ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers fans?

Steelers fan, but I'll admit, the last 3 years, with 2 young kids, I've not followed the Steelers/NFL like I have college. I don't get the feeling he is done, but he was crying on the sidelines afterwards, you you never know.

But I do think at the very least that the Steelers need to be serious about finding a replacement, as at best Big Been has a few years left. And lets be real. Mason Rudolph is nothing more than a backup, and free agency doesn't look the best for qb's.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Time for Big Ben to hang it up? Will count 41 million against the cap next year. And the Steelers are already over the cap. I say yes. He is done. He's not Brees, A-Rod or Brady who are still playing at a high level in late 30s and early 40s.

I sorta disagree on Brees, though I'm not sure how healthy he is. He kinda lobs a bunch of balls around anymore. I'd be surprised if he's back next year.

Yeah Brees said he will retire. When I watch him, he's got this scared, worried look on his face most of the time.

They talked Brees out of retirment this year and they shouldn't have....once your mind goes there after you've been in the league as long as he has it's over.

As far as Ben goes.... if they still had Brown and Bell this would be a harder choice but since they do not and there is no way they are going to keep pace with the emerging teams in the AFC, I say you start the rebuild now. Doesn't do you any good to go 8-8 or even 9-7 cause if you are the Steelers you play for titles and that window was slammed shut by Cleveland last night.

Reactions: baseball31ne
I sorta disagree on Brees, though I'm not sure how healthy he is. He kinda lobs a bunch of balls around anymore. I'd be surprised if he's back next year.

I think Drew is still able to give the Saints a good performance most of the time, but I think he is showing his age and can't do it for an entire season. He will be on NBC next year. I think Ben is toast. I've read where he is not committed to conditioning himself in the off season like Brady, Brees and Aaron are. He should retire along with Philip Rivers

Steelers fan, but I'll admit, the last 3 years, with 2 young kids, I've not followed the Steelers/NFL like I have college. I don't get the feeling he is done, but he was crying on the sidelines afterwards, you you never know.

But I do think at the very least that the Steelers need to be serious about finding a replacement, as at best Big Been has a few years left. And lets be real. Mason Rudolph is nothing more than a backup, and free agency doesn't look the best for qb's.
Steelers guy too....I’m actually on board w the belief it may be end of the Maurkice Pouncey era at C, hence the tears by Ben at the end of that game . I think Ben can still play, but it’s apparent they will need to work out the salary issues. And they absolutely need to put some kind of running game together to take some pressure off Ben.
Draft some OL that can actually run block and you fire Randy Finchter! He stinks as a play caller . There’s other issues for sure but when a guy throws for 500 yards and 4 scores he’s not just fallen off a cliff . All that said they do need to get either a bridge to the future or trade for one of the QBs who may be available (Sam Darnold)?
No easy answers for the Steelers...

I'm not sure on Ben tbh. Especially considering we will have a complete overhaul next year anyways and have no shot at a SB. So it's kinda like why pay a guy THAT kinda money when you don't have a shot anyways.

FWIW I don't agree on the Brees narrative though. Imo he isn't any better than Ben is. He has Kamara to hand the ball to and throw to. He has everything needed to succeed at an advanced age. My guess is if he had Bens run game he wouldn't look any better.

These older QBs can still play but they need help.

Holla

Steelers guy too....I’m actually on board w the belief it may be end of the Maurkice Pouncey era at C, hence the tears by Ben at the end of that game . I think Ben can still play, but it’s apparent they will need to work out the salary issues. And they absolutely need to put some kind of running game together to take some pressure off Ben.
Draft some OL that can actually run block and you fire Randy Finchter! He stinks as a play caller . There’s other issues for sure but when a guy throws for 500 yards and 4 scores he’s not just fallen off a cliff . All that said they do need to get either a bridge to the future or trade for one of the QBs who may be available (Sam Darnold)?

Damn you been watching the same Steelers I have this year. Agree completely on all points. Especially Fichtner. Should let him pack his bags last night. Also our OL has collectively gotten worse every sense Munchak went to Denver. Surratt needs to replaced also. ...and FINALLY will we draft something other than a 225-235 pound back with mid 4.6 speed and let him PLAY. It's like they have something against BIG FAST backs. Then draft a guy like McFarland and rarely give him a shot. Instead opting for RBs like Connor and Snell who can't out run lbs. So frustrating.

Holla

Damn you been watching the same Steelers I have this year. Agree completely on all points. Especially Fichtner. Should let him pack his bags last night. Also our OL has collectively gotten worse every sense Munchak went to Denver. Surratt needs to replaced also. ...and FINALLY will we draft something other than a 225-235 pound back with mid 4.6 speed and let him PLAY. It's like they have something against BIG FAST backs. Then draft a guy like McFarland and rarely give him a shot. Instead opting for RBs like Connor and Snell who can't out run lbs. So frustrating.

Holla
Agree about Munchak. If MTomlins contract is not renewed he is the first call I make for HC in Pittsburgh . There is gonna be some rough decisions in the off season . I see the end of joe Haden , Mike Hilton, Bud Dupree, Tyson Alualu, Alejandro V, Just to name a few . Hopefully they can hang on to Cam Sutton, and hopefully JuJu... their in a bad spot Salary cap wise

Ben can still play. But the whole situation is tough, as said. Still don’t get why Tomlin punted on 4th and 1 on first play of fourth quarter. Convert there and get TD to pull within a possession, and we may be talking about Buffalo prep instead. Oh well, the team was a shell of itself by season’s end anyway. This team was so impressive to watch at the start of the season.

Reactions: Dean Pope
Agree about Munchak. If MTomlins contract is not renewed he is the first call I make for HC in Pittsburgh . There is gonna be some rough decisions in the off season . I see the end of joe Haden , Mike Hilton, Bud Dupree, Tyson Alualu, Alejandro V, Just to name a few . Hopefully they can hang on to Cam Sutton, and hopefully JuJu... their in a bad spot Salary cap wise

Personally I hope they find a way to keep Hilton or Sutton. Hilton is the best nickel in the league and may be too much to afford. Sutton may however be more affordable. I expect Bud, Juju, Villy, Filer, ,Connors, and at least one of Sutton/Hilton to move on. Vince Williams or Haden or even Ben could be salary cap cuts also.

Holla

Like Phillip Rivers, respectively it’s time for Ben to go.
I would hate to see Pittsburgh waste their stable of young receivers with someone who can’t get it down field.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Our Steelers finished 1-5 down the stretch if I recall. And the win was a game where the team looked like crap for the first half. Plus the previous win before that was a 19-14 win over a depleted Ravens squad missing about all of their best players. The Steelers offense was painful to watch. I hated it.

Moving forward, they have a lot of cap issues. The Steeler way is to bring back your own guys at reasonable deals, let older players move on, and build through the draft rather than overpaying to bring in free agents.

Roethlisberger is barely a starting caliber QB at this point and not worth $41 million. I doubt that he would want to play for much less than that. Reading his body language down the stretch, he's pretty much only in it for the money at this point. Not sure what the cap hit would be for cutting Ben, but something needs to be done. If Ben would restructure to stay on for one more year I would go along with that. I'm assuming that his knee injury really affecting his play. That could help the Steelers use this year or next year to find a new QB.

I like JuJu's toughness, but if he gets a big offer elsewhere they have to let him go. Same thing with Feiler. Dobson is already better than he is. Villanueva walks, resign Banner. Let Connor go, draft a replacement. This might be the year to buck the trend and draft an RB in the 1st round if someone falls.

The Steelers defense is championship caliber when everyone is healthy and they are young. But I think they let DuPree walk due to the huge contract he'll command plus the injury issues and Highsmith ready to replace him. Alualu had a good year. He'll get better offers elsewhere. Bringing back Sutton and Hilton would be more important but they both had good years-- it only takes one team to throw out a ridiculous offer. I don't see the Steelers signing both of those guys. It's a coin flip as far as which one they do sign. Hilton is a great slot corner and blitzer. Sutton could be a starter at corner for the next five years.

Would be shocked to see Tomlin let go. Munchak was mentioned in a few of the currently open HC positions, but those sluts are filling in quickly. And he's 60.

Would be shocked to see Tomlin let go. Munchak was mentioned in a few of the currently open HC positions, but those sluts are filling in quickly. And he's 60.
Tomlin is one of the most respected coaches in football. Hard to see him going anywhere, especially given the Steelers' history of coaching longevity. If he ever did leave the Steelers, I would be very happy to see him take over the head coaching position at Nebraska IF Frost were to be fired.

Reactions: Bart Man
Ben should be done. He is not mobile enough anymore to avoid blitzes and sacks.

Tomlin is very good and needs to be under contract. He has done more with bad situations of injuries and contract holdouts than many other head coaches. If he is ever let go he wouldn’t be unemployed long.

Tomlin needs to get the team back to a more steeler mindset. The offense being last or near last in rushing shouldn’t happen. Changes the team to be that pass happy. The line needs to get better and the mindset has to change

Upgrading assistants is needed. Some have been let go, good. It’s a start.

Reactions: the24fan
Steelers are in purgatory... Not bad enough to get a high pick and grab a new QB but not good enough to win anything

They finished with the 4th worst rushing attack in the 88 year history of the franchise. Without Ben they win 5 games this year. If they were average running the ball they would be still playing this weekend. Ben has to do it all, and he knows it. Throw in that Fichtner was horrible and you get what happened at the end. When teams adjusted to his quick short pass scheme, he had no answer, no adjustments.

Ben needs to be extended 1 or 2 (voidable) years to get some cap relief for 2021. Let him take another crack at it because the defense can still be top 10 with what they have coming back, even minus Bud. The 0-line needs new blood, probably a new RB and a good young TE in the draft. Even with all that I have a hard time believing that the new OC(whoever it is) can get them out of the bottom 4 in the league I’m rushing, which is where they have been the last 3 years.

When Ben leaves I think they give Rudolph a shot(a prediction, not my hope). If he fails they go all in for a new young QB after that.

I think Conner, Villanueva, Dupree, Feiler and Hilton are the only starters who are gone for sure. I think they attempt to keep Juju. Banner, Alaulu and Sutton should stick.

They fired Finchter two days ago. Matt Canada is expected to be promoted to replace him.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...ffensive-coordinator/ar-BB1cOMKi?ocid=DELLDHP

They finished with the 4th worst rushing attack in the 88 year history of the franchise. Without Ben they win 5 games this year. If they were average running the ball they would be still playing this weekend. Ben has to do it all, and he knows it. Throw in that Fichtner was horrible and you get what happened at the end. When teams adjusted to his quick short pass scheme, he had no answer, no adjustments.

Ben needs to be extended 1 or 2 (voidable) years to get some cap relief for 2021. Let him take another crack at it because the defense can still be top 10 with what they have coming back, even minus Bud. The 0-line needs new blood, probably a new RB and a good young TE in the draft. Even with all that I have a hard time believing that the new OC(whoever it is) can get them out of the bottom 4 in the league I’m rushing, which is where they have been the last 3 years.

When Ben leaves I think they give Rudolph a shot(a prediction, not my hope). If he fails they go all in for a new young QB after that.

I think Conner, Villanueva, Dupree, Feiler and Hilton are the only starters who are gone for sure. I think they attempt to keep Juju. Banner, Alaulu and Sutton should stick.
I’m not sure I would bring back Alualu . He really tailed off at the end of the year. I would actually get Carl Davis ready to jump up there. He has potential and youth on his side . Agree about the rest . Rebuild starts up front .
you go with Okorafor, Dotson , pouncey, DeCastro, and Banner . Draft some OL and get Ettiene in the 2nd round of he is still there . No easy answers but watching KC and Cleveland today tells me Pit has a long way to go .
Oh and Tomlin won’t be fired anytime soon. He’s a great coach , not his fault guys have aged and dropped off in production.
They do need to get back to that physical running it down your throat style Pittsburgh is famous for .

Reactions: timinatoria
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT