ADVERTISEMENT

suggestions for spinning rods and reels

Cored

Walk On
Nov 5, 2006
I'm looking to buy a new bass/walleye spinning rod and reel. I'm looking for good quality gear, but don't want to break the bank given I'll use it +/- 5 times a year.

I'm looking to buy a new bass/walleye spinning rod and reel. I'm looking for good quality gear, but don't want to break the bank given I'll use it +/- 5 times a year.
I would go for a medium or medium light power rod that's 6 ft long. St. Croix Triumph series will cost $100, their made in USA version will cost around $200 or more. I think any major brand reel in the $60 range will do. My rule off thumb is 1/3 of the total combo cost is for the reel, 2/3rds for the rod.

For sensitivity (walleyes) Fenwick is a great graphite rod for 100-200 dollars, I have a 6’ and 7’ split grip, both in medium power with moderate tip, catch way more on the 6’, don’t know why but I just really don’t like the split grips like I thought I would, they get caught in the holders alot

Reactions: Mack In Motion
If that's all the more times it'll be used, just buy a medium action Ugly Stick and an Abu Garcia or Pfluger reel.

Last edited:
Google Pflueger President combo. Less than $100 and you have a nice rod/reel combo that will give you years of enjoyment. If you want to spend significantly more, you sure can. If you do decide to spend more, I like the Fenwick of those listed above. Full disclosure... I use Pflueger President for all my spinning reels and Shimano Curados on my baitcasters.

Reactions: kccornhusker
Scheels brand rods have a lifetime, no questions asked, warranty. I’ve had rods break because they were stepped on and Scheels replaced them. I only buy Scheels rods for that reason.

I have high rods like St.croix and Fenwick. High end reels too. My Bass pro rods have lasted years and landed many fish with no problem. I'd buy a fast action 6'6 rod around 100 bucks and Diawa , Shimano, or Pflueger reel around 75 bucks. Lots off good rods and reels at that price point.Good luck.

Google Pflueger President combo. Less than $100 and you have a nice rod/reel combo that will give you years of enjoyment. If you want to spend significantly more, you sure can. If you do decide to spend more, I like the Fenwick of those listed above. Full disclosure... I use Pflueger President for all my spinning reels and Shimano Curados on my baitcasters.
JMO, but it seems to me like the best investment if you want to catch fish is in the line and bait, not the gear. Personally, I can't tell a whole lot of difference between the high end gear and medium range stuff. Unless you're trying to catch 80 pound flatheads, it's pretty unlikely your rod is going to break or the gears in the reel getting stripped out.

JMO, but it seems to me like the best investment if you want to catch fish is in the line and bait, not the gear. Personally, I can't tell a whole lot of difference between the high end gear and medium range stuff. Unless you're trying to catch 80 pound flatheads, it's pretty unlikely your rod is going to break or the gears in the reel getting stripped out.
You must not do must fishing. I've had rods and reels break . A good quality sensitive rod is worth it and cheaper reels aren't worth the investment if you fish on a regular basis. Plus fishing is much more pleasing when your fighting fish and not your equipment.

You must not do must fishing. I've had rods and reels break . A good quality sensitive rod is worth it and cheaper reels aren't worth the investment if you fish on a regular basis. Plus fishing is much more pleasing when your fighting fish and not your equipment.
I fish enough to not see the value in spending 300 bucks on a rod when a 40 dollar one probably isn't going to break 99.9% of the time, and that it's pretty hard to find yourself in a position where you'll strip the gears out of a 50 dollar Abu or Shimano. It's not like I'm saying a Zebco 33 is good enough for anybody other than a beginner, just saying that for a person that fishes 5-10 times a year they are probably better served buying good line and bait.

I believe you when you say you can't tell the difference between the high-end rods/reels and the mid-range products.
Well how many people really need a rod that if you hold it to someone's throat and they whisper, you can feel the vibration? Unless you're a pro bass fisherman that travels the country, a 50 or 60 dollar ugly stick is going to be just fine.

Well how many people really need a rod that if you hold it to someone's throat and they whisper, you can feel the vibration? Unless you're a pro bass fisherman that travels the country, a 50 or 60 dollar ugly stick is going to be just fine.
Exactly. The OP stated he would fish what 4-5 times a year?

Like telling a golfer that plays 4 times a year to get fitted high end clubs.

Reactions: Crazyhole
I trialed my dad's 6'6" medium-fast St. Croix Eyecon / Pflueger President combo and I absolutely loved it. Not wanting to spend $140 on a rod, I did extensive research. Read enough good things about the 6'6" medium fast Fenwick Eagle to pull the trigger. Guy at Scheel's convinced me to buy their reel over the Pflueger President and save $10.

Long story longer, my next purchase will be a St. Croix Eyecon / Pleuger President. Night and day difference. I fish less than 5x per year, and the premium set up is completely worth it, IMO. Especially if you're going to Canada/ SD/ MN for walleye.

Bless your heart.

Bless your heart.
Well, I've caught a 40 pound grass carp and a 13 pound channel cat on an ultralight 5' Shakespeare with an Abu Garcia lined with 4 pound test. Rod didn't break and the reel is still fine. I'm not sure what more someone could ask for in gear. I've caught several 6-8 pound bass and more 10+ pound cats than I can remember with ugly sticks. I still have a Berkeley power rod with an Abu baitcaster I bought 25 years ago ND it still catches fish just like it did when it was new.

I get that St Croix and 13 make awesome equipment, but I'd rather spend the 150 bucks in savings on lures, bait, and line.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
ADVERTISEMENT