ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford band

Most of the time they are funny. However, in the Fiesta Bowl a few years ago against OSU some part of their act supposedly mimed a plane crash. A few weeks before that OSU had a plane crash where their women's basketball coach and another person were killed. It was huge news here in Oklahoma. I know a lot of fans were incredibly upset with the band that night. Also that night, much of the trophy presentation for OSU was ruined because the Stanford Band kept playing as the presentation was happening.
Then if that is true, then shame on Stanford...there is a MASSIVE difference between good natured paraody and meanspiritedness

Wasn't the Stanford band part of the "The band is on the field!" game?

At the KU/KSU (sunflower showdown) football this season, the KSU band made an offensive formation of a Jayhawk eating a star trek ship (which just happened to look like a male private part...). Their (KSU) fans had no issue but I think they (KSU band director) got in a trouble over that. Point is, other bands have controversy. These aren't paid comedians but scholarship musicians...the line between funny and offensive needs to be taken into consideration when entertaining.

GBR

Before the game some Iowa students encountered the band and called them the Stanford Indians ( which later became cardinal) which apparently offended their delicate sensibility . Of course the original owners of the land the native indian tribes had long been displaced and enslaved by the Spaniards. Sensitive bunch.

Wasn't the Stanford band part of the "The band is on the field!" game?

At the KU/KSU (sunflower showdown) football this season, the KSU band made an offensive formation of a Jayhawk eating a star trek ship (which just happened to look like a male private part...). Their (KSU) fans had no issue but I think they (KSU band director) got in a trouble over that. Point is, other bands have controversy. These aren't paid comedians but scholarship musicians...the line between funny and offensive needs to be taken into consideration when entertaining.

GBR

This did not happen at the KU/KSU game. It happened at the S. Dakota/KSU game. They suspended the director for the lack of sportsmanship. Sportsmanship has been a point of focus at KSU since the court storming last year against KU got out of hand and forced the Big 12 to implement a new sportsmanship policy. From the KU perspective, it was just more K St 'little brother' syndrome. Like why the hell is your band doing a Jayhawk formation when you are playing South Dakota? Obsess much? Kind of like if Stanford made fun of the potato famine while playing UCLA I guess.

This did not happen at the KU/KSU game. It happened at the S. Dakota/KSU game. They suspended the director for the lack of sportsmanship. Sportsmanship has been a point of focus at KSU since the court storming last year against KU got out of hand and forced the Big 12 to implement a new sportsmanship policy. From the KU perspective, it was just more K St 'little brother' syndrome. Like why the hell is your band doing a Jayhawk formation when you are playing South Dakota? Obsess much? Kind of like if Stanford made fun of the potato famine while playing UCLA I guess.
They were playing ND when they did the potato famine routine.The whole thing didn't bother me as much as how poorly we played and coached.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT