ADVERTISEMENT

Starting QB

I am not an insider and never will be... You won't find me saying QB a will be starting over QB b... I have no way of knowing. All I can do is listen to the coaches and see what they say. So when the coaches say the battle is still too close to call, I take their word for it. Maybe they are just saying that, who knows? Maybe some are right when they say Martinez is the guy that will start game 1. But Frost hasn't said this yet, so when people come on here with all the confidence in the world that it will be Martinez, I just don't get it. Hoosker, you are absolutely correct in saying we don't really know. What goes on here is just opinions, unless there are some real insiders...

Yep, I think people have taken me ultimately wanting a mobile QB as the starter as... "Martinez is definitely going to be the starter." I can say with complete certainty that I have never come remotely close to predicting who will be the starter. I've always said that I would eventually rather have a dual-threat QB in Frost's system because of all the stress a dual-threat QB can place on a defense (It would appear Frost is of that opinion as well). But that is assuming his ability to pass the ball and make decisions isn't so far behind the pro-style guy that he isn't a liability by comparison. It doesn't sound like either guy is a liability right now, which is a good problem to have.

The core of being a fan is being a time waster. All of sport is a waste of time for spectators, it is a not important, nor reality, it is just an escape from things that are important and that are real. I have a favorite qb, if he isn't made qb I will hold a grudge against Gebbia forever and just wait for him to fail, and I will rail against the t.v every int he throws and then say I told you so. People on a free online message board discussing college football are the last ones to judge is something is time wasting or not.

I can say with complete confidence that I believe most of the time I spend on this site is wasting my time, because I'm not being productive when I'm here. :D But dammit, I enjoy reading all the practice reports, and like to hear different perspectives, if those perspectives don't suck. Winking

Just from reading between the lines and from people I have talked to, I would be shocked if Gebbia wasn't the starter and Martinez to get some time also. From the sounds of it, Martinez has made some wow plays in practice, but has lacked the consistency that Gebbia has shown. I have long thought(and I think said here a few times) that I think Gebbia can be very effective in this offense and Martinez can eventually be a star someday. He just may not be there yet. This is a great problem to have. A QB competition between talented QB's for once. I think it will make both of them better.

Thank you Kaz for obviously having an open mind about the whole QB race. Unfortunately that is not really been the case on this board.

Reactions: Baxter48
Thank you Kaz for obviously having an open mind about the whole QB race. Unfortunately that is not really been the case on this board.
I think people make too much of the fact that Martinez was Frost's "chosen one" and that Gebbia was recruited by Riley. I have heard people make the argument that Frost made a trip to see Martinez after the COG and that means he should be the starter. Of course he did. Martinez is an incredible talent and Frost had no idea what he had at QB since he was taking over players that ran a pro style offense. I'm sure he was pleasantly surprised when he saw what he had with Bunch and Gebbia. In fact, I would argue that Gebbia fits Frost's offense better than Riley's.

Just from reading between the lines and from people I have talked to, I would be shocked if Gebbia wasn't the starter and Martinez to get some time also. From the sounds of it, Martinez has made some wow plays in practice, but has lacked the consistency that Gebbia has shown. I have long thought(and I think said here a few times) that I think Gebbia can be very effective in this offense and Martinez can eventually be a star someday. He just may not be there yet. This is a great problem to have. A QB competition between talented QB's for once. I think it will make both of them better.

The way it sounds is he plays like like iceman. Ice cold. No mistakes.
giphy.gif

We will find out soon enough. I just hope no matter who the starter is, we back him 100% and give him time to grow and make his freshman mistakes. It WILL happen with Gebbia or Martinez. Like Kaz36 said, both are a great talent and both can play great in Frosts offense. This is a GREAT problem to have. If it’s Gebbia, that’s no knock on Martinez, he is only a true freshman and barely 18 years old. He will have his time, he will kill it in our offense and for our Huskers. Plus side, either QB will be loaded and surrounded by weapons at RB and WR.

The new Rshrt rule will have a big impact in this decision as Martinez can season a bit and still play the last 4 games and then be a FROSH again next year. Just think Tua would have been a frosh again if the rule was in place last year, even though he was the hero of the national title game. The idea of "starter" just doesn't matter as much with the fact that kids can play 1/3 of the season and still get a redshirt. I also think the schedule is going to point towards gebbia a bit. Putting a true frosh in games at Michigan, Ohio state, Wisconsin, and Iowa is asking for a beat down...Martinez is still a vastly superior prospect in Frosts former systems but the mental aspect is very important for an offense that is so new to so many players.

And why do you say this? We've seen them both move on the football field. One is a much better athlete. One has worked his ass off in the film room so far, and may be better at processing more info. quickly right now. Is that considered underestimating Gebbia? The fact is...we can only make assumptions based on the data we've seen.

I would ultimately rather see a dual-threat QB in this system, and apparently so would Frost, but none of us that aren't at all the practices really know much of anything for sure. They both looked capable in the spring game, and we know they are both still learning. That's really about all we know right now. Anything else in these forms is mostly supposition.

You sound like a broken record. Rawwwr! Dual-threat QB. Rawwwr!

Reactions: TheBeav815
You sound like a broken record. Rawwwr! Dual-threat QB. Rawwwr!

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but our head coach likes running QBs in his system, so you'll probably have to get used to hearing the term.

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but our head coach likes running QBs in his system, so you'll probably have to get used to hearing the term.

Sounds like YOU like running QBs. I like QBs that can run enough when necessary, but have their heads on straight to run this offense. Do we really want to dumb down the offense so that Martinez can grasp it? But he's thick...

Sounds like YOU like running QBs. I like QBs that can run enough when necessary, but have their heads on straight to run this offense. Do we really want to dumb down the offense so that Martinez can grasp it? But he's thick...

Usually you are a decent poster, Boxes, but this one is bordering on lunacy. Since being QB coach and OC at Oregon, as well as being head coach at UCF, out of the 7 QBs Oregon and UCF received commitments from, all 7 were classified as Dual-Threat. I think that's a pretty good record of wanting running QBs, wouldn't you say? Not to mention coaching a Heisman winner and last season's results with Milton.

And then saying Martinez can't grasp the offense?? So being neck and neck with Gebbia isn't grasping the offense? I think you need to get some sleep, then start over tomorrow. Some really poor comments.

Reactions: Husker-NJ
Usually you are a decent poster, Boxes, but this one is bordering on lunacy. Since being QB coach and OC at Oregon, as well as being head coach at UCF, out of the 7 QBs Oregon and UCF received commitments from, all 7 were classified as Dual-Threat. I think that's a pretty good record of wanting running QBs, wouldn't you say? Not to mention coaching a Heisman winner and last season's results with Milton.

And then saying Martinez can't grasp the offense?? So being neck and neck with Gebbia isn't grasping the offense? I think you need to get some sleep, then start over tomorrow. Some really poor comments.

You are reading what you want to read. I'm saying it's more important to have a QB that can get the ball to the skill positions and that can grasp the offense. I'm not bagging on AM for anything. I just loathe this coronation of the man based your "feelings". The same can be said for your evaluation of Gebbia. Give him a fair shake and not be so quick because he's not built like a running back.

You are reading what you want to read. I'm saying it's more important to have a QB that can get the ball to the skill positions and that can grasp the offense. I'm not bagging on AM for anything. I just loathe this coronation of the man based your "feelings". The same can be said for your evaluation of Gebbia. Give him a fair shake and not be so quick because he's not built like a running back.

Again, I don't get why you think I'm reading into anything. 7/7 QBs recruited by Oregon and Frost at UCF were run/pass QBs. That tells me that Frost likes the idea of having a mobile QB.

I'm not reading anything other than what the coaches have provided us. I believe them when they say they are neck and neck. I ultimately think Gebbia will start, simply because he has more time in as a college QB, and might appear to be more comfortable with the offense right now. But that is mostly speculation on my part. I don't think we need to "dumb down the offense" for Martinez. If anything, I would think they would call plays based on both of their strengths in the offense.

Apologies if this was already discussed, but does anyone else have concerns about the QBs not taking contact up until game day?
Neither QB has played in a game in ~2 years, and if they want QBs to be “mobile”, I’m a little concerned by this green jersey approach. I get that year 1, two young QBs you wanna prep w/o injury. But when they go live I hope our QB(s) can have that layer of physicality/toughness (and not fumble) after being on the sideline so long.

Apologies if this was already discussed, but does anyone else have concerns about the QBs not taking contact up until game day?
Neither QB has played in a game in ~2 years, and if they want QBs to be “mobile”, I’m a little concerned by this green jersey approach. I get that year 1, two young QBs you wanna prep w/o injury. But when they go live I hope our QB(s) can have that layer of physicality/toughness (and not fumble) after being on the sideline so long.
I agree, whether he's a pocket passer or a dual threat, a qb's going to get hit during a game. I think you need to have some sort of preparation for that, and I think it's best to do that a little bit in practice. The hits in game situations are only going to be harder and more violent.

I agree, whether he's a pocket passer or a dual threat, a qb's going to get hit during a game. I think you need to have some sort of preparation for that, and I think it's best to do that a little bit in practice. The hits in game situations are only going to be harder and more violent.

They may be planning to limit running plays early in the season or they may have full contact during the Akron week once they have their 1s set. I know the old husker teams used to go 1v1 during game weeks and they would get wild. People would lose their minds if one of these guys broke a leg in the spring game or fall practice when we don't have any depth at the position.m

They may be planning to limit running plays early in the season or they may have full contact during the Akron week once they have their 1s set. I know the old husker teams used to go 1v1 during game weeks and they would get wild. People would lose their minds if one of these guys broke a leg in the spring game or fall practice when we don't have any depth at the position.m
Some guys that are recovering from injury will be contact but you can't bring him to the ground. I don't see why we couldn't do that with our qb's. At least they'd be used to some sort of contact while also limiting injury chances.

ADVERTISEMENT