ADVERTISEMENT

Starting QB

The Gebbia circlejerk ended rather abruptly.
^^^Missed the entire point of the thread.

If you listened to his comments they matched VERBATIM, what people who were saying in this thread about if Gebbia starts its because he does the effeciency piece better than Martinez. Period. Athleticism is #3.

Edit: different thread discussing the starting QB topic. It's al lthe same at this point.

If you have 2 QBs it means you dont have a QB. Bad news

I don't really buy that. Chris Leak/Tebow, Joe Germaine/Stanley Jackson....Brook/Tommie in the title game. It can work. Doesn't mean it will, but it can.

^^^Missed the entire point of the thread.

If you listened to his comments they matched VERBATIM, what people who were saying in this thread about if Gebbia starts its because he does the effeciency piece better than Martinez. Period. Athleticism is #3.

Edit: different thread discussing the starting QB topic. It's al lthe same at this point.
It was a joke.

To my mind, Martinez is your "higher ceiling but lower floor" guy and Gebbia is your "lower ceiling but higher floor" guy for this particular scheme.

From a pure development standpoint I like the idea of getting both of them reps, but I don't love playing 2 QBs in games because we all know what the fans and reporters will do with that.

@kakdawg had a good point on RSS the other day. Since Gebbia is probably the better thrower of the two right now, he is probably a better fit since we do have a lot of play makers on offense and he may be better suited to get the ball to them consistantly and it sounds like Frost kind of confirmed that in his press conference today. I wasn't able to hear it, but heard a radio guy talking about it that Frost mentioned this and didn't directly refer to a specific QB, but basically the radio guy took it as he was talking about Gebbia. I think that if this offense didn't really have much for WR's or play makers, then maybe Martinez would be better suited because of his legs and the ability to make plays with them.

I honestly don't care which one it is, I just want the one who gives our offense the best chance to succeed. As it sounds right now, Gebbia has the better arm, but is no slouch when it comes to running and that Martinez is better with the legs, but is no slouch with the arm. It sounds like it will come down to whoever can process and make decisions the best right now.

I don't really buy that. Chris Leak/Tebow, Joe Germaine/Stanley Jackson....Brook/Tommie in the title game. It can work. Doesn't mean it will, but it can.

It can work sometimes, but you also run the risk of dividing the locker room.

Reactions: SC_'sker
I agree, don't buy this mantra at all. Just because 2 players are evenly matched doesn't mean they suck.

I was just going back to listen to that again. I was pretty sure he said, and I am paraphrasing, if we had a game today, they both deserves to play.
That is what I heard as well. I am sure we are soon going to go heavy into language parsing his entire speech though :p

That is what I heard as well. I am sure we are soon going to go heavy into language parsing his entire speech though :p

I am sure, but for all of those reporters to take what he clearly said and put it into a totally different context is a little irresponsible.

We hear it all the time, both teams deserved to win that game. But one of them lost. Just report what he said.

It goes both ways. If a player can transfer at anytime, then a coach can decide to do whatever he wants, play him or not play him, while he's here. If a coach is a douche for not playing someone, then a player is a douche for leaving his team behind when he could have helped them out.

I don’t think it is as simple as playing him or not playing him.

A coach lying to a player by telling him is in a competition just to keep him from transferring is much different than a player, who has been told he isn’t good enough to win the job wanting to go somewhere else to play.

A logical comparison would be if a starting QB goes through the fall and then the day before classes start decides to transfer, leaving the team in a spot.

I don’t think that is the case.

Regardless, I don’t think Frost is stringing Gebbia a long just to keep him in the fold so the argument is somewhat irrelevant.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I'm less worried about which one of these two gets the most snaps than I am about whether the new staff has found players who can block well enough to keep them both from getting killed.

I've been saying since winter I think Gebbia wins the job. Martinez has the higher ceiling based on what he can do with his feet, but his arm and his brain need to progress for that ceiling to be reached.

I say that Gebbia has a higher ceiling based on what he can do with his arm. Then again, Martinez sure does look thick! :p

I'm less worried about which one of these two gets the most snaps than I am about whether the new staff has found players who can block well enough to keep them both from getting killed.
Sounds like they're pretty happy with the top 5 but concerned about tackle depth. We're going to see starting guards sliding out to OT if we have any injuries there it sounds like to me. That's what they did at times at UCF and Austin's interview the other day said they're cross training guys to be able to do that.

whoever is the #1 qb better be ready to play, cause we never switch qb's unless we are getting completely blown out.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Does SF really need more time to make a decision or does he already know? Why else would he say next week or we need a few more days...?

To me, it's clearly obvious that he doesn't want to name anyone until after classes have started and after the transfer window closes.

Actually, it couldn't be more obvious.

And he also brought up his time as a QB and said that he doesn't believe in a 2 QB system, so whomever is going to get named, is going to be the guy.

This is about as telegraphed a situation as it could be.

He could still pick either guy, but being a special athlete himself, I think that is the direction that he is going to be biased to, and, it wouldn't surprise me if he made promises in the last recruiting cycle either.

If I am wrong, then so be it, but I will be shocked if TG is named the starter.

bet Martinez all.

Does SF really need more time to make a decision or does he already know? Why else would he say next week or we need a few more days...?

To me, it's clearly obvious that he doesn't want to name anyone until after classes have started and after the transfer window closes.

And he also brought up his time as a QB and said that he doesn't believe in a 2 QB system, so whomever is going to get named, is going to be the guy.

He could still pick either guy, but being a special athlete himself, I think that is the direction that he is going to be biased to, and, it wouldn't surprise me if he made promises in the last recruiting cycle either.

bet Martinez all.
I don't agree that he is timing this to avoid a transfer. But if he is, then shame on him. I think he has more character than that and would not string an athlete on. But what do I know ? Do I know Frost personally? Nope. For all I know his public persona is a fraud and he is really, deep down, a win-at-all-costs douche bag.
But I don't think so. The loyalty of his whole staff and his former players argues otherwise. Everything we have been told about this guy from the people who do know him is that he is a man of honesty and integrity. That is good enough for me.

However... perhaps in the coaching ranks, even among honorable coaches, this strategy of waiting until classes start, is considered acceptable. Perhaps they view it as insuring that committed players stand by the integrity of their commitment. Maybe they view it as a legitimate way of defending the program from "me first" type players. I have no idea. But it is possible.

Where I do agree with your post is that I think Frost knows who his starter is. I think he is being honest when he says both guys are pretty equal in practice and both "deserve" to play. But that is a different issue from knowing who the starter will be. Because who the starter is will be influenced by more factors than just practice grades. Other factors are:
1. Who has the highest ceiling athletically for this offense?
2. What promises or clear insinuations were made in the recruiting process?
3. Who do the players respect more?

My gut says Frost already knows that Martinez will be the starter.

My gut says Frost already knows that Martinez will be the starter.
I think your gut just picked up a bug from you critters. Everything Frost said yesterday in his interviews led me to believe that Gebbia is probably ahead. Rumors have it that Martinez still is having issues with his decision making and has been throwing too many INTs. Gebbia had some issues with some bad snaps in the last scrimmage. I'm assuming that happened with the backup center. Frost said that Gebbia's strengths are his arm and decision making.....the decision making part Frost and Super Mario have said all along is the most important thing for one of his QBs. Frost said Martinez's strength is his running ability. I honestly believe that there is in fact a QB competition ongoing and that Frost is giving both time to sort it out with their play in practice. I also think Bunch was given a fair chance and that he would be ready IF both of our top 2 would go down.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker

bet Martinez all.
You may be right... or, it truly may be a case where it is too close to call. Remember, he said they are flip flopping on who has the better day in practice. One day Gebbia, the next Martinez. To me, that could indicate he is giving them more time so that the one who is consistently better finally gets the nod.

I don’t think it’s obvious that he’s stringing Gebbia along. I think he is giving hem more time to see which one rises to the top.

Maybe.

Reactions: dinglefritz

bet Martinez all.
Man you come up with some stupid shit, neither of these kids are going anywhere right now.

Last edited:
I think your gut just picked up a bug from you critters. Everything Frost said yesterday in his interviews led me to believe that Gebbia is probably ahead. Rumors have it that Martinez still is having issues with his decision making and has been throwing too many INTs. Gebbia had some issues with some bad snaps in the last scrimmage. I'm assuming that happened with the backup center. Frost said that Gebbia's strengths are his arm and decision making.....the decision making part Frost and Super Mario have said all along is the most important thing for one of his QBs. Frost said Martinez's strength is his running ability. I honestly believe that there is in fact a QB competition ongoing and that Frost is giving both time to sort it out with their play in practice. I also think Bunch was given a fair chance and that he would be ready IF both of our top 2 would go down.
Lol. Getting a gut bug from my critters would not be fun.
I like your analysis of Frost's comments. I think you just changed my mind. That does not happen often. Ask my wife ...

Lol. Getting a gut bug from my critters would not be fun.
I like your analysis of Frost's comments. I think you just changed my mind. That does not happen often. Ask my wife ...
Listening to the interview again in live time I'm not sure now I believe my own post...... Sam McKweon passed along some info yesterday that he must have gotten from either current or former players about what has been going on in scrimmages and that's where I get that Martinez has thrown some INTs. Clearly Frost states that Martinez had the better scrimmage Friday but cut Gebbia some slack for the 3 bad snaps that killed his drives. He may very well have his starter picked but you sure wouldn't know it by the way he talks. I think it's very close.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Listening to the interview again in live time I'm not sure now I believe my own post...... Sam McKweon passed along some info yesterday that he must have gotten from either current or former players about what has been going on in scrimmages and that's where I get that Martinez has thrown some INTs. Clearly Frost states that Martinez had the better scrimmage Friday but cut Gebbia some slack for the 3 bad snaps that killed his drives. He may very well have his starter picked but you sure wouldn't know it by the way he talks. I think it's very close.
of course coaches do EVERYTHING they can to try to keep QBs from transferring.
they are not in it to do whats best for each and every kid.
they are in it to win and win first.
if the kids think otherwise they are completely stupid.
there are QBs in the NFL who rarely played in college because they strung along for years as the backup in college.
thats the risk these elite QBs take when they are willing to accept a scholarship to a school that already has plenty of QBs on campus. if u look all across the country the news on QB battles is the same at every school.
virtually none of the QB battles has been decided at least publicly.
its the new era of preventing transfers.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
of course coaches do EVERYTHING they can to try to keep QBs from transferring.
they are not in it to do whats best for each and every kid.
they are in it to win and win first.
if the kids think otherwise they are completely stupid.
there are QBs in the NFL who rarely played in college because they strung along for years as the backup in college.
thats the risk these elite QBs take when they are willing to accept a scholarship to a school that already has plenty of QBs on campus. if u look all across the country the news on QB battles is the same at every school.
virtually none of the QB battles has been decided at least publicly.
its the new era of preventing transfers.
Well NU really didn't have "plenty" of QBs on campus and if anything we're really short on scholarship guys now. We're a couple of tweaked ankles away from starting a walk on JUCO transfer AND then after that a true freshman walk on at QB. I hope that if Gebbia isn't the opening day starter, he is smart enough to realize that because IMO he would be the most likely guy to flee the scene.

Man you come up with some stupid shit, neither of these kids are going anywhere right now.
Who said they were? I sure as heck didn't. This is Scott's fear we are talking about, not that I think either would actually transfer. Go listen to him talk about how 'in a couple of days' we will come up with an answer, and at another time he talks about just letting it play out. Sure, it could be that he doesn't know, but I call bs on that. He's not going to learn anything new in a couple of days. It's his own fear that someone could transfer, and so he's not going to put himself in that situation. Try some reading comprehension.

ADVERTISEMENT