ADVERTISEMENT

Success in the BIG

Ehme

Walk On
Gold Member
Feb 14, 2006
Until we learn to commit to the run and kill the clock in football, we will not be successful. I mean use a fullback to block and not use a QB running game.
And
Until we find a Post that is a threat to score in basketball, we will not be a great BiG team.

Reactions: bshirt73
Until we learn to commit to the run and kill the clock in football, we will not be successful. I mean use a fullback to block and not use a QB running game.
And
Until we find a Post that is a threat to score in basketball, we will not be a great BiG team.
success in the B1G is going to be tough to come by no matter what we do. This is an extremely tough conference in basketball and success in football as measured by Husker fans who remember the glory days is probably unattainable again in my lifetime. I know some won't like it, but I think the definition of success for our football program needs to be re-examined. We're not ever going to achieve what Tom did those last 4 years.

And
Yep. The way the game is ref’s in this conference advantages running teams. If you can hold in rungame then hold and run. This league allows corners to hold wr. (Watch northwestern corners, tough to get open against that)

Agree. It’s a RESULT of being a good team, it’s a correlation to being good - can convert 3rd downs on offense and stop opponents 3rd downs.
that or a reflection of a conscious decision to focus on that metric specifically as a way to gain an advantage.

Agree. It’s a RESULT of being a good team, it’s a correlation to being good - can convert 3rd downs on offense and stop opponents 3rd downs.
Well said. TOP in itself is worthless. But doing things like converting on 3rd down have a positive impact on TOP. Standing around and not snapping the ball, doesn’t make you a good offense. Better stop TE thing fact skill people, dot. Want explosive plays that could negatively impact TOP.

Reactions: Ehme
This guy will help on kickoffs.

For those without a subscription to the Athletic, his name is Kelen Meyer from Ord.

Just a taste:
Meyer, set to join the Huskers this fall, hit a 58-yard field goal in September at Central City to equal the record in Nebraska’s Class C and fall short of the all-time state high school mark by 1 yard. He missed wide left, with enough distance, from 64 yards in October at Centura. Meyer nailed 89 of 92 kickoffs for touchbacks. He won the award for longest kickoff, at 79 yards, in August at Alex Henery’s Midwest Kicking Camp, erasing the record held by former two-year Nebraska starter and NFL kicker Brett Maher.

wisconsin, minnesota and ohio st are all in the top 10 of TOP

we're a combined 1-7 (0-2 this year) against those teams in the Frost era, allowing explosive plays left and right

Reactions: EastOregonHusker
This. Good defenses get off the field and good offenses convert third downs. Time of possession is a result of being a good team.
There's a clear correlation there. The question is, does Frost's offense rely too much on big plays which are lower probability, resulting in more 3 and outs and more time on the field for the defense? Much of the big ten relies on ball control and oftentimes lower scoring games.

What makes us think we are the outlier that can fundamentally change the style of football in the conference successfully? Zero evidence so far.

Reactions: bshirt73
There's a clear correlation there. The question is, does Frost's offense rely too much on big plays which are lower probability, resulting in more 3 and outs and more time on the field for the defense? Much of the big ten relies on ball control and oftentimes lower scoring games.

What makes us think we are the outlier that can fundamentally change the style of football in the conference successfully? Zero evidence so far.
the whole 'big plays negatively impact TOP' thing is way overblown. explosive plays rarely occur on the first/second play of any drive, and even the most explosive offenses average less than 1 40-yd+ touchdown/game.

it's a composite metric for ball control, and as another poster said, it has a lot to do with defense, converting on 3rd down and game script (winning teams have higher TOP since they're often running the ball with the game in hand late).

then, there are teams that point to TOP as a way to strategically gain an advantage (Army, wisc, etc.) by either never passing or intentionally operating at a snail's pace.

And
Frost runs a quick strike offense and defense meant to prioritize the number of possessions over that of time of possession.

I don't like the scheme either, but it's 180 degrees different than the way we used to do it here.

Frost runs a quick strike offense and defense meant to prioritize the number of possessions over that of time of possession.

I don't like the scheme either, but it's 180 degrees different than the way we used to do it here.

Therefore a 180 degrees different result in the Win/Loss column...........

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I will admit that I didn't like getting rid of the FB position years ago or lack of emphasis. I was called old fashioned, stuck in the past etc etc.

I got over it expecting something in return. What did we really gain by eliminating the FB. Many times we could have used an extra blocker. An extra receiver has paid dividends. Right??

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I will admit that I didn't like getting rid of the FB position years ago or lack of emphasis. I was called old fashioned, stuck in the past etc etc.

I got over it expecting something in return. What did we really gain by eliminating the FB. Many times we could have used an extra blocker. An extra receiver has paid dividends. Right??
At least we ran the ball well the last game and maybe Frost has seen the light about how to win in this conference

You need a spread run game with an NFL passing game to attract the big time QBs

The big time QBs attract other big time recruits

The old Urban Meyer/Chip Kelly system is dead

Urban Meyer and Chip Kelly stopped using that system

So should Frost

And
I agree the we should bolster our run game especially because we play in a cold weather and windy state. I would incorporate the TO option game, with the QB under center, for about 30-40 % of the time. We have 3 QBs that could be very effective in that type of option so why not take advantage of them. We saw this unfold for a short time in the 2019 game vs tOSU. The first two plays worked quite well. The third play resulted in an interception on a high pass. Had we completed that pass, I think we would have used it more that game and maybe in other games.
I think we also saw it on one of the TDs Wan'dale scored in the Rutgers game this year.

I also think our basketball team will have more success in the Big 10 if we make more shots than the other team and score more points. If they do those 2 things that team could be pretty dangerous.

Only if they come from a 7 ft oaf, right by the basket. It is very important to try to be just like everyone else and beat them at their own game.

Are we terrible in basketball or are our opponents just really f-ing good? It seems in the past we had athletes who were marginal ballers or ballers who weren't athletes. The current players have a lot of skills and athleticism but need to come together as a team. Trying to do that in a meat grinder makes it really tough.

I may be deluded but I like the team, wish they were winning and need to improve but we look like a team that can compete. Just have to put it together.

Well in theory that extra receiver is also able to block and keep that DB out on the edge instead of in the box. You spread the field and hopefully allowing more room for your playmakers to operate. Again, our offense works IF our QBs take care of the ball and we keep from committing penalties. That's what has been the toe stubber for us this year. Turnovers, penalties and a handful of really bad special teams plays. I think we had enough talent to win more than we did. We need to figure out a way to get away with holding like other B1G teams do.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Are we terrible in basketball or are our opponents just really f-ing good? It seems in the past we had athletes who were marginal ballers or ballers who weren't athletes. The current players have a lot of skills and athleticism but need to come together as a team. Trying to do that in a meat grinder makes it really tough.

I may be deluded but I like the team, wish they were winning and need to improve but we look like a team that can compete. Just have to put it together.
I still don't think Fred has enough of the right kind of guys. Out of necessity that first year he took a few transfers that were kind of castoffs and probably won't be very good B1G players. I expect some of them will leave after this year. Hopefully the McGowens can do some peer recruiting and help bring in some similar talent to theirs. Need some dudes yet. Put 2-3 more really good players with Banton and McGowens and we'll have something. The freshman big guy I think will develop in to a nice player. Need a couple more guys to be competitive IMO.

Well in theory that extra receiver is also able to block and keep that DB out on the edge instead of in the box. You spread the field and hopefully allowing more room for your playmakers to operate. Again, our offense works IF our QBs take care of the ball and we keep from committing penalties. That's what has been the toe stubber for us this year. Turnovers, penalties and a handful of really bad special teams plays. I think we had enough talent to win more than we did. We need to figure out a way to get away with holding like other B1G teams do.
Yes on the edge and in theory. I haven't seen a whole lot of old school downfield blocking. Plus seems like we still need ALL the help we can get from the te to te when it comes to making a block. Plus when inside the 5 we still can't/won't run power football.

Just seems like we've given up on a position but haven't replaced/offset it. Seems like the opportunity cost has been quite high to date

Correct. We don’t score much anyway. Wouldn’t it be better to limit the time the opponent has the ball?

Sorry Is there a rule that I don’t know of?
tenor.gif

Only if they come from a 7 ft oaf, right by the basket. It is very important to try to be just like everyone else and beat them at their own game.
The 7 ft oafs are for defense and rim protection. And they can usually be quite effective. Much more than a 6'7 or 6'8 center trying to do the same thing.

Athleticism in basketball isn't that important. Shooting and basketball skills are usually much more important.

• Haha
Reactions: EastOregonHusker
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT