ADVERTISEMENT

Starting to feel like bad timing to have to replace a coach

You’ve already found your coach, he is currently on a 2 game win streak. If Mickey gets this team to 6 wins total the search for the next HC is over, finished, kaput.
Obviously you don’t want us stealing Campbell.

Obviously you don’t want us stealing Campbell.
Campbell has a better job right now, Knebbers might be able to show some green however ISU has some boosters with deep, very deep pockets. Take Mickey on the cheap and consider yourselves lucky.

Do you think there is a win total MJ needs to hit to get the job? And if so what do you think it is?
I'm not sure what the criteria is for those who are making the decision (Trev or possibly others).

There easily could be some hard fast metrics/numbers. There could also be criteria based on how things are going/being handled, the little things we may not see in the day to day running of the program. There could be a bit of both hard and soft criteria..

Most people tend to make decisions based on a bit of both types of data and gut feel. My gut says he probably needs a bowl game, but the more the little things go right, week after week, the less the bowl game matters to me in his first 'season' if you can call it that.

Let's say we have a few more hiccups, but things continue to progress and he ends up just missing the bowl game. If you're Trev and everything else is looking good, including the plan going forward with coaches and recruiting looks good, I'm going to have a hard time pulling the plug on him after seeing all the intangibles up close and in person that are going right.

It will be easier to give a pass on the W/L record than it would be if all the other day to day stuff was wrong.

This is just me though, and I go more on feel than hard wins and losses.. Trev might be different.

Edit: Speaking of recruiting.. curious where we are at.. things looking up, down, sideways? That part of the puzzle has to be on the upswing for MJ to continue.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the criteria is for those who are making the decision (Trev or possibly others).

There easily could be some hard fast metrics/numbers. There could also be criteria based on how things are going/being handled, the little things we may not see in the day to day running of the program. There could be a bit of both hard and soft criteria..

Most people tend to make decisions based on a bit of both types of data and gut feel. My gut says he probably needs a bowl game, but the more the little things go right, week after week, the less the bowl game matters to me in his first 'season' if you can call it that.

Let's say we have a few more hiccups, but things continue to progress and he ends up just missing the bowl game. If you're Trev and everything else is looking good, including the plan going forward with coaches and recruiting looks good, I'm going to have a hard time pulling the plug on him after seeing all the intangibles up close and in person that are going right.

It will be easier to give a pass on the W/L record than it would be if all the other day to day stuff was wrong.

This is just me though, and I go more on feel than hard wins and losses.. Trev might be different.

Edit: Speaking of recruiting.. curious where we are at.. things looking up, down, sideways? That part of the puzzle has to be on the upswing for MJ to continue.
If penalties are one of the little things that Trev is evaluating Mickey on, then most likely Mickey won't get the job. Seems like we are more penalized than we were under Scott Frost.

You’ve already found your coach, he is currently on a 2 game win streak. If Mickey gets this team to 6 wins total the search for the next HC is over, finished, kaput.
I would be willing to bet that after the Purdue game, the fans will cool off on Mickey a bit. I like him, but Mickey joseph will not be the head coach of Nebraska next year.

That would be the key for Mickey if he gets the job. IF that happens I’m very comfortable with Trev assisting in the search for a few new assistants. I kind of think Busch might want to go back to special teams but it’s just a guess. In theory one could roll with the staff we have already. Personally I’ve become a big Whipple fan.
I like Whipple as well. However, the 78th rated scoring offense isn't exactly lighting it up on the field.

When you suck for almost 30 years, you aren’t a blue blood anymore. You’re Indiana basketball, and fans and admin have been delusional in knowing where nebraska football stands today.

Urban won’t even sniff the nebraska job
Leipold isn’t going to leave the money and control he’s about to be given. He’s said as much for anyone who listens to what he says.
Campbell, meh. He might make the jump considering he’s probably peaked out at ISU
Fickell, won’t sniff that job. He has a better situation at Cincy right now
Aranda, same. He has a better situation at Baylor right now.
BOB is probably a good option for nebraska
Hugh Freeze would kill it there.
Tom Hermann could be a pretty good coach there, but the morons there have proven even a pretty good coach is going to get fired.
Klieman would prob make the jump, he knows he’s about to get lapped in state to Leipold in the near future
If i had to guess, the next job is one of BOB, Hermann, Klieman, Freeze. If nebraska is smart they go get Freeze. He’s bat shit crazy, can coach some football, and would elevate recruiting at a dead horse like nebraska. he has the personality to bring some heart and swagger back there if anyone can

I had to laugh when I read this. It is a great summary of the gripes about every name that comes up.

There is never a slam dunk hire before any results are produced. Never. Hires only become slam dunks (or failures) after the fact.

You could easily find positive things to write about every name on this list.

Whomever is hired, there will be a faction of people here that will find something to bitch about. If you are looking for a guaranteed winner - that doesn’t exist. Fortunately, the new coach is also not guaranteed to fail either.

Some people mention Mickey a lot, and while I like him I really hope we don’t make him head coach. Why, because there’s more chance to keep current staff if Mickey is the head guy and I don’t want any of the current coaches retained. Even Fisher.
If MJ is not retained as HC.....I hope he and Busch go someplace together and build their own program. May not be a P5.....

If MJ is not retained as HC.....I hope he and Busch go someplace together and build their own program. May not be a P5.....
I hope Mickey stays here as WR coach. He’s the only coach to visibly improve their position. TE is pretty good too

When you suck for almost 30 years, you aren’t a blue blood anymore. You’re Indiana basketball, and fans and admin have been delusional in knowing where nebraska football stands today.

Leipold isn’t going to leave the money and control he’s about to be given. He’s said as much for anyone who listens to what he says.
Campbell, meh. He might make the jump considering he’s probably peaked out at ISU
Tom Hermann could be a pretty good coach there, but the morons there have proven even a pretty good coach is going to get fired.
Klieman would prob make the jump, he knows he’s about to get lapped in state to Leipold in the near future
If i had to guess, the next job is one of BOB, Hermann, Klieman, Freeze. If nebraska is smart they go get Freeze. He’s bat shit crazy, can coach some football, and would elevate recruiting at a dead horse like nebraska. he has the personality to bring some heart and swagger back there if anyone can
I think if your overall winning percentage drops below 70%, I think you lose blueblood status.

Reactions: BleedRed78

🖕

Reactions: scarletred

Im sure this obsessed troll will own this stupid post after we hire our coach…..

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT