ADVERTISEMENT

Statel: Nebraska could take a lesson from Northwestern on stability

It’s a completely different job. Expectations are higher in Evanston today than when Fitz started (facilities upgrade), but nothing compared to Nebraska.

Nebraska should not be striving to be Northwestern. Nebraska should compare themselves to other blue blood schools like Alabama and Oklahoma.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
You are implying that Alabama is better disciplined because they are better physical specimens? Is that what my reading comprehension is telling me. And not maybe because saban demands more?
Did you miss my phrase that said they are clearly well coached?

Yes, you have a reading comprehension problem.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Not sure I get your point. Well maybe I do. You appear to be saying that because the fans wanted Frost then we can want stability even with a poorer record. Since Riley was not wanted, we don't have to want stability, in fact we can openly call for his head daily. We can bitch about the pisspoor OLine play, the terrible defense, the horrible QB play and playcalling.

You don't have to like what he is saying, but I tend to agree with him on this particular subject. My opinion is that there is a fine line between hoping Frost gets it together and the fan base turning apathetic toward the program. If 9 wins a year isn't good enough for Solich and Pelini, 27-22 isn't good enough for Callahan and 19-19 isn't good enough for Mike Riley, then 11-20 for Frost should at least make the seat warm.

My son in law is 27, a Nebraska fan, and has no memory of Nebraska being good. So to him winning 8 is a good season. That is what I am talking about with apathy.

And no question that if he doesn’t start turning things around in the next two years Husker nation will be calling for to exit..

After the Ioway game in 2017 I don’t know anyone good be excited about the lame future of Riley at Nebraska...

Reactions: bshirt73
Count me out if settling for 8 wins and calling it amazing. But ill be labeled a non fan for that. Because by golly Scott frost is the coach and What a job it would be to have a winning season at NEBRASKA.
You’re not going to get any arguments out of me, I feel the same way... I hate that 8 wins will be considered good for us, I’m just stating that we are on the cusp of that very situation, you have to look at reality, where college football is at, and understand we are 20 years removed, that’s right two zero, TWENTY, 20 years removed from our glory days, the kids signing now, they never seen Nebraska play for a title, haven’t seen us when a confrence, to the kids signing now, we are on par with Northwestern, that’s the hard truth, like it or not... me I don’t like it either it stucks, but until we get stability and build it back up that’s the truth and the ugly truth is the more we switch things up the longer it pushes crap back, and the further removed from those glory days we get... now I’m not saying HCSF is going to ever be Tom, but remember we almost ran Tom out to colorado too, there is something to be said about loyalty and consistency

The Huskers are a top 5-6 historical program in CFB history. 10+ wins a year at minimum should be the expectations. National Championships are what fans should be striving for in Lincoln. Don’t let anyone tell you Nebraska can’t win a championship anymore. Nebraska is a historical brand like ND and Alabama.

• Haha
Reactions: AnyOneButYou
You’re not going to get any arguments out of me, I feel the same way... I hate that 8 wins will be considered good for us, I’m just stating that we are on the cusp of that very situation, you have to look at reality, where college football is at, and understand we are 20 years removed, that’s right two zero, TWENTY, 20 years removed from our glory days, the kids signing now, they never seen Nebraska play for a title, haven’t seen us when a confrence, to the kids signing now, we are on par with Northwestern, that’s the hard truth, like it or not... me I don’t like it either it stucks, but until we get stability and build it back up that’s the truth and the ugly truth is the more we switch things up the longer it pushes crap back, and the further removed from those glory days we get... now I’m not saying HCSF is going to ever be Tom, but remember we almost ran Tom out to colorado too, there is something to be said about loyalty and consistency
Did you share the same loyalty and consistency approach to Bo? So lubick tried to find a new job is he not loyal?

The Huskers are a top 5-6 historical program in CFB history. 10+ wins a year at minimum should be the expectations. National Championships are what fans should be striving for in Lincoln. Don’t let anyone tell you Nebraska can’t win a championship anymore. Nebraska is a historical brand like ND and Alabama.
It is. But when you go 4-8 or 3-5 you can lower the expectations so when you go 8-4 you can say everyone can see where this is going and give you 6 million a year instead of 5.

Did you share the same loyalty and consistency approach to Bo? So lubick tried to find a new job is he not loyal?
Lol. So you truly believe everyone is equal, huh? Prior affiliation with Nebraska doesn’t matter? Bo got 7 years... we fired him to early? Should have given him another 5 year deal?

Lol. So you truly believe everyone is equal, huh? Prior affiliation with Nebraska doesn’t matter? Bo got 7 years... we fired him to early? Should have given him another 5 year deal?
Nope I agreed with firing Bo. Which again I have stated any other coach with 3 losing seasons would be gone and we would push them out the state for good. And mock players dancing. And chewing skoal at conferences. If we hold frost to bo’s winning standards then wouldn’t frost be gone? Bo made like a million a year? Frost makes 5. Should be higher standards.

Last edited:
Nope I agreed with firing Bo. Which again I have stated any other coach with 3 losing seasons would be gone and we would push them out the state for good. And mock players dancing. And chewing skoal at conferences. If we hold frost to bo’s winning standards then wouldn’t frost be gone? Bo made like a million a year? Frost makes 5. Should be higher standards.
It doesn’t do any good to try to have a conversation with you. You don’t recognize any extenuating circumstances. You don’t take into consideration the team that Bo inherited compared to the team Scott inherited. Bo had so much talent... Scott had not much by comparison. Frost was given the keys to the kingdom and told he had 5 years to turn things around. With that kind of leverage, he “ran off” a bunch of players that didn’t fit. We are paying the price for that now. Frost has a history with Nebraska that includes a national championship. He is a native son. One way or another, he has 5 years to right the ship. The clock is ticking. If he doesn’t, he will be stacked on top of the growing list of failed coaching decisions at Nebraska.

But to you, none of this matters. He chews. He lets players dance. He has 3 losing seasons (the only thing that I will grant you). Frost bad. He needs to go. You won’t even try to see it from a perspective other than yours.

Frost needs to figure out a way to light up the scoreboard. the University of Northwestern is good at keeping games close and then sometimes prevailing at the end. They pull this trick off reliably against most BIG teams. It's like they're smart enough to minimize penalties and turnovers which play a bigger factor in outcomes than most will admit. They tackle and block well. Just good fundamentals, boring as they are overall.

True enough sir. They're usually boring and don't really excel at anything. But as you say, somehow they frequently keep pulling out wins.

Yep, with our offense & "especially" special teams we're 5,000 light-years behind them and it's been killing us. It's just gotta come around some next year. I think they just might somewhat. The super important OLine "should" be much better....but who knows?

It is. But when you go 4-8 or 3-5 you can lower the expectations so when you go 8-4 you can say everyone can see where this is going and give you 6 million a year instead of 5.

Who cares what expectations are? Any coach worth anything should have confidence that he can win big at his school. At a program like Nebraska where championship banners have been hung that should be obvious.

Every season at Nebraska should be conference championship or bust.

Stability??

2017 - 3 conf wins
2018 - 3 conf wins
2019 - 3 conf wins
2020 - 3 conf wins

Frost has made Neb one of the most stable programs in all the land

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
Not sure I get your point. Well maybe I do. You appear to be saying that because the fans wanted Frost then we can want stability even with a poorer record. Since Riley was not wanted, we don't have to want stability, in fact we can openly call for his head daily. We can bitch about the pisspoor OLine play, the terrible defense, the horrible QB play and playcalling.

You don't have to like what he is saying, but I tend to agree with him on this particular subject. My opinion is that there is a fine line between hoping Frost gets it together and the fan base turning apathetic toward the program. If 9 wins a year isn't good enough for Solich and Pelini, 27-22 isn't good enough for Callahan and 19-19 isn't good enough for Mike Riley, then 11-20 for Frost should at least make the seat warm.

My son in law is 27, a Nebraska fan, and has no memory of Nebraska being good. So to him winning 8 is a good season. That is what I am talking about with apathy.

Yep, it been downright rough sledding for all of us. HCSF better get it turned around pretty soon. Two more years at the most. I hope to hell he hacks it and he might.....but if he doesn't......

True enough sir. They're usually boring and don't really excel at anything. But as you say, somehow they frequently keep pulling out wins.

Yep, with our offense & "especially" special teams we're 5,000 light-years behind them and it's been killing us. It's just gotta come around some next year. I think they just might somewhat. The super important OLine "should" be much better....but who knows?

11. Northwestern
Adjusted average: 2.90
Hit rate: 87%
Class rank in 2017: 50th
Four-year record: 29-19
Top signees: OL Rashawn Slater, LB Blake Gallagher, DE Earnest Brown IV, DE Samdup Miller, S JR Pace

Northwestern classes tend to grade out well in these re-ranks because they don’t endure much attrition. From the 2017 class, three signees left the program due to injuries. Two are currently in the portal as grad transfers. And that’s it. Everyone else has stayed, and most have made an impact to help the Wildcats win two Big Ten West titles and achieve three top-25 finishes in four years.

This class offered a good mix of early contributors and multi-year starters, and Slater became one of the great steals of this recruiting cycle. Northwestern was the first to offer the under-the-radar three-star from Houston. His only other offers when he committed were Wyoming, Illinois, Kansas, Rice and SMU. After starting 37 games in three years, Slater is now the No. 6 overall player on Dane Brugler’s top 100 draft board.

Congrats to Coach Fitz for identifying diamonds hidden in the rough and developing them to their full potential.

Stability is a two way street (Fitz is hitting on 80 percent of his recruits). The roster turnover under Frost to me is the only red flag.

Actually yes I did share that same loyalty to Bo, I didn’t like his pant pissing antics and you could tell the ship was about to sink with him... he never liked recruiting and he was trying to get fired from here... To me you’re comparing apples to oranges here, you had BoPo riding off of Callahan’s recruits and he was set up. You have to be dumb, stupid, or dumb to not be able to see the difference between what was inherited.l there... I’m not saying Frost is the Golden child here, what I am saying is he needs to figure out how to keep these kids in the system, and we as fans need to figure out that with the state of our program it will never be a three year turn around...

Actually yes I did share that same loyalty to Bo, I didn’t like his pant pissing antics and you could tell the ship was about to sink with him... he never liked recruiting and he was trying to get fired from here... To me you’re comparing apples to oranges here, you had BoPo riding off of Callahan’s recruits and he was set up. You have to be dumb, stupid, or dumb to not be able to see the difference between what was inherited.l there... I’m not saying Frost is the Golden child here, what I am saying is he needs to figure out how to keep these kids in the system, and we as fans need to figure out that with the state of our program it will never be a three year turn around...
Moos said it would take a good coach 2 Years. Frost said we would be dangerous year 2. He said there was enough talent to win. If I see the young guys look significantly better next year there is hope. If not it’s over. If we drop that first game to Illinois it would be like 2017 with northern Illinois

So Pelini could not like to recruit and still not win less than 9 games per year, even after all of the Callahan guys were gone?

But Frost, who seems to like to recruit, can't obtain and retain the talent to reach .500?

If Riley left the cupboard that bare, why couldn't the Frost recruits beat out those leftovers for the past 3 years?

You just can't have it both ways.

Reactions: bshirt73
Again, you not liking what he wrote doesn't make it a false statement. What did he write that wasn't true?

Attacking the person and not the message is what got this country Joe Biden as POTUS.
Get a clue he is jlb321 trolling

Get a clue he is jlb321 trolling
I don't think so. Look at the writing and not the overall message. @jlb321 may be negative, but he would never argue about dancing and definitely wouldn't die on a hill about dancing. jlb321 is usually a hit and run type poster. He makes his point and is done, he will come back to a thread but he doesn't engage in 2 page back and forths. @Huskerz99 argues about the same thing in every thread and has several posts in every thread. That is not the same MO as @jlb321

I don't think so. Look at the writing and not the overall message. @jlb321 may be negative, but he would never argue about dancing and definitely wouldn't die on a hill about dancing. jlb321 is usually a hit and run type poster. He makes his point and is done, he will come back to a thread but he doesn't engage in 2 page back and forths. @Huskerz99 argues about the same thing in every thread and has several posts in every thread. That is not the same MO as @jlb321

Yes he would never say never.

Moos said it would take a good coach 2 Years. Frost said we would be dangerous year 2. He said there was enough talent to win. If I see the young guys look significantly better next year there is hope. If not it’s over. If we drop that first game to Illinois it would be like 2017 with northern Illinois
I agree 100% with this if we don’t see some kind of progression it is most definitely time to start hitting the panic button, he has his recruits, he has his strength and conditioning crew, we should se progression... I hate that he hasn’t been able to retain some of these kids because it makes it feel like we are constantly hitting the reset button every year.

So Pelini could not like to recruit and still not win less than 9 games per year, even after all of the Callahan guys were gone?

But Frost, who seems to like to recruit, can't obtain and retain the talent to reach .500?

If Riley left the cupboard that bare, why couldn't the Frost recruits beat out those leftovers for the past 3 years?

You just can't have it both ways.

I honestly don’t think it was about beating out MR’s kids, you’re kind of putting words in my mouth here, but I can see how you may come to that conclusion... i do feel like HCSF tried to redshirt to try to build talent and get kinds that were more physically ready to play in the B1G. Now I have no insider info on that, that’s just what makes sense based off what I seen.

It was well known that BoPo hated ‘crootin, and as you so graciously pointed out Frost seems to like it, however in none of my statements did I say that either of them were good a evaluating their ‘croots, which is why I say you put word in my mouth, you made assumptions there. Obviously I don’t have the answers here, but like I said I did support BoPo and was actually very worried about what our next move would be if he was fired... I think instead of trying to complain about everything you all need to take a step back and take a deeper look at what has been happening, a lot of you are still living in our glory days, which I get it, I love to go back to those days too... however just I said those days have been over 20 years ago, our last title was in 97, and again with the kids signing today they were not even alive then... I challenge any of you to point out anything that I’ve mentioned as false, I use facts to back up what I mention as my thoughts on this... it does not mean that what my thoughts on where we are at currently is where I want is to be, it does not mean that I am cool with 8 or 9 win seasons... I’m using facts to support my reasoning of why our fan base will soon start accepting that... again I repeat that doesn’t mean I’m ok with that, I’m saying that the college age students now don’t now anything more then that, and most likely just want to see us win at a minimum. Hell at a minimum that’s what I want too

Wait a minute. Didn’t everyone hate Mike Riley because our guys On the sideline danced on kickoffs or something? I thought a bunch of former players made comments about the players on Riley’s staff dancing on the sidelines too much.

I agree 100% with this if we don’t see some kind of progression it is most definitely time to start hitting the panic button, he has his recruits, he has his strength and conditioning crew, we should se progression... I hate that he hasn’t been able to retain some of these kids because it makes it feel like we are constantly hitting the reset button every year.

I honestly don’t think it was about beating out MR’s kids, you’re kind of putting words in my mouth here, but I can see how you may come to that conclusion... i do feel like HCSF tried to redshirt to try to build talent and get kinds that were more physically ready to play in the B1G. Now I have no insider info on that, that’s just what makes sense based off what I seen.

It was well known that BoPo hated ‘crootin, and as you so graciously pointed out Frost seems to like it, however in none of my statements did I say that either of them were good a evaluating their ‘croots, which is why I say you put word in my mouth, you made assumptions there. Obviously I don’t have the answers here, but like I said I did support BoPo and was actually very worried about what our next move would be if he was fired... I think instead of trying to complain about everything you all need to take a step back and take a deeper look at what has been happening, a lot of you are still living in our glory days, which I get it, I love to go back to those days too... however just I said those days have been over 20 years ago, our last title was in 97, and again with the kids signing today they were not even alive then... I challenge any of you to point out anything that I’ve mentioned as false, I use facts to back up what I mention as my thoughts on this... it does not mean that what my thoughts on where we are at currently is where I want is to be, it does not mean that I am cool with 8 or 9 win seasons... I’m using facts to support my reasoning of why our fan base will soon start accepting that... again I repeat that doesn’t mean I’m ok with that, I’m saying that the college age students now don’t now anything more then that, and most likely just want to see us win at a minimum. Hell at a minimum that’s what I want too

My point is that we continue to make excuses for why Frost can't win more games than he loses.

Nothing I have written has anything to do with the glory days. I am talking about Solich to Frost, no one is confusing 1999-2020 with the glory years.

So as you are stepping back and taking a deeper look at what is happening here what did you discover? What I read in your post is that you have reached the level of apathy. Even though you say, "that doesn't mean I am cool with 8 or 9 win seasons" you in fact are. You say you want to get to 10-13 but you definitely don't expect it to happen. You have lined up an entire paragraph about why we should be content with getting to an 8 win season.

My point is that we continue to make excuses for why Frost can't win more games than he loses.

Nothing I have written has anything to do with the glory days. I am talking about Solich to Frost, no one is confusing 1999-2020 with the glory years.

So as you are stepping back and taking a deeper look at what is happening here what did you discover? What I read in your post is that you have reached the level of apathy. Even though you say, "that doesn't mean I am cool with 8 or 9 win seasons" you in fact are. You say you want to get to 10-13 but you definitely don't expect it to happen. You have lined up an entire paragraph about why we should be content with getting to an 8 win season.
Lol 😂 well thank you for telling me how I feel about the situation hahaha, I don’t know what I’d do with out your telling me... again I will stress that No I am not in fact ok with it, maybe I failed at establishing that fact, or maybe you failed with your reading comprehension 🤷🏻‍♂️... I’d like for you to quote where I said I don’t expect it to happen, hell dig through all of my previous post on this very topic, and you’ll find that I do state many times that I DO in fact expect to get to 10-13 wins... I stressed multiple times that I am only stating why the vast majority of our fan base will be ok with 8-9 wins a season... I will reiterate, yet again 🙄, that first we need to get to that 8-9 win mark, but that should never be our end state.... My whole point is that you should not be surprised at this point when the younger generation is ok with the 8-9 win seasons, you should not be surprised that our history does not mean much to them since they were not around to witness it... my point is that when you go on a 20+ year hiatus your level of relevance is at the level of a northwestern.... not once did I say I’m ok with that..I only say when you pull your head out of the 1990s you’ll really see the true state of our program... but again twist that how you want and please by all means continue to tell me how I feel about this 🤨😂

ADVERTISEMENT