ADVERTISEMENT

Stille is Back!

So on defense 9 starters back and and I count 11 guys with experience that can rotate in. (Didn't count guys who started due to injury as starters)

One thing that I think helps the buy-in for players is that we had a lot of players rotate in on defense. I hope to see that again this coming year even though we have a lot of starters back. Helps depth&morale and keeps our guys fresh. Plus there are a couple of spots (DB&field LB) that need seasoning behind the starters despite the experience we have returning.

The defense is going to be salty next year.
its going to be pretty good. Then after next year it looks like probably 9 starters will leave. Its just a guess but i think Martinez will leave after next year too. maybe not. but if he does the team will be in total rebuild mode after just 1 good year.
how much extra$$ does it cost the athletic dept to pay for this many football players in the program? They are adding a bunch and not subtracting hardly any.

I think Clark and Newsome have the best chances then maybe Joseph&Lynum. I personally favor Clark if he can come back from injury. Despite all the experience we are a little low on DB numbers.

Reactions: headcard
who steps in for Bootle?
Newsome, Clark, Joseph, Lynum.
There’s at least some competition.

Clark was looking solid before injury. Personally Newsome hasn’t impressed me, but he was young, limited time, and coaches like him.

Joseph is a former top recruit, so maybe the highest ceiling if he can emerge after his juco detour.

Coaches were impressed how Lynum seemed to blossom early upon arrival, packing weight and stuff.

As long as the young guys don’t get discouraged and leave, it’s great to have the stability of seniors returning.

I love the sense that there’s unfinished business and they want to see it through.

Reactions: Reditus
These guys could be 3/4 of the way to an MD by the time they leave Neb

I’m sure there are stats out there breaking down returning seniors by program and comparisons. I would be interested to see how that looks when the dust settles. I feel like we are celebrating, but the situation will be similar for most programs and the playing field will still be pretty level with regard to returning seniors.

Reactions: CBOYZ CAT
its going to be pretty good. Then after next year it looks like probably 9 starters will leave. Its just a guess but i think Martinez will leave after next year too. maybe not. but if he does the team will be in total rebuild mode after just 1 good year.
how much extra$$ does it cost the athletic dept to pay for this many football players in the program? They are adding a bunch and not subtracting hardly any.

9 starters will leave? We will only 5 Sr's. And now you are worried about the cost of scholarships? Do you have a kid buried on the depth chart or something.

9 starters will leave? We will only 5 Sr's. And now you are worried about the cost of scholarships? Do you have a kid buried on the depth chart or something.
seems odd, but I'm not really worried about the D at all under Chins. he's bringing in good players, our best recruiter focuses on that side of the ball and the unit seems to be fully bought in.

it's by far our most stable unit, even after next season. a ton of young guys already have real game experience, including getting starts.

umm i think you must be looking at an incorrect depth chart. the only non seniors after next year will be Ty Robinson and one of the LBs. in case we are confusing terminology, i am counting seniors as seniors even though they would be eligible for another year. It might happen again, but in most cases seniors will decide to leave even if they have the opportunity to play another season. NEB this year is an anomaly . I'm not quite sure why so many are coming back except maybe they hope they can have 1 winning season before its all over. i dont think many seniors will stay another year after next year.
some of these guys are 25 years old and probably wont play in the NFL. they have given up a couple years of earnings which will mean they will have to work later in life. the time value of money is one reason i've been able to basically retire at age 55. some of these kids dont realize giving up 2 years of salary when that salary has 30-40 years to grow after being invested is a LOT of money to give up. they need financial counselors advising them not football coaches desperate for a winning season

Last edited:
I think we will see our defensive line in particular take big strides next year. People tend to forget that it often takes defensive lineman, especially the tackles, a couple of years to truly master their craft and to learn all of the tricks required to outsmart offensive lineman. Even the great Suh, arguably the greatest college defensive lineman who ever played the game, did not become truly dominant until his junior year. I watched him as a sophomore when Callahan was coach get pushed around by the USC offensive line like he was a rag doll. Some of that was probably due to bad coaching but you get the point. I am really curious to see Ty Robinson take that next leap and I think he will. The dude is a stud. And don't forget about the young polar bear in the wings. I hope he sees the field this year. Stille has probably hit his ceiling already, but it will be interesting to see how he does when he actually has line mates who are really good.

umm i think you must be looking at an incorrect depth chart. the only non seniors after next year will be Ty Robinson and one of the LBs. in case we are confusing terminology, i am counting seniors as seniors even though they would be eligible for another year. It might happen again, but in most cases seniors will decide to leave even if they have the opportunity to play another season. NEB this year is an anomaly . I'm not quite sure why so many are coming back except maybe they hope they can have 1 winning season before its all over. i dont think many seniors will stay another year after next year.
some of these guys are 25 years old and probably wont play in the NFL. they have given up a couple years of earnings which will mean they will have to work later in life. the time value of money is one reason i've been able to basically retire at age 55. some of these kids dont realize giving up 2 years of salary when that salary has 30-40 years to grow after being invested is a LOT of money to give up. they need financial counselors advising them not football coaches desperate for a winning season

OK, so you are calling Jr’s, Sr’s and assuming they won’t come back. Still not sure how that gets you to 9 and it’s a pretty faulty assumption that they won’t chose to come back (outside of CTB).

I remeber what Big Mick said after the 2018 season in his very last interview, he said that this was only year one and and only a little had been added as the scheme was new and said each year the D would keep getting better and better as more and more of the D would keep being added each year. I posted this back then and got backlash from all of the never experts as all that was heard was the defense sucks and Chinander needs to be fired. Look where the D is now and now those same one's are singing their praises. There are a number of posters that lack any and all depth and continute to post drivel as they aren't smart enough to really look at the big picture as they are self garatuitous pigs.

Last edited:
Losing DCap's side might just be harder to replace his experience as overall he was our best pass defender with 34 or so career PBU's even though he only managed 1 career INT.

here's a thought:

playing college football looks like it's fun as hell, and it should not be surprising to anyone that kids like doing it.

working a full-time job is super boring compared to playing football with your friends.

Should be a top 40 D, easily, and top four in the conference. If two or even just one player raises his level of play to all-conference, we should be a top 25 unit.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
here's a thought:

playing college football looks like it's fun as hell, and it should not be surprising to anyone that kids like doing it.

working a full-time job is super boring compared to playing football with your friends.
Absolutely. It's one extra year. I guess I just assumed most of our guys would come back when presented with the option of playing P5 football or becoming a working stiff.

For once, it pays to have really good but not great talent.
That’s funny and true. Not sure tho. You lose your best offensive and defensive player and a 3 win team. I still lack the excitement of what’s changed. Wan’Dale was the best WR and only person I can remember defenses actually saying they schemes around. The young guys don’t get experience. I think this team will be the oldest ream, maybe ever. It was already old.

I'll have confidence in our D when I stop seeing linebackers covering receivers on big 3rd downs against decent teams.
lol. you mean like Ohio State having a linebacker covering a Heisman trophy winning WR ..... It happens. Offenses are designed to create mismatches and OCs strive to take advantage of situations created by motion and what the defense shows.

Should be a top 40 D, easily, and top four in the conference. If two or even just one player raises his level of play to all-conference, we should be a top 25 unit.
Yeah we should be. It should have happened this year and the year before. But instead, the defense keeps on being the same below average unit under Chinander.

I'm happy Stille is coming back and I'm glad we have so many senior starters returning. It's the first positive sign I've seen from this staff in a long time. But if people think that automatically makes the defense a top 30-40 unit next year, they're fooling themselves. Could our defense improve to that point next year? Possibly, but it's also possible it does worse. I'm done giving the benefit of the doubt. If we're really improved next year, it will show on the field.

Reactions: Chuck003
I'm happy Stille is coming back and I'm glad we have so many senior starters returning. It's the first positive sign I've seen from this staff in a long time. But if people think that automatically makes the defense a top 30-40 unit next year, they're fooling themselves. Could our defense improve to that point next year? Possibly, but it's also possible it does worse. I'm done giving the benefit of the doubt. If we're really improved next year, it will show on the field.

This is excellent news.

How much longer do you think Chin gives Frost to get his shit together? If next years D makes another jump, there may be legit interest in his services from good programs.

Last edited:
I'm really pleasantly surprised at how many of the good defensive players are returning. Didn't expect that many but it must mean good team chemistry on that side of the ball I would guess.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Chinander might be the one to save this program. If the D plays top 25 and O just finishes some drives and I think we will with the addition of bigger players and the smaller players leaving I change my prediction from 7-5 to 8-4 or 9-3.

Chinander might be the one to save this program. If the D plays top 25 and O just finishes some drives and I think we will with the addition of bigger players and the smaller players leaving I change my prediction from 7-5 to 8-4 or 9-3.
Sure let's hope so. Anything less than 7-5 is failure.

Sure let's hope so. Anything less than 7-5 is failure.
It’s kind of funny the guy we all called to be fired is actually the most consistent coach we have it appears. But now he has expectations so we know how those work around here. And yes 6-6 would be a failure. 7-5 has to be the minimum. But I’m confident that happens.

Reactions: NebChicago
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT