ADVERTISEMENT

Statement from Nebraska Chancellor/President......

1NebrFan

Walk On
Dec 3, 2004
Statement by University of Nebraska-Lincoln Chancellor Ronnie Green and University of Nebraska System President Ted Carter:

“The University of Nebraska-Lincoln is a fully committed member of the Big Ten Conference. It is an unparalleled athletic and academic alliance.

We have the greatest fans in college athletics. This has been a difficult and disappointing week for the Husker family. We all look forward to the day when we can cheer on our student-athletes, on the field and in the arena.”

This is the best thing for Nebraska going forward, this goes beyond sports, but academically this is important. It really sucks that there won’t be fall sports and it’s a huge loss of money not only for the university, but for a lot of other people, but in the long term, this is the right decision.

The question now is did the B1G make the right decision canceling the fall season if the ACC, SEC and Big 12 successfully complete the season playing 3 months..

The question now is did the B1G make the right decision canceling the fall season if the ACC, SEC and Big 12 successfully complete the season playing 3 months..

There's going to be no universal right or wrong decision here. Its going to be a "right decision for us" or whatever.

Edit: I think the general expectation is that no one is going to make a full schedule this year. So that factors in.

Edit: There were some unattributed interviews with various conference sources (not just in the B1G) saying that it would be worse to start and then stop rather than just never go.

Reactions: FrostedScottyOs
There's going to be no universal right or wrong decision here. Its going to be a "right decision for us" or whatever.

Edit: I think the general expectation is that no one is going to make a full schedule this year. So that factors in.

Edit: There were some unattributed interviews with various conference sources saying that it would be worse to start and then stop rather than just never go.
“Right decision for us” has been taken away.

Reactions: HuskerDana
Yes and no is about the best way to put it. Sure those conferences will play, but I don’t see a full getting played before it’s canceled due to outbreaks on teams.
I know the virus isn’t deadly, but you can’t ignore the long term affects that it can have on the lungs and heart, and it would be sad to see playing careers ruined over something that could have been prevented.
It’s a cluster**** no matter which way you look at it.

Yes and no is about the best way to put it. Sure those conferences will play, but I don’t see a full getting played before it’s canceled due to outbreaks on teams.
I know the virus isn’t deadly, but you can’t ignore the long term affects that it can have on the lungs and heart, and it would be sad to see playing careers ruined over something that could have been prevented.
:rolleyes:

If CFB survives, then yes, we likely will see you next fall.

But if we are being honest about the virus and the concerns as the reason for cancelling, then theres no way to play next fall, either.

But still, see you next fall. Because this is all 100% bullshit.

I wouldn't lose your shit. The federal administration has been pointing to the spring as the source of all hope, and the nation more or less has that ingrained now. I don't think the spring will be panacea.

But it will give Biden/Trump the opportunity to realign expectations, which may well be "we're just living with it" and businesses and sports and etc will act appropriately.

Now they are just waiting out the clock.

What about the long term effects of concussions? Or does that not bother you?

[QUOTE="jflores, post: 6145909, member: 4322]

Edit: I think the general expectation is that no one is going to make a full schedule this year. So that factors in.[/QUOTE]

That has not been proven yet and you can’t assume that till those 3 decide to shut it down.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I wouldn't lose your shit. The federal administration has been pointing to the spring as source of the source of all hope, and the nation more or less has that ingrained now. I don't think the spring will be panacea.

But it will give Biden/Trump the opportunity to realign expectations, which may well be "we're just living with it" and businesses and sports and etc will act appropriately.

Now they are just waiting out the clock.
I dont even know where to start with this take. You and I do not live in the same world.
Be well.

[QUOTE="jflores, post: 6145909, member: 4322]

That has not been proven yet and you can’t assume that till those 3 decide to shut it down.[/QUOTE]

That's more for the "egg on your face" factor. Everyone is crowing about how bad the B1G will look because the B12 will go out and mash a full schedule in their face, but Bowlsby hasn't been particularly stalwart in his public pronouncements and who knows what's he's telling Warren behind closed doors.

Reactions: TheBeav815
It wasn't taken. We signed the paperwork offering them the right to make the choice 10 years ago.
You and I are arguing different things in this discussion.
Are you saying the Big ten could not have done what the (big?) south did?
Further Are you saying that the big ten could not have played this season?
I am not arguing the rights of the conference.

This is the wrong decision for Nebraska. None of your various “shut up and take it” posts change that.

Reactions: GammaxuvirHusker
Statement by University of Nebraska-Lincoln Chancellor Ronnie Green and University of Nebraska System President Ted Carter:

“The University of Nebraska-Lincoln is a fully committed member of the Big Ten Conference. It is an unparalleled athletic and academic alliance.

We have the greatest fans in college athletics. This has been a difficult and disappointing week for the Husker family. We all look forward to the day when we can cheer on our student-athletes, on the field and in the arena.”
There we go. That's all that needed to be done.

That has not been proven yet and you can’t assume that till those 3 decide to shut it down.

That's more for the "egg on your face" factor. Everyone is crowing about had bad the B1G will look because the B12 will go out and mash a full schedule in their face, but Bowlsby hasn't been particularly stalwart in his public pronouncements and who knows what's he's telling Warren behind closed doors.[/QUOTE]
Every time I see the "experts" and the "inside sources" quoted they all say this season is DOA and it's just a question of what order people accept it. I fully expect the SEC to be the final domino.

You and I are arguing different things in this discussion.
Are you saying the Big ten could not have done what the (big?) south did?
Further Are you saying that the big ten could not have played this season?
I am not arguing the rights of the conference.

This is the wrong decision for Nebraska. None of your various “shut up and take it” posts change that.

Yes the B1G could have offered teams outs to play on its own liability as other smaller conferences have done.

I would have like to seen that.

It doesn't change the fact that of all available options, NU chose to sign away its own right to make the right decision for us, to another entity in exchange for $$$$$.

Sometimes that leadership makes decisions that favor you, in this case they didn't. That's the breaks.

I'm done being a Husker fan. They'll never recover from this, and I'll be surprised if the conference even recovers. I'll cheer for a winner that stands against the Covid hysteria instead. For sure the military academies. If/when Nebraska returns to playing football in the B1G, good luck with all the ref abuse for even speaking out (then bit making good on it). What a pathetic joke. I can't stand this crap. Thought my skers were much better than this. Sell out for the almighty dollar... Disgusting!

What about the long term effects of concussions? Or does that not bother you?
Yea of course it is, it’s a reason I won’t let my kids play football.
I don’t understand why people seem to think the whole world got together and said let’s make this all up, it will be a good laugh. It needs to be taken seriously so we can all move on and be able to return “normalcy”.

Reactions: Cornfield
I'm done being a Husker fan. They'll never recover from this, and I'll be surprised if the conference even recovers. I'll cheer for a winner that stands against the Covid hysteria instead. For sure the military academies. If/when Nebraska returns to playing football in the B1G, good luck with all the ref abuse for even speaking out (then bit making good on it). What a pathetic joke. I can't stand this crap. Thought my skers were much better than this. Sell out for the almighty dollar... Disgusting!

Bye Felicia.

Goodbye.

Apparently the part of this you haven't grasped is that Nebraska did everything they could (within their power) to make football happen this fall.

RollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaugh

Reactions: gw2kpro and WHCSC

You think the military academies are playing football this year?

Reactions: gw2kpro
Yea of course it is, it’s a reason I won’t let my kids play football.
I don’t understand why people seem to think the whole world got together and said let’s make this all up, it will be a good laugh. It needs to be taken seriously so we can all move on and be able to return “normalcy”.

So is it safe to assume you don’t want kids in school, correct? All online classes for at least fall semester?

Let me start out by saying I'm a season ticket holder in football, volleyball and men's and women's basketball. I love going to sporting events. I hate that the seasons are canceled, delayed, etc. That being said.....

The only possible benefit for the schools is next year when the football players try to unionize or ask for revenue sharing, etc. is that the schools will say "sorry but we are in debt and in danger of canceling sports. You are lucky to be playing",

Classic example of talking out of both sides of your mouth. Academic side of the house loves the supposed prestige of being a member of B1G and the money. (I say supposed because it is nonsense to think most academicians at Michigan and Northwestern consider NU to be a peer institution.) However Green also knows about the only thing that matters to 90% of Nebraskans is football, so he will of course also support Frost’s going rogue statements.

Last edited:
Classic example of talking out of both sides of your mouth. Academic side of the house loves the supposed prestige of being a member of B1G. (I say supposed because it is nonsense to think most academicians at Michigan and Northwestern consider NU to be a peer institution.) However Green also knows about the only thing that matters to 90% of Nebraskans is football, so he will of course also support Frost’s going rogue statements.
If by prestige you mean billions of dollars in funding then yes.

ADVERTISEMENT