ADVERTISEMENT

Starting QB

Frost has been up front about the data that goes into his decision making on QBs. For Frost, a QB has to run well enough in order to get yardage when it is available. The battle for QB will be won on efficiency in the passing game and quickness in decision making, with the latter the most important metric. The QB will have a lot of tools at his disposal: Stan, JD, Bell, Tre (we hope), Maurice, McQuitty, Jones, Tyjon etc. The job is very much like that of a point guard.
If the battle was just about athleticism, AMart wins. But it isn't.

ok

I don't have a personal stake. I think either would be fine. I'd like to see both during the preseason so we know what we have for conference but I'm not sure how frost will handle it. Even the top guy has zero experience and could be justified in getting basically every game snap

Reactions: jeans15
When I posted that I’ll stick to my info. At the end of the day the media is taking their 20 minutes way too seriously. I’m still on Martinez train as of my last info. It still might change but I’m sticking to it as of now. If Gebbia plays himself in... great. That wasn’t the case before the scrimmage.

Their the media....they have all the minutes.

Regular folks get their 15 minutes... including message board insiders

When I posted that I’ll stick to my info. At the end of the day the media is taking their 20 minutes way too seriously. I’m still on Martinez train as of my last info. It still might change but I’m sticking to it as of now. If Gebbia plays himself in... great. That wasn’t the case before the scrimmage.

Gebbia was never third. Just stop.

Reactions: TheBeav815
That's worth a screen shot. LOL

Are you a betting man?

I am a betting man, and like I said practice changes. At the time Martinez was looking like 1, and Bunch was outplaying Gebbia. That's why you practice. Not so sure why that is so hard for you to comprehend?

I am a betting man, and like I said practice changes. At the time Martinez was looking like 1, and Bunch was outplaying Gebbia. That's why you practice. Not so sure why that is so hard for you to comprehend?
I take it you haven't heard the old saying "it's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're stupid rather than open it and remove all doubt". The same is true for posting on message boards.Winking

Last edited:
I guess we’ll know tomorrow when they scrimmage that should leave no doubt who is ahead of the other...

Results from the scrimmage could also change the scenario.

I've been saying since winter I think Gebbia wins the job. Martinez has the higher ceiling based on what he can do with his feet, but his arm and his brain need to progress for that ceiling to be reached.

Reactions: scarletred

When was this point when Martinez was #1? The spring game, when he scored and looked fast against the 2nd and 3rd sting defense?What is hard to understand, is why people ever though Martinez was a lock to start. Not saying he may not be the starter at some point, but he will pay his dues, and go through the learning curve like all players do.

When was this point when Martinez was #1? The spring game, when he scored and looked fast against the 2nd and 3rd sting defense?What is hard to understand, is why people ever though Martinez was a lock to start. Not saying he may not be the starter at some point, but he will pay his dues, and go through the learning curve like all players do.

During most of the practices before the scrimage, that's when.

That didn't happen, but if you are ingenuous, and gullible enough, you can get sucked in by all the hype we've been fed...
One thing seems certain. This QB race needs to drag on until after school starts so there is less chance of one of them transferring if he doesn't win the job.

Reactions: bmb81664

That must have been one hell of a scrimmage for TG. :rolleyes:

Keep in mind Martinez is just a true freshman. If gebbia is doing good and bunch can be the backup why wouldn't we save Martinez and redshirt him this year? Not to mention Martinez could play in 4 games this year to get experience and still keep his redshirt

For sure SF doesn't want Gebbia to transfer this year, so I think he slow plays him until classes start, then AM miraculously jumps ahead next week.

For sure SF doesn't want Gebbia to transfer this year, so I think he slow plays him until classes start, then AM miraculously jumps ahead next week.
If that’s how it happens, then I might lose a little respect for Scott Frost. If he has Gebbia ahead, like you say, until next week and then Martinez miraculously jump him… That wouldn’t sit well with me. If Martinez is the man and should be the man, don’t string Gebbia along. Be straight up with him, and let them know that he’s a play away from being the starter. Gebbia will respect that a whole lot more than being strung along. I don’t think he’s going to transfer before classes start, either way.

But if he does transfer, then I take all of this back. :)

Reactions: NikkiSixx
One thing seems certain. This QB race needs to drag on until after school starts so there is less chance of one of them transferring if he doesn't win the job.
I think one of them will eventually transfer regardless of when they name the starter. They are both the same year, with two more stud QBs coming in the next couple of years. If they want to play they will transfer the same way Johnny Stanton and POB did.

So you're saying you believe Frost to be a slimeball?
I didn't say that at all, but I do think the QB situation is being handled delicately.. Frost was a QB, and transferred as well. So, I think it would be foolish to not at least consider this scenario.

Reactions: timnsun
I think one of them will eventually transfer regardless of when they name the starter. They are both the same year, with two more stud QBs coming in the next couple of years. If they want to play they will transfer the same way Johnny Stanton and POB did.
A. Martinez has a redshirt left so there's potentially a year between them. Secondly, IF Gebbia is as talented as many think he is, he may not be at NU for anymore than 2 more years. I think Frost will handle this as well as anybody could hope for. He's been in their shoes....of course he transferred when he didn't like his spot so there is that.

I didn't say that at all, but I do think the QB situation is being handled delicately.. Frost was a QB, and transferred as well. So, I think it would be foolish to not at least consider this scenario.

That would be an unbelievable douche move.

That would be an unbelievable douche move.
So you must think the coaches don't know who the starter is yet? It's just convenient that they are all saying we will have some clarity on it next week. Okay.

LIke some others have said, SF has to win now and isn't going to punt on the season just because he doesn't have everyone he wants yet. Would it be wise to let a QB you might need transfer out like what sort of happened at LSU?

There are lots of things going on and lots of considerations, so it isn't as simple as some people make it seem.

Reactions: jeans15
From Gebbia's standpoint, IF he weren't named the starter it would be a tough decision IMO. I would hate it but completely understand it if he were to leave. IF Martinez gets named, Gebbia doesn't have a redshirt year left so he would either lose a year sitting out for another team OR lose 2 years by sticking around waiting to see if he can win the job via Martinez's poor play or injury. IF, he does transfer he has no guarantee he would be the guy unless maybe he goes to a lower tier program who would offer him that guarantee.....such as Michigan did for their transfer. IMO, Gebbia appears to have a lot of the traits that pro teams value and sitting on the bench behind a true dual threat guy might not get him where he ultimately wants to go. Tough decision and one I wouldn't want to have to make.

My one hope out of all the QB scenarios nationwide is that the kid Urban Meyer picked over Burrow flops tremendously.:D

From Gebbia's standpoint, IF he weren't named the starter it would be a tough decision IMO. I would hate it but completely understand it if he were to leave. IF Martinez gets named, Gebbia doesn't have a redshirt year left so he would either lose a year sitting out for another team OR lose 2 years by sticking around waiting to see if he can win the job via Martinez's poor play or injury. IF, he does transfer he has no guarantee he would be the guy unless maybe he goes to a lower tier program who would offer him that guarantee.....such as Michigan did for their transfer. IMO, Gebbia appears to have a lot of the traits that pro teams value and sitting on the bench behind a true dual threat guy might not get him where he ultimately wants to go. Tough decision and one I wouldn't want to have to make.

My one hope out of all the QB scenarios nationwide is that the kid Urban Meyer picked over Burrow flops tremendously.:D

I understand why a kid would transfer, I don't understand why it is an unbelievable douche move for a kid to transfer.

I understand why a kid would transfer, I don't understand why it is an unbelievable douche move for a kid to transfer.
Exactly. I was supporting your questioning of it being called a douche move. I should have replied to oldjar I guess.

For TG, if he thought he had no chance, he probably would be on a different practice field right now. He started college a semester early and is probably taking summer classes. Let's say Martinez bests him either in the next couple of weeks or ends up starting this fall. TG already has three semesters under his belt and could attain a degree another 2 years. He would then have two years to play as a grad transfer elsewhere. If he were to transfer after this season, he sits and scout teams a year and then has two seasons to play, as opposed to being a backup only one play away from going into the game for two years.

For TG, if he thought he had no chance, he probably would be on a different practice field right now. He started college a semester early and is probably taking summer classes. Let's say Martinez bests him either in the next couple of weeks or ends up starting this fall. TG already has three semesters under his belt and could attain a degree another 2 years. He would then have two years to play as a grad transfer elsewhere. If he were to transfer after this season, he sits and scout teams a year and then has two seasons to play, as opposed to being a backup only one play away from going into the game for two years.

If he is taking care of things in the classroom, and I am sure he is, I agree it would be smarter for him to get some reps here, maybe get in a few games and show what he can do, the graduate and transfer. With a summer load of 9-12 credits over 2 summer sessions for 3 years, He might could transfer after the summer of 2019 and actually have 3 years to play somewhere else.

Again assuming he doesn't win the job.

Reactions: TheBeav815
ADVERTISEMENT