ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday (10/19) News Links

LJS: Husker baseball team set for Red-White series

Some tinkering, some fun and some baseball.

Nebraska baseball coach Darin Erstad promised "not the usual type of scrimmages" for the annual Red-White intrasquad games Sunday, Monday and Tuesday at Haymarket Park.

The Huskers, coming off their first NCAA Tournament appearance since 2008, have to find replacements for left fielder Michael Pritchard, second baseman Pat Kelly, and pitchers Aaron Bummer, Christian DeLeon, Zach Hirsch and Bob Greco, all of whom either graduated or turned pro.

This year's newcomers - Byron Hood (of Norris), Jake Meyers (of Omaha Westside), Sean Dageford, Luis Alvarado, Zack Engelken, Scott Schreiber and Jake Schleppenbach, among others, will all get on the field, Erstad said.

The Huskers return plenty of experience, with freshman All-American Ryan Boldt in center field, catcher Tanner Lubach, closer Josh Roeder, right fielder Austin Darby, pitchers-first basemen Austin Christensen and Ben Miller, infielder Jake Placzek, and shortstops Steven Reveles and Wes Edrington, who missed last season because of injury.

"We'll see a lot of pitchers and a lot of situations for these scrimmages," Erstad said. "We're just getting another chance to evaluate before we go into the quiet time before we start up again in January."

The annual Red-White series of seven-inning games starts Sunday with an autograph session from 4:40 to 5:30 p.m. before a game at 6. On Monday, the first 1,000 fans for the 6 p.m. game can purchase a hot dog for $1 and a Pepsi product for $1. The series concludes Tuesday at noon with the players in Halloween costumes. Admission is free; gates will open two hours before Sunday's game and 90 minutes before the Monday and Tuesday games.

LJS: Husker baseball team set for Red-White series

LJS: Edrington shooting at baseballs, not neutrons, this fall

The broken-in, brown Pro Preferred glove was still there. So were the spikes, the bat and the game.

Wes Edrington was rehabbing his left knee after surgery last fall. He was redshirting, learning to be a teammate and learning how to shoot neutrons in a Nebraska physics lab.

"We were working within the Nebraska physics lab, working with solid-state physics, working on a project for a professor who had a contract with the Department of Defense," Edrington said.

"I'm not majoring in eligibility, I want to get graduate degrees in physics and go on and have a job after baseball is over."

Baseball was long over for the better part of a year after Edrington, who started 26 games at shortstop his freshman year at Nebraska, was sidelined with the knee injury.

"I was away from baseball for almost three months - the first time in my life away from a game I started playing when I was 5," said the native of Fishers, Indiana.

Edrington tore an ACL when his spikes got caught in the infield during practice last fall. While recovering, he stopped by workouts, sat on the bench during home games and tried to follow the team on the radio when the Huskers were on the road.

"That lasted about a week. I couldn't stand to listen to the guys playing and not seeing the team play a game," Edrington said. "I'm supportive, but I was the only baseball player in town when they went on the road. So I caught up on my studies, strengthened my faith and worked on being a better teammate, a better friend, growing as a person."

Studies have always been important. Edrington, who graduated from high school in December 2012 and played for Nebraska two months later, started work on his majors of physics and math.

"No, I don't sit down and talk physics with Wes," NU coach Darin Erstad said. "I don't need to feel any dumber than I am. He is comfortable with that stuff. And he's good with that stuff, from looking at his grades."

As for growing in life and baseball, Erstad said Edrington is stronger than a year ago.

"He is hungry to play and he plays with a passion. His only problem coming back was that he was going 100 mph at the start. But he has settled in nicely and will help our team."

Edrington has been practicing this fall at shortstop and second base. The Huskers lost heavy-hitting second baseman Pat Kelly to the pros and return Steven Reveles at short. Jake Placzek, who played third and short last year, is also in contention, along with Hutchinson (Kansas) Community College transfer and Lincoln Pius X graduate Jake Schleppenbach.

"Everybody has a chance," Erstad said. "We're going to get everybody out there this fall and see where people fit in best."

Edrington has worked hard to improve his skills. He added 2 inches to his vertical jump and picked up time in his 10-yard sprint.

"I'm a lot stronger on the mental side because I understand that everything will be all right as long as you don't take things for granted," he said.

"I was guilty of that my first year here, taking things for granted. Now, I try to avoid being selfish with baseball. You know, checking in mentally with your teammates, asking how the day is going. Little things, but important things in being a teammate. I learned to stop worrying about my stats, myself, and started working with other people."

The Huskers will play three seven-inning intrasquad games in the annual Red-White series starting Sunday at 6 p.m., with an autograph session from 4:40 to 5:30 p.m.

The series continues Monday at 6 p.m. and the first 1,000 fans can purchase a hot dog for $1 and a Pepsi product for $1. The series concludes Tuesday at noon with the players in Halloween costumes. Admission is free and gates will be open two hours before Sunday's game and 90 minutes before the Monday and Tuesday games.

LJS: Edrington shooting at baseballs, not neutrons

LJS: Alex Gordon partners with Team Jack for the World Series

Former Husker baseball player Alex Gordon has partnered with Team Jack for the World Series.

For each hit Gordon records during the Royals' World Series matchup against the San Francisco Giants, the left fielder is asking for donations that will go directly to the Team Jack Foundation.

The goal is $10,000. All proceeds from the pledge campaign, as well as from sales of Gordon's "Team Jack" T-shirt, support pediatric brain cancer research.

Gordon, a two-time American League All-Star, was one of the first Team Jack All-Stars.

For more information visit www.teamjackfoundation.org.

LJS: Alex Gordon partners with Team Jack

ADVERTISEMENT