ADVERTISEMENT

Stating the obvious but ..

RedCap

Nebraska Legend
Sep 29, 2001
the team this Fall really will be a very different team with the change in offensive coaches (especially a new OC), the new special teams coach and now all those many new players on the team joining through portal transfers or normal recruiting. Amazing roster turnover we haven't seen for a long, long time. NOW that doesn't necessarily mean better results are guaranteed - could be much better results or not much change in results. Only the Fall games will tell. But it does seem hard to believe that it could be worse from a pure W-L record perspective, The real question you'd think is how much better will or can it be. And that's why we'll watch the games.

I know it's kind of hyberbole at this point, but it's been a while since we've had a game as important as NW is to start this year. No team's season is defined by the 1st game, but man... if we come out slow and don't perform right out of the gates it's going to be the biggest gut punch.
we lost to illinois to start last year.

took less than a half to define the season, when our terrible, careless quarterback handed them a fumble anyone on this board could've scooped & scored on.

season over before the calendar hit September.

so, it's been about 8 months since we've had an opener as important as NW is this year.

took less than a half to define the season, when our terrible, careless quarterback handed them a fumble anyone on this board could've scooped & scored on.

so, it's been about 8 months since we've had an opener as important as NW is this year.
I'm not disagreeing with you, it feels different this year. People were arguing after the game last year on whether Frost should be fired or not, and there was still a contigent that said he needed more time and there was a discussion on what Trev would do. Going into this year, with Frost's adjusted contract and everything... there is no grey area. It's literally his last chance to prove it and everyone knows it. NW was important last year, obviously. I just think this year is on another level.

I'm not disagreeing with you, it feels different this year. People were arguing after the game last year on whether Frost should be fired or not, and there was still a contigent that said he needed more time and there was a discussion on what Trev would do. Going into this year, with Frost's adjusted contract and everything... there is no grey area. It's literally his last chance to prove it and everyone knows it. NW was important last year, obviously. I just think this year is on another level.
I don't care about Frost's future. I care about Nebraska. I sure as hell hope they're playing for Nebraska and not for the coach.

this I agree with

I posted over and over again prior to last year that 2021 would be a wash - no personnel changes (especially at QB), basically the exact same team that won 3 games the year before.

there was no reason to expect better outcomes last year just because those same players/coaches had more time in their seats. I even went as far as saying Haarberg should've started week 0 since the season's outcome wouldn't determine Frost's fate, so why not build for 2022.

it is absolutely time to win or never be welcome in your home state ever again for Frost.

Reactions: BleedRed78

That fumble was inexcusable. period.

But for me the season was pretty much over with CTB’s punt return “demonstration.”

That play told me everything I needed to know about how the team prepped in the off season…

then AM’s fumble confirmed the team was grossly ill-prepared.

The apparent upgrade in talent is hard to believe - but it’s not automatic that the coaches can figure out how to mesh all of these guys together.

I’ll be optimistic though, until shown otherwise. Like last year, when we fielded a punt for a safety, missed 2 extra points, had 30 yards of penalties on one play, a scoop 6, then halftime of the first game.

I know it's kind of hyberbole at this point, but it's been a while since we've had a game as important as NW is to start this year. No team's season is defined by the 1st game, but man... if we come out slow and don't perform right out of the gates it's going to be the biggest gut punch.
I disagree. There was one that was just as important last year. In fact I think if we flop again this season and Frost gets fired, we’ll look back and say Illinois 2021 was the most important game of his tenure.

the team this Fall really will be a very different team with the change in offensive coaches (especially a new OC), the new special teams coach and now all those many new players on the team joining through portal transfers or normal recruiting. Amazing roster turnover we haven't seen for a long, long time. NOW that doesn't necessarily mean better results are guaranteed - could be much better results or not much change in results. Only the Fall games will tell. But it does seem hard to believe that it could be worse from a pure W-L record perspective, The real question you'd think is how much better will or can it be. And that's why we'll watch the games.
I would have thought that the Spring Game would have been an important dry run for Whipple running the actual offense.

what we got, was something much different.

I guess I'm not sure how anyone could now expect a 'new' Whipple run offense, when it wasn't 'his' during the spring game.

Add to that the potential schedule changes (not sure what the B1G is doing there) and it's hard to know what to expect, other than we did get some good recruits and transfers in.

Reactions: king_kong_
I would have thought that the Spring Game would have been an important dry run for Whipple running the actual offense.

I guess I'm not sure how anyone could now expect a 'new' Whipple run offense, when it wasn't 'his' during the spring game.

Add to that the potential schedule changes (not sure what the B1G is doing there) and it's hard to know what to expect, other than we did get some good recruits and transfers in.
IMO the Spring Game offense was intentionally vanilla because they didn't want to give away anything. Don't think it was representative. Probably looking at last year's Pitt offense would be more revealing. Guess we'll see in the fall.

Reactions: GaRed
The grey area is 6-6.

IMO the Spring Game offense was intentionally vanilla because they didn't want to give away anything. Don't think it was representative. Probably looking at last year's Pitt offense would be more revealing. Guess we'll see in the fall.
and that is exactly the point... it's another "Frostism".. any opponent can go out and look at Pitt's offensive film last year... just what exactly would we be 'giving away'???

this is the kind of bs that Scott comes up with over and over and over again.. and we could have used the 'game day atmosphere' for an actual trial run of the new OC, so that we GET BETTER.

I can't wait till Scott is removed from the program so we can actually start taking steps to improve.

Reactions: InMotion

I think most of us has checked out. It would be nice if Frost could actually start to build something. We all want it. It doesn't have to be Frost. But it would be nice if he did succeed. He probably should have been fired after underperforming for 4 straight years. It's kind of exciting that we are able to get some talent upgrade at positions that Frost was having problems recruiting. Casey Thompson has such a low bar to meet that he will be an improvement. if Frost can't find a way to win in Year 5, can we really justify any more of this losing?

and that is exactly the point... it's another "Frostism".. any opponent can go out and look at Pitt's offensive film last year... just what exactly would we be 'giving away'???

this is the kind of bs that Scott comes up with over and over and over again.. and we could have used the 'game day atmosphere' for an actual trial run of the new OC, so that we GET BETTER.

I can't wait till Scott is removed from the program so we can actually start taking steps to improve.
I don't think ANYBODY is happy with Frost's record here to date. But the reality is that he will be the head coach in the Fall so it serves little purpose to complain more about him right now. Complaints, praise or other opinions about him will be made more timely in the Fall.

The team in the Fall, whether for good or bad, will have a different look given all the coaching/player turnover. And that's the point of my post.

What potential schedule change?

Only thing will be discussed is whether to scrap divisions and have the two highest winning percentage teams play in the Big 10 CCG…

The real question you'd think is how much better will or can it be. And that's why we'll watch the games.
I think this team is going to struggle early in the season. When so many changes are made, it takes time to get everything and everybody up to speed. And on top of that, Scott Frost's teams haven't played well out of the gate. Stupid mistakes, poor tackling, etc.

I do think that the team should be better this year. I'm hoping that they get an ugly win or two early, gain some momentum. Pull an upset at some point. They could have a decent year.

I have to agree with most of this. People that think going vanilla will give teams an advantage are nuts. Good teams prepare for everything.

Frost led teams, take Illinois last year, can't seem to adjust between an even or odd man front. That isn't even HS coaching, that goes back to JH or earlier.

It's called coaching and we really should try it sometime, I hear it really does work.

Last edited:
As much as I wonder why I hate to admit this, Scott needed the Whipple addition. Nobody can argue Scott's pedigree, his reputation in the ranks, or his fire. Whipple may be the secret sauce here for us. I also think it's important to note Chin's dedication. He could go anywhere, but he sees something here, in Frost, and the future.

Good things are in the works.

As much as I wonder why I hate to admit this, Scott needed the Whipple addition. Nobody can argue Scott's pedigree, his reputation in the ranks, or his fire. Whipple may be the secret sauce here for us. I also think it's important to note Chin's dedication. He could go anywhere, but he sees something here, in Frost, and the future.

Good things are in the works.

over the last 4 years our defense has ranked in the bottom half of the big ten - going from last year to 2018

8th
7th
9th
12th

(scoring defense)

how can one conclude that Chins could have gone anywhere?

Last edited:
over the last 4 years our defense has ranked in the bottom half of the big ten - going from last year to 2018

8th
7th
9th
12th

(scoring defense)

yet they did enough to win every game on the schedule last year. we could start the debate again about offense vs defense, but if you watch the games, you will see the defense needing to bail out a crummy offense time and time again. Give the D a comparable O and we look much different last year. That being said, Id like to see more turnovers, but overall, I liked the Defense

8th
7th
9th
12th

(scoring defense)

How many short fields did the opposition score on after a stupid turnover or a shitty punt? How many of that PPG average were scoop and scores and/or punt and kick returns. We have had a more than capable defense for a couple years now. We obviously need to work on getting more turnovers/sacks, but what team doesn't? If you made a top 5 list of reasons for our record the last few years, the defense wouldn't be on it.

How many short fields did the opposition score on after a stupid turnover or a shitty punt? How many of that PPG average were scoop and scores and/or punt and kick returns. We have had a more than capable defense for a couple years now. We obviously need to work on getting more turnovers/sacks, but what team doesn't? If you made a top 5 list of reasons for our record the last few years, the defense wouldn't be on it.
I didn’t say the defense was the primary reason for the record .. I pushed back on the claim that our defense was so stout that our defensive coordinator “could go anywhere” … which is a laughable assertion

the defense has been serviceable at best - top programs aren’t lining up to hire Chins

Last edited:
I didn’t say the defense was the primary reason for the record .. I pushed back on the claim that our defense was so stout that our defensive coordinator “could go anywhere” … which is a laughable assertion

the defense has been serviceable at best - top programs aren’t lining up to hire Chins
Unlike Greg Austin, Chins could actually go somewhere else decent and potentially do just as well or even better than he's done here. Just to offer a comparison

Unlike Greg Austin, Chins could actually go somewhere else decent and potentially do just as well or even better than he's done here. Just to offer a comparison
The offensive line was terrible, however over the last 4 years we were ranked

9.5 in the conference in sacks allowed/game and

8.5 in the conference in sacks per game

People are overestimating the quality of the defense because of how truly awful the offense has been

Reactions: Boiler_B

So you're hoping the team flops this year based on wanting SF gone? I view it differently, I hope it all jells and this is a new start moving forward. I'm tired of next man up only to get more of the same as we've seen time and time again. Just win!

With respect to the '22 schedule. So far, it hasn't made a difference if NU was playing in Lincoln or on the road. Comparing the '22 vs. '21 schedule, these are really the changes.

Trading Fordham and Buffalo for North Dakota and Ga Southern should yield the same 2 wins for NU as last year.

Other than the home and home games, this year NU has switched Ohio State and Michigan State for Rutgers and Indiana. So "on paper" NU could have a shot at 2-0 vs. last year's 0-2.

Bottom line, NU finished the year losing 6 in a row and 7 of their last 8. Any team prone to going off on more than a 2-3 loss string will be difficult to string together 2-3-4-5 wins in a row.

If NU goes 4-4 in the conference, and 3-1 in the non-conference they would finish 7-5. It would be important if NU could take care of Ind, Pur, NW, Rut, Ill, Mn, they could squeeze out a 8-4. But history has shown NU unable under Frost to string anything good together.

7-5 or worse and SF needs to be gone.

I think the key to the whole season will be if Thompson proves to be a huge upgrade over AM, just in terms of eliminating almost all of the costly, unforced mistakes. If Thompson plays subpar and makes bonehead mistakes, NU likely goes 6-6.

I wonder how long it will take for Wynn to figure out if there really is a difference between Scott Frost and Nick Saban.

Last edited:

He transferred, he can't hurt you anymore. It will be ok.

Spring game is super irrelevant.

The offensive line was terrible, however over the last 4 years we were ranked

9.5 in the conference in sacks allowed/game and

8.5 in the conference in sacks per game

People are overestimating the quality of the defense because of how truly awful the offense has been
you could seek for the remainder of your miserable life and fail to find a single person who thinks our pass rush is now good or has ever been good under Chinander

Spring game is super irrelevant.
So, tell that to the players who went through conditioning and then fought for spots on two deep and then there are those who were either told about the handwriting or saw it themselves and left. How does one get better? You practice, perfect practice to be exact. The spring game is the culmination of all of that off field and on field work but yet it is "super irrelevant." hmmm

The apparent upgrade in talent is hard to believe - but it’s not automatic that the coaches can figure out how to mesh all of these guys together.

I’ll be optimistic though, until shown otherwise. Like last year, when we fielded a punt for a safety, missed 2 extra points, had 30 yards of penalties on one play, a scoop 6, then halftime of the first game.
Ditto! Scott Frost has brought in the best talent in the West every single year - except 2021. He either couldn’t keep them around, coach, or develop them. Many lesser athletic talent teams have beaten him for years. New coaches are the hope now.

ADVERTISEMENT