ADVERTISEMENT

Statel: Nebraska could take a lesson from Northwestern on stability

scarletred

Nebraska Legend
Jun 17, 2001
Good article in the OWH today from Shatel..

About Fitzgerald being reward with patience and not suggesting that Nebraska doesn’t throw around 10 year extensions..

“I’m saying the next time Nebraska is in position to enjoy winning, I hope they embrace the simple things, and what it makes to have a refreshing glass of Diet Dr Pepper” Shatel.

Mentions 2 AD’s at Nebraska who decided 9 wins wasn’t good enough and reaching is a Nebraska thing. Devaney and Osborne were nearly chased out of Lincoln..

Fritz has been at NW for 16 years has nine winning seasons and had 3 seasons with 10 wins and 5 losing seasons and one 6-6..Has won the West twice the past 3 years and had lead them to 10 bowl games. none of which were New Years6 bowls..

Since Nebraska has joined the Big 10 Northwestern is 44-40 in conference play and Nebraska stands at 43-42 with only one year above .500 in conference play 5 of the past 6 years..

Reactions: 9and4
It’s a completely different job. Expectations are higher in Evanston today than when Fitz started (facilities upgrade), but nothing compared to Nebraska.

Nebraska should not be striving to be Northwestern. Nebraska should compare themselves to other blue blood schools like Alabama and Oklahoma.

Shatel also said 9 wins wasn’t good enough but glad he is okay to put the emphasis on the ADs.

It’s a completely different job. Expectations are higher in Evanston today than when Fitz started (facilities upgrade), but nothing compared to Nebraska.

Nebraska should not be striving to be Northwestern. Nebraska should compare themselves to other blue blood schools like Alabama and Oklahoma.

Again your missing the point.. Read the whole article and get back with us on your way to the Herky board.

Just dawned on me that 10 year extension facilitated by an AD who has only weeks left in his position before he departs for his Commissioner gig with the SEC. Obviously the extension had multiple layers of approval above the AD but certainly puts his successor in a odd position for the future.
GBR!

So did you guys demand stability for Mike Riley? I mean he had a much better record than Frost.

So did you guys demand stability for Mike Riley”

Right there gives it away with that quote.. You’re not a Husker fan only portraying to be one with your fancy name z99..

If you were a Nebraska fan you would be smart enough not as ask a question about someone we didn’t want in the first place because of a incompetent AD we had..

Get Lost!

Right there gives it away with that quote.. You’re not a Husker fan only portraying to be one with your fancy name z99..

If you were a Nebraska fan you would be smart enough not as ask a question about someone we didn’t want in the first place because of a incompetent AD we had..

Get Lost!
To be fair we all wanted Frost so you can’t say we didn’t want him.

About Fitzgerald being reward with patience and not suggesting that Nebraska doesn’t throw around 10 year extensions..

“I’m saying the next time Nebraska is in position to enjoy winning, I hope they embrace the simple things, and what it makes to have a refreshing glass of Diet Dr Pepper” Shatel.

Mentions 2 AD’s at Nebraska who decided 9 wins wasn’t good enough and reaching is a Nebraska thing. Devaney and Osborne were nearly chased out of Lincoln..

Fritz has been at NW for 16 years has nine winning seasons and had 3 seasons with 10 wins and 5 losing seasons and one 6-6..Has won the West twice the past 3 years and had lead them to 10 bowl games. none of which were New Years6 bowls..

Since Nebraska has joined the Big 10 Northwestern is 44-40 in conference play and Nebraska stands at 43-42 with only one year above .500 in conference play 5 of the past 6 years..
Take a lesson? In forever and ever and ever....and ever in mediocrity? Perhaps. Fitzgerald has done a great job but the ceiling at NW is much much lower. Neb has been and lived at the mountain top for many many years. NW never has. So where a 8 win season may be monumental at NW it is very “Meh” in the books of those that follow Neb FB. If Neb is ever content with a 7 to 8 “bar” of wins...I’ll be very disappointed. For 40 years of my life...7 to 8 win years meant Neb did poorly. Not worthy of a trophy or a parade.

Reactions: bshirt73
Take a lesson? In forever and ever and ever....and ever in mediocrity? Perhaps. Fitzgerald has done a great job but the ceiling at NW is much much lower. Neb has been and lived at the mountain top for many many years. NW never has. So where a 8 win season may be monumental at NW it is very “Meh” in the books of those that follow Neb FB. If Neb is ever content with a 7 to 8 “bar” of wins...I’ll be very disappointed. For 40 years of my life...7 to 8 win years meant Neb did poorly. Not worthy of a trophy or a parade.
Sadly I think we are on the cusp of 7 to 8 wins being acceptable at NU... I, like you spent my formative years watching Nebraska stay at the top of the college football mountain, and I want for us to return there so bad, it hurts... However the reality is it has now been 20 years since we have really been relevant, we spend a lot of years sitting at the 9 win plateau, and now the past few years below .500... the reality of the story is that all of our fan base that is 20 to 25 years of age and younger don’t remember the years of us at the peak, and they long just to see us win again. The cards in the 80s and 90s were stacked in our favor we could pull larger classes, kids couldn’t transfer as easily and it wasn’t as common to be on TV, and college football tried to maintain a level playing field, we also played in the Big 8 while coming up which really was way easier to come through... it basically came to Oklahoma and us every year... with the new generation expecting instant results and Instant gratification coupled with the transfer portal, the SEC pay to play scheme, and pretty much every confrence on TV, these kids don’t have a desire to stay and progress through a system... I think that all spells out that the sad reality is our fan base is closer to settling for 8 to 9 wins the. It has ever been before

Sadly I think we are on the cusp of 7 to 8 wins being acceptable at NU... I, like you spent my formative years watching Nebraska stay at the top of the college football mountain, and I want for us to return there so bad, it hurts... However the reality is it has now been 20 years since we have really been relevant, we spend a lot of years sitting at the 9 win plateau, and now the past few years below .500... the reality of the story is that all of our fan base that is 20 to 25 years of age and younger don’t remember the years of us at the peak, and they long just to see us win again. The cards in the 80s and 90s were stacked in our favor we could pull larger classes, kids couldn’t transfer as easily and it wasn’t as common to be on TV, and college football tried to maintain a level playing field, we also played in the Big 8 while coming up which really was way easier to come through... it basically came to Oklahoma and us every year... with the new generation expecting instant results and Instant gratification coupled with the transfer portal, the SEC pay to play scheme, and pretty much every confrence on TV, these kids don’t have a desire to stay and progress through a system... I think that all spells out that the sad reality is our fan base is closer to settling for 8 to 9 wins the. It has ever been before
Count me out if settling for 8 wins and calling it amazing. But ill be labeled a non fan for that. Because by golly Scott frost is the coach and What a job it would be to have a winning season at NEBRASKA.

Part of the problem has been thinking we're in the same realm of Alabama or Oklahoma, we're much closer to NW nowadays. We need to build step by step. Let's beat NW and Iowa first....and that seems like a dream right now.

How Completely Pathetic and Depressing that we now aspire to be Northwestern. THis is a complete joke.

Frost needs to figure out a way to light up the scoreboard. the University of Northwestern is good at keeping games close and then sometimes prevailing at the end. They pull this trick off reliably against most BIG teams. It's like they're smart enough to minimize penalties and turnovers which play a bigger factor in outcomes than most will admit. They tackle and block well. Just good fundamentals, boring as they are overall.

A very Shatel-esque article from someone who grew up in Missouri rooting for a team that now and then had stretches of pretty good seasons, but for many years in between wasn't very good and whose fan base was generally ok with that. As long as he has lived in Nebraska, he still has no clue what Nebraska football is about. Well, he may have a clue but articles like this demonstrate he continues to not truly feel it or understand it. No way in hell can we be happy winning .500 here and there with maybe being first in our division once every ten years (although granted its a far sight better then where we have been of late). Given the population of our state and the fact that we aren't a Northwestern from an academic standpoint to draw quality players, no way can we sustain recruiting to be just ok year after year. If Nebraska doesn't demand competing for championships year in and year out, we will become permanently what we now are - the Kansas of the Big Ten (sans the couple of good Mangino years). Which will be followed not far behind by a half empty Memorial stadium invaded by visiting fan bases because tickets are cheap and easy to come by.

Yep. That’s what all these “fans” are okay with because it’s frost who is making us almost northwestern. It’s okay because frost says it’s hard to be disciplined so it must be true
Your not a Husker fan douche..

Reactions: timnsun
giphy.gif

Yep. That’s what all these “fans” are okay with because it’s frost who is making us almost northwestern. It’s okay because frost says it’s hard to be disciplined so it must be true

Alabama not only has the best players, they are the most disciplined least penalized teams consistently.

Alabama not only has the best players, they are the most disciplined least penalized teams consistently.
No way, really? Thanks Captain Obvious! Do you think having the biggest, strongest, and fastest players might have something to do with that? No doubt they are well coached, but when you are stronger than your opponent, you don’t have to hold. When you are faster than your opponent you don’t have to interfere.

No way, really? Thanks Captain Obvious! Do you think having the biggest, strongest, and fastest players might have something to do with that? No doubt they are well coached, but when you are stronger than your opponent, you don’t have to hold. When you are faster than your opponent you don’t have to interfere.
It takes strength to not jump offsides? Ha ha. Didn’t know your 40 time also determined if you can line up properly.

It takes strength to not jump offsides? Ha ha. Didn’t know your 40 time also determined if you can line up properly.
You have a reading comprehension problem. I only referenced penalties requiring speed and strength. Quit being a troll unless you can’t help it.

You have a reading comprehension problem. I only referenced penalties requiring speed and strength. Quit being a troll unless you can’t help it.
You are implying that Alabama is better disciplined because they are better physical specimens? Is that what my reading comprehension is telling me. And not maybe because saban demands more?

Get Lost!

Not sure I get your point. Well maybe I do. You appear to be saying that because the fans wanted Frost then we can want stability even with a poorer record. Since Riley was not wanted, we don't have to want stability, in fact we can openly call for his head daily. We can bitch about the pisspoor OLine play, the terrible defense, the horrible QB play and playcalling.

You don't have to like what he is saying, but I tend to agree with him on this particular subject. My opinion is that there is a fine line between hoping Frost gets it together and the fan base turning apathetic toward the program. If 9 wins a year isn't good enough for Solich and Pelini, 27-22 isn't good enough for Callahan and 19-19 isn't good enough for Mike Riley, then 11-20 for Frost should at least make the seat warm.

My son in law is 27, a Nebraska fan, and has no memory of Nebraska being good. So to him winning 8 is a good season. That is what I am talking about with apathy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT