ADVERTISEMENT

Staff Changes

Huskerz99

Junior
Oct 27, 2019
1. We need an associate head coach who will help reset the culture. This coach maybe tells Frosts some things he doesn’t want to hear, but it’s needed
Someone from a winning Power 5 program. Either Big10, SEC, or Acc. Frost can work with QBs and fire Verduzco.

2.New Defensive Coordinator with a swagger and history of success but maybe wants to prove something in his career.

I always said Frost deserved 7 years but now if we don’t have a winning season next year I’m not sure he deserves 5 unless we see progress (6-6) in a new staff.

1. We need an associate head coach who will help reset the culture. This coach maybe tells Frosts some things he doesn’t want to hear, but it’s needed
Someone from a winning Power 5 program. Either Big10, SEC, or Acc. Frost can work with QBs and fire Verduzco.

2.New Defensive Coordinator with a swagger and history of success but maybe wants to prove something in his career.

I always said Frost deserved 7 years but now if we don’t have a winning season next year I’m not sure he deserves 5 unless we see progress (6-6) in a new staff.
I think the associate head coach is a good idea. I think I would rather see an OC/QB coach and let Frost focus on all the other stuff, but if he won’t let go of the play calling Associate HC is a good idea.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Yes, we play 12 games where we have out recruited 9 of them according to recruiting sites. And Michigan will be going through a coaching change most likely.
And yet, before this season, people would’ve said that Illinois was likely the only gimmie win on our schedule and we got boat raced by them. It’s highly likely we finish 1-7 or maybe 2-6, giving thanks to the Covid gods for not getting crushed by Wisconsin.

I don’t think we see anything better than 3 wins in 2021 given our coach’s track record. We are playing less than 0.250 ball under his leadership. I’m old enough to remember Kevin Cosgrove’s family receiving threats over one bad year that I would take 10/10 over the current drivel.

Are we really counting this season with 7 potentially eight games year 3?

OKlahoma comes to mind.
Yes, not a full season
And yet, before this season, people would’ve said that Illinois was likely the only gimmie win on our schedule and we got boat raced by them. It’s highly likely we finish 1-7 or maybe 2-6, giving thanks to the Covid gods for not getting crushed by Wisconsin.

I don’t think we see anything better than 3 wins in 2021 given our coach’s track record. We are playing less than 0.250 ball under his leadership. I’m old enough to remember Kevin Cosgrove’s family receiving threats over one bad year that I would take 10/10 over the current drivel.
If we go 1-7 or 2-6 and Then in 2021 have a losing season then clearly Frost needs to go. I would like to give him whatever he needs to right the ship, but you can’t survive 3.75 years of losing. Blame Covid but we seemed least affected from Covid in the Big 10 and now it’s a major excise for us. Yet other teams were shut down for weeks and still play better than us. Maybe our practices aren’t very good.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
Maybe a former Investment banker, a quality control administrator with no coaching experience, and a QB whisperer, who lit it up at De Anza college contributed to this mess. Not including the other coaches pedigrees which are crap also.

This is literally what Frost brought Lubick in for. Doesn't seem to be working.

What have any of these coaches done that indicate they can be successful at this level? They've been given 3 years to prove themselves and not one of them has their position group up to par. As far as staffing changes, the more the better. This program is broken and this staff has already proven they can't do anything to fix it.

Nebraska football as we knew it is completely dead. And part of the problem right now is that Frost is part of that past that is dead and gone. But he still has that 90’s swagger and has created in this team a mentality of “hey, we are Nebraska!”. That was never more evident than last week. We barely beat a horrible PSU team and then spent the next week strutting around in practice like it was 1997 again. They clearly took Illinois lightly which is just further evidence that they thought “We are Nebraska and the Illinois game is a gimme.”

In my opinion one of the first things we should do is put every one of our trophies in storage and have that trophy case sitting there empty. Then we should take down all of those pictures of past All Americans and close up that Heisman room. Do not give out the blackshirts. Get rid of the tunnel walk and shut down the big screen. Then Frost needs to start coaching like he is at Kansas State in 1989. Instead of swagger and arrogance he needs to instill an “us against the world” underdog identity. Then he needs to fire Chinander, Harry Potter, and Austin and bring in assistants from schools like Indiana, Purdue, Iowa State, etc... Coaches who know how to build a losing and inferior program, which is what we are, into winners.

We are indeed a blue blood program. But who gives a shit? We need to quit talking about that too. Because, given our geographical location and demographics, we are in a much, much, much, worse situation than other blue bloods that fell onto hard times, only to come back. Schools like Alabama, USC, Michigan, Ohio State, Clemson, Florida State, Miami, and so on have huge recruiting pools nearby. So rebuilding is easier there. Given our demographics, if we fall much further and don’t right this ship soon, then we really will be KSU in 1989. Our ”brand” is dead with current recruits. We need to start realizing that fast.

Last edited:
Nebraska football as we knew it is completely dead. And part of the problem right now is that Frost is part of that past that is dead and gone. But he still has that 90’s swagger and has created in this team a mentality of “hey, we are Nebraska!”. That was never more evident than last week. We barely beat a horrible PSU team and then spent the next week strutting around in practice like it was 1997 again. They clearly took Illinois lightly which is just further evidence that they thought “We are Nebraska and the Illinois game is a gimme.”

In my opinion one of the first things we should do is put every one of our trophies in storage and have that trophy case sitting there empty. Then we should take down all of those pictures of past All Americans and close up that Heisman room. Do not give out the blackshirts. Get rid of the tunnel walk and shut down the big screen. Then Frost needs to start coaching like he is at Kansas State in 1989. Instead of swagger and arrogance he needs to instill an “us against the world” underdog identity. Then he needs to fire Chinander, Harry Potter, and Austin and bring in assistants from schools like Indiana, Purdue, Iowa State, etc... Coaches who know how to build a losing and inferior program, which is what we are, into winners.

We are indeed a blue blood program. But who gives a shit? We need to quit talking about that too. Because, given our geographical location and demographics, we are in a much, much, much, worse situation than other blue bloods that fell onto hard times, only to come back. Schools like Alabama, USC, Michigan, Ohio State, Clemson, Florida State, Miami, and so on have huge recruiting pools nearby. So rebuilding is easier there. Given our demographics, if we fall much further and don’t right this ship soon, then we really will be KSU in 1989. Our ”brand” is dead with current recruits. We need to start realizing that fast.
Maybe we stop with the new facilities too?

Reactions: ridge22
Maybe we stop with the new facilities too?
Ha. No. We need those for recruiting. In fact, we need all of the stuff I listed for recruiting. I am being a bit tongue in cheek, of course. My point though stands: we need to cut the bullshit "we are Nebraska!" swagger and start acting like an underdog team at a struggling program that cannot afford to be arrogant.

Reactions: chipotlehusker

Lot of truth in what is said here.

If you look at Nebraska as a program right now there are very few power 5 schools that you can say Nebraska is above. In the Big 10 it is Maryland, and maybe Rutgers, but it is really impressive what Schiano has done with them some far this year. In the SEC Vandy and maybe Arkansas, but again Morris has them playing better this year, South Carolina is kind of a mess right now too, but not too far removed from some success. In the ACC I would say only FSU is in worse shape right now, but they at least have a win over a #5 ranked UNC this year. In the Big 12 it is Kansas, Nebraska is probably on par with Texas Tech, but behind everyone else. In the Pac-12 it is Oregon State, maybe on par with UCLA and Arizona.

At some point the ego needs to checked at the door for Frost. College coaches are like a fraternity so he needs to reach out to someone like Campbell at ISU, Doren at NC State or even Clawson at Wake Forest to see what they did to change the trajectory of their programs. The reason is these guys came from mid majors to power 5 schools and have found some success. You can talk about Saban, Dabo and Urban, but these guys came from different backgrounds, so you need to find like situations to build on.

Right now Frost is looking like the next Dan Hawkins or Darrell Hazell. Not that it was his fault, but saying that this thing was going to take a while from the get go was probably not the best thing. Maybe I am wrong, but there needed to be an immense sense of urgency from day one.

Lot of truth in what is said here.

If you look at Nebraska as a program right now there are very few power 5 schools that you can say Nebraska is above. In the Big 10 it is Maryland, and maybe Rutgers, but it is really impressive what Schiano has done with them some far this year. In the SEC Vandy and maybe Arkansas, but again Morris has them playing better this year, South Carolina is kind of a mess right now too, but not too far removed from some success. In the ACC I would say only FSU is in worse shape right now, but they at least have a win over a #5 ranked UNC this year. In the Big 12 it is Kansas, Nebraska is probably on par with Texas Tech, but behind everyone else. In the Pac-12 it is Oregon State, maybe on par with UCLA and Arizona.

At some point the ego needs to checked at the door for Frost. College coaches are like a fraternity so he needs to reach out to someone like Campbell at ISU, Doren at NC State or even Clawson at Wake Forest to see what they did to change the trajectory of their programs. The reason is these guys came from mid majors to power 5 schools and have found some success. You can talk about Saban, Dabo and Urban, but these guys came from different backgrounds, so you need to find like situations to build on.

Right now Frost is looking like the next Dan Hawkins or Darrell Hazell. Not that it was his fault, but saying that this thing was going to take a while from the get go was probably not the best thing. Maybe I am wrong, but there needed to be an immense sense of urgency from day one.
I agree with your analysis. I was very willing to give Frost the benefit of the doubt even if we struggled in the win column this year. It is a strange year, with Covid, and we had a brutal schedule lined up. But even if we lost a bunch of games I really expected to see improvement across the board. But we haven't. Stupid penalties at the worse possible time. Turnovers. QB play that is very poor. Offensive line play that is very, very average, if not below average. A porous defense that can't stop anyone. Zero pass rush. Soft against the run. Too big of a cushion in the backfield even on obvious passing downs. Then add in the wasted time outs because of confusion with substitutions, piss poor play calling and in-game adjustments, brain fart moments like not challenging that first play because you were too busy talking with one of your coaches. Only ten men on the field when the other team is punting. And so on... The whole thing just looks like keystone cops. It just does not look or play like a well coached team. And a lot of that has to do with arrogance.

Yeah, that's not the problem. The problem is most of the coaches suck and can't do their jobs. Do you think those 90's teams would have celebrated like that after beating an 0-3 team if they were themselves 1-2? **** no. Frost has us so far away from where we were under TO, and quite frankly the culture isn't any better than it was under Callahan or Riley.

Yeah, that's not the problem. The problem is most of the coaches suck and can't do their jobs. Do you think those 90's teams would have celebrated like that after beating an 0-3 team if they were themselves 1-2? **** no. Frost has us so far away from where we were under TO, and quite frankly the culture isn't any better than it was under Callahan or Riley.

I think Frost underestimated how good top to bottom the B10 is and also overvalued his young staff. At Nebraska you don't get 3 years of losing football. Frost gets it for reasons we all know but a few other assistants will not get it.

I mean, the coaches pretty much admitted that they did not practice hard the week of the Illinois game. That's on the coaches for thinking less of Illinois. Only the worst staffs in country approach games like this. They should have practiced so hard that the players would have taken care of business rather than trying to get a more difficult win this week. Their ineptness will probably lead us to another loss this week. The losses keep piling up.

Reactions: agri7
It isn't the only problem. But it is one of them. A few players, and Frost himself, insinuated that the guys took Illinois lightly. WTF? How does a team that hasn't had a winning season in three years take anyone lightly? I will tell you... because they still have that mentality of "We are Nebraska!" And that starts with Frost and his 90's swagger. But I agree with everything else you write. This is not an "either-or" zero sum game where there is only one element to what has gone wrong. And what you identify I think is correct.

6&6 is not progress.

It isn't the only problem. But it is one of them. A few players, and Frost himself, insinuated that the guys took Illinois lightly. WTF? How does a team that hasn't had a winning season in three years take anyone lightly? I will tell you... because they still have that mentality of "We are Nebraska!" And that starts with Frost and his 90's swagger. But I agree with everything else you write. This is not an "either-or" zero sum game where there is only one element to what has gone wrong. And what you identify I think is correct.
I know a few fans and vegas that took illinois lightly.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
No, they have that mentality because they're a bunch of losers and a coaching staff that doesn't know how to keep the players disciplined or focused. It has absolutely nothing to do with "We are Nebraska" or 90's swagger, because they would have reacted the exact opposite way.

Reactions: cornhustler
No, they have that mentality because they're a bunch of losers and a coaching staff that doesn't know how to keep the players disciplined or focused. It has absolutely nothing to do with "We are Nebraska" or 90's swagger, because they would have reacted the exact opposite way.
You are missing my point a little bit here. Those kids in the 90's had swagger AND overwhelming talent to back it up. And good coaching. So we are not disagreeing. When you combine bad coaching, with a talent deficit at certain key positions, and an undeserved arrogance you get... losing to Illinois.

You are missing my point a little bit here. Those kids in the 90's had swagger AND overwhelming talent to back it up. And good coaching. So we are not disagreeing. When you combine bad coaching, with a talent deficit at certain key positions, and an undeserved arrogance you get... losing to Illinois.
Yeah the arrogance and bipolarism we display today has nothing to do with 90's swagger. Like I said, Frost has us no closer to the culture of the 90's than Callahan or Riley.

Yeah the arrogance and bipolarism we display today has nothing to do with 90's swagger. Like I said, Frost has us no closer to the culture of the 90's than Callahan or Riley.
Whatever. At this point we are just arguing over semantics. Forget the word "swagger". My point is that Frost has instilled in his players a false sense of superiority based on nothing more than the "N" on the side of the helmet. It is one thing to have pride in the Husker tradition. I hope the players have that. But it is another thing to have coaches who can't coach but still instill in the kids some bizzaro notion that they are in a "superior blue blood" program. I like your word... bipolar. That nails it.

Reactions: chipotlehusker
Whatever. At this point we are just arguing over semantics. Forget the word "swagger". My point is that Frost has instilled in his players a false sense of superiority based on nothing more than the "N" on the side of the helmet. It is one thing to have pride in the Husker tradition. I hope the players have that. But it is another thing to have coaches who can't coach but still instill in the kids some bizzaro notion that they are in a "superior blue blood" program. I like your word... bipolar. That nails it.

Talk is cheap aint it!!!

Even if all 9 are losing? Nope. You can’t have 4 losing seasons in a row. I mean he is getting 3 because he is homegrown.
We have to give him time so we can see if he can get to 9 in a row.

Besides he needs a few more QBs to cycle through.

I haven't listen to a radio broadcast of a game in a long time, how is Davison reacting to these performances on the field?

Also another question, what does he bring to the table if anything at all as the Associate AD for Football?

Culture of the 90s. The Huskers and rest of the Big Ten need to reach the culture of 2021 and the CFP era.

It isn't the 90s anymore. Michigan and Nebraska both finished #1 splitting the two polls. It is interesting where both programs sit in the East and West, respectively.

2021 will be a completely new era, with free agency in College Football, or what is the nearest form. However, players may find it a double edge sword?

We shall see ....

Frost can work with QBs and fire Verduzco.
Hard to argue with that. Martinez throws like he hasn't been taught a proper throwing motion.
kohr5oarznypmvjqoey9

Hard to argue with that. Martinez throws like he hasn't been taught a proper throwing motion.
kohr5oarznypmvjqoey9
That's obviously not his regular throwing motion, but I do think Verduzco spends way too much time trying to turn our qb's into Patrick Mahomes. Need to spend a lot more time actually teaching them how to run the offense properly.

Reactions: TerranPetteway
That's obviously not his regular throwing motion, but I do think Verduzco spends way too much time trying to turn our qb's into Patrick Mahomes. Need to spend a lot more time actually teaching them how to run the offense properly.
I've seen several pictures of him with that same throwing motion.

That looks like a Mahomes throw

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT