ADVERTISEMENT

Stimulus checks?

No they wont.

This is not the first stimulus check given to us

The national debt is pretty much out of control. Even a minor increase in the interest rate on the debt will have catastrophic effects in our ability to be pay it back. SS, Medicare and Medicaid already suck up such a huge portion of taxes collected. This epidemic pushes us over the edge. We are now past the point of no return.

The cut-off is pretty ridiculous. If you want to have money come back into the economy, 199K shouldn't have been the cut-off for couples. My family doesn't need the money, so it is probably fine that we didn't get one, but on the other hand I would have spent basically all of it at local business or doing nice things for my kids daycare or others. If you want my true opinion all tax payers should have received and there shouldn't have been a cut-off.
Yeah, I like to spend money as much as the next guy. Not to mention I now have 3 college age kids living at home for the time being. A little extra grocery cash would have been nice. Oh well.

Reactions: leodisflowers
No they wont.

This is not the first stimulus check given to us

Just FYI. If part of the money you received was a child credit....expect that to be deducted from your normal child credit next year.

i.e. If you claim one kid you should have just received $500. If you are able to claim that kid next year, you will qualify for $500 less of the normal child credit.

Yeah, I like to spend money as much as the next guy. Not to mention I now have 3 college age kids living at home for the time being. A little extra grocery cash would have been nice. Oh well.

Agreed. We were literally hoping to just spend it on all of our local restaurants that we frequent as well as the local hardware store that has done a lot for the hospitals. We've already bought our daycare lunch multiple times just to show appreciation and will continue to do so. It's not a big deal but decent amount of cash to be able to plug in to some of the places that are struggling around here.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
Nothing yet. But, someone filed a faulty tax return on us about 5 years ago and I think had a return check sent to Bosnia. Fortunately for us we owed money that year so didn't have to fight for our refund. Now we get a new PIN code from the IRS every year and have to file manually. My check may take a while. Booooo.

I never agree with deficit spending unless its times like this. Congress is filled with idiots. Still, in this case they really had no way to tell who needed the money and who didn't. How can you quickly tell who is out of work, the value of their house and car payments, college loan payments, etc. This is the first bailout I've ever supported.

Got it, paid off my smartphone to lower my monthly bill, still have about $900 to blow. I've saved enough to live roughly 2 years without a job so f*** it, I'll pump that $1200 straight back up the economy's poop chute Smokin:confused::oops: no, I'm not sure what I mean by that.

I also still have a job but am not taking it for granted.

Isn't two years an excessive amount to keep in a low interest savings account? Unless you were planning on retiring soon wouldn't it be better to keep around 6 months safety net and invest the rest?

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Isn't two years an excessive amount to keep in a low interest savings account? Unless you were planning on retiring soon wouldn't it be better to keep around 6 months safety net and invest the rest?
I ended up settling for a lower down payment then expected when buying a home. I am glad I didn't toss it all in the market immediately because it would be gone now Laughing 1.5%+ is better than -15٪, which is how some of my 401(k) numbers look YTD Sick:p but I tend to like Goldman's outlook for quarters 3 and 4 so I'll probably do something soon.

Reactions: kerpal_68
Lots of people getting them don’t need them. It is a terrible idea. Debt was out of control before, now not sure how the hell US ever can get out from underneath this.

Wrong. This country lives on debt. Do you think the student loan debt will ever get fully paid? No way. Not to mention all the wars we’ve invested money in... 17 trillion will never be trimmed.

Reactions: jeans15
For those that did get checks and are lucky enough to not need them, please consider your local food bank or think of a friend who may need it. This money can be a lot if you don’t need it, but it isn’t much of you do need it.

Many churches have food banks and/or are able to give it to people in need with the giver and receiver being anonymous.

I bought a mail order bride, hope she gets here quick, she says she's 5 times better than any other woman that i could get!

NINTCHDBPICT000423792296.jpg

Oh wait, i think i read that 5 times better wrong.;)

I don't have direct deposit set up through IRS because I never get a refund..... I will be waiting for the next month to get a paper check I guess.... I am still working, but three others I live with are not and a check will absolutely make a difference, regardless of what side of the aisle you dig your heels into.
You can set up direct deposit from this link on the IRS website. It just went live this morning. Type in your SS#, DOB and address and it will tell you if you qualify and if they have direct deposit info for you. If they don't have it, you will then be directed to another link to set it up. You will need your AGI, how much you have to pay in on the last set of taxes you filed and bank info.
https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

I don't get one. Work too much. As a commercial carpenter I am deemed essential, and therefor still working. I am grateful for that, and the fact I do not qualify. We are keeping my darling's tanning salon payments going, and are supporting local restruants doing take out.

Reactions: Cloud@Heart
I heard china has a lot of US debt, so thats a good thing...we can just take that and send them the bill for the rest.

Reactions: tarheelhusker
For the righteous ones that either don't want money "from Trump" or think they don't "need the money" let me know with a DM.

Because I like money...and I want more of it.

Not being righteous at all. I do not get one. Make more than the top limit most years. I do also not deserve one. Had I got one I would have bought a coin with it.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
We got ours yesterday. Earmarking it for a beach vacation when all this is said and done. We're both "essential" (correctional officer and speech language pathologist) so we've remained working and its just extra for us, we didn't "need" it. I have been off the last 2 weeks due to an outbreak in our facility but have still been getting paid, shes doing her best to work with kids via video chatting and phone.

This is what I am getting. Know we qualify based on 2018 AGI....

Screen_Shot_2020_04_15_at_4.29.27_PM.png
Have you done your 2019 taxes? If so, it is based off of those taxes. Is there a chance that you didn't qualify because your AGI was above the limit on your 2019 taxes?

Reactions: bluenrg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT