ADVERTISEMENT

Stating the obvious but ..

So you're hoping the team flops this year based on wanting SF gone?
huh? your post doesn't make any sense. I have said nothing like that.

I replied to Redcaps super optimistic post about how we are going to be a very different team this year.. and I call BS on that.

Why? because you had an opportunity to show that we would be a very different team, and we didn't look at all like a different team. We looked like the same shitty team on O.

In no way am I wanting a bad result, I am merely pointing out foolish posters who can't use their eyes and see that nothing has really changed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gary.Busey
I think most of us has checked out. It would be nice if Frost could actually start to build something. We all want it. It doesn't have to be Frost. But it would be nice if he did succeed. He probably should have been fired after underperforming for 4 straight years. It's kind of exciting that we are able to get some talent upgrade at positions that Frost was having problems recruiting. Casey Thompson has such a low bar to meet that he will be an improvement. if Frost can't find a way to win in Year 5, can we really justify any more of this losing?
Trust me - there will be several justifiers…

yet they did enough to win every game on the schedule last year. we could start the debate again about offense vs defense, but if you watch the games, you will see the defense needing to bail out a crummy offense time and time again. Give the D a comparable O and we look much different last year. That being said, Id like to see more turnovers, but overall, I liked the Defense

Exactly. With our offense & special teams our defense was carrying almost everything.

I think the key to the whole season will be if Thompson proves to be a huge upgrade over AM, just in terms of eliminating almost all of the costly, unforced mistakes. If Thompson plays subpar and makes bonehead mistakes, NU likely goes 6-6.

I wonder how long it will take for Wynn to figure out if there really is a difference between Scott Frost and Nick Saban.
CT can only throw long bombs, but we aren't going to be able to live on that. I like our chances better under Purdy and even better chances if Scott would just leave and let Joseph and Whipple run the offense.

The defense is going to be very good. We even saw that in the spring game, Chins had them ready to play. People can say the spring game doesn't mean anything, but you can tell that the defense was well coached and ready, while the offense was neither of those things. Same crap as last year.

So, tell that to the players who went through conditioning and then fought for spots on two deep and then there are those who were either told about the handwriting or saw it themselves and left. How does one get better? You practice, perfect practice to be exact. The spring game is the culmination of all of that off field and on field work but yet it is "super irrelevant." hmmm
Positions are won and lost in practice, not the irrelevant spring game. Sorry, super irrelevant spring game.

Positions are won and lost in practice, not the irrelevant spring game. Sorry, super irrelevant spring game.
you can absolutely see how the units look and work together, or not. Doesn't have to be individual analysis.

the team this Fall really will be a very different team with the change in offensive coaches (especially a new OC), the new special teams coach and now all those many new players on the team joining through portal transfers or normal recruiting. Amazing roster turnover we haven't seen for a long, long time. NOW that doesn't necessarily mean better results are guaranteed - could be much better results or not much change in results. Only the Fall games will tell. But it does seem hard to believe that it could be worse from a pure W-L record perspective, The real question you'd think is how much better will or can it be. And that's why we'll watch the games.
I’m a diehard husker fan and only want to see us get back to dominance.

This year feels different with the transfer portal players. I think Coach Frost realized this year is probably the last chance and Trev Alberts most likely had a heart-to-heart with Scott presenting the facts. Not almost there or the best practice he’s seen, but like really given the cold hard facts and ultimatum.

I want Coach Frost to succeed and it looks as he’s a different guy now. I know he loved his friends, and loyalty (especially in football) is very important. But letting go of your friend who worked before as a golf pro or credit union as coordinator wasn’t what we needed.

So many coaching mistakes that matters in a game of inches before could turn this team around with the right moral.

In my opinion, this team should be pretty good. DL is good, QB, WR, RB good. O-line, linebacker and safety is where I’m concerned.

Last edited:
You bet, ultra competitive players who all have something to prove are just going through thr motions of irrelevance. Turn off the competitive juiced just like that.

The game itself, meaningless in the outcome, but players want to.be noticed with a great block, run, or catch. It's important to them 100%.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
So you're hoping the team flops this year based on wanting SF gone? I view it differently, I hope it all jells and this is a new start moving forward. I'm tired of next man up only to get more of the same as we've seen time and time again. Just win!
I’m honestly torn on this. Husker football has sucked for so many years that another crap year added onto this long string of sh*t really doesn’t matter. I’m puzzled about how many people think Scott is going to “reinvent” himself in year 5 and somehow become a great head football coach?!?! In my opinion, this guy has clearly shown he cannot get it done at this level.

What scares me is that he ekes out a 6-7 win season with other “close “games that many view as victories and we hang onto a subpar head coach that much longer. Then he continues to improve to a perennial 8 to 9 win head coach for the foreseeable future.

Sorry if that makes me a hater, but that is not what I want to see in the Husker program I follow.

It would be gross incompetence if this isn’t an eight win team that at worst finishes second in the West given the recent portal additions.
This^^^ Vegas already has the U/O at 7.5
SF has already finished UNDER for wins 4 straight years of what Vegas pre season predictions have been.

This season sets up almost perfect for SF and crew to win 8 plus games.

The easy part of the schedule is first which gives the new players and coaches time to gel, AKA time to make some mistakes and STILL win some games before the hard part of the schedule hits (Last 4 games of the season). Team and coaches should be hitting their stride or be playing well by the time the hard portion of the schedule hits.

OU has a new coach, not only a new coach, but a 1st time EVER head coach in Venables.

I mean..looking at this schedule, we could win 8 games and not have beaten a single team that will finished ranked in the top 25. That is how easy the schedule is compared to last year.

the team this Fall really will be a very different team with the change in offensive coaches (especially a new OC), the new special teams coach and now all those many new players on the team joining through portal transfers or normal recruiting. Amazing roster turnover we haven't seen for a long, long time. NOW that doesn't necessarily mean better results are guaranteed - could be much better results or not much change in results. Only the Fall games will tell. But it does seem hard to believe that it could be worse from a pure W-L record perspective, The real question you'd think is how much better will or can it be. And that's why we'll watch the games.
If Frost doesn't truly give up control of play calling then none of this will matter. I refuse to buy into any hype until I see it on the field. Been watching this show on repeat too many times at this point.

I hope we show massive improvement but I'm not expecting anything at this point.

Reactions: Lincoln100
I’m honestly torn on this. Husker football has sucked for so many years that another crap year added onto this long string of sh*t really doesn’t matter. I’m puzzled about how many people think Scott is going to “reinvent” himself in year 5 and somehow become a great head football coach?!?! In my opinion, this guy has clearly shown he cannot get it done at this level.

What scares me is that he ekes out a 6-7 win season with other “close “games that many view as victories and we hang onto a subpar head coach that much longer. Then he continues to improve to a perennial 8 to 9 win head coach for the foreseeable future.

Sorry if that makes me a hater, but that is not what I want to see in the Husker program I follow.
I am of the same thought process ^^^^

It is probably better for NU as a program if SF falls flat on his face, or just doesnt quite win enough to be retained and we make a change after this year. Better for the program as I dont see a world where SF grows a brain and becomes a good coach all of a sudden. History shows us that good coaches would have shown themselves to be good coaches in 2-4 years. Heck it only took Franklin 2 years to show he was a good coach at Vandy and that place is a dumpster 🔥.

With NIL and now without the yearly cap of 25 players, a new coach can rebuild a team in his vision fairly quickly now and find success (if he is a good coach). There are none of these nonsensical 7 year rebuilds or even 5 year rebuilds. Those time tables were NEVER a thing anyway no matter how much NU fans wanted to give SF that much time. College football and program expectations of success changed when Stoops won a Natty at OU in his 2nd year as they should have. In all reality, SF should have been let go after year 3 when he had his third straight losing season.

And yeah covid is no excuse either to give him more time. Both Kevin Sumlin at Arizona and Jeremy Pruitt At Tennessee were let go after their 3rd years (which was the exact same time period SF had at NU) and neither AZ or Tenn gave either of those coaches any slack cuz of covid. And Pruitt actually won 8 games his 2nd year and still was let go after 3 years. I would consider Tenn a peer program, but AZ as sad as it seems, has higher expectations right now then NU does..and AZ is NOT a peer program..

Lets be honest here: Even if he wins say 8 games..the schedule is pretty easy and we may not even beat a single team ranked in the final top 25 to get to 8 wins..So what would that really have proved? What would SF really have proved? That he can barely eek out 8 wins vs a soft schedule and it took him 5 years to do it? This is Nebraska not Vanderbilt or Kansas. That is simply not good enough. If RIley and Callahan were expected to win 9 games in year 4 and 5 of their tenures and Bo' winning 9 a year wasnt good enough...then SF winning 8 as his high water mark in year 5 should no way in HELL be good enough to keep his job.

Say he does win 8, is retained, then goes right back to 6 wins the next year (which I would fully expect he would)...is that it? Is he gone then? Or did the 8 wins buy him two more years? I am terrified of getting caught in Frost purgatory.

Simply put. SF makes way too many bad decisions as a HC. With him it is always one step forward and two steps back. Always since he got here.

I'm not disagreeing with you, it feels different this year. People were arguing after the game last year on whether Frost should be fired or not, and there was still a contigent that said he needed more time and there was a discussion on what Trev would do. Going into this year, with Frost's adjusted contract and everything... there is no grey area. It's literally his last chance to prove it and everyone knows it. NW was important last year, obviously. I just think this year is on another level.
Of course there is grey area; there is going to be plenty of disagreement on what "prove it" means. Those who said frost deserved more time will say 7 wins this year proves it, those who have had enough will say he hasn't proven anything.

Agree. I am hopeful TA told frost that the team better impress the hell out of him if he wants to be back. I trust Frost is contributing a truck load of money to the collective because paying talent to come play for him seems to be the only thing that can save his job.

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT