ADVERTISEMENT

State of the Program: What are the positives?

If you've been on this board long enough you know that tomorrow we will start seeing posts about how we are all too negative and not "real fans".
To those people, please list here specifically what is positive about the current state of the program that we should put our faith in to get this turned around? Honest question, because I may be under informed and am just not seeing the positives given that I'm not on campus.
Our kick offs were much improved.

So we have that going for us.

I’m still holding out hope that we can bench AM and get a qb in there who is not California soft and it will change the complexion of our team.

Bench Martinez and start playing for the future starting next week. If not fire Frost

If you've been on this board long enough you know that tomorrow we will start seeing posts about how we are all too negative and not "real fans".
To those people, please list here specifically what is positive about the current state of the program that we should put our faith in to get this turned around? Honest question, because I may be under informed and am just not seeing the positives given that I'm not on campus.
It's not a pleasant positive but I think the only positive you can take away is at least there is clarity now that Frost won't be getting a fifth year to continue torturing fans. It's the same old thing. I thought he was the right choice at the time he was hired but apparently it turned out he just can't compete in the B1G conference. Maybe he can still be successful in a different conference with different opponents but not at Nebraska against B1G opponents.

There is talent on the roster, just need better guidance. What you saw today was a slightly less talented football team play disciplined football and get a W. We are still making the same mistakes in year four. 5-13 in games decided by 8 or less. So we have players that can keep us in it, just not the coaching to grab the wins.

I've been trying to think for 30 minutes of something positive from this game and I honestly can't come up with anything. This coaching staff still doesn't know what they want to do on offense. They apparently still don't GAF about special teams either despite the "talk".

Reactions: HuskerDana
I was at the game unfortunately. Defense has clearly improved. I think they are actually ready to compete with some of the best in the conference. However as many have already stated they HAVE to get help. You could see how dejected they became after the fumble/6 before the half. We can’t expect them to win games for us. I’ve said this a million time but this is the biggest difference maker from our championship teams right now, we don’t have a killer at quarterback…period. All of our championship caliber teams had DUDES playing qb…let’s be honest with ourselves, we aren’t even close to that being the case right now. Frost may just ride AM all the way to his firing at this point

Reactions: dinglefritz
I've been trying to think for 30 minutes of something positive from this game and I honestly can't come up with anything. This coaching staff still doesn't know what they want to do on offense. They apparently still don't GAF about special teams either despite the "talk".
There is talent on roster, size in the trenches, wrs with upside.
In state talent is getting better, particularly Omaha. A new coach with an offensive identity, not insecure and cocky could make a fairly quick turnaround

We're 33% on extra points. Creighton doesn't have a football team and I don't have to pay alimony to my wife in Orlando.

I have never had herpes, syphilis, or ghonnorea. At least I don't think so. It doesn't burn when I pee.

• Wow
I think there is talent on the team but Offensive staff is clueless and not developing that talent. AM is missing open receivers too often. One would have been a TD.

Special Teams under Frost is a joke!!

Reactions: headcard
I thought the defense looked solid. They are not world-beaters, but I thought they did what needed to be done.

The O-line can't run block, the QB can't hit the broad side of a barn, the WR can't get open, and the RB can't hit a hole. Oh yeah, and the kicker can't kick.

O line players who were wearing “run the damn ball” hats should be forced to wear dresses to classes all week. Our o line got owned

Reactions: Oldie but goodie
I was at the game unfortunately. Defense has clearly improved. I think they are actually ready to compete with some of the best in the conference. However as many have already stated they HAVE to get help. You could see how dejected they became after the fumble/6 before the half. We can’t expect them to win games for us. I’ve said this a million time but this is the biggest difference maker from our championship teams right now, we don’t have a killer at quarterback…period. All of our championship caliber teams had DUDES playing qb…let’s be honest with ourselves, we aren’t even close to that being the case right now. Frost may just ride AM all the way to his firing at this point

Agreed. Defense is certainly not the problem

The defense really is better than it used to be. Some bad blown assignments but they play aggressive. The interception called back by the skirt police was huge.

We are deeper in the trenches, linebacker, and secondary than we used to be. Frost deserves some credit for that.

Toure looks good, but should be a 2nd target.

Those are the positives. Next coach won’t have too bad of a pantry overall, but QB room is hurting bad.

Gabe Ervin looks promising as a true freshmen.

our outside linebackers looked aggressive and hit some people today.

We had at least two kickoffs that were touchbacks today

This program is almost at rock bottom (if we lose to Fordham in Lincoln next week that's rock bottom), so there is no place to go but up.

Our kick offs were much improved.

So we have that going for us.
This staff has done a good job with transforming the roster to look like a B1G team. Whoever the new hc is I don't think they will have to rebuild the roster a ton. A competent coach should be able to take this roster and win very quickly.

Reactions: 9and4 and egaRdeR
This staff has done a good job with transforming the roster to look like a B1G team. Whoever the new hc is I don't think they will have to rebuild the roster a ton. A competent coach should be able to take this roster and win very quickly.
Serious answer: conditioning. I have re-watched the game twice. NU players are in great physical condition.
Another positive? Adrian Martinez's continued maturity and class in the face of all this criticism from people who have never strapped on a pair of shoulder pads in their lives.

• Haha
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Positive is that we have some really good players and we could land a new coach, possibly someone like Bill OBrien or Gus to name a few.

More free time on Saturdays again this year....
Actually, it's less free time for me. I'd hate to miss the game or two we actually might win. I wasn't planning on watching either of the next two games live (I'll be out of travelin), but now I'm making an effort to find a TV so I don't miss that Saturday evening happy spliff after watching a victory.

Reactions: blackbones
Actually, it's less free time for me. I'd hate to miss the game or two we actually might win. I wasn't planning on watching either of the next two games live (I'll be out of travelin), but now I'm making an effort to find a TV so I don't miss that Saturday evening happy spliff after watching a victory.

I talk a big game but I'll end up watching anyway.. Its been quite awhile since I haven't been frustrated watching a game... spliffin definitely helps lol

Reactions: 9and4
I'm positive bout everything except frost, the qb coach and martinez
if we could dump them three stooges, get a real qb....I'd say it's very positive

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT