ADVERTISEMENT

Strength results

Funny thing is even with those numbers Sims was 4th string RB? L.P, Ahman, Damon B, C. Childs. So much talent back then. Curtis Cotton also holds record for the DBs.
5th string, lol. And it seemed like every time he touched the ball it ended up in an 80 yard TD run. We had 4 guys that probably would have started at 90% of teams that year, and Sims would have been an easy 2nd string guy basically everywhere. Pretty crazy to think that much talent could be in one unit in a single year.

5th string, lol. And it seemed like every time he touched the ball it ended up in an 80 yard TD run. We had 4 guys that probably would have started at 90% of teams that year, and Sims would have been an easy 2nd string guy basically everywhere. Pretty crazy to think that much talent could be in one unit in a single year.
I was at game at Memorial Stadium in 95 when we destroyed ASU. All the backs went off that day sans L.P. Like 700 yards rushing and 77 points. Against Saban and MSU the week before all the backs had a field day as well. If memory serves after MSU was when LP got into trouble and suspended.

Last edited:
Curtis Cotton was a freak of nature. Strength index was crazy. Had the top squat on the entire team as a CB.
Curtis still looks like he could play safety right now. I remember when his kids were running track, he commented that he didn't care if they never played football. He said he went his entire college/pro career without getting injured very bad and he still feels it every morning when he gets out of bed.

I was at game at Memorial Stadium in 95 when we destroyed ASU. All the backs went off that day sans L.P. Like 700 yards rushing and 77 points. Against Saban and MSU the week before all the backs had a field day as well. If memory serves after MSU was when LP got into trouble and suspended.

Yep. Was at that game with my grandpa. Clinton Childs tooks the first play like 80 yards. Finished the game with Turman laying one in for a TD. 63-14 at half I think.

Still can't beat Jay Sims record. It's likely that nobody ever will.

So he lived on my floor my freshmen year. Dude was built in a lab. But like a total mystery. No one knew how old he was, no one knew what HS he went to, we just knew he sucked at video games and loved to hang out in our room.

• Haha
Reactions: cubsker
Deontai Williams set the all time shuttle record, Liewer appears to now have the second best time.
Cam Jurgens now has the top Index score for an offensive lineman.
Oliver Martin had a 40 in vertical jump, best on the team.
Seeing Kolarevic really nail a performance was a nice surprise. 1-AA kid showing up.
There's plenty of athleticism on the team. Now they need to show it on the field.

Funny thing is even with those numbers Sims was 4th string RB? L.P, Ahman, Damon B, C. Childs. So much talent back then. Curtis Cotton also holds record for the DBs.
more like 5th string

We all know that every height and weight listed anywhere is embellished. Why would we believe any of these numbers?
Height, sure. Weight, no. They all looks pretty much right on the dot of what they're listed.

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
So he lived on my floor my freshmen year. Dude was built in a lab. But like a total mystery. No one knew how old he was, no one knew what HS he went to, we just knew he sucked at video games and loved to hang out in our room.
Lol, yeah he was like 26 or 27 years old as a senior.

Lol, yeah he was like 26 or 27 years old as a senior.

It was like a total mystery. He was the scout team players of the week and got a trophy, he would bring it with him to our room and show us it.

He was super nice and a blast to hang out with. He never drank but one night got a little buzz going and he. must have asked up 100 times if we could tell if he was drunk or not.

We all know that every height and weight listed anywhere is embellished. Why would we believe any of these numbers?
I ran into a former Husker RB not that long ago, he's on an NFL roster right now. His team lists him at 6'0" 220. I'd have estimated him at about 5'10" 205ish. Every single team at every level embellishes these numbers.

The performance index is something that has evolved a little over time. It's been tweaked over the years so I am not going to get too carried away with comparing to years gone bye. Personally I would rather see the actual numbers. Not a fan of performance index. If that's all they release I will be more than disappointed.

I ran into a former Husker RB not that long ago, he's on an NFL roster right now. His team lists him at 6'0" 220. I'd have estimated him at about 5'10" 205ish. Every single team at every level embellishes these numbers.
Last place I coached, in the locker room was a sign: DO NOT LIE ABOUT YOUR HEIGHT AND WEIGHT ON THE PROGRAM

hahaha

The performance index is something that has evolved a little over time. It's been tweaked over the years so I am not going to get too carried away with comparing to years gone bye. Personally I would rather see the actual numbers. Not a fan of performance index. If that's all they release I will be more than disappointed.

I would be willing to bet that the Husker could charge 4.99 for a "off season pass" that basically just lets you watch a video feed of the guys lifting.

Would like to have seen numbers Suh would have posted, also, strength numbers are like a hunting dogs or horses pedigree, gives you a foundation for success but is never a guarantee. In our current teams culture I’d like to see more size in the fight of the dog vs size of the dog In the fight. We could use more guys like Rex, Kenny, Stanley, ziggy just to name a few recent players

Broadly it's a step in a good direction that we see 2 things:

1) The numbers are in a place where they're not embarrassed to release them any more
2) Some guys who play are up there in terms of the numbers

Take it all with a grain of salt. Some of the best all-time scores are from guys who never started let alone turned into All-Americans.

The take-away should be much less about the 5 names that topped that list. That's an INTERNAL motivator for the team to want their name on that list next time around. In terms of "will this team be any better" it's the fact that the whole team improved at that the average is coming up that matters.

When this staff got here they had a lot of guys on the roster who really had no business being on a P5 college football team in terms of their athleticism + their strength & conditioning. They're getting that obstacle removed.

Now they need to fix their greater ailment which is that they've had a lot of guys whose brains don't operate like they have any business being a P5 college football player. In a way they've officially given the death notice of that particular excuse.

Some. Crouch was listed at 6'1 in college. Pro day he shrunk. Actually a little over 5'11 I think. Frost is 6'3. Met him at bar in his college days. I'm 6'0. He was definitely. 6'3 standing beside him.

I guess these are the strength leaders out of winter conditioning. The kid from Northern Iowa is going to be a factor at LB.

Appreciate the post

I would assume the numbers on that visual is straight from testing and not self reported and thus accurate.

Jurgens numbers are interesting to me. The strength part is probably not surprising but assuming he is truly at 290 that is a great sign that he has been able to gain weight in his first really healthy offseason. From what i heard that would represent a 20 lbs increase from his RS Freshman year and no reason couldn't gain another 5 or so by fall and truly be able to hold up against the better Big 10 interior DL while still possessing the athleticism to get to second level.

Would also be interesting to see what sort of gains Corcoran and Piper have also had with strength and weight from last year as I think that outside of special teams coverage and return units the way those three perform together on left side may have second biggest impact on W/L record for 21.

Jay Sims was our 5th string guy, still finished his career with 98 rushes for 683 yards and eight scores. That's better than a lot of our recent starters. Unbelievable how we would just plug such good players in and out and how great our lines were.

Reactions: HuskerO
Jay Sims was our 5th string guy, still finished his career with 98 rushes for 683 yards and eight scores. That's better than a lot of our recent starters. Unbelievable how we would just plug such good players in and out and how great our lines were.
The offense was tailor made to feed the stat line of the I-back, the Olines ranged from stellar to GOAT status, and that meant plenty of good backs wanted to be part of it. The backs currently on the roster would also be successful running the ball behind those lines.

The offense was tailor made to feed the stat line of the I-back, the Olines ranged from stellar to GOAT status, and that meant plenty of good backs wanted to be part of it. The backs currently on the roster would also be successful running the ball behind those lines.
That's true. Would have loved to see someone like Abdullah with a really good line like that.

I also think if Jay Sims walked into the RB room right now... he might be our best guy? Is that crazy?

That's true. Would have loved to see someone like Abdullah with a really good line like that.

I also think if Jay Sims walked into the RB room right now... he might be our best guy? Is that crazy?
not at all crazy.

a backup at USC who played parts of 2 injury-riddled seasons just walked into the RB room and people are saying he's by far our best guy.

Stepp is insurance and if he remains healthy, he'll be a big load for opposing Ds to deal with. Out of the others, I think a couple will emerge as more than capable options and my money is on Morrison, followed by Scott.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
There's no way Burkhead, Marlon Lucky or even Turner Gill were as big as they were listed at when they played. I've stood next to all of them for various reasons while they were they playing or the year after they played. The only guys I knew back in college who were actually as big as they were listed were O linemen.

I was there. Hotter than HELL, and NU had over 400 yards rushing in the first HALF. That was the game ASU coach Bruce (something) shouted something at Osborne as they approached midfield after the game.

I was there. Hotter than HELL, and NU had over 400 yards rushing in the first HALF. That was the game ASU coach Bruce (something) shouted something at Osborne as they approached midfield after the game.
Ya. He was pissed our 3rd or 4th string QB audibled into a TD pass to Lance Brown in 4th Qtr. If you can't stop 3rd and 4th string. Tough shit. Lol

Last edited:
Snyder. Oddly he didn't apologize for calling the blitz that led to us having a wide open receiver. When you're down 70-28 with a minute left, just line up and get the game over with. If you're going to play strategy at that point, how can you blame the other team for responding?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT