ADVERTISEMENT

Strike three - and you’re out!

blackshirts25

Walk On
Dec 10, 2004
Like most of the board I have wanted and wished for better results as I cheer on a team that I will continue to cheer on until I kick the proverbial bucket. The Nebraska Cornhusker Football Team means a great deal to myself and my family, like many of you and yours.

With that being said, when we got what felt and may still be the lottery in hiring Frost when we did, if at that exact moment it was said it was going to be rough for a few (e.g., 3) or even more (e.g., 4) years, I would have said absolutely sign us up, we will rise.

Why? Because Pelini was a good coach, but a total asshole to our fan base, at least towards the last few years of his tenure. Why? Because Mike Riley was a fish out of an Oregonian water who I think gave an honest shot at restoring this program, but was in way over his head.

So I post to ask:

Why is this board turning on Frost in Year 3 considering where we’ve been the last 18 years? I haven’t brought up Frank or Callahan in this, but it was that long ago for perspective. And it being that long ago with too many valleys and not enough peaks, that some want to now throw away a man who has given and is continuing to try and give so much to this state and football program, that seems absolutely insane to me.

I’m in for the the longest of hauls as I’ve always been. And if today you again asked me who should be running it, I’d still say Frost.

Rant /

Last edited:
Really appreciate your perspective. I am also with Frost for the long haul if for no other reason than I don't think coach churn is going to make us better. But there is a reality that we may have to face at some point. Great players don't want to play for bad teams, and if we can't start winning soon, our recruiting classes are going to suffer. When we see that happening, we have no choice but to get a new coach, to inject some new energy into the program and sell it to high schoolers.

Why I've lost hope:

- No progress in 3 years. Well, defense has gone from horrible to bad so there's progress there.
- Offense is horrid.
- Play calling is bad. Always trying to get cute rather than doing the fundamentals that win games (like running the damn ball).
- Very undisciplined. You can count on our DBs to get ejected or our linemen to hold people late in the game when they are gassed.
- Mentally weak. Every game I can pin point the exact moment when I know they are going to break, and they do.
- Rarely prepared (Getting boat raced by a bad Illinois squad in Lincoln)
- Haven't had a signature win in 3 years.
- Can't get momentum ( Couldn't even beat a Covid plagued Minnesota team at home)
- Always excuses (coaches clapping, TV timeouts, etc.)
- Huge roster turnover. Have had some attrition issues.

I will always love my team but yesterday was the nail in the coffin for me for this staff. These guys are so in over their head. We have the worst staff in the B10 and this Friday's game is an indication of that. I will be 99% surprised if this is the regime that will turn this mess around.

Appreciate the perspective, and agree that coach churn is a bad deal. We really need stability at the helm. Just hope it comes around before too many folks give up. Myself included.

I'm signed up too. While frustrated, we are not getting embarrassed weekly anymore and are a handful of plays and bad luck away from having very respectable records & seasons.

I'm signed up too. While frustrated, we are not getting embarrassed weekly anymore and are a handful of plays and bad luck away from having very respectable records & seasons.

I have no choice to be in it for the long haul, but losing a close game at home to a team with about half their players out and getting curb stomped by Illinois is just as embarrassing to me as getting blown out by Ohio St or Michigan. jmo

I have no choice to be in it for the long haul, but losing a close game at home to a team with about half their players out and getting curb stomped by Illinois is just as embarrassing to me as getting blown out by Ohio St or Michigan. jmo

Exactly. Those two loses are just as embarrasing. I've been watching football for 30 years and what we had was NOT a complete rebuild. We had some talent here but this staff ran a lot of it off, so we've created this rebuild. Why is it that Colorado, North Carolina, Indiana, can have signature wins or at least beat those that they should but yet we are throwing parades for beating Purdue in year 3?

Why I've lost hope:

- No progress in 3 years. Well, defense has gone from horrible to bad so there's progress there.
- Offense is horrid.
- Play calling is bad. Always trying to get cute rather than doing the fundamentals that win games (like running the damn ball).
- Very undisciplined. You can count on our DBs to get ejected or our linemen to hold people late in the game when they are gassed.
- Mentally weak. Every game I can pin point the exact moment when I know they are going to break, and they do.
- Rarely prepared (Getting boat raced by a bad Illinois squad in Lincoln)
- Haven't had a signature win in 3 years.
- Can't get momentum ( Couldn't even beat a Covid plagued Minnesota team at home)
- Always excuses (coaches clapping, TV timeouts, etc.)
- Huge roster turnover. Have had some attrition issues.

I will always love my team but yesterday was the nail in the coffin for me for this staff. These guys are so in over their head. We have the worst staff in the B10 and this Friday's game is an indication of that. I will be 99% surprised if this is the regime that will turn this mess around.

No progress. Bad play calling. Undisciplined. Those are enough. It's year 3. Frost needs to square this ship away.

Like most of the board I have wanted and wished for better results as I cheer on a team that I will continue to cheer on until I kick the proverbial bucket. The Nebraska Cornhusker Football Team means a great deal to myself and my family, like many of you and yours.

With that being said, when we got what felt and may still be the lottery in hiring Frost when we did, if at that exact moment it was said it was going to be rough for a few (e.g., 3) or even more (e.g., 4) years, I would have said absolutely sign us up, we will rise.

Why? Because Pelini was a good coach, but a total asshole to our fan base, at least towards the last few years of his tenure. Why? Because Mike Riley was a fish out of an Oregonian water who I think gave an honest shot at restoring this program, but was in way over his head.

So I post to ask:

Why is this board turning on Frost in Year 3 considering where we’ve been the last 18 years? I haven’t brought up Frank or Callahan in this, but it was that long ago for perspective. And it being that long ago with too many valleys and not enough peaks, that some want to now throw away a man who has given and is continuing to try and give so much to this state and football program, that seems absolutely insane to me.

I’m in for the the longest of hauls as I’ve always been. And if today you again asked me who should be running it, I’d still say Frost.

Rant /
Like you said, Frost has gotten fresh chances every season, and he blows every chance he gets. How many more chances are we going to give him before we figure out he can't get it done and it's likely never going to happen?

The reason I'm turning on him is it becomes apparent with each game the aptitude to be a successful head coach is just not there. Everyone who loves football second guesses his or her coach often as far as going for it on fourth, down and distance decisions, the recruiting class being ranked too low, letting the players wear different colored shoes.....blah, blah, blah....those kinds of things. But this is different. The things we freak out about every week are the inability to execute basic football skills such as blocking, tackling, snapping, completing forward passes, covering kicks and punts, fielding kicks and punts, keeping penalties in check, managing the clock, effectively, scouting the opponent to find weaknesses, in game and halftime adjustments, and devising offensive and defensive game plans designed for the talent on hand while using the best players. As Mike Riley was fond of saying, this doesn't look like football.

In one or two posts every week I bemoan that our local high school team plays what looks like football and Nebraska doesn't. The high school kids make mistakes sure, but they play the basic game of football, which NU doesn't.

I harbor no hard feelings against Scott Frost, seems like a great guy, loves his kids, makes them go to class and graduates them, bleeds Husker scarlet, is a good community guy, is a good family man, etc. His only deficiency is he can't run a football team. And like the other threads about quarterbacks not being able to learn accuracy, they either have it or they don't, I'm not sure Scott can learn to be a better head coach. He just might not have "it".

So I post to ask:

Rant /

I too want Frost to succeed, but lets be honest he has to become a better coach. Why that stupid backwards pass play to start the game last Saturday after it failed so miserably the time before they tried it to start a previous game? (Because the offense ran it so well in Practice?). Maybe run that play with a lead and on the other side of the 50. Then when Adrian got hurt last Saturday Luke went in to run the offense on 2nd and 3rd downs. I think everyone on this Board knows Luke is a better runner than passer. What plays do the Huskers run on those two downs? Pass plays. Have you noticed the closer the Huskers get to the Red Zone the longer it takes to get the play into Adrian? Doing these things shows me a lack of experience as a head coach. All schools are losing players, but Nebraska has made it into an art. Watching Gebbia at Oregon State for example proves to me that Frost should have tried harder to keep some of these players. (People on this Board will write that these players were never any good. All of them?). Another thing that bothers me. There are too many Huskers who are better talking trash than playing the game. Sometimes I feel like flying to Lincoln, barging my way to the field and yelling "Shut the F... Up!! Win some games and then you can talk". (I know I am 65 and out-of-touch with 19 year-olds). When you win and are on top of the coaching world you can be tough as nails with your players. Ever watch Nick? He doesn't care who the player is. He will pull a player out of a game and then bark at them as they are walking to the bench. With the Huskers over the last 20 years there seems to be no accountability. Block a person in the back on a punt return and you still get to run out onto the field on the next punt. No big deal. The National perspective of the Huskers has become a team of bad, dumb players and coaches. (We fans haven't been spared either. Trust me) The Huskers are so bad that living here in Washington it has gone from jealousy, resentment and thinking the Huskers are always over-rated to pity and feeling sorry for me. I got a text every Saturday morning on gamedays the past couple of months from my ski gang, mostly Cougars, hoping my Huskers win the game. Brother! Then critics add that the Huskers and their fans are always complaining about something. That starts with Scott. (I would say to him if he asked me for advise, "Get some help. Get the very best help that you can get.")

I don't think he cares, but "God help us".

How many successful coaches struggle for three years and then the light bulb comes on in year four? Probably could count them on one hand.

I have a lot of respect for Frost the player and what he did here.

He came in and stunk the place up his junior year, and then turned it around in his senior year.

I always remembered that and still respect him for that.

I don't actually like the guy though. I don't think he put himself out there like Bo did. I like Bo a heck of a lot more than Scott. But this isn't about Bo.. or turning on Scott. but from a personality view, Scott has done nothing to earn any brownie points with the fans.

If I were to guess.. something about coaching here, especially since he played here, and with Tom watching and all.. something about all that, makes Scott not see things clearly.

I think if he coached at any other program, he would be fine.

How does he fix this? hard for me to say.

I do know this, the more you hold Scott accountable, the better. Just like when he was a qb.. he does his best job when under pressure.

Giving him a free reign with no pressure for 3 years, has yielded squat.

If I were the AD, I'd be turning the screws on him hard. And I'd back the fans who did the same.

He's either got to figure this out, or he has to go.

I have a lot of respect for Frost the player and what he did here.

He came in and stunk the place up his junior year, and then turned it around in his senior year.

I always remembered that and still respect him for that.

I don't actually like the guy though. I don't think he put himself out there like Bo did. I like Bo a heck of a lot more than Scott. But this isn't about Bo.. or turning on Scott. but from a personality view, Scott has done nothing to earn any brownie points with the fans.

If I were to guess.. something about coaching here, especially since he played here, and with Tom watching and all.. something about all that, makes Scott not see things clearly.

I think if he coached at any other program, he would be fine.

How does he fix this? hard for me to say.

I do know this, the more you hold Scott accountable, the better. Just like when he was a qb.. he does his best job when under pressure.

Giving him a free reign with no pressure for 3 years, has yielded squat.

If I were the AD, I'd be turning the screws on him hard. And I'd back the fans who did the same.

He's either got to figure this out, or he has to go.

I agree. Start holding his feet to the fire.

You're right, being embarrassed bi-weekly is much better. Gollie, if we could catch a break just once, we'd be so much better!

Your talk is the talk of losers

Very good conversation about a very sensitive issue. I was all in for hiring Scott, knowing 1) he had limited head coaching experience and 2) concern with bringing his whole staff of assistants with him while having basically a blank check to make this work!
Iam still hopeful he can pull a rabbit out of his hat and at least make a bowl in year 4. BUT I’am also a realist. I have had season tickets since a freshman at UNL 41 years ago, played and watched enough football to know after 3 years we are serious trouble. We are on the bottom of the conference for the first time in my lifetime.
Butch Cassidy’s thread with research on 25 years of failed B1G coaches shows Scott’s winning % is 4th lowest after 3 years. The numbers show that year 4 is make or break for coaching college football. They either drastically improved or were relieved of duties due to more losses than wins.

This really brought me out of the denial I have been in after our 2 wins. I like many others have grown tired of excuses.
There Is enough talent on the roster to at least play an Illinois team that fired their coach close and beat a COVID effected Minnesota team at home after gaining some momentum.

Good post and discussion..And a lot of peoples opinions I’m agreeing with and are valid points..

I think we have some assistant coach’s that are way over their head coaching in a power 5 conference and I don’t need to mention them..Frost himself looks lost trying to figure out the next play and is always out thinking himself trying to be cute with swing passes..Player development goes along the line of having bad assistance coaching seen very few players better after 3 years..

I’m all for giving him more time but he is going to have to make some tough decisions on making staff changes to improve our play on the field..

The last 3 year period that was worse than now was 1957-1959 Nebraska was 8-22. Anything worse was in the 1940”s when from 1942- 1944 Nebraska went 7-19 and 1946-1948 went 7-21..

This is the sign that concerns me SF is 11-20 with a game remaining and we’re not getting any better moving forward in toward the future..

Last edited:
Reactions: CatColumbia

So I post to ask:

Rant /
I do not disagree with anything posted here, and I too am baffled by the way this team is going. Scott Frost grew up with hard-nosed football. I truly thought he would be licking his chops to pound Mills 30 times between the tackles against the Goofers. A friend who played with him in the mid-90s is already off the Scott train due to the whining about Iowa's clapping (complaining about sideline clapping? Is that some kind of joke?).

But I really want to see Frost succeed. I met him at a meeting in 2013 in Texas. During the first break, the attendees were introducing ourselves to each other. When I mentioned to him that I am from Nebraska, he dropped everything, pulled me off to the side, and started asking me a bunch of questions -- what town are you from? Where'd you go to high school? Do you get home much? On and on. He was so sincere, genuinely interested -- he actually wanted to know about me. I have been in the situation of meeting "big shots" previously, and quite often they give you a phony drive-by "great to see you" as they glide past and never break stride. I loved Frost's toughness as a player (remember that block against A&M?) and I became a fan of Frost the coach that day in Texas. He wanted to know all about me. I laughed when he said that he sneaks back to Lincoln whenever he can because "my parents are keeping my dog."

We talked out in the hall so long that we were late returning to the meeting. About the last thing he asked me was if I hoped to get back to living in Nebraska some day. When I replied in the affirmative, he gave a little grin and said "me too." I knew what he meant, and ever since that day I have looked so forward to him becoming head coach at NU. Some have pointed out that Frost seems to get more leash because he's a grad. I agree, but I don't see that as a negative -- the guy wants to be in Lincoln, and not just because of a paycheck (See Callahan, Bill; Pelini, Bo; and Riley, Mike). There is something to be said for a guy who wants to be in Lincoln because he loves it. While I am really concerned about so many aspects of the program right now, I refuse to give up on this coaching staff yet. I guess we'll see how it goes, but this 65-year old fan since 1966 will be seriously disappointed if the Frost tenure does not work out.

Good post and discussion..And a lot of peoples opinions I’m agreeing with and are valid points..

I think we have some assistant coach’s that are way over their head coaching in a power 5 conference and I don’t need to mention them..Frost himself looks lost trying to figure out the next play and is always out thinking himself trying to be cute with swing passes..Player development goes along the line of having bad assistance coaching seen very few players better after 3 years..

I’m all for giving him more time but he is going to have to make some tough decisions on making staff changes to improve our play on the field..

The last 3 year period that was worse than now was 1957-1959 Nebraska was 8-22. Anything worse was in the 1940”s when from 1942- 1944 Nebraska went 7-19 and 1946-1948 went 7-21..

This is the sign that concerns me SF is 11-20 with a game remaining and we’re not getting any better moving forward in toward the future..
I'm on the fence about whether the assistants are "bad" (except for Verduzco) or whether Scott doesn't hold them accountable. Maybe if he held THEM accountable the assistants would hold their players accountable. Fisher undoubtedly knows the defensive back position, he played how many years in the league? How about the next time one of the safeties launches himself at a ball carrier like a missile and misses the tackle of gets a targeting Frost lights up Fisher? That player behavior might stop in short order.

Just thinking out loud here...

I do not disagree with anything posted here, and I too am baffled by the way this team is going. Scott Frost grew up with hard-nosed football. I truly thought he would be licking his chops to pound Mills 30 times between the tackles against the Goofers. A friend who played with him in the mid-90s is already off the Scott train due to the whining about Iowa's clapping (complaining about sideline clapping? Is that some kind of joke?).

But I really want to see Frost succeed. I met him at a meeting in 2013 in Texas. During the first break, the attendees were introducing ourselves to each other. When I mentioned to him that I am from Nebraska, he dropped everything, pulled me off to the side, and started asking me a bunch of questions -- what town are you from? Where'd you go to high school? Do you get home much? On and on. He was so sincere, genuinely interested -- he actually wanted to know about me. I have been in the situation of meeting "big shots" previously, and quite often they give you a phony drive-by "great to see you" as they glide past and never break stride. I loved Frost's toughness as a player (remember that block against A&M?) and I became a fan of Frost the coach that day in Texas. He wanted to know all about me. I laughed when he said that he sneaks back to Lincoln whenever he can because "my parents are keeping my dog."

We talked out in the hall so long that we were late returning to the meeting. About the last thing he asked me was if I hoped to get back to living in Nebraska some day. When I replied in the affirmative, he gave a little grin and said "me too." I knew what he meant, and ever since that day I have looked so forward to him becoming head coach at NU. Some have pointed out that Frost seems to get more leash because he's a grad. I agree, but I don't see that as a negative -- the guy wants to be in Lincoln, and not just because of a paycheck (See Callahan, Bill; Pelini, Bo; and Riley, Mike). There is something to be said for a guy who wants to be in Lincoln because he loves it. While I am really concerned about so many aspects of the program right now, I refuse to give up on this coaching staff yet. I guess we'll see how it goes, but this 65-year old fan since 1966 will be seriously disappointed if the Frost tenure does not work out.
Great post

I'm on the fence about whether the assistants are "bad" (except for Verduzco) or whether Scott doesn't hold them accountable. Maybe if he held THEM accountable the assistants would hold their players accountable. Fisher undoubtedly knows the defensive back position, he played how many years in the league? How about the next time one of the safeties launches himself at a ball carrier like a missile and misses the tackle of gets a targeting Frost lights up Fisher? That player behavior might stop in short order.

Just thinking out loud here...

I think Austin is gone.

Great story. I like Scott as a person and I know he wants to win badly here. I really want him to succeed because he does a lot of things behind the scenes that are good. Trust me I don’t want to look for new head coaches. But 11-20 and zero improvement is not cutting it.

Cedric, Good post.. I truly believe there isn’t one of us hard core fans that want Frost to fail and the majority of us three years ago thought he was going to be our Messiah returning our program to championship caliber football..

I’m not giving up on him I’m just questioning if he is the one that can turn this program around and it hasn’t been improving since we hired him..

Reactions: CatColumbia

It's kind of the same thing Sirles ended his rant in the postgame radio show on Saturday. Yeah I'm pissed about this game but I still believe Frost is the right guy for this job. He isn't going anywhere and he's going to have people in his ear influencing him to make changes that need to be made. He'll get there but obviously this is taking longer than we wanted.

I still stick by my assertion right now that the only thing keeping us from winning is having THAT GUY at QB. AM does some really nice things but when you're so deficient in one area of your game it just kills you. He's put up some stats with short passes but when you can't hit a wide open guy on a 15 yarder across the middle or on a deep ball at the end of the half, you've got issues. I would bet I've seen 7-10 times over these past 2 years where he had a WIDE open guy streaking down the field behind the entire defense and he's overthrown them by 5 yards.

Why do NFL teams draft QBs #1? Why do NFL teams pay QBs more than any other position on their team? The number one factor in Ws and Ls in your QB play. Granted you better have an O line in front of him but AM has shown that even when he isn't hurried that he can't consistently throw accurately.

Great story. I like Scott as a person and I know he wants to win badly here. I really want him to succeed because he does a lot of things behind the scenes that are good. Trust me I don’t want to look for new head coaches. But 11-20 and zero improvement is not cutting it.
He'll get it done. He works too hard and cares too much to fail. Eventually, if we stick behind him he'll succeed here. Personally I think we'll at least be bowl eligible next year. I thought it would be this year but I still believe with all of the young guys we have, not having spring ball, summer player led workouts and a normal fall camp really screwed us. JMO. I'm a long hauler. I won't want him fired if he doesn't go bowling next fall. Tired of the turnover. I want a guy whose heart is at NU and will work his ass off to try to make it work. We tried the other guys for 2 decades and it didn't work.

He's talking about individual development of young guys. Freshman and sophomore O linemen, linebackers, WRs, RBs and DBs. Add in some young D linemen who have played a bunch. You can spin it any way you like, but the ONE thing I like is some of the talent and plays made by underclassmen guys from his last 2 classes. IMO, the most talented guys on this roster are underclassmen. Hopefully that includes Smothers.

You really are the master of pulling quotes and making them a negative weapon.

Reactions: HuskerO

So I post to ask:

Rant /

Funny how the goal post is moved for the Golden Boy. If Frost had not played at Nebraska he would be out the door after the Rutgers game.

The losses suck. But it’s not all about that. It’s how we luck during those losses, how Frost...who was hired for his “cutting edge” offense seemingly has not idea what he’s doing as a player caller or developer. It’s about how undisciplined his teams are. It’s about how he loses recruits left and right.

If there wasn’t progress at all perhaps the future would like brighter. But, recruiting is just going to become infinitely harder for a staff who is not great on that front to begin with. Maybe firing some buddies will breath some life in to the program but there is nothing to believe that Frost has the brains to even get this program to a bowl game

Funny how the goal post is moved for the Golden Boy. If Frost had not played at Nebraska he would be out the door after the Rutgers game.

The losses suck. But it’s not all about that. It’s how we luck during those losses, how Frost...who was hired for his “cutting edge” offense seemingly has not idea what he’s doing as a player caller or developer. It’s about how undisciplined his teams are. It’s about how he loses recruits left and right.

If there wasn’t progress at all perhaps the future would like brighter. But, recruiting is just going to become infinitely harder for a staff who is not great on that front to begin with. Maybe firing some buddies will breath some life in to the program but there is nothing to believe that Frost has the brains to even get this program to a bowl game

Man, Frost **** your girlfriend back in the day?

He's talking about individual development of young guys. Freshman and sophomore O linemen, linebackers, WRs, RBs and DBs. Add in some young D linemen who have played a bunch. You can spin it any way you like, but the ONE thing I like is some of the talent and plays made by underclassmen guys from his last 2 classes. IMO, the most talented guys on this roster are underclassmen. Hopefully that includes Smothers.

You really are the master of pulling quotes and making them a negative weapon.

compare and contrast

He'll get it done. He works too hard and cares too much to fail. Eventually, if we stick behind him he'll succeed here. Personally I think we'll at least be bowl eligible next year. I thought it would be this year but I still believe with all of the young guys we have, not having spring ball, summer player led workouts and a normal fall camp really screwed us. JMO. I'm a long hauler. I won't want him fired if he doesn't go bowling next fall. Tired of the turnover. I want a guy whose heart is at NU and will work his ass off to try to make it work. We tried the other guys for 2 decades and it didn't work.

I fear your bowl eligibility remark will fall along the lines of your thoughts weeks ago on Lovie Smith not being on the hot seat.

Frost will be lucky to win 4 games next year. I predict we will see some unfortunate transfers. The offense will still be disaster. And, the defense even though mediocre now...will take a step back after losing almost all of the leading tacklers.

ADVERTISEMENT