ADVERTISEMENT

One Scenario Not Discussed - Riley Leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.

St. Anger

Assistant Head Coach
Dec 13, 2007
This post is combination curiosity/boredom. Seems all kinds of scenarios have been mentioned. What it takes to fire a staff after one season, what year 2 needs to look like, coordinator changes, etc. etc.

Is there any scenario where Riley throws in the towel? Not trying to stir the pot. Just seems like the scenario nobody mentions ends up happening around here lately.

Sure.. he decides he's had enough and that's it. He's got plenty of money.

I can only give you 2 million, 700 thousand reasons why he wouldn't leave.
Try 10 million reasons. He will still have four years left on his contract. He would be waaaaaaayyyyyy better off getting fired.

What if he got another job offer? Stranger things have happened. Like when he was hired. Not a single one of you saw that coming, including you HTO.

I never thought about that, another job offer. That would be interesting. Lord knows there will be lots of open gigs next year.

I don't think he would leave but it is interesting.

If he left for a new job the problem that lead to this would still be around, Shawn Eichorst. You do not want him making a head coaching hire.

Trev Alberts needs to replace SE as our AD.

Neil Cornrich was the rep that Shawn reached out to at the Bret B. party. Neil advises Shawn.

http://footballscoop.com/news/nebraskas-short-list-played/

These people saying the contact with the reps with Bret is all BS should shut their traps and learn something in life.

Lordy. Husker fans can truly run the gamut of every possible situation no matter how utterly crazy they sound.

th

Reactions: kikdakan
Lordy. Husker fans can truly run the gamut of every possible situation no matter how utterly crazy they sound.

th
Did I ever say I endorse this type of move? Not at all. Just examining scenarios and this is one that hasn't been mentioned at all.

If he left for a new job the problem that lead to this would still be around, Shawn Eichorst. You do not want him making a head coaching hire.

Trev Alberts needs to replace SE as our AD.

Neil Cornrich was the rep that Shawn reached out to at the Bret B. party. Neil advises Shawn.

http://footballscoop.com/news/nebraskas-short-list-played/

These people saying the contact with the reps with Bret is all BS should shut their traps and learn something in life.
Lmfao you're still going on about this crap? Nice source btw as football scoop is about as accurate as chip brown

This post is combination curiosity/boredom. Seems all kinds of scenarios have been mentioned. What it takes to fire a staff after one season, what year 2 needs to look like, coordinator changes, etc. etc.

Is there any scenario where Riley throws in the towel? Not trying to stir the pot. Just seems like the scenario nobody mentions ends up happening around here lately.

Thanks for the qualifier, I see your post as more out of boredom. That`s ok too.

Did I ever say I endorse this type of move? Not at all. Just examining scenarios and this is one that hasn't been mentioned at all.

There's a reason it hasn't been brought up. We are six games into the season and have lost 4 games by a total of 11 points all in the waning moments of the game. Highly doubt we will sniff the 47 point differential from last year's four losses even if we lose four more!
What part of that says this scenario should be discussed?

Nobody left on the schedule is playing lights out - MSU is struggling, NW got bitch slapped by Michigan........etc. I see a bunch more close games and hopefully we find a way to win at least 4 of them......I don't see a better finish than 6-6 (still leaning towards 4-8)

I thought the same thing. He is at an age where he could just ride away into the sunset. Especially if he was just living at embassy suites. But someone said he bought 2 houses or something, so it sounds like I am wrong.

Kiffin left Tennessee after 1 season.
Anderson left Wisconsin after 2 seasons
Gene Chizik left Iowa State after 2 seasons

Also, this list: http://athlonsports.com/college-foo...s-one-year-coaching-tenures-good-bad-and-ugly

Not a good post, HTO.

You have to look at why those coaches left. Kiffin left to drive USC. Anderson left because UW cared more about their entrance requirements than football and wanted to be on the west coast somewhere in the long term. Chizik left a bottom feeder to win a title at Auburn.

You would have to provide some history of a coach who couldn't take the heat, and just bailing out leaving some 12-15 million on the table.

I would gather that Riley can take any of the heat that we have here at NU, people are just thinking he can't because he has a nice demeanor.

Basically all your examples show is that its possible for Riley to leave if he was seeking an upward trajectory (say the USC job as someone noted). Not exactly painting NU in the best light, and probably not that angle folks were taking when reading the OP.

Spare me the comparisons of the other coaches. For one, Lane Kiffin is a slime ball, always has been and always will be. This isn't just about coach Riley, it's about the multiple people he cares about (something Kiffin never does, except for himself) and asked to join him from all over the country. Not just paid coaches either but graduate assistants, recruiting support staff, strength coaches, operational staff, video coordinator (?), etc, etc, etc. Not just them but picking up their families and making the move.

So yea, you're thread wasn't good and I stand by it, no matter how many examples you throw out, not one of them fit the type of person Mike Riley is. He's not respected as much as he is because he'd leave a job after one year.

Reactions: scottym800
Tim is right. No way he makes all those people uproot their lives. That's not who Riley is. From all accounts he is an incredibly decent man somewhat in the mold of Osborne.

Secondly, who would offer him a job st this point? The AD at that institution would be lynched. (And no that does not mean Riley can't succeed here.)

That might be the worst thing that could happen.
Love your avatar.

I don't really see how things could get worse. And I don't even feel like I should knock on wood after typing that.

Hell, the worst thing that is happened is that we have two Ws, which makes the season seem less abysmal than it is - to outsiders at least.

But at least people are "all in" with Riley. I don't know how one could be more delusional, but to each one's own I guess.

Do you mean after one year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT