ADVERTISEMENT

Starting QB

Besides if AM doesnt play this year in the 4 games our coaches are idiots...And I doubt they are.

Honest question here… If the coaches determine Gebbia is the quarterback most qualified to get us wins, will many on here think they are stupid?

Honest question here… If the coaches determine Gebbia is the quarterback most qualified to get us wins, will many on here think they are stupid?

I won't. I'm all in with the coaches, and they know what they are doing. I wouldn't say boo about it because I want to finally start winning. I think these guys are going to get the best people on the field no matter what to what they see. I'm excited for the season, and I think most on here would probably agree. I think the biggest thing is it is fun to talk about and breakdown since the season is finally here. It'll be fun to finally get to the first game and see how everyone's opinion and takes turn out.

I don't believe anyone here will think the coaches are stupid. But I believe some here will be disappointed if Gebbia is chosen over Martinez.

Call BS all you want. I guess we will see once the season starts. We can revisit in a few weeks once things play out. There is still time for things to change but I'd say Martinez starts unless he gets hurt.

Guess what broham. Go read the post just put up. Dude said it’s pretty much a Gebbia vs Martinez race while Bunch is running with the scrubs. You can obsess over Martinez being the starter all you want, but you have to be a complete fool to think Gebbia has not shot. A young man with his skills and hard work won’t be easy to beat. Believe that.

Last edited:
Reactions: spinner4
I want to believe you, but certain posters make me unsure...

Unfortunately I believe you are right. It’s honestly freaking sad too. Both Gebbia and Martinez have some hella talent, young and have a bright future. Why some are stuck on one over the other is almost sickening. Again, I’ll be happy with either one.

I would not count on Martinez being the starter! I get a kick out of people negating Gebbia especially based on the spring game. When talking to a couple of people who have a good idea what a college QB is supposed to be able to do both of them said if anything Gebbia should be a little ahead unless Frost based it on running ability only! I found that interesting!
Based off of everything thing I have seen and heard. Martinez in the better runner. Gebbia the better passer. If one doesn't far surpass the other. I could see both being equally used this year.

I heard from my cousin's roomate's sister's boyfriend, who was installing Satellite TV at Frost's house that the starter is going to Patrick O'Brien

Unfortunately I believe you are right. It’s honestly freaking sad too. Both Gebbia and Martinez have some hella talent, young and have a bright future. Why some are stuck on one over the other is almost sickening. Again, I’ll be happy with either one.

Some people just prefer a more mobile QB I think.

But but but Frost hasn’t made a decision yet. I hope the defenders of all things Frost are outbin full force if Gebbia is named the starter.

Nobody in their right mind.

Frost is responsible for Marcus Mariota’s development as well as McKenzie Milton.

Doubt many up here that might like to offer up criticism of his handling of QB’s have put too many into Heisman consideration.

Some people just prefer a more mobile QB I think.
I get that... you’ve got some pretty strong opinions on this, and you and many others may be absolutely right.

Was just curious if your guy isn’t picked how you would respond. I probably worded my question poorly... no one will consider the coaches stupid, shouldn’t have worded it that way.

Well, count me in the camp that really doesn't care. My thoughts don't count anyway. I do believe neither will start and finish the year between injuries and just some less than stellar games.

Reactions: huskerfan66
I get that... you’ve got some pretty strong opinions on this, and you and many others may be absolutely right.

Was just curious if your guy isn’t picked how you would respond. I probably worded my question poorly... no one will consider the coaches stupid, shouldn’t have worded it that way.

I'll probably just cheer for Nebraska to win like I have for the past 35 years. It's really that simple.

I'm a fan. That's about all the influence I have.

Besides. Mini pretend battles within the team gets me invested in the program. Game 1 is about Nebraska for me.

DkGwd5lV4AAgPNI.jpg

It should be an interesting season in the Big Ten in 2018. QB is such a critical position.

Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan State and Penn State are set at QB. Ohio State knows who their QB will be, but he hasn't lead a team before. Northwestern is hoping their QB can return from injury. At the end of the day, 10 programs have either a new QB or a QB race or an injury that needs to be overcome and evaluated.

I know Verduzco and Frost seem to say they believe in rolling with one guy, but IF it’s true that Gebbia has proven himself better as a passer and Martinez as a runner, I could see advantages to them splitting time.
I like defenses having to prep for both.

Reactions: jeans15
What was that saying? "If you have two quarterbacks, you don't have one."

I'll probably just cheer for Nebraska to win like I have for the past 35 years. It's really that simple.

I'm a fan. That's about all the influence I have.

Besides. Mini pretend battles within the team gets me invested in the program. Game 1 is about Nebraska for me.
FWIW, there were some player quotes earlier in camp saying that Martinez fairly regularly went to Gebbia to ask him questions about the offense....Frost has stated repeatedly that quick decision making is one of the most important qualities of his QB. We know what a film room junkie Gebbia is. We've heard that for 2 years now. Those facts make me think that Gebbia is going to have a leg up just from a knowledge of the offense standpoint. JMHO. It's going to be fun to watch no matter who the starter is because I think we're going to get to see all 3 get to play in the non-conference and I LOVE that.

FWIW, there were some player quotes earlier in camp saying that Martinez fairly regularly went to Gebbia to ask him questions about the offense....Frost has stated repeatedly that quick decision making is one of the most important qualities of his QB. We know what a film room junkie Gebbia is. We've heard that for 2 years now. Those facts make me think that Gebbia is going to have a leg up just from a knowledge of the offense standpoint. JMHO. It's going to be fun to watch no matter who the starter is because I think we're going to get to see all 3 get to play in the non-conference and I LOVE that.

Every freshmen should play this year unless they are hurt.

Special teams or something.

Those 4 games they get are are crucial imo.

Reactions: yunginsNU2
Just thought about it. If we want to RS Martinez in the end. Do we want to play him too many games in case we need him in an injury situation. Where he could go in but not sacrifice his RS.

Let’s face it there is still two more major scrimmages and realistically 3 weeks before Frost and the staff decide who will take the first snaps for the 2018 season..

It is very possible that the first couple of games we will see Gebbia and AMart alternate the QB position and then the staff can go from there.

IF you take Frost at his word, he said they will start adjusting the snaps this week. I think they have a pretty good idea who they are going to go with. I do not think they will be rotating or alternating anything. Once the decision is made, the only time they #2 or #3 will get in will be due to injury, ineffectiveness or blowout.

Because the coaches say the competition is close, that doesn't mean there isn't enough separation to name a starter. jmho

IF you take Frost at his word, he said they will start adjusting the snaps this week. I think they have a pretty good idea who they are going to go with. I do not think they will be rotating or alternating anything. Once the decision is made, the only time they #2 or #3 will get in will be due to injury, ineffectiveness or blowout.

Because the coaches say the competition is close, that doesn't mean there isn't enough separation to name a starter. jmho

I think they do too and also agree it won't be playing 50% for Gebbia & AMart. They know what they're doing and what they want. We'll see....

But that Andrew Farthing kid be fast af
with both contenders being freshmen it will be interesting to see if both QBs stick around. because one of them will be spending most of their 4 years watching from the sideline with both of them being in the same class.
not sure i would advise either kid to stick around and be a backup for life.

Reactions: jeans15
with both contenders being freshmen it will be interesting to see if both QBs stick around. because one of them will be spending most of their 4 years watching from the sideline with both of them being in the same class.

You’re always one play away from starting too..

You’re always one play away from starting too..
thats what the coaches always say. but 4 years later the backup is usually still the backup and usually has played very little if at all.
season ending injuries to QBs are very rare. and when they come back they usually take over as starter again.
whoever wins the competition is most likely the starter for the next 4 years.
whoever doesn't win is most likely a backup. not saying it couldn't change.
it could.
but if i was betting. i would bet on the starter retaining his position in subsequent years.
if gebbia doesn't win the job this year he is destined to the bench for the remainder of his career. he should leave if he can't beat out a true frosh who didn't play his senior year

2 QBs in the same grade almost never both stay. If one emerges as the clear starter after this season/next spring, it's highly likely the other will transfer.

2 QBs in the same grade almost never both stay. If one emerges as the clear starter after this season/next spring, it's highly likely the other will transfer.
If Gebbia wins i bet Martinez stays to try and beat him out - if martinez wins i bet its bye bye gebbers

Just for reference. Frost ripped Mckenzie Milton last fall camp for not executing well and gave great praise to Noah Vedral. And Milton was a top 5 qb in the nation. Scott Frost doesn't talk to reporters to give information to fans but to players and other programs.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
I really couldn’t tell you to be honest. We have a fairly unique situation with two inexperienced QB’s, a new offense and in a transition season.

Christopher Heady@heady_chris

Mario Verduzco on Tristan Gebbia as a runner: "He’s elusive and when he gets out int he open field he can be effective and efficient as a runner."

Says he "thoroughly" disagrees he is only a passer. #Huskers

6:33 PM - Aug 14, 2018

There goes that theory you gave about Gebbia being useless if the coverage is to good eh?!?! Like the one poster said, you are underestimating Gebbia running ability badly. Our QB coach isn’t going to give praise like that if it’s not true. Gebbia is more then good to go.

If Gebbia wins i bet Martinez stays to try and beat him out - if martinez wins i bet its bye bye gebbers

Gebbia has said he loves it here and Martinez isn’t going back to California with his tail between his legs...

Who ever starts and doesn’t turn the ball over and puts points on the board will end up being the starting QB, but that doesn’t mean a player could have a bad game and the other guy comes in for him and over takes the position by his play without turnovers and scoring points.

We need both these QB and I need to remind everyone that in 2010, 2013,2015 we had our staring QB either not 100 % or couldn’t start at the end of the regular season.. It would be nice to have a capable QB that is just as good as the starter if a injury occurs during the season.

This. That's the biggest nugget I took from the interview. The one that can think and react the fastest. Also as a group he didn't think they were where they wanted them to be following spring. Martinez release a little slower too.

Reactions: scarletred
If they played a game today, Gebbia would probably be the starter. From reports, he has been the best passer in practice and the best decision maker so far. It sounds like he had a very good scrimmage the other day too. Martinez is just struggling with consistency, which is ok because he's a true freshman.

But but but Frost hasn’t made a decision yet. I hope the defenders of all things Frost are outbin full force if Gebbia is named the starter.
Frost has been up front about the data that goes into his decision making on QBs. For Frost, a QB has to run well enough in order to get yardage when it is available. The battle for QB will be won on efficiency in the passing game and quickness in decision making, with the latter the most important metric. The QB will have a lot of tools at his disposal: Stan, JD, Bell, Tre (we hope), Maurice, McQuitty, Jones, Tyjon etc. The job is very much like that of a point guard.
If the battle was just about athleticism, AMart wins. But it isn't.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT