ADVERTISEMENT

Statel: Nebraska could take a lesson from Northwestern on stability

So Pelini could not like to recruit and still not win less than 9 games per year, even after all of the Callahan guys were gone?

But Frost, who seems to like to recruit, can't obtain and retain the talent to reach .500?

If Riley left the cupboard that bare, why couldn't the Frost recruits beat out those leftovers for the past 3 years?

You just can't have it both ways.
I do think the B1G conference as a whole is better now than it was when we first joined the conference. One thing Bo had whether people want to admit it or not was good recruiters on the offensive side of the ball. We always had a QB who could play whether it was TMart with his mind numbing decisions at times or Tommy Armstrong. Beck brought in some good players for Riley. Recruiting to an 8-9 win program might be just a little bit easier than recruiting to a team that has won 3 games. You will note that even though Bo won his 8-9 games, a lot of his wins were nail biters and after Suh left we routinely got blown out a couple of games per year.

Comparing the 2 situations is problematic at best. In many ways, watching this team these past 2 years I can see why Frost says "we're close". In my eyes especially this past year I saw a team that just needed consistently better QB play and to correct the problems with penalties and special teams. That's it. We've got enough talent to win more games than we did. We HAVE to fix the in game special teams blunders and turnovers. We do that, and we'll win more games than we lose. Hopefully Scott or Stepp prove to be guys we can depend on.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Clemke32
I do think the B1G conference as a whole is better now than it was when we first joined the conference. One thing Bo had whether people want to admit it or not was good recruiters on the offensive side of the ball. We always had a QB who could play whether it was TMart with his mind numbing decisions at times or Tommy Armstrong. Beck brought in some good players for Riley. Recruiting to an 8-9 win program might be just a little bit easier than recruiting to a team that has won 3 games. You will note that even though Bo won his 8-9 games, a lot of his wins were nail biters and after Suh left we routinely got blown out a couple of games per year.

Comparing the 2 situations is problematic at best. In many ways, watching this team these past 2 years I can see why Frost says "we're close". In my eyes especially this past year I saw a team that just needed consistently better QB play and to correct the problems with penalties and special teams. That's it. We've got enough talent to win more games than we did. We HAVE to fix the in game special teams blunders and turnovers. We do that, and we'll win more games than we lose. Hopefully Scott or Stepp prove to be guys we can depend on.

Seems like I have heard his for 3 years. Say it enough times I guess it's bound to be true at some point.

Well Pelini won the "nailbitters" and Frost loses them. 9 or 10 wins vs 3 or 5 wins. But next year will just be different.

Seems like I have heard his for 3 years. Say it enough times I guess it's bound to be true at some point.

Well Pelini won the "nailbitters" and Frost loses them. 9 or 10 wins vs 3 or 5 wins. But next year will just be different.
Every year is different. I share your skepticism to some degree. My main concern is replacing Jaimes and how young we're going to be on the O line. Man, the things that killed us these past 2 years SHOULD be fixable. I think we've fixed the talent issue on most if not all fronts. Now for me, the keys will be left tackle and QB play. Of course special teams and penalties have to get fixed too but that isn't talent. That's between the ears.

Good article in the OWH today from Shatel..

About Fitzgerald being reward with patience and not suggesting that Nebraska doesn’t throw around 10 year extensions..

“I’m saying the next time Nebraska is in position to enjoy winning, I hope they embrace the simple things, and what it makes to have a refreshing glass of Diet Dr Pepper” Shatel.

Mentions 2 AD’s at Nebraska who decided 9 wins wasn’t good enough and reaching is a Nebraska thing. Devaney and Osborne were nearly chased out of Lincoln..

Fritz has been at NW for 16 years has nine winning seasons and had 3 seasons with 10 wins and 5 losing seasons and one 6-6..Has won the West twice the past 3 years and had lead them to 10 bowl games. none of which were New Years6 bowls..

Since Nebraska has joined the Big 10 Northwestern is 44-40 in conference play and Nebraska stands at 43-42 with only one year above .500 in conference play 5 of the past 6 years..

Shatel often contradicts himself, and he doesn't seem especially sharp.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT