2-3 inning!

Top 8th

Another 1-2-3 inning for Nebraska

Bottom 8th

Schwellenbach now in to pitch as he gets a quick 1-2-3 inning to end the 8th.

Top 9th

Another 1-2-3 inning for Nebraska.

Bottom 9th

Schwellenbach works the side 1-2-3 to get the save, the 5-3 win, and the series sweep!!!

Thank you Robster! I wasn’t able to catch any of the game today so it was awesome to read the recap.

Rutgers just scored 5 in the 8th and 2 in the 9th to walk off Iowa 8-7. I know wins by Iowa make Nebraska look good but I’m more concerned about separation between NU and all other chasing teams. Good job, Scarlet Knights!

Reactions: donahues17 and k9_r
Rutgers just scored 5 in the 8th and 2 in the 9th to walk off Iowa 8-7. I know wins by Iowa make Nebraska look good but I’m more concerned about separation between NU and all other chasing teams. Good job, Scarlet Knights!
Adding that OSU looking to get swept at Maryland. Terps just added three runs, bottom of the 6th for a 9-4 lead.

I mean it doesn’t matter too much since we play every team this year. The pressure of sweeping the bad teams the next couples weeks almost feels worse.

I mean it doesn’t matter too much since we play every team this year. The pressure of sweeping the bad teams the next couples weeks almost feels worse.
Yep, RPI won’t mean much at the end of the season for Big Ten teams since there are no non-con games and 3-5 games against every other team in the league. The final standings will likely dictate who makes a regional.

Of more immediate concern is the possibility of hosting a regional. Host sites will be announced May 10. I think Nebraska will have to be in first place to even have a shot. And it sure would be nice to have a two game lead on Michigan and a 4-5 game lead on whoever is in third place.

Yep, RPI won’t mean much at the end of the season for Big Ten teams since there are no non-con games and 3-5 games against every other team in the league. The final standings will likely dictate who makes a regional.

Of more immediate concern is the possibility of hosting a regional. Host sites will be announced May 10. I think Nebraska will have to be in first place to even have a shot. And it sure would be nice to have a two game lead on Michigan and a 4-5 game lead on whoever is in third place.
I think either us or Michigan have a realistic shot at hosting. You don’t have to be a top 16 seed this year oddly enough which means RPI is a moot point. They want to limit travel for as many teams as possible and have a facility that can cater to the Covid Policies the NCAA sets. Which honestly, gives us a huge chance at hosting because they can’t have them all in SEC country like years past.

Reactions: coolonetoo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT