ADVERTISEMENT

Stimulus package..

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/white-house-wants-send-individual-185544131.html
(Bloomberg) -- The Trump administration is discussing a plan that could amount to as much as $1.2 trillion in spending -- including direct payments of $1,000 or more to Americans within two weeks -- to blunt some of the economic impact of the widening coronavirus outbreak.

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin pitched $250 billion in checks to be sent at the end of April with a second set of checks totaling $500 billion four weeks later if there’s still a national emergency, according to a person familiar with the matter.

“Americans need cash now, and the president wants to give cash now. And I mean now, in the next two weeks,” Mnuchin said Tuesday at a White House briefing alongside President Donald Trump.

“It is a big number,” Mnuchin told reporters later on Capitol Hill. “This is a very big situation in this economy, we put a proposal on the table that would inject $1 trillion into the economy.”

Last edited:
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/white-house-wants-send-individual-185544131.html
(Bloomberg) -- The Trump administration is discussing a plan that could amount to as much as $1.2 trillion in spending -- including direct payments of $1,000 or more to Americans within two weeks -- to blunt some of the economic impact of the widening coronavirus outbreak.

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin pitched $250 billion in checks to be sent at the end of April with a second set of checks totaling $500 billion four weeks later if there’s still a national emergency, according to a person familiar with the matter.

“Americans need cash now, and the president wants to give cash now. And I mean now, in the next two weeks,” Mnuchin said Tuesday at a White House briefing alongside President Donald Trump.

“It is a big number,” Mnuchin told reporters later on Capitol Hill. “This is a very big situation in this economy, we put a proposal on the table that would inject $1 trillion into the economy.”
At least, if true that stimulus is going to the American people and NOT greedy corporations. Obama was the WORST president of all time

At least, if true that stimulus is going to the American people and NOT greedy corporations. Obama was the WORST president of all time

Don't worry they'll get theirs. Trump already told the airlines he'll take care of them.

Trump's got to do anything he can to try and save his economy. Problem here is that the industry worst hit won't get any of this money. If he sends me $1000 I'm not buying airline tickets or hotel rooms.

This money will go to business who already have customers and we will still have to bail out the others.

Trump's got to do anything he can to try and save his economy. Problem here is that the industry worst hit won't get any of this money. If he sends me $1000 I'm not buying airline tickets or hotel rooms.

This money will go to business who already have customers and we will still have to bail out the others.
Yeah... this is a huge economic event and will require a huge economic response to prevent permanent damage in terms of businesses closing and unemployment skyrocketing. Adding a couple trillion dollars to the national debt to help average Americans and affected businesses is a relatively small price to pay to prevent economic collapse.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
They just need better ways to operate. All I'm saying
The airlines? I guess?
Prices haven't increased as much as other everyday costs though. But involving government is a must and a burden to them as well. Local governments do most of the procurement for airports, plus add local taxation and regulations,on airlines and other local entities,including citizens.

Thing is, your local guy,small business guy, when this blows over, you'll have money to spend at their business.
The 60 cents on the dollar by the time the people get anything, this is cutting out the middleman,except those actually printing the checks and our mailmen.
No bloated bureaucracy, just the folks printing the checks, the folks getting the names.

Reactions: jeans15
Free money, and who gets it and for how long, is a very slippery slope. I have been in Montana for a decade now. Our second leading industry behind agriculture is tourism, and in the mountainous region I live in, it is #1. If this goes on for 6 or 8 months and the whole tourist summer season is basically canceled, things are going to get beyond UGLY here. Hotels, restaurants, fishing guides, gas stations, state agencies relying on non resident tags, ski hills, ect..... all fall down. With many people laid off, or let go completely, my community college will see an uptick in enrollment because student loans will be the way 17% of my students pay their rent and feed their kids, put it is not ideal. So my job is secure, but my community will suffer more than just economically: crime rates will soar, abuse and domestic assaults will escalate, and suicides will go even higher than the currently are....

Instead of free money, I would vote for something similar to the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) where more than some of these individuals, in order to get their $3000 a month, would be put on crews to improve the infrastructure and back log of projects both in tourist hot spots and on public lands. This doesn't solve it for 32.2% but those would need to apply to support crews and assistants, both in person and remotely (if daycare is an issue, for example).

There are probably all kinds of holes from both the left and right regarding my idea, but it was utilized successfully 87 years ago for the good of our society, and I think something similar is a possibility in 2020. Maybe? Probably not..... Thanks for reading.

Free money, and who gets it and for how long, is a very slippery slope. I have been in Montana for a decade now. Our second leading industry behind agriculture is tourism, and in the mountainous region I live in, it is #1. If this goes on for 6 or 8 months and the whole tourist summer season is basically canceled, things are going to get beyond UGLY here. Hotels, restaurants, fishing guides, gas stations, state agencies relying on non resident tags, ski hills, ect..... all fall down. With many people laid off, or let go completely, my community college will see an uptick in enrollment because student loans will be the way 17% of my students pay their rent and feed their kids, put it is not ideal. So my job is secure, but my community will suffer more than just economically: crime rates will soar, abuse and domestic assaults will escalate, and suicides will go even higher than the currently are....

Instead of free money, I would vote for something similar to the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) where more than some of these individuals, in order to get their $3000 a month, would be put on crews to improve the infrastructure and back log of projects both in tourist hot spots and on public lands. This doesn't solve it for 32.2% but those would need to apply to support crews and assistants, both in person and remotely (if daycare is an issue, for example).

There are probably all kinds of holes from both the left and right regarding my idea, but it was utilized successfully 87 years ago for the good of our society, and I think something similar is a possibility in 2020. Maybe? Probably not..... Thanks for reading.
It doesn't end with this. Those laid off can get other monies too, and the businesses can get no penalty loans, not ideal,but survivable.
Unless they changed it, anyone getting laid off will continue to get paid I believe. Even at 70%, add in the thousand,theyre close, and if an adult in the family isnt working, they'll still get that thousand.

Reactions: jeans15
It doesn't end with this. Those laid off can get other monies too, and the businesses can get no penalty loans, not ideal,but survivable.
Unless they changed it, anyone getting laid off will continue to get paid I believe. Even at 70%, add in the thousand,theyre close, and if an adult in the family isnt working, they'll still get that thousand.

Sadly, it doesn't quite work seamlessly for the seasonal and temporary jobs here, which make up 25-40% of the workforce here...... Many of which, uncle sam doesn't really know about, at least he doesn't know the real amount of pay. (tips, cash, side hustles, trading services...... It is WAY too common here, where you can't buy a house for less than $275k and the average income is less than 40k annually.... The scenery tax is a doozy out here, especially in places like bozeman, missoula, and helena. Hard to explain, sorry..... but I have never lived in a place with so many pay check to pay check, or worse, for the majority of the population.)

Sadly, it doesn't quite work seamlessly for the seasonal and temporary jobs here, which make up 25-40% of the workforce here...... Many of which, uncle sam doesn't really know about, at least he doesn't know the real amount of pay. (tips, cash, side hustles, trading services...... It is WAY too common here, where you can't buy a house for less than $275k and the average income is less than 40k annually.... The scenery tax is a doozy out here, especially in places like bozeman, missoula, and helena. Hard to explain, sorry..... but I have never lived in a place with so many pay check to pay check, or worse, for the majority of the population.)
Well, I think I know the haves in the have and have not scenario, it doesn't surprise me. Yea, tips wont likely be covered, and not exactly sure even what percentage people will be covered at. But, if they go by income, and they've reported their tips, it might be covered.
Seasonal, I thought there was something there, not sure, I haven't read the thing, only listened to what was covered.
Theres going to be cracks,no doubt.

Reactions: Cloud@Heart
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT