ADVERTISEMENT

Stepp - recruitment out of HS

inWV

Offensive Coordinator
Sep 22, 2007
Ranked as a 5.8 4* prospect per Rivals. From his recruitment history, he showed early interest in ND and committed to them in June, 2016. Was then offered by LSU and Georgia, Louisville, Miami, Minn, USC, Nebraska, and de-committed from ND in Dec, 2017 and commits to USC later in that month. Stepp reports being offered by Bama, Michigan and Iowa. Most of the programs that offered him like to have big backs on their roster. I'd say if he is healthy, he will produce for NU this fall.

Ranked as a 5.8 4* prospect per Rivals. From his recruitment history, he showed early interest in ND and committed to them in June, 2016. Was then offered by LSU and Georgia, Louisville, Miami, Minn, USC, Nebraska, and de-committed from ND in Dec, 2017 and commits to USC later in that month. Stepp reports being offered by Bama, Michigan and Iowa. Most of the programs that offered him like to have big backs on their roster. I'd say if he is healthy, he will produce for NU this fall.
Clearly he was a big time get coming out of high school. I think he may end up being an even bigger get for NU. It's interesting that we had offered him in high school. Glad he's decided to come home to NU.

Reactions: CT-NUred
He ain’t gonna beat many RBs in a race, but I’m pretty sure he’s better than the rest of the room down there.

Stepp went to a Catholic HS in Indy (Cathedral) & grew up a huge ND fan. He committed very early & was his class’ biggest recruiter.
He was injured 3 of his 4 years in HS (leg injuries). ND was concerned about his durability when he was hurt again his Senior year with another leg injury. Then he didn’t finish the minimum requirements to pass ND admissions so the staff couldn’t take his application for the process. They had informed him what he needed to do & he still hadn’t done it by the end of the 1st semester of his Senior year. The ND staff decided they couldn’t risk waiting another semester for him to complete the work combined with his injury history. They talked with Stepp & decided it would be best if they parted ways so he could have time to be recruited by others.
Stepp went to USC, and was injured much of his Freshman year, then again his Sophomore year. Going back to his Freshman year of HS, so 6 football seasons, he has only played 1 full season because of injury. It bummed me out because I watched him at Cathedral & was really excited for him going to ND.

Stepp went to a Catholic HS in Indy (Cathedral) & grew up a huge ND fan. He committed very early & was his class’ biggest recruiter.
He was injured 3 of his 4 years in HS (leg injuries). ND was concerned about his durability when he was hurt again his Senior year with another leg injury. Then he didn’t finish the minimum requirements to pass ND admissions so the staff couldn’t take his application for the process. They had informed him what he needed to do & he still hadn’t done it by the end of the 1st semester of his Senior year. The ND staff decided they couldn’t risk waiting another semester for him to complete the work combined with his injury history. They talked with Stepp & decided it would be best if they parted ways so he could have time to be recruited by others.
Stepp went to USC, and was injured much of his Freshman year, then again his Sophomore year. Going back to his Freshman year of HS, so 6 football seasons, he has only played 1 full season because of injury. It bummed me out because I watched him at Cathedral & was really excited for him going to ND.
^^^ just peed in the kool-aid ^^^

if our O-line play improves (which I think we're headed in the right direction) our RBs will suddenly seem brilliant and talented (which they are)

My arse could have ran through some of the holes in the 80s and 90s. We just need to move some people.

I will say, Purdue could have had him out of high school had they pushed hard enough. But they to were scared of his injury history. Dude is talented when healthy. But he is never healthy.

I will say, Purdue could have had him out of high school had they pushed hard enough. But they to were scared of his injury history. Dude is talented when healthy. But he is never healthy.

Kind of like Randall Moore..

Well if Purdue showed any interest at all, we should be all over him. They always reload with a player 2x better than what they had.

To clarify, Stepp is really, really good when he plays. The problem is he runs too hard sometimes for an injury prone back & it hurts him (literally). Probably his best game at USC was against ND in South Bend, ironically, because he ran HARD and turned no gains into 3 yards & 4 yards into 8 yard gains. The problem was he took a lot of damage doing it & never was the same afterwards. So when he plays he will do really well for you, so maybe Frost needs to save him for just 4-5 games (Iowa, Wisky, etc... kidding...kind of).

Stepp was relatively healthy the last two seasons. He just played for USC in the dumbest offensive scheme in the Power 5. I don't have a lot of issues with the Air Raid offense per se. It has its place for some programs. But not at USC.

The Trojans had 3 legit high level Power 5 running backs the last two years. They proceeded to basically give those three dudes 5 to 7 carries per game and throw the football 45 times.

The only running game execution dumber than USCs is Purdue's.

Stepp will really benefit from playing in Nebraska's offense where the running game is a lot more RB friendly.

But the key to Nebraska's offense is still contingent upon Toure, Manning, Betts, Martin, Allen, and Fidone.

If those dudes force Safeties to play back and the linebackers to defend sideline to sideline, then dudes like Stepp will have a massive year.

Stepp was relatively healthy the last two seasons. He just played for USC in the dumbest offensive scheme in the Power 5. I don't have a lot of issues with the Air Raid offense per se. It has its place for some programs. But not at USC.

The Trojans had 3 legit high level Power 5 running backs the last two years. They proceeded to basically give those three dudes 5 to 7 carries per game and throw the football 45 times.

Stepp will really benefit from playing in Nebraska's offense where the running game is a lot more RB friendly.

But the key to Nebraska's offense is still contingent upon Toure, Manning, Betts, Martin, Allen, and Fidone.

If those dudes force Safeties to play back and the linebackers to defend sideline to sideline, then dudes like Stepp will have a massive year.
Mostly because Purdue's oline couldn't hold holes long enough for their slower RB's to hit the holes. The screen game basically acted as the run.

That was 2017. Since then, lots of injuries. Can he stay ever stay healthy for an entire season? Have the injuries taken a toll on him?

Mostly because Purdue's oline couldn't hold holes long enough for their slower RB's to hit the holes. The screen game basically acted as the run.

Purdue's running game is an abomination and borders on communism. Blaming the offensive line is laughable. Schematically speaking, if Brohm's continue to run the same scheme, they will never run the ball well in the Big Ten.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
Purdue's running game is an abomination and borders on communism. Blaming the offensive line is laughable. Schematically speaking, if Brohm's continue to run the same scheme, they will never run the ball well in the Big Ten.
Well. For 1, they don't want to be a run focused team, they want to use the pass to set up the run. 2. His first 2 years, they averaged 150 and 135 rushing yards per game with a makeshift oline built from the portal. Has had an extremely young line the last two years. Not sure his scheme changed the last two years. Just that gap being bridged from Hazell/portal guys to his guys. Should start to step forward now.

I'm really hoping Sevion Morrison is the best, he has breakaway speed.

I'm rooting for Sevion as well. Stepp looks "ok" to me but I see him as solid. Not sure he is a difference maker. That's why I'm praying like hell Sevion is ready and CAN be a difference maker. Otherwise I'm not sure how good we will be at the RB position.

Holla

I'm rooting for Sevion as well. Stepp looks "ok" to me but I see him as solid. Not sure he is a difference maker. That's why I'm praying like hell Sevion is ready and CAN be a difference maker. Otherwise I'm not sure how good we will be at the RB position.

Holla
It would seem the consensus is that out of the youngsters, Sevion has the greatest chance to pop. What NU needs is reliability from the RB position to take pressure off of Martinez in the run game. I think Stepp helps with this. Get more third and short options. Having backs that can help produce those situations and then get that 3rd down yardage gives Adrian options. Last year when Mills wasn't available, everyone in the stadium know the likely play was QB run on third down and short.

Reactions: kakdawg
It would seem the consensus is that out of the youngsters, Sevion has the greatest chance to pop. What NU needs is reliability from the RB position to take pressure off of Martinez in the run game. I think Stepp helps with this. Get more third and short options. Having backs that can help produce those situations and then get that 3rd down yardage gives Adrian options. Last year when Mills wasn't available, everyone in the stadium know the likely play was QB run on third down and short.

Providing he's healthy I think he can be solid. I just don't see a difference maker back in. Good strong runner who should be able to convert those 3rd and shorts. Again I could be wrong but I'm not sure he is the answer that many seem to think he is. Thus my hoping that Sevion is ready to go and is a more complete guy capable of being special. That's MY hope.

Holla

I honestly think people are just putting Sevion in the “most potential” slot because they haven’t seen him yet.

Holla
I believe with an improved OL and WRs, any of the scholarship RBs can be productive. I like them all, although Ervin may need a redshirt. I'm especially high on Scott who can be a punishing runner with good YAC.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
I believe with an improved OL and WRs, any of the scholarship RBs can be productive. I like them all, although Ervin may need a redshirt. I'm especially high on Scott who can be a punishing runner with good YAC.

I hope you are right. Personally I was expecting a lot more out of Scott last year. I was extremely high on him but last year he didn't show much. Same thing with Thompkins.

I hope you are right. I just think most have Stepp already penciled in as the starter. I wanna see it because I'm not sold on him like everyone else appears to be.

Holla

Bit of a jinx there.

Stepp was relatively healthy the last two seasons.

What?
In 2019 he was hurt in the 5th game & then finally for the season in the 6th game. He played 5.5 of 13 games in 2019. That’s not “relatively” healthy. Then in 2020 he was hurt twice & missed spring & fall practices & was limited in games due to the injuries. In 2018, USC wanted to play him the four free games & he only played in two because of injury.
So in a possible 22 games the past 2.5 seasons he could have played in he played in 12 & never made it through the 13th. That’s not relatively healthy.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
What?
In 2019 he was hurt in the 5th game & then finally for the season in the 6th game. He played 5.5 of 13 games in 2019. That’s not “relatively” healthy. Then in 2020 he was hurt twice & missed spring & fall practices & was limited in games due to the injuries. In 2018, USC wanted to play him the four free games & he only played in two because of injury.
So in a possible 22 games the past 2.5 seasons he could have played in he played in 12 & never made it through the 13th. That’s not relatively healthy.
He has a tendency to misremember.

The problem with the RBs lately is that way too many of them are injured. We see them for a game or two and then they disappear.

Reactions: scarletred
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT