ADVERTISEMENT

Starting QB

Who said they were? I sure as heck didn't. This is Scott's fear we are talking about, not that I think either would actually transfer. Go listen to him talk about how 'in a couple of days' we will come up with an answer, and at another time he talks about just letting it play out. Sure, it could be that he doesn't know, but I call bs on that. He's not going to learn anything new in a couple of days. It's his own fear that someone could transfer, and so he's not going to put himself in that situation. Try some reading comprehension.

Heck, who knew we had Mario earlier in a post and now Scott Frost posting. This is great, we get inside info for free.

If he Frost was fearful one of them would transfer, he would have pursued Burrow or the kid from Arizona with more urgency.

The couple of days comment has more to do with getting ready for game 1 then it does fear of transfer. You....er Frost said they would spend a little time at the end of next week on Akron, before getting into normal routine,with an off day Sunday and physical practices M-W.

Reactions: schuele
Heck, who knew we had Mario earlier in a post and now Scott Frost posting. This is great, we get inside info for free.

If he Frost was fearful one of them would transfer, he would have pursued Burrow or the kid from Arizona with more urgency.

The couple of days comment has more to do with getting ready for game 1 then it does fear of transfer. You....er Frost said they would spend a little time at the end of next week on Akron, before getting into normal routine,with an off day Sunday and physical practices M-W.
Don't be a clown.. it's called reading between the lines and working backwards from what you see. It takes a little bit of thought.. and Burrow was never interested in Nebraska, so although you apparently had your poor little heart broken over that one, maybe there is another 4 star you can complain about losing.

Don't be a clown.. it's called reading between the lines and working backwards from what you see. It takes a little bit of thought.. and Burrow was never interested in Nebraska, so although you apparently had your poor little heart broken over that one, maybe there is another 4 star you can complain about losing.

I never wanted Nebraska to pursue Burrow. I was against it from the start. So don’t come at me with that BS. You are just making shit up. If you want to read between the lines, it’s all about timing. He wants a starter named before they go into Akron week, they start Akron week next Thursday or Friday. They only have a “few days” of practice between now and then.

Your conspiracy theory holds no water.

Listening to the interview again in live time I'm not sure now I believe my own post...... Sam McKweon passed along some info yesterday that he must have gotten from either current or former players about what has been going on in scrimmages and that's where I get that Martinez has thrown some INTs. Clearly Frost states that Martinez had the better scrimmage Friday but cut Gebbia some slack for the 3 bad snaps that killed his drives. He may very well have his starter picked but you sure wouldn't know it by the way he talks. I think it's very close.
I guess we are just going to have to wait and see. Damn!

There is a difference between "reading between the lines" and "reading into the lines" shit that isn't there. You have ZERO idea and ZERO real knowledge of what it is Frost is thinking. You are sooo convinced that Frost already knows who his starter is that you concoct this little scenario in your head as to what he must be up to. Did it ever cross your mind that maybe, just maybe, oh..... just maybe, Frost is being honest when he says the QB race is neck and neck, back and forth? That maybe he really is waiting until the last moment to name a starter to let the competition play out completely? That maybe the closer one gets to the opening game we will see one guy get stressed and start pressing while the other guy stays even keeled? I remember when I was a teacher I would often assume that a student who got 75-80% on the three previous exams would get the same on the final, only to have him/her nail it at the end. Same thing could happen here.

There is a difference between "reading between the lines" and "reading into the lines" shit that isn't there. You have ZERO idea and ZERO real knowledge of what it is Frost is thinking. You are sooo convinced that Frost already knows who his starter is that you concoct this little scenario in your head as to what he must be up to. Did it ever cross your mind that maybe, just maybe, oh..... just maybe, Frost is being honest when he says the QB race is neck and neck, back and forth? That maybe he really is waiting until the last moment to name a starter to let the competition play out completely? That maybe the closer one gets to the opening game we will see one guy get stressed and start pressing while the other guy stays even keeled? I remember when I was a teacher I would often assume that a student who got 75-80% on the three previous exams would get the same on the final, only to have him/her nail it at the end. Same thing could happen here.

Damn well stated sir. I think there's a REAL good chance that SF is not a liar.

I never wanted Nebraska to pursue Burrow. I was against it from the start. So don’t come at me with that BS. You are just making shit up. If you want to read between the lines, it’s all about timing. He wants a starter named before they go into Akron week, they start Akron week next Thursday or Friday. They only have a “few days” of practice between now and then.

You're the one who brought up Burrow first, not me. It is all about timing.. but has nothing to do with the mighty Akron game.. he's known who the starter will be for awhile now. He's not going to learn anything new in these last 'precious' few practices.. :rolleyes:

Your students likely cheated on the final.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
You're the one who brought up Burrow first, not me. It is all about timing.. but has nothing to do with the mighty Akron game.. he's known who the starter will be for awhile now. He's not going to learn anything new in these last 'precious' few practices.. :rolleyes:

Clearly you are just arguing to argue. That’s cool. I do it frequently.

You are correct, I did bring Burrow into the discussion but not because he was necessarily an option but because if Frost was concerned about one of his top 2 QBs leaving he would have done something to address the depth during the summer and not gone full douche bag and told a kid he was in a race that was decided long ago.

Anyone who has ever competed for anything knows they have lost or won before the coach announces anything. If Gebbia believed he was just being strung along he would know because he would see that the other dude was out performing him. Again like Burrow did at Ohio St. Meyer never announced a starter but Burrow bolted anyway, why you ask? Because he knew the answer.

Clearly you are just arguing to argue. That’s cool. I do it frequently.

You are correct, I did bring Burrow into the discussion but not because he was necessarily an option but because if Frost was concerned about one of his top 2 QBs leaving he would have done something to address the depth during the summer and not gone full douche bag and told a kid he was in a race that was decided long ago.

Anyone who has ever competed for anything knows they have lost or won before the coach announces anything. If Gebbia believed he was just being strung along he would know because he would see that the other dude was out performing him. Again like Burrow did at Ohio St. Meyer never announced a starter but Burrow bolted anyway, why you ask? Because he knew the answer.
Indeed. People have complained in the past of a lack of a QB battle and that the 2nd string flavor of the season should be given an honest chance. It does seem that this is an actual closely fought battle. Frost said Friday that if the game were that day both deserved to play. And Bunch is no slouch either.
If Frost has the fix in, and is splitting reps just to keep a kid in the fold,that would be kind of stupid. Why not have “his guy” run with the ones and get reps and develop better chemistry with his backs and receivers.

Reactions: timnsun and schuele
Martinez will be the qb unless he has a mental breakdown or is injured. He is so far ahead of Gebbia physically, remember he is a year younger, coming off of a major injury, and he played in the system. Everything he does is smoother, simpler, and more natural. Frost wants the qb to take 5-10 hits a game in the run game, especially on 3rd and short. The Qb has to be a reliable option in order to run the read. Gebbia doesn't have the speed, agility, but is also dramatically smaller and less physical. That is a big deal in the spread option, especially in short yardage and in the big 10. Gebbia also has less pure arm strength, less power throwing on the run, or with his leg space limited, or in an unnatural position. Gebbia requires a pocket with plenty of leg space, which is fine because he is a pocket passer meant for an NFL system. He takes way more energy to make throws, and has to involve his entire body. Again, fine in an NFL system but not optimum in a read option system like Frosts where the qb throws on the run or in mid-read. Milton wasn't huge but he was very accurate in multiple launch angles, Martinez doesn't seem to have that level of diversity in throws yet but he does appear to be able to get a ball off, with juice, with just his arm or with his feet out of rhythm. Great qbs either have to have arms strength without legs and accuracy from multiple angles(favre) or amazing feet to always get set and quickly. That is a big deal because he will be asked to fake to rb, take off running, and then throw to a TE, RB, WR option when the d collapses on him. Gebbia not only can't fake on the read properly, but he is not nearly as natural in making these awkward whip throws. He is still the more experienced college player but every day that advantage wanes. The only thing that could give Gebbia the win is if Martinez played and acted like a true freshman. He does not, he plays with confidence and poise, carries himself well on the field and in interviews and is a good teammate who can win the team. Having two qbs is a great option especially when they are both so young and so naming Martinez early would have hurt Gebbia's development as a backup, and he will be needed. A freshman getting through a full season without injury is unheard of. I suppose keeping the competition going so long may keep Gebbia from transferring this season, which will bolster our depth. There is no way that an undersized, pocket qb, who requires massive leg space and time to throw. who is still a RSH Frosh with no experience in the system is going to be the qb.

Martinez will be the qb unless he has a mental breakdown or is injured. He is so far ahead of Gebbia physically, remember he is a year younger, coming off of a major injury, and he played in the system. Everything he does is smoother, simpler, and more natural. Frost wants the qb to take 5-10 hits a game in the run game, especially on 3rd and short. The Qb has to be a reliable option in order to run the read. Gebbia doesn't have the speed, agility, but is also dramatically smaller and less physical. That is a big deal in the spread option, especially in short yardage and in the big 10. Gebbia also has less pure arm strength, less power throwing on the run, or with his leg space limited, or in an unnatural position. Gebbia requires a pocket with plenty of leg space, which is fine because he is a pocket passer meant for an NFL system. He takes way more energy to make throws, and has to involve his entire body. Again, fine in an NFL system but not optimum in a read option system like Frosts where the qb throws on the run or in mid-read. Milton wasn't huge but he was very accurate in multiple launch angles, Martinez doesn't seem to have that level of diversity in throws yet but he does appear to be able to get a ball off, with juice, with just his arm or with his feet out of rhythm. Great qbs either have to have arms strength without legs and accuracy from multiple angles(favre) or amazing feet to always get set and quickly. That is a big deal because he will be asked to fake to rb, take off running, and then throw to a TE, RB, WR option when the d collapses on him. Gebbia not only can't fake on the read properly, but he is not nearly as natural in making these awkward whip throws. He is still the more experienced college player but every day that advantage wanes. The only thing that could give Gebbia the win is if Martinez played and acted like a true freshman. He does not, he plays with confidence and poise, carries himself well on the field and in interviews and is a good teammate who can win the team. Having two qbs is a great option especially when they are both so young and so naming Martinez early would have hurt Gebbia's development as a backup, and he will be needed. A freshman getting through a full season without injury is unheard of. I suppose keeping the competition going so long may keep Gebbia from transferring this season, which will bolster our depth. There is no way that an undersized, pocket qb, who requires massive leg space and time to throw. who is still a RSH Frosh with no experience in the system is going to be the qb.
And yet, Frost says they are neck and neck. I assume that’s just coach speak, in your opinion?

And yet, Frost says they are neck and neck. I assume that’s just coach speak, in your opinion?

Qbs can be rated closely but the choice is still obvious. The fact that they are neck and neck tells a lot. Gebbia is a highly rated guy who has a year of experience in college, Martinez is coming off a big injury, just graduated HS and has been on campus for 8 months. He is a true freshman who has overcome all of the newness and adjustment issues to conceivably be the guy. You can't underestimate how hard it is for a true frosh to play any position in the first game, even special teams. Yet Martinez is poised to be starting at the Big House in a month and a half as the next Qb at the university of Nebraska. He has by FAR the biggest upside and no discernable downside, other than maybe injury history. I still see them both playing a lot but everyone knows that Martinez is the future but Gebbia could provide stability when Martinez grinds down in November. A smart coach would keep the competition neck and neck just to keep Gebbia on campus, even through the first few weeks. But the starter has to be named and ready for Michigan.

Hard to argue with this... solid points.. especially the short yardage point. I think that if it is truly neck and neck... the tie goes to Martinez due to his upside.

I am expressing no bias in this statement or saying I have an idea who the starter is going to be. But again I am stating unequivocally that people continue to underestimate all part of Gebbia's talent and what he is capable of!

I am expressing no bias in this statement or saying I have an idea who the starter is going to be. But again I am stating unequivocally that people continue to underestimate all part of Gebbia's talent and what he is capable of!

there just isn't precedent for a guy his size, with a lack of dominate athletic ability, playing in an unfamiliar system, being a successful qb. Joe Ganz had 4 years in the WCO offense before he rolled on the scene. I'm glad we have Gebbia, he may play 200 snaps this year...in fact I could see him getting a majority of the snaps through September. But barring injury Amart will be the guy.

Right now, "fastest blinker" wins. It's not so much about who runs or passes the best. Both have outstanding abilities, albeit, with different strengths. Whomever makes the fewest mistakes with reading coverages, making check downs, and making the right decisions at the right time. Right now, it's Gebbia. He only has to run well enough to move the offense, make good throws, and be a good game manager. He's got a ton of offensive weapons at his disposal at WR, RB, TE, and DuckR. With that being said, I do think Martinez will eventually master these things and be the starter by the time we get to conference games, but both will play early and often.

Last edited:
Reactions: WHCSC
Right now, "fastest blinker" wins.
If the competition is to mean anything and Frost's word mean anything to the players going forward, the starter has to be the kid who actually wins the competition. Not the guy who the fans expect to win the competition. NU fans have bitched and moaned about the lack of competition at QB like forever. It seems now that is actually the case. The QB room will be better for it.
If Gebbia is the better decision maker, he should start. The rest of his tool kit is more than sufficient to be successful in Frost's offense. If Martinez is as good in the decision making department, he should start as he has a better upside.

If the competition is to mean anything and Frost's word mean anything to the players going forward, the starter has to be the kid who actually wins the competition. Not the guy who the fans expect to win the competition. NU fans have bitched and moaned about the lack of competition at QB like forever. It seems now that is actually the case. The QB room will be better for it.
If Gebbia is the better decision maker, he should start. The rest of his tool kit is more than sufficient to be successful in Frost's offense. If Martinez is as good in the decision making department, he should start as he has a better upside.

That sounds fair enough to me. Whoever loses will give NU a very talented back-up qb.

Reactions: huskerssalts
I honestly have no care if it’s Gebbia or Martinez. I admit the lack of love Gebbia has gotten from a bunch of our Husker fans since we landed Martinez has me rooting more for Gebbia. But truthfully I could careless whichever one wins the spot. Both are very talented QBs and bring different elements to the table. We are in good hands with either one.

I honestly have no care if it’s Gebbia or Martinez. I admit the lack of love Gebbia has gotten from a bunch of our Husker fans since we landed Martinez has me rooting more for Gebbia. But truthfully I could careless whichever one wins the spot. Both are very talented QBs and bring different elements to the table. We are in good hands with either one.

It's a nice feeling to have two solid options. It's been a while.

Sounds like a bad practice today. Starting QB still neck and neck with another situational scrimmage tomorrow.

I wanted Nebraska to pursue Burrow...

simpsons___boo_urns.jpg

Maybe one of our sports lawyers can answer. If they leave but are still counted as on scholarship until January (as are the guys leaving NU), can they also receive a scholarship at another school and join this late?

You should probably stick to RB prognostication. Whoops, guess not..

Please. Healthy Tre is 1A or 2 at the worst[/B]

And why do you say this? We've seen them both move on the football field. One is a much better athlete. One has worked his ass off in the film room so far, and may be better at processing more info. quickly right now. Is that considered underestimating Gebbia? The fact is...we can only make assumptions based on the data we've seen.

I would ultimately rather see a dual-threat QB in this system, and apparently so would Frost, but none of us that aren't at all the practices really know much of anything for sure. They both looked capable in the spring game, and we know they are both still learning. That's really about all we know right now. Anything else in these forms is mostly supposition.

And why do you say this? We've seen them both move on the football field. One is a much better athlete. One has worked his ass off in the film room so far, and may be better at processing more info. quickly right now. Is that considered underestimating Gebbia? The fact is...we can only make assumptions based on the data we've seen.

I would ultimately rather see a dual-threat QB in this system, and apparently so would Frost, but none of us that aren't at all the practices really know much of anything for sure. They both looked capable in the spring game, and we know they are both still learning. That's really about all we know right now. Anything else in these forms is mostly supposition.
I agree that I would rather see a dual threat QB as well, but not if he can’t run the offense.

That said, AM might be able to run this offense well, even this year. He’s still very young. But if Frost goes with Gebbia it’s obvious that it is because Gebbia is grasping the offense better.

If my options are a QB who can run this offense better over a QB who can simply run better, then give me the first guy.

Whoever the starter is against Akron, realize that there is probably a better than 50/50 shot that someone else will start some games this year. Injuries, practice battles, wins/losses, etc.

I agree that I would rather see a dual threat QB as well, but not if he can’t run the offense.

That said, AM might be able to run this offense well, even this year. He’s still very young. But if Frost goes with Gebbia it’s obvious that it is because Gebbia is grasping the offense better.

If my options are a QB who can run this offense better over a QB who can simply run better, then give me the first guy.

And if he chooses Martinez, it will also be the very same reason...because he runs the offense better. The point is, we are all wasting a great deal of time on this topic (and many others for that matter), because none of us have the required data in front of us to have any idea what we are talking about. We are all just doing this.. Sick

It's funny how mostly otherwise reasonable people don't take the time to realize how truly fruitless time wasters these exchanges are. We all know what we want to happen, but we have no idea what is going on behind closed doors, and yet we try to act as if we are sitting at the head of the table. It's why I try not to come here as often anymore...because I know I am going to get sucked into an exchange that is going to completely waste my afternoon or evening, when I can be much more productive doing something else. :D

And if he chooses Martinez, it will also be the very same reason...because he runs the offense better. The point is, we are all wasting a great deal of time on this topic (and many others for that matter), because none of us have the required data in front of us to have any idea what we are talking about. We are all just doing this.. Sick

It's funny how mostly otherwise reasonable people don't take the time to realize how truly fruitless time wasters these exchanges are. We all know what we want to happen, but we have no idea what is going on behind closed doors, and yet we try to act as if we are sitting at the head of the table. It's why I try not to come here as often anymore...because I know I am going to get sucked into an exchange that is going to completely waste my afternoon or evening, when I can be much more productive doing something else. :D

...unless of course you really do know the answer.

The core of being a fan is being a time waster. All of sport is a waste of time for spectators, it is a not important, nor reality, it is just an escape from things that are important and that are real. I have a favorite qb, if he isn't made qb I will hold a grudge against Gebbia forever and just wait for him to fail, and I will rail against the t.v every int he throws and then say I told you so. People on a free online message board discussing college football are the last ones to judge is something is time wasting or not.

I am not an insider and never will be... You won't find me saying QB a will be starting over QB b... I have no way of knowing. All I can do is listen to the coaches and see what they say. So when the coaches say the battle is still too close to call, I take their word for it. Maybe they are just saying that, who knows? Maybe some are right when they say Martinez is the guy that will start game 1. But Frost hasn't said this yet, so when people come on here with all the confidence in the world that it will be Martinez, I just don't get it. Hoosker, you are absolutely correct in saying we don't really know. What goes on here is just opinions, unless there are some real insiders...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT