ADVERTISEMENT

Starting QB

I heard it might come down to a coin flip. Chigurh, anyone?

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: ZaneHickey
You’re absolutely crazy. It’s more likely between Gebbia and Martinez then it is Bunch and Martinez. I still don’t get the lack of faith in Gebbia...why because he was a Mike Riley recruit??

I guess we will just see how it turns out. Martinez is for sure going to start.

I have it on good authority that Tom Herman was Charlie Marlow's tipster on this. I've confirmed it with sources close to the program.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I guess we will just see how it turns out. Martinez is for sure going to start.

I’d be plenty happy with that. But I’d be happy with a Gebbia as well. You can see the Martinez man crush you got going on. The young man is barely 18. Not to many true freshman take the starting spots on many teams. It can happen, but with a Bunch and Gebbia already a year to several years into D1 football...I honestly don’t see Martinez winning it. But if he does I’m happy, again if Gebbia does...I’ll be happy. I’m wide open to either.

Reactions: mmunso7
I’d be plenty happy with that. But I’d be happy with a Gebbia as well. You can see the Martinez man crush you got going on dripping off you. The young man is barely 18. Not to many true freshman take the starting spots on many teams. It can happen, but with a Bunch and Gebbia already a year to several years into D1 football...I honestly don’t see Martinez winning it. But if he does I’m happy, again if Gebbia does...I’ll be happy. I’m wide open to either.

What are you talking about. I don't have any sort of man crush on Martinez. I'm just putting together what I know and common sense. Martinez is around 220, was hand picked by Frost, and runs better. I think we will struggle at QB no matter the QB due to youth and lack of familiarity with the system. Before the scrimmage yesterday it has been out there that Bunch is outperforming Gebbia, but sounds like Gebbia had a pretty good day yesterday. Still lots of time left, but I still feel Martinez is going to start because of what I posted above.

Bunch was a Riley guy too.

Hey your saying this to the wrong guy...I’m open to all....even Riley recruits ;)

I think so also....I highly doubt SF will have his warp 7 dual-threat qb set on the bench. But, we'll see!!

This makes no difference what so ever. We didn’t see Gebbia start for Riley last year, did we? Last year we where all fired up about Gebbia because of the talent the young man has and all the D1 offers he had out there. Remember it came down to Huskers, Ole Miss, Bama and another team (his final two was Ole Miss and Huskers). But it’s funny how fast we flip on these young men. Last year when Gebbia came, we where all stocked about him like we are now with Martinez. Funny how that works out.

Reactions: bvkley
What are you talking about. I don't have any sort of man crush on Martinez. I'm just putting together what I know and common sense. Martinez is around 220, was hand picked by Frost, and runs better. I think we will struggle at QB no matter the QB due to youth and lack of familiarity with the system. Before the scrimmage yesterday it has been out there that Bunch is outperforming Gebbia, but sounds like Gebbia had a pretty good day yesterday. Still lots of time left, but I still feel Martinez is going to start because of what I posted above.

Common sense and what you KNOW...eh!?!? I call BS there. None of us know a dam thing let alone who will start. I don’t give a flying F about the weight difference. I have seen plenty of tooth picks kill it D1 football. Weight will have nothing to do with decision making, how fast the young man readss defenses and making proper changes at the line if they see a defense that doesn’t match the play call. It will come down to the mental part of the game over the weight difference, believe that. I agree on one thing, I don’t for see Gebbia trying hit stick any BIG10 DEs or LBs. But 185-195 pound kid can take hits just as good as a 200-215 pound kid.

I been seeing and hearing how great Bunch is ever since the decent Spring game he had. I don’t buy anyone’s guesses or inputs...because I have seen favoritism (some of you have shown) since Frost got here. Bunch, a kid that had barely any D1 offers is suddenly beating out a player that was in the top 100 in ever recruiting sites, had almost ever D1 offer available and his only Knock is his weight?? I just don’t see it. Martinez beating Gebbia out, sure but not Bunch.

Last edited:
Hey your saying this to the wrong guy...I’m open to all....even Riley recruits ;)

This makes no difference what so ever. We didn’t see Gebbia start for Riley last year, did we? Last year we where all fired up about Gebbia because of the talent the young man has and all the D1 offers he had out there. Remember it came down to Huskers, Ole Miss, Bama and another team (his final two was Ole Miss and Huskers). But it’s funny how fast we flip on these young men. Last year when Gebbia came, we where all stocked about him like we are now with Martinez. Funny how that works out.

Well partner, I don't see how starting Gebbia last year would been worse than our pick-6 machine. But then last year our HC was totally inept and this year.....well, you know.

Gebbia is a fine qb and I wish him the very, very best. I just prefer a real-deal dual threat qb. Different strokes for different folks.....we'll let SF make his choice.

Reactions: huskerssalts
Well partner, I don't see how starting Gebbia last year would been worse than our pick-6 machine. But then last year our HC was totally inept and this year.....well, you know.

Gebbia is a fine qb and I wish him the very, very best. I just prefer a real-deal dual threat qb. Different strokes for different folks.....we'll let SF make his choice.

Definitely agree there. If some of us was the head coach...even if Gebbia was clear cut better QB, they’d still start Martinez just because. Frost will make the right choice, if it’s Gebbia, Martinez or Bunch.

I think so also....I highly doubt SF will have his warp 7 dual-threat qb set on the bench. But, we'll see!!
I've seen the arguement a lot that HCSF will start "his guy". If he does, and his guy is not the best choice, the team will know it and the whole "all positions are competed every day" goes out the window. I guess I am still hoping the best player at each position as proven in practice starts no matter "whose guy" he is. If that is what happens, and since most practices are closed, it is IMHO impossible at this point to predict the starting QB.

Common sense and what you KNOW...eh!?!? I call BS there. None of us know a dam thing let alone who will start. I don’t give a flying F about the weight difference. I have seen plenty of tooth picks kill it D1 football. Weight will have nothing to do with decision making, how fast the young man readss defenses and making proper changes at the line if they see a defense that doesn’t match the play call. It will come down to the mental part of the game over the weight difference, believe that. I agree on one thing, I don’t for see Gebbia trying hit stick any BIG10 DEs or LBs. But 185-195 pound kid can take hits just as good as a 200-215 pound kid.

I been seeing and hearing how great Bunch is ever since the decent Spring game he had. I don’t buy anyone’s guesses or inputs...because I have seen favoritism (some of you have shown) since Frost got here. Bunch, a kid that had barely any D1 offers is suddenly beating out a player that was in the top 100 in ever recruiting sites, had almost ever D1 offer available and his only Knock is his weight?? I just don’t see it. Martinez beating Gebbia out, sure but not Bunch.

Call BS all you want. I guess we will see once the season starts. We can revisit in a few weeks once things play out. There is still time for things to change but I'd say Martinez starts unless he gets hurt.

We haven't seen enough to make too many statements of fact. Most of us have only seen the QBs in the spring game. You would be heavily drinking the kool-aid if you thought Gebbia was the best of the 3 after watching that. I would just rather let the process play out. The best guy at the time of the first game will start whether or not he is the starter at the end of the season.

It really is all speculation at this point and it might really be the case that the coaches are telling the truth when they say there is no clear front runner yet.

So if that is true (that there is no clear front runner) then it argues for Martinez as the starter. Because the argument for Gebbia all along has been that he is a year older than Martinez with more practice time under his belt. But if things are truly "even" right now, then that means that Gebbia's experience has counted for squat. Martinez appears to be the more gifted athlete. Therefore, if Gebbia's experience is no advantage, then why the hell not go ahead an play your true Freshman who is athletically superior?

We haven't seen enough to make too many statements of fact. Most of us have only seen the QBs in the spring game. You would be heavily drinking the kool-aid if you thought Gebbia was the best of the 3 after watching that. I would just rather let the process play out. The best guy at the time of the first game will start whether or not he is the starter at the end of the season.

True, I thought even Bunch looked better than Gebbia in the spring game. But I try not to read too much into one scrimmage.

Remember that McKenzie Milton didn't start right away at UCF. He didn't play until the 3rd game when the starting QB got hurt. And he turned the ball over 4 times in that game.

I would not count on Martinez being the starter! I get a kick out of people negating Gebbia especially based on the spring game. When talking to a couple of people who have a good idea what a college QB is supposed to be able to do both of them said if anything Gebbia should be a little ahead unless Frost based it on running ability only! I found that interesting!

Reactions: huskerssalts
I would not count on Martinez being the starter! I get a kick out of people negating Gebbia especially based on the spring game. When talking to a couple of people who have a good idea what a college QB is supposed to be able to do both of them said if anything Gebbia should be a little ahead unless Frost based it on running ability only! I found that interesting!
Of course Frost is not going to base his assessment on running ability only. Furthermore, Frost has said publicly that all of the QB's are pretty much equal right now. So if Gebbia is ahead then I guess Frost was lying.

If anyone is a little ahead I would not call it Frost lying. I would call it Frost wanting to protect his players and keep the competition going. And in Frost's eyes he may have someone a little ahead but close enough it is still up for grabs. Stop taking words so literal! If I were the coach and wanted to keep the competition going I would be saying the same thing Frost is saying no matter if I had someone a little ahead or not. I would not call that lying. However some people have to be right even before a final decision is made. No matter who starts I just want them to be successful! No matter if someone is ahead I would not choose to call Frost a Liar!

Last edited:
I've watched the Spring Game probably ten times in the last week. IMO, there was no great separation between the three quarterbacks. Besides, they weren't all working with the starters, against the starters. It isn't an accurate comparison. The green jerseys didn't help, either.

It is still early. The coaches don't really get any benefit from naming a starter right now. It is better to keep the guys competing against one another, so they push the others to get better. In a week or two they will need to name a starter, because the starter will need to get more snaps in preparation for the first game. I personally don't think they are at that point yet.

Reactions: kidofSN
"Frost’s main critiques: the quarterbacks need to be quicker, make faster decisions and be more consistent.

"Everything just needs to operate faster for them," Frost said.

All three eligible quarterbacks — true freshman Adrian Martinez, redshirt freshman Tristan Gebbia and walk-on sophomore Andrew Bunch — are still taking equal reps. That will change after a scrimmage in the next week or two. Frost said all positions after that scrimmage will change in terms of first-team and second-team reps.

At times, he said, Martinez looks great.

“Other times it looks like it's too fast for him,” Frost said. "All the guys are doing a good job at times, but it's gotta be more consistent.""

Reactions: huskerfan66
HTO knows.
Best reply so far!

This whole matter could be settled promptly if HTO would somehow find it in his benevolent heart to share his rock solid inside-the-inner-circle highly privileged and exclusive news with the barstool peons who post here.

He is out there somewhere and his wisdom is needed. now more than ever.

"All the guys are doing a good job at times, but it's gotta be more consistent.""

I personally think this is key. The team has a bunch of talented backs and receivers. Those guys are going to make the plays this year, not the quarterback. I think it is much more important that the QB distribute the ball without making mistakes, rather than try to win games all by himself. Once the QB starts thinking it is all on his shoulders, he's going to force passes into double coverage, or try to make one more spin move running the ball, and generate turnovers. What we need is someone who protects the ball.

Gebbia is no running threat..saych..in this offense, the qb being able to make people miss is crucial....youb cant teach what AM has. Good coverage and Gebbia is useless.

New offense

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT