ADVERTISEMENT

Stop Asking For Coaching Changes

So just to dredge up some old wounds, but where are all those posters saying that the fan base would give HCSF more slack and leeway since he is a Husker and a native back when we hired him? Had some cold water dashed on that thought after CU? You shouldn't though, this is the same people that booed frost as a player. If we perform this poorly next week, you will hear booing from the stands and people really will be calling for heads.

At any rate, it is silly to talk about changes in staff at this point. We needs 3+ years to fix this. Our line and core players behind the starters (as well as some of the starters) are just not good enough. No amount of weight rooms and pep talks is going to fix that. You can't coach heart and this team just doesn't have it. You have to have some player leadership on this team and we simple don't have it.

These coaches need to learn just like the rest of the team does. Criticizing the coaching and calling out that they are partially responsible for what we saw on the field is a perfectly valid exercise. It doesn't mean I want them fired, I just want them to learn and grow.

Reactions: aNUstart
...and what about the S&C program? W

True. It seems S&C is the most over-hyped aspect of our program...year after year...with nothing to show for it. Where is the work ethic that we all talk about?

Yet another good question from you sir. "Everybody" always claims our S &C is at full tilt boogie......but comes game time and we get run over like a Mercades Benz over a paper-clip. I too, just don't get it.

I agree with you on juco linemen because the juco skilled players have basically taken a scholarship haven’t got anything out of Williams,Woodyard, bell supposed to be top ranked running back left after 3 games and mills is so far a bust

I most politely disagree. Yes, Mills looks marginal as can be "but" I highly doubt a young and healthy Bo Jackson could do much better with our current OLine.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I agree with you on juco linemen because the juco skilled players have basically taken a scholarship haven’t got anything out of Williams,Woodyard, bell supposed to be top ranked running back left after 3 games and mills is so far a bust
It makes you wonder what they are seeing in practices? Remember the CU game last year when Bell broke open into the secondary and was ran down from behind and tackled when most RB’s would have taken it to the house? Frost was even asked about it in the PC and he insisted Bell was better than that showed. Where is Bell today?

The average viewer could tell in game one Bell wasn’t going to be good, but they sure liked what they saw from him in practice. Same for Mills, but we have heard all year how great he has practiced.

Apparently average players look great practicing against our D.

Yet another good question from you sir. "Everybody" always claims our S &C is at full tilt boogie......but comes game time and we get run over like a Mercades Benz over a paper-clip. I too, just don't get it.
There's a difference between building strength and building stamina. In fact building more short burst fast twitch muscle which makes you "stronger and faster" can also lead to earlier fatigue. I've hiked with workout divas who lifted and ran a lot and this crippled old man could walk them in to the ground in the mountains. I posted mid 3rd quarter that it looked like our D was gassed. When you head to altitude you can sometimes do okay for a while then if you sit for a bit (halftime) then try to go again, it's like somebody strapped a lead vest on to you. I'm not all that surprised by the way we tired late.

Reactions: GILL T

These coaches need to learn just like the rest of the team does. Criticizing the coaching and calling out that they are partially responsible for what we saw on the field is a perfectly valid exercise. It doesn't mean I want them fired, I just want them to learn and grow.

I didn't realize that paying a coach a top ten national salary - the second highest in the conference - entailed the need for additional "on-the-job training"

Maybe Moos should send a letter of thanks to the CU staff for supplying such valuable lessons to our staff and inquire if they might be available this summer to provide some one on one mentoring.

There's a difference between building strength and building stamina. In fact building more short burst fast twitch muscle which makes you "stronger and faster" can also lead to earlier fatigue. I've hiked with workout divas who lifted and ran a lot and this crippled old man could walk them in to the ground in the mountains. I posted mid 3rd quarter that it looked like our D was gassed. When you head to altitude you can sometimes do okay for a while then if you sit for a bit (halftime) then try to go again, it's like somebody strapped a lead vest on to you. I'm not all that surprised by the way we tired late.
I could accept that better if that happened to every team that plays at Boulder.

I most politely disagree. Yes, Mills looks marginal as can be "but" I highly doubt a young and healthy Bo Jackson could do much better with our current OLine.
My fears are coming to fruition for our O line. A freshman starting center making the line calls and a sophomore walk on beside him at guard worried me tremendously. They HAVE to grow up fast or this is going to be a long long season. Personally I would like to see Raridon get some snaps early in games to see how we operated with him in the lineup. We sucked last year until we moved Farmer to center because of an injury. I hope it doesn't take us 6 games to figure things out this year.

Reactions: Huskred01

Very interesting & well stated sir.

However.....I still don't get it....this scenario seems to happen everywhere, every year since the pipeline days. Also, having our offense do nothing but 3 & outs seemingly forever in the 2nd half.....I would think that's pretty rough sledding for our (or almost anybody else's) defense.

Heck, I got no answers......

My fears are coming to fruition for our O line. A freshman starting center making the line calls and a sophomore walk on beside him at guard worried me tremendously. They HAVE to grow up fast or this is going to be a long long season. Personally I would like to see Raridon get some snaps early in games to see how we operated with him in the lineup. We sucked last year until we moved Farmer to center because of an injury. I hope it doesn't take us 6 games to figure things out this year.

Oh boy, that's for damn sure. While I hope I'm dead wrong.....it just isn't looking very good so far. Yes sir, last year moving Farmer to center helped boatloads but I dare say.....at least to me, our OLine looks even worse that last year's initial OLine. Please consider how inept they looked vs two "very" marginal teams so far.

I don't know dinglefritz.....we'll just have to hope for best!

I didn't realize that paying a coach a top ten national salary - the second highest in the conference - entailed the need for additional "on-the-job training"

Maybe Moos should send a letter of thanks to the CU staff for supplying such valuable lessons to our staff and inquire if they might be available this summer to provide some one on one mentoring.
So your solution is what then? Fire them? The fact that you pay a coach a lot of money doesn't mean the coach is performing at that level in all aspects.

We've had this staff for 1 year. ONE
We've had this staff for 1 year. ONE

There was so much hype that its easy to forget. I bitched and moaned after the game. Now I'm looking forward, and look to see progress.

Less penalties, less big plays given up, less turnovers/bad snaps/fumbles/dropped passes. Also need to figure out how to not be dead in the water in the 3rd quarter. Those are how you lose games.

Look back this century, and we have been atrocious with those things.
Our staff is great imo. I think we should be patient and trust the process.

I won't pretend to know what goes on in players or coaches heads, but we should support as a fan base, give time, and trust that this time is different. (probably a lot to ask after a poor 2019 showing so far, but what else are we gonna do?).

also I quoted you because I agree with you. I just added a lot of explanation.

Reactions: TarheelHuskerFan
They were on the field the same amount of time as Colorado.

If they were gased then Duval needs to stop getting pats on the back. But, I’m sure this next offseason will be the best offseason for strength and conditioning. Going on twenty years straight now.

have you even considered the fact that Colorado is aclimated to the altitude? It does make a huge difference.

have you even considered the fact that Colorado is aclimated to the altitude? It does make a huge difference.

That's true, which bothers me even more that Frost has said twice (just said it again during his press conference today) that they weren't doing anything differently to prepare for the altitude. He also said he didn't notice the difference when he played in Boulder. That doesn't mean other people don't have problems with altitude. I know when I've gone out there, I felt like hell on a couple of occasions, and that was without having to play a football game.

How about milking the clock on offense, to give both your offense and defense a rest? It's pure idiocy to go up-tempo when you are the team coming from lower altitude. The team that should have been going up-tempo was Colorado, to wear us out. Not our own freaking coach!

Reactions: wkato
No one thinks it is acceptable. But there’s no easy, quick solution. People have a right to be mad. But wanting people fired after 14 games is absurd.

I'm just saying that Frost isn't going to go anywhere with the anchor that is Chinander.

I'm just saying that Frost isn't going to go anywhere with the anchor that is Chinander.

We get it. You don’t like him. But how about Chins actually gets a real chance before we fire him? Changing defensive coordinators every year or two isn’t how you build success.

Reactions: tpmcg
We get it. You don’t like him. But how about Chins actually gets a real chance before we fire him? Changing defensive coordinators every year or two isn’t how you build success.
Unsuccessful/homeless people like Hoosker Du just won't be able to grasp this concept

Reactions: GILL T
I mean, people forget that there’s still Mike Riley players on this team.
Agree at the very least Frost has to be allowed to have every one of the players on his team be his recruits. Even his first recruiting year one could argue they weren't his guys. I think he took a chance on some he wouldn't normally go after, but since he was behind the 8 ball in recruiting he had to just put a class together. The youngest Riley recruits are what, RS sophomores? So we have 2 years before the system has cleared.

Unsuccessful/homeless people like Hoosker Du just won't be able to grasp this concept

300px-HomelessParis_7032101.jpg

Agree at the very least Frost has to be allowed to have every one of the players on his team be his recruits. Even his first recruiting year one could argue they weren't his guys. I think he took a chance on some he wouldn't normally go after, but since he was behind the 8 ball in recruiting he had to just put a class together. The youngest Riley recruits are what, RS sophomores? So we have 2 years before the system has cleared.

I don’t understand the juxtaposition of on one hand you can’t judge the coaching quality in the first couple of years because they haven’t had enough time to make any reasonable conclusions .... yet we made this exact determination based on just 2 years at a mid major school - that after 2 years - before the UCF team was Frosts that he was a home run hire

We were more than willing to make grandiose proclamations based on less than 2 seasons coaching at a mid major.

I don’t understand the juxtaposition of on one hand you can’t judge the coaching quality in the first couple of years because they haven’t had enough time to make any reasonable conclusions .... yet we made this exact determination based on just 2 years at a mid major school - that after 2 years - before the UCF team was Frosts that he was a home run hire

We were more than willing to make grandiose proclamations based on less than 2 seasons coaching at a mid major.
Yeah, can't argue against that logic at all.

Ouch! Bingo.

Yet you’re the one asking to get blown. Typical trash fan.

Maybe someone should describe to you the difference between an insult and a proposition. Just go back to posting your usual meaningless drivel.

We need consistancy.
We have a solid staff.
They're proven.
But they still have a lot to learn too.
This is a rebuild.
Our roster talent wise, position need wise and mentality wise was terrible.

Stop calling for heads and give this time.

They've shown glimpses already.
That was the best first half of football we have seen in YEARS.
The second half was what we've seen for YEARS.

I don't think anyone really thinks there are going to be changes on the staff, unless they are voluntary moves. I think most of us are just pissed that we gave up a 17-point lead, and played so poorly in the 2nd half.

I still don't think Chinander is the right guy, but he isn't going anywhere in the near future.

Maybe someone should describe to you the difference between an insult and a proposition. Just go back to posting your usual meaningless drivel.
I usually only post when people like you are bashing the staff or players. I could see why you would see that as meaningless drivel. Its s shame there are so many wishy washy fans that bash instead of support a staff, in year FN 2!!!!

There were red flags on Saturday, most notably the Blackshirts were gassed in the second half, and CU was more confident and physical. That's a tough pill to swallow. I think I speak for most when saying at the very LEAST we expect the team to compete hard and keep the "don't take no crap" attitude until the final whistle. That didn't happen Saturday and it's fair to call it out, but way too early to suggest anything other than that.

You can bet SF will work to correct this, but it may take time. And when I say "time" I'm referring to 4-5 YEARS, not 4-5 MONTHS. If Frosty can't fix this football program, I don't know who could or would. So let him coach, and trust he has the correct staff in place.

If you aren't happy with Frost or have him on a short leash already, then I'm afraid you'll never be happy as a Husker fan until to get a time machine to transport back to 1995.

There were red flags on Saturday, most notably the Blackshirts were gassed in the second half, and CU was more confident and physical. That's a tough pill to swallow. I think I speak for most when saying at the very LEAST we expect the team to compete hard and keep the "don't take no crap" attitude until the final whistle. That didn't happen Saturday and it's fair to call it out, but way too early to suggest anything other than that.

You can bet SF will work to correct this, but it may take time. And when I say "time" I'm referring to 4-5 YEARS, not 4-5 MONTHS. If Frosty can't fix this football program, I don't know who could or would. So let him coach, and trust he has the correct staff in place.

If you aren't happy with Frost or have him on a short leash already, then I'm afraid you'll never be happy as a Husker fan until to get a time machine to transport back to 1995.

This staff is 4-9 against D-1 competition. I don’t think most actually believe Frost is on any kind of short leash but people can also be unhappy with the results thus far.

Charlie McBride sends his regards. Sounds like a lot of the same stuff that was said about him. Great players make coaches look pretty good sometimes. How many does Chinander have currently?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT