ADVERTISEMENT

Staff Changes

Nebraska football as we knew it is completely dead. And part of the problem right now is that Frost is part of that past that is dead and gone. But he still has that 90’s swagger and has created in this team a mentality of “hey, we are Nebraska!”. That was never more evident than last week. We barely beat a horrible PSU team and then spent the next week strutting around in practice like it was 1997 again. They clearly took Illinois lightly which is just further evidence that they thought “We are Nebraska and the Illinois game is a gimme.”

In my opinion one of the first things we should do is put every one of our trophies in storage and have that trophy case sitting there empty. Then we should take down all of those pictures of past All Americans and close up that Heisman room. Do not give out the blackshirts. Get rid of the tunnel walk and shut down the big screen. Then Frost needs to start coaching like he is at Kansas State in 1989. Instead of swagger and arrogance he needs to instill an “us against the world” underdog identity. Then he needs to fire Chinander, Harry Potter, and Austin and bring in assistants from schools like Indiana, Purdue, Iowa State, etc... Coaches who know how to build a losing and inferior program, which is what we are, into winners.

We are indeed a blue blood program. But who gives a shit? We need to quit talking about that too. Because, given our geographical location and demographics, we are in a much, much, much, worse situation than other blue bloods that fell onto hard times, only to come back. Schools like Alabama, USC, Michigan, Ohio State, Clemson, Florida State, Miami, and so on have huge recruiting pools nearby. So rebuilding is easier there. Given our demographics, if we fall much further and don’t right this ship soon, then we really will be KSU in 1989. Our ”brand” is dead with current recruits. We need to start realizing that fast.
mmm Pederson and Callahan tried that trophies in storage thing. That didn't go over too well. We need to r-e-l-a-x. We'll be fine.

Hard to argue with that. Martinez throws like he hasn't been taught a proper throwing motion.
kohr5oarznypmvjqoey9
Geezus. Have you ever tried to put something on a ball when you're running away from your throwing arm. He was rolling out being chased and he threw a TD pass. Who the F cares what his throwing motion looked like in that situation?

That looks like a Mahomes throw
It does. Mahomes can deliver a strike between the numbers falling down with two defenders in his face. None of our guys can, nor should they try. Too much xbox?

It does. Mahomes can deliver a strike between the numbers falling down with two defenders in his face. None of our guys can, nor should they try. Too much xbox?
only about 5 people on the planet can. your point still stands. And one of those people is a rotating spot filled by whomever Nebraska is playing at the time.

And, not sure there is a thing as TOO MUCH XBOX. (they need to release their next gen patch NOW)

Last edited:
mmm Pederson and Callahan tried that trophies in storage thing. That didn't go over too well. We need to r-e-l-a-x. We'll be fine.
We are closing in on our fourth straight losing season, and fifth losing season in the past six years. I wish I had your confidence that we will be fine. Just seems like whistling past the graveyard to me.
And my trophy case statement, as I said in another post, is just a deliberate exaggeration to make a point. Namely, we need to lose our arrogance. We need to adopt the underdog mentality.

We are closing in on our fourth straight losing season, and fifth losing season in the past six years. I wish I had your confidence that we will be fine. Just seems like whistling past the graveyard to me.
And my trophy case statement, as I said in another post, is just a deliberate exaggeration to make a point. Namely, we need to lose our arrogance. We need to adopt the underdog mentality.

Neb will be fine ...what constitutes as fine, however, will be drastically altered to more closely align with results

results can’t get worse and will modestly improve - at the same time expectations will be lowered until a symbiotic truce is declared just north of mediocrity - right about where Iowa lives

Geezus. Have you ever tried to put something on a ball when you're running away from your throwing arm. He was rolling out being chased and he threw a TD pass. Who the F cares what his throwing motion looked like in that situation?
only cry babies who want to piss and moan about everything, even when it was a positive play for the day

I was listening to a radio jock semi Husker fan a few days back. He's kind of a tell it like it is, politically incorrect guy. His take was this. Nebraska lost to maybe the best team in the country to start the year. THEN they get a game cancelled with Wisconsin and have to sit around for a week. Next up they lose a game they probably should have won against Northwestern who it turns out is pretty good and 5-0. A week ago we beat a struggling Penn State team who is still loaded with talent. Saturday we laid an egg. That happens to lots of teams especially teams with young QBs. His view is it was one game for a young QB in particular.

My view is that that ONE opening play put us behind the 8 ball the whole game and wrecked any confidence we had. We were on our heels the whole game. We have to take care of the ball and start fast against Iowa. We'll see which team shows up. Is the one that played that first half against Penn State or the one we saw against Illinois. We're a mentally fragile team IMO with young QBs who get rattled.

I was listening to a radio jock semi Husker fan a few days back. He's kind of a tell it like it is, politically incorrect guy. His take was this. Nebraska lost to maybe the best team in the country to start the year. THEN they get a game cancelled with Wisconsin and have to sit around for a week. Next up they lose a game they probably should have won against Northwestern who it turns out is pretty good and 5-0. A week ago we beat a struggling Penn State team who is still loaded with talent. Saturday we laid an egg. That happens to lots of teams especially teams with young QBs. His view is it was one game for a young QB in particular.

My view is that that ONE opening play put us behind the 8 ball the whole game and wrecked any confidence we had. We were on our heels the whole game. We have to take care of the ball and start fast against Iowa. We'll see which team shows up. Is the one that played that first half against Penn State or the one we saw against Illinois. We're a mentally fragile team IMO with young QBs who get rattled.
This is just spin. We did not lose to Illinois because we got off to a bad start. They kicked our asses from start to finish. They dominated. And we seem to lay a lot of eggs under Frost. Sorry but I’m not drinking the koolaid you are selling.

In three years Frost has not put a good product on the field. And we just got our teeth kicked in by a below average Illinois team. I just don’t share your optimism here.

This is just spin. We did not lose to Illinois because we got off to a bad start. They kicked our asses from start to finish. They dominated. And we seem to lay a lot of eggs under Frost. Sorry but I’m not drinking the koolaid you are selling.

In three years Frost has not put a good product on the field. And we just got our teeth kicked in by a below average Illinois team. I just don’t share your optimism here.
You very easily sway over to the dark side Pennsy. What are the options? You can be miserable and think the worst or you can try to evaluate the situation with some emotional detachment. We started a redshirt freshman QB who started for his high school team for exactly one year. We started a couple of sophomores and redshirt freshmen on our O line. When in God's name has that ever worked for us? I'm really surprised that we're starting Piper over Wilson at guard. Wilson finally I think got sat because of some of his penalties. Our sophomore center was trying to play through pain and obviously got the yips back on his snaps.

Lovie is an OUTSTANDING defensive coach and he confused Luke. With that, we had ZERO threat of a passing game. They could crash down to stop the run as they liked. Illinois on the other hand started a kid at QB who was one of the most highly recruited QBs coming out of high school. He played like it. I think Illinois is a better team than they got credit for and when we went 5 turnovers to their ZERO, we had no chance.

Last edited:
I agree with your analysis. I was very willing to give Frost the benefit of the doubt even if we struggled in the win column this year. It is a strange year, with Covid, and we had a brutal schedule lined up. But even if we lost a bunch of games I really expected to see improvement across the board. But we haven't. Stupid penalties at the worse possible time. Turnovers. QB play that is very poor. Offensive line play that is very, very average, if not below average. A porous defense that can't stop anyone. Zero pass rush. Soft against the run. Too big of a cushion in the backfield even on obvious passing downs. Then add in the wasted time outs because of confusion with substitutions, piss poor play calling and in-game adjustments, brain fart moments like not challenging that first play because you were too busy talking with one of your coaches. Only ten men on the field when the other team is punting. And so on... The whole thing just looks like keystone cops. It just does not look or play like a well coached team. And a lot of that has to do with arrogance.
I know people are going to say sure but here goes, there was talk of hiring Frost a few years prior to him getting hired. I doubted that he was ready, but with the Florida job, I thought OK. My concerns were that with little head coaching experience, would be able to attract proven assistant coaches. Several reasons for that, is he going to let me coach and actually listen to what they have to say. Who has he hired, and with that we don't know how law and order is being handled. What is quite obvious, good coaching is not happening and at the end of the day it all rest on Frost shoulders. I don't think we are far away from recruiting suffering.

You very easily sway over to the dark side Pennsy. What are the options? You can be miserable and think the worst or you can try to evaluate the situation with some emotional detachment. We started a redshirt freshman QB who started for his high school team for exactly one year. We started a couple of sophomores and redshirt freshmen on our O line. When in God's name has that ever worked for us? I'm really surprised that we're starting Piper over Wilson at guard. Wilson finally I think got sat because of some of his penalties. Our sophomore center was trying to play through pain and obviously got the yips back on his snaps.

Lovie is an OUTSTANDING defensive coach and he confused Luke. With that, we had ZERO threat of a passing game. They could crash down to stop the run as they liked. Illinois on the other hand started a kid at QB who was one of the most highly recruited QBs coming out of high school. He played like it. I think Illinois is a better team than they got credit for and when we went 5 turnovers to their ZERO, we had no chance.
No offense Dingle, but I think you are the one being emotional here. I am neither miserable nor wallowing in the dark side of undeserved pessimism. I am just looking at NU football objectively and making the observation that we are on the verge of our fifth losing season in six years and our fourth in a row. I think that is an indication that something is deeply wrong with our program. I am no longer all that attached, emotionally, to NU football. I am more concerned about what its demise means for my much beloved home town than I am with the football team as such.

You just want to make excuses so that you can cling to the emotional comfort of thinking that we are on the cusp of “being back” because so many of our starters are young. Maybe you are right. But your views are no more valid than mine just because they are more “positive”. Any objective observer who takes one look at a Frost coached Nebraska team has to conclude that this is a poorly coached team. You mention Piper on the offensive line and Jurgens. If Jurgens is so injured that he can’t snap it correctly then he should not be playing. That is a stupid coaching decision. And what accounts for why the veterans on the line are playing like shit? Coaching. Or on defense.... take all of our linebackers and transport them to Iowa or NW or Wisconsin and I guarantee you that you would see them immediately improve in technique and effectiveness. Once again... coaching.

And you can spin it all you want but Illinois is, AT BEST, an average team. And they dominated us in every phase of the game, including coaching.

There is an article today in the Journal that quotes a national recruiting guru at Rivals saying that Nebraska should aspire, realistically, to being like Boston College. I disagree with that, but there it is. That is what people who are not Nebraska fans think of Nebraska. I have lived on the East coast since 1989. I was here at the height of our glory. People took notice. Hate us or love us, they knew we were the beast in the living room. Now? Ha. If college football fans out here think of us at all it is to laugh. When we beat PSU the fan reaction out here said it all. Everyone said “shit, if we can’t even beat Nebraska who can we beat?”

And so I stand by my claim. Until Frost proves otherwise I will continue to approach NU football as a program in steep decline. And I will continue to distance myself emotionally from the program. It just isn’t worth my time anymore. Does that make me a bad fan? I don’t give a shit. I will hold up my fan credentials to anyone on this board for comparison. And if this program has made even a fan like me distance himself from the product, then instead of blaming me for being too pessimistic, maybe you should blame our coaches for being too incompetent.

No offense Dingle, but I think you are the one being emotional here. I am neither miserable nor wallowing in the dark side of undeserved pessimism. I am just looking at NU football objectively and making the observation that we are on the verge of our fifth losing season in six years and our fourth in a row. I think that is an indication that something is deeply wrong with our program. I am no longer all that attached, emotionally, to NU football. I am more concerned about what its demise means for my much beloved home town than I am with the football team as such.

You just want to make excuses so that you can cling to the emotional comfort of thinking that we are on the cusp of “being back” because so many of our starters are young. Maybe you are right. But your views are no more valid than mine just because they are more “positive”. Any objective observer who takes one look at a Frost coached Nebraska team has to conclude that this is a poorly coached team. You mention Piper on the offensive line and Jurgens. If Jurgens is so injured that he can’t snap it correctly then he should not be playing. That is a stupid coaching decision. And what accounts for why the veterans on the line are playing like shit? Coaching. Or on defense.... take all of our linebackers and transport them to Iowa or NW or Wisconsin and I guarantee you that you would see them immediately improve in technique and effectiveness. Once again... coaching.

And you can spin it all you want but Illinois is, AT BEST, an average team. And they dominated us in every phase of the game, including coaching.

There is an article today in the Journal that quotes a national recruiting guru at Rivals saying that Nebraska should aspire, realistically, to being like Boston College. I disagree with that, but there it is. That is what people who are not Nebraska fans think of Nebraska. I have lived on the East coast since 1989. I was here at the height of our glory. People took notice. Hate us or love us, they knew we were the beast in the living room. Now? Ha. If college football fans out here think of us at all it is to laugh. When we beat PSU the fan reaction out here said it all. Everyone said “shit, if we can’t even beat Nebraska who can we beat?”

And so I stand by my claim. Until Frost proves otherwise I will continue to approach NU football as a program in steep decline. And I will continue to distance myself emotionally from the program. It just isn’t worth my time anymore. Does that make me a bad fan? I don’t give a shit. I will hold up my fan credentials to anyone on this board for comparison. And if this program has made even a fan like me distance himself from the product, then instead of blaming me for being too pessimistic, maybe you should blame our coaches for being too incompetent.

I relate a lot to this.

I've tried to have a glass half full approach to NU football for the past 2 decades. When Solich was fired I saw truth in Pederson's comments about gravitating towards mediocrity. When Callahan was hired, I struggled with the thought of losing our traditional offensive identify, but thought maybe its time, and he was bringing in good talent. When Pelini was hired, I thought ok, we're going to get that fiery, defensive guru who turned around the defense in his one prior year with NU. When Riley was hired I tried to buy into the "think what he can do with NU's resources" talk. And finally, when Frost was hired, I watched that introductory press conference and was more excited about NU football than I had been in years.

3 years later, despite all the supposed upgrades in talent and culture flip talk we have been reading about, based on the product on the field, we seem further from restoring the program than ever, and its emotionally exhausting and becoming numbing. I have gotten to the point where committing 4 hours of my time on a saturday to watch the same mistakes over and over again doesn't make sense. I'm back to where I was in the 70s - listening to games on the radio while I do other things. In the 70s that was because there wasn't much other option, now its for emotional preservation.

Finally, I have lived in CO since 1988. I moved here when the NU/CU rivalry was really starting to heat up. Colorado fans hated NU, but they respected the program. Today, while both programs are shadows of what they were in the 90s, their program, which has a fraction of the administrative and fan support that NU does, is astonishingly ahead of ours evidenced by their back-to-back wins over us the past 2 years, and a 2-0 start this year.

I relate a lot to this.

I've tried to have a glass half full approach to NU football for the past 2 decades. When Solich was fired I saw truth in Pederson's comments about gravitating towards mediocrity. When Callahan was hired, I struggled with the thought of losing our traditional offensive identify, but thought maybe its time, and he was bringing in good talent. When Pelini was hired, I thought ok, we're going to get that fiery, defensive guru who turned around the defense in his one prior year with NU. When Riley was hired I tried to buy into the "think what he can do with NU's resources" talk. And finally, when Frost was hired, I watched that introductory press conference and was more excited about NU football than I had been in years.

3 years later, despite all the supposed upgrades in talent and culture flip talk we have been reading about, based on the product on the field, we seem further from restoring the program than ever, and its emotionally exhausting and becoming numbing. I have gotten to the point where committing 4 hours of my time on a saturday to watch the same mistakes over and over again doesn't make sense. I'm back to where I was in the 70s - listening to games on the radio while I do other things. In the 70s that was because there wasn't much other option, now its for emotional preservation.

Finally, I have lived in CO since 1988. I moved here when the NU/CU rivalry was really starting to heat up. Colorado fans hated NU, but they respected the program. Today, while both programs are shadows of what they were in the 90s, their program, which has a fraction of the administrative and fan support that NU does, is astonishingly ahead of ours evidenced by their back-to-back wins over us the past 2 years, and a 2-0 start this year.
Exactly. Well said

We can’t call for staff changes while simultaneously calling for a reversal of the biggest change the staff has made to date: benching Martinez

I constantly see the coaches blamed. You blame your AD, I hear that the facilities are not adequate, I hear you say you don’t have the right recruits. Come on huskers get a grip. Your coach won at his last school, you’re AD is doing fine, there’s nothing wrong with your facilities, and you recruit better than anyone in the big 10 W. and third in the entire big 10 pretty much year in and year out. 1 million different excuses except for the one that causes you more problems than any of the mentioned above.
FANS.... yep your fans are the reason you continue your slide. You can’t keep calling for every coach to be fired, you can’t keep calling players out. No one is going to want to coach Nebraska and no one is going to want to be recruited by Nebraska because of you fans!
Somehow I’ve been able to get tickets to every Iowa game in that sold out stadium and your sell out streak. The last couple games there were more empty seats than I’ve ever seen. You fans need to deal with reality and let go of your fake sell out streak it looks ridiculous on you.

I constantly see the coaches blamed. You blame your AD, I hear that the facilities are not adequate, I hear you say you don’t have the right recruits. Come on huskers get a grip. Your coach won at his last school, you’re AD is doing fine, there’s nothing wrong with your facilities, and you recruit better than anyone in the big 10 W. and third in the entire big 10 pretty much year in and year out. 1 million different excuses except for the one that causes you more problems than any of the mentioned above.
FANS.... yep your fans are the reason you continue your slide. You can’t keep calling for every coach to be fired, you can’t keep calling players out. No one is going to want to coach Nebraska and no one is going to want to be recruited by Nebraska because of you fans!
Somehow I’ve been able to get tickets to every Iowa game in that sold out stadium and your sell out streak. The last couple games there were more empty seats than I’ve ever seen. You fans need to deal with reality and let go of your fake sell out streak it looks ridiculous on you.

I don’t think anyone is calling for Frost to be fired. We know we are stuck with him for a few more years. There are several alarming things that shouldn’t be happening in year 3. I think Frost caught lightning in a bottle at UCF. He’s still learning how to be a HEAD COACH.

Who is blaming the current AD? No one.Majority of the fan base blame Shawn Eichorst hire...

With 89,000 seats that we have expanded to there is always tickets to come by, but they have already been bought by the season ticket owners, it’s just some fans elect to stay home or can’t sell the tickets on a bad weather day like last years Ioway game..

And we no longer have enough room in our Locker rooms for all of our football team so what do you know about what we need for our football program..

You make a valid point about the fans and the pressure cooker that is Nebraska football. But I have to ask. What is the deal with the Iowa obsession over the sellout streak? I see the streak mentioned time and again by Iowa fans. Why do you guys care so much? It’s odd.

Excuses are for losers. Frost will get his time. I'm just looking for any sign of improvement. The same issues and more in the third year of his tenure.

Frost will continue to make staff changes at a slow pace ... replacing one or 2 every so often ... with each change his base will delight in the fact that finally he is serious and willing to make changes

this process will drag on until there are no more fingers to point at the assistants as being the problem

Last edited:

Maybe.

But using that logic also means that Iowa's fans are to blame for not only accepting -- but embracing -- mediocrity at every turn.

And the result of that?

The program has never put a skin on the wall.

Of any kind.

I don’t think anyone is calling for Frost to be fired. We know we are stuck with him for a few more years. There are several alarming things that shouldn’t be happening in year 3. I think Frost caught lightning in a bottle at UCF. He’s still learning how to be a HEAD COACH.
I think a few do want him to be fired. I'm approaching that point especially if we only get 1 or 2 wins this year. He probably deserves to be fired at that point, but I don't think he will be.

Excuses are for losers. Frost will get his time. I'm just looking for any sign of improvement. The same issues and more in the third year of his tenure.
There's excuses and then there are reasons. We're playing way too many very young players to expect much better than what we're getting right now. NO spring ball, no summer workouts and a screwed up fall are killing us with those young guys. The good news for the future IMO is all of the young guys starting or playing lots of minutes. Frost will build this thing back up. Next year bowl eligible.

Reactions: headcard
I’m sorry , but no,
We won't have to put up with 9 years of what we've seen that started with Riley. Frost will either win in the next 2 years or he'll resign. Bet on it. Personally, I think he'll be fine and win a lot of games next year. Somebody a long time ago pointed out that combined with all of the young guys who were going to have to play this year AND our schedule that it might be better for NU if the season wasn't played. While I won't go that far, there is no question that no spring ball, no summer 7 on 7s and no fall camp hurt us more than the more experienced teams in the B1G.

Reactions: WHCSC
But he still has that 90’s swagger and has created in this team a mentality of “hey, we are Nebraska!”

Respectfully I do not think that at all. Frost runs a finesse spread offense. 90s Huskers ran power run. He emulates Chip Kelly instead of 90s TO. He wants to dance with opponents whilst the 90's Huskers wanted to bludgeon adversaries to a grisly end with a rusty lead pipe. TO's teams were organized, unified and disciplined. Frost's teams thus far have not been. In my opinion the staff is absolutely swimming in it and there is no swagger to be found. We have a center that is unable to snap AND continues to play. I cannot think of a less 90’s attribute then that.

Lot of truth in what is said here.

If you look at Nebraska as a program right now there are very few power 5 schools that you can say Nebraska is above. In the Big 10 it is Maryland, and maybe Rutgers, but it is really impressive what Schiano has done with them some far this year. In the SEC Vandy and maybe Arkansas, but again Morris has them playing better this year, South Carolina is kind of a mess right now too, but not too far removed from some success. In the ACC I would say only FSU is in worse shape right now, but they at least have a win over a #5 ranked UNC this year. In the Big 12 it is Kansas, Nebraska is probably on par with Texas Tech, but behind everyone else. In the Pac-12 it is Oregon State, maybe on par with UCLA and Arizona.

At some point the ego needs to checked at the door for Frost. College coaches are like a fraternity so he needs to reach out to someone like Campbell at ISU, Doren at NC State or even Clawson at Wake Forest to see what they did to change the trajectory of their programs. The reason is these guys came from mid majors to power 5 schools and have found some success. You can talk about Saban, Dabo and Urban, but these guys came from different backgrounds, so you need to find like situations to build on.

Right now Frost is looking like the next Dan Hawkins or Darrell Hazell. Not that it was his fault, but saying that this thing was going to take a while from the get go was probably not the best thing. Maybe I am wrong, but there needed to be an immense sense of urgency from day one.
Osborne had no issue reaching out to Bowden, etc gor advice and it worked. Why not ask Saban, etc for an assessment of the program?

We will be young again with all the guys transferring. Either that or we will recruit juco or grad transfer guys and say we are inexperienced at some positions. Next year it is either have a winning record or you are gone. Frost can’t survive 4 years of losing and I wouldn’t blame anyone if that decision had to be made.

Reactions: oldjar07
We will be young again with all the guys transferring. Either that or we will recruit juco or grad transfer guys and say we are inexperienced at some positions. Next year it is either have a winning record or you are gone. Frost can’t survive 4 years of losing and I wouldn’t blame anyone if that decision had to be made.
I would guess that he has five years no matter what, unless he’s winless in year four, which is very unlikely.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT