ADVERTISEMENT

Stepp N

I definitely PRAY that this kid becomes a major contributor, but something about 45 rushing attempts this year for a total of 165 yards doesn't really scream 'this kid is a baller' to me.

And no, I'm not being negative nor am I bashing the kid whatsoever, just looking at the numbers and being realistic about them. Nothing would make me happier than for him to be an absolute stud at Nebraska!

I don't know what to make of these commits. On the one hand I'm please that we got a RB who looks to have some talent. On the other hand it would seem to suggest that the RB room is filled with busts, which tells me that a) these coaches are terrible at identifying talent b) or they can't develop talent c) or both.

Toure said "Let's get to work" on his announcement. Stepp said "Let's work" on his.

Maybe that's the 2021 theme.

Injured often seems to be a prerequisite for us at RB.
Both of OSU's RBs missed all or parts of games this year due to injuries. Sermon left early in the game last night and never returned. Master Teague missed several games this season I think due to an ankle.

Last edited:
Both of OSU's games missed all or parts of games this year due to injuries. Sermon left early in the game last night and never returned. Master Teague missed several games this season I think due to an ankle.

Yeah I didn't really look at Stepp's history, but we have recruited a lot of backs in the past 5 years that have had bad knees in high school, ACL injuries, etc.

i think all the current RBs on the roster just got a big message where they stand in the program. wont be surprised to see a couple transfer now. it was already a fairly crowded RB room. stepp has 3 yrs left to play. this move just shoved everyone else down a notch for the next 3 yrs. thats most of their eligibility. most of the RBs are sophs and frosh and several just saw their opportunity close

Frost could still rely on Belt and Jewett in live games that are close and at critical junctures.

Reactions: Oldie but goodie
I definitely PRAY that this kid becomes a major contributor, but something about 45 rushing attempts this year for a total of 165 yards doesn't really scream 'this kid is a baller' to me.

And no, I'm not being negative nor am I bashing the kid whatsoever, just looking at the numbers and being realistic about them. Nothing would make me happier than for him to be an absolute stud at Nebraska!
It was a short season, their #1 back only had 54 carries. The guy has averaged over 5 ypc in his career.

Good get

if USCs 3rd string RB is Nebs #1 back next year then Held should probably quietly go away - for pissing away the last 3-4 years

save him the disgrace of firing and let him claim he is joining the Morningside staff as the next step in his career
be nice if you went and played on I 80 or the main line or the Burlington northern. You are one of the biggest trolls and buzz kill on the board. You have need to change your depression medicine make it stronger

Decent stats his second year in terms of yds/carry. Oft injured (does not =) reliable starter, however.
I hope he's not like other rb that came into the program needing repairs and healing time their first year and not sure that they ever will see the field. Like that Wisconsin was a player for his services.

Do you think we can get this thread to 7 pages like we did for an undersized WR? Yeah probably not. This guy has the potential to be "that" kind of back that I saw Texas use to pound Colorado in their bowl game. Stud.
Thank you, lets focus on who we got. Starting to like what we're putting together here, gotta believe Omar being his tour guide is even better sign after this commit. GBR!

When did they even start playing out there, November? Was he in game shape, was his oline? Weird season esp out West. I dk lets wait til spring ball and @ least let him be anointed the next great thing here lol

Reactions: dinglefritz
It all looks great but....

Just think how the freshmen running backs feel, backs in your program already. It’s only going to lead to more transfers. Get ready, and don’t scratch your head when it happens.

And yes, this is happening at all big programs now, and I’m not a fan one bit. It’s like kids need their egos stroked and want to feel wanted and recruited again. Sad times

This guy has the potential to be "that" kind of back that I saw Texas use to pound Colorado in their bowl game. Stud.

He is just as likely to get pulled or used as a decoy in short yardage/goal line situations so frosty can dial up a shovel pass to Hickman

It sure seems like it's gotten a lot easier to get 4 star talent into Lincoln over the last few years.

Sam at OWH pointed to loss of carries to rb to the fact USC changed to an air raid offense that diminished the need for rb carries last year.
It's not the number of carriers (or total yards) that has me concerned, it's the 3.67 yards/carry that is troublesome.

And to be honest, wouldn't you think that switching to more of an air-raid type offense should have resulted in better average numbers for the RB's? If teams are more focused-on stopping the pass then that affords you the opportunity to run the football better (ie. they aren't loading the box).

Yes and there never seemed to be any clarity on whether it was excused or not.
Then there was the rumor him and Omar went AWOL and were gonzo. Omar seems to be bought in now again from all accounts, not sure about Thompkins. Be nice to get some of these guys to buy in come Fall camp too

It all looks great but....

Just think how the freshmen running backs feel, backs in your program already. It’s only going to lead to more transfers. Get ready, and don’t scratch your head when it happens.

And yes, this is happening at all big programs now, and I’m not a fan one bit. It’s like kids need their egos stroked and want to feel wanted and recruited again. Sad times
well thats the world of college fb. you get a sales pitch from coaches that most often is exaggerated and probably misleading to get you to sign on to the program to later learn that you aren't nearly as important or talented as what you were told in recruiting. its a hard reality for young kids and they dont seem to learn from each other's mistakes. so yes i would at least 1 if not 2 transfers and i think they are justified. kids want to play. they dont want to wait until their senior year. obviously, like in this case, circumstances change after a kid signs and they are entitled to have a reaction to the action. if coaches are going to prioritize the "quick fix" approach over the development of younger players then they will have to endure the consequences of their choice. the reality is the transfer portal may be more about the coaches attitudes than the players. the players are just responding to what the coaches are doing.

ADVERTISEMENT