ADVERTISEMENT

SSO takes on coaching changes...

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven
https://forum.huskermax.com/threads/the-offensive-staff-change-and-moving-forward.115437/
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I'll try to shed some light on what I know and things i've put two and two together on...

It's no secret that our wide receiver room hasn't quite developed the way we wanted it to. Troy Walters signed Andre Hunt, Katerian LeGrone, Dominick Watt, Justin McGriff, Jaron Woodyard, and Mike Williams in his first recruiting class. 1 player didn't make it, one left after one season, two of them were booted after the first season, and the two JUCOs couldn't help at a position that desperately needed it. While I think Stanley Morgan was great, when you think about an undrafted Morgan leaving and then Warner being out all year essentially crippling our outside WR game, it's tough to fathom. But we gave Walters a pass for 2018 as they were trying to just put together a class. We then got excited for the 2019 class with Demariyon Houston running 10.5 100 meter dashes, Jamie Nance and Darine Chase as well with one of those being here for the spring as an early enrollee, we thought we wouldn't miss a beat. We were wrong.

You then couple what you were hearing on the recruiting trail for our 2020 class. From the outside looking in, our WR class may be the best position for 2020 that inked in the early signing period. But Marcus Fleming had a lead recruiter of Travis Fisher, Omar Manning's lead recruiter was Ryan Held, and Zavier Betts is a Nebraska kid that Barrett Ruud was a huge part with extending the offer to him and showing confidence he would get his academics in order. So essentially our top WR recruits, the position coach was a bit of an "added bonus" and not essential to landing them. I can also share with you that I heard from more than one coach in the metro that Walters was the least impressive when he would come to the schools compared to other FBS or FCS coaches. For example, a guy like LeVar Woods from Iowa or Dan Jackson from South Dakota State would text a few days earlier and say "hey, i'm going to be in Omaha on Friday, what time works best for you? I want to look at Player X, Player Y, and Player Z. Let me know if there's someone i'm missing." They would then work around the coaches schedules and if a coach said "hey, we also have Player A that Northern Illinois is looking real hard at, you should take a look" they obviously would at the very least humor the coach and evaluate them. Why not? You're already there, right? What I just described in this paragraph doesn't seem so difficult or
even worth highlighting, so why did I?

I was told that as recently as this December, when Coach Walters would be out in the metro, some coaches would get a call from a secretary stating "Coach Walters will be at your school tomorrow at 830AM" and basically just leave that voicemail. It wasn't even him. The coach would have to call back and leave a voicemail "Well, that's fine but I have class from 8-850 so I can catch up with him after". Being there, it was almost like he was putting in his time, the coach would throw out another name and he would come with "We will catch them next time, coach." It was just odd, and quite frankly, I was hoping something was up. Less than 24 hours notice compared to 72 hours notice from other coaches, telling you when he will be there as opposed to giving options as a courtesy, not giving his cell phone and having a secretary call them so it's less personal than what Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota, or South Dakota State were doing, and then the easiest thing ever of just being engaged while you're there and making the coach and player feel important and worth your time.

With that said, I don't want to rag on him too much. Some of those things are process related, not Walters related. Other Nebraska coaches just show up, other coaches have the secretary call as well, but when you look at the totality of things, a lot of it was on Coach Walters. I do think that we have been working on his replacement for close to a month, so he was just checking boxes for the staff more than likely. And he had to of done a decent job prior to this past December on the trail, it's not like he wasn't excited for a Power 5 job. But I wonder why we even send him on the road if that's the level of effort we were going to get? If it wasn't for these coaches and players being from Nebraska, whatever was said would have fallen on deaf ears in my opinion. Again, I do think we were looking for a replacement, Walters knew it, we just hadn't made the hire yet. And it's well documented he was of the opinion that even though he didn't get the UCF head job, he thought we would just roll thru people offensively the first two years and a head job would come calling. We all know how that went.

But the stuff coming out of North Stadium is just odd. If we truly had this locked up a few weeks ago, why were we waiting? Why was Troy Walters working in January for us? Lubick wasn't even working, so it's not like we had to wait. The more likely scenario is Lubick was a top candidate, but so was Joseph. Joseph wasn't going to entertain or say yes to anything until his national title game was over. And after that, he still wasn't interested, which leads us to our announcement this past Friday. I do think Lubick and Joseph were 1A and 1B, it just turns out we never really had a shot with Joseph at all, and we probably didn't get much past an initial conversation. The athletic department coming out and saying they never offered the job to Joseph is probably true, but we talked to him. It's basically like me working on a girl at a bar around midnight, not getting anywhere with her, then telling my friends I wasn't interested anyway.

The good news is, Coach Lubick is an upgrade from what we've had here in 2018 and 2019 in regard to coaching and recruiting. We don't need to spin it or play damage control. That's a damn good hire. Here's to our first bowl game since 2016 for 2020!

Cyberbach said:
Do you believe we are done at this point or are we still entertaining adding an analyst or 2?
We are bringing in at least one analyst. My hope is for two so Helfrich is an option but I wonder if he's getting more big boy offers than that at this point.

Here is hoping the offense runs more efficient in 2020 than the two previous seasons...

If the line starts improving with our youth over the last 2 recruiting classes, and 2AM improves dramatically over last season we may start to see the kind of offense that SF was referring too when he arrived in Lincoln..

https://forum.huskermax.com/threads/the-offensive-staff-change-and-moving-forward.115437/
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I'll try to shed some light on what I know and things i've put two and two together on...

It's no secret that our wide receiver room hasn't quite developed the way we wanted it to. Troy Walters signed Andre Hunt, Katerian LeGrone, Dominick Watt, Justin McGriff, Jaron Woodyard, and Mike Williams in his first recruiting class. 1 player didn't make it, one left after one season, two of them were booted after the first season, and the two JUCOs couldn't help at a position that desperately needed it. While I think Stanley Morgan was great, when you think about an undrafted Morgan leaving and then Warner being out all year essentially crippling our outside WR game, it's tough to fathom. But we gave Walters a pass for 2018 as they were trying to just put together a class. We then got excited for the 2019 class with Demariyon Houston running 10.5 100 meter dashes, Jamie Nance and Darine Chase as well with one of those being here for the spring as an early enrollee, we thought we wouldn't miss a beat. We were wrong.

You then couple what you were hearing on the recruiting trail for our 2020 class. From the outside looking in, our WR class may be the best position for 2020 that inked in the early signing period. But Marcus Fleming had a lead recruiter of Travis Fisher, Omar Manning's lead recruiter was Ryan Held, and Zavier Betts is a Nebraska kid that Barrett Ruud was a huge part with extending the offer to him and showing confidence he would get his academics in order. So essentially our top WR recruits, the position coach was a bit of an "added bonus" and not essential to landing them. I can also share with you that I heard from more than one coach in the metro that Walters was the least impressive when he would come to the schools compared to other FBS or FCS coaches. For example, a guy like LeVar Woods from Iowa or Dan Jackson from South Dakota State would text a few days earlier and say "hey, i'm going to be in Omaha on Friday, what time works best for you? I want to look at Player X, Player Y, and Player Z. Let me know if there's someone i'm missing." They would then work around the coaches schedules and if a coach said "hey, we also have Player A that Northern Illinois is looking real hard at, you should take a look" they obviously would at the very least humor the coach and evaluate them. Why not? You're already there, right? What I just described in this paragraph doesn't seem so difficult or

I was told that as recently as this December, when Coach Walters would be out in the metro, some coaches would get a call from a secretary stating "Coach Walters will be at your school tomorrow at 830AM" and basically just leave that voicemail. It wasn't even him. The coach would have to call back and leave a voicemail "Well, that's fine but I have class from 8-850 so I can catch up with him after". Being there, it was almost like he was putting in his time, the coach would throw out another name and he would come with "We will catch them next time, coach." It was just odd, and quite frankly, I was hoping something was up. Less than 24 hours notice compared to 72 hours notice from other coaches, telling you when he will be there as opposed to giving options as a courtesy, not giving his cell phone and having a secretary call them so it's less personal than what Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota, or South Dakota State were doing, and then the easiest thing ever of just being engaged while you're there and making the coach and player feel important and worth your time.

With that said, I don't want to rag on him too much. Some of those things are process related, not Walters related. Other Nebraska coaches just show up, other coaches have the secretary call as well, but when you look at the totality of things, a lot of it was on Coach Walters. I do think that we have been working on his replacement for close to a month, so he was just checking boxes for the staff more than likely. And he had to of done a decent job prior to this past December on the trail, it's not like he wasn't excited for a Power 5 job. But I wonder why we even send him on the road if that's the level of effort we were going to get? If it wasn't for these coaches and players being from Nebraska, whatever was said would have fallen on deaf ears in my opinion. Again, I do think we were looking for a replacement, Walters knew it, we just hadn't made the hire yet. And it's well documented he was of the opinion that even though he didn't get the UCF head job, he thought we would just roll thru people offensively the first two years and a head job would come calling. We all know how that went.

But the stuff coming out of North Stadium is just odd. If we truly had this locked up a few weeks ago, why were we waiting? Why was Troy Walters working in January for us? Lubick wasn't even working, so it's not like we had to wait. The more likely scenario is Lubick was a top candidate, but so was Joseph. Joseph wasn't going to entertain or say yes to anything until his national title game was over. And after that, he still wasn't interested, which leads us to our announcement this past Friday. I do think Lubick and Joseph were 1A and 1B, it just turns out we never really had a shot with Joseph at all, and we probably didn't get much past an initial conversation. The athletic department coming out and saying they never offered the job to Joseph is probably true, but we talked to him. It's basically like me working on a girl at a bar around midnight, not getting anywhere with her, then telling my friends I wasn't interested anyway.

The good news is, Coach Lubick is an upgrade from what we've had here in 2018 and 2019 in regard to coaching and recruiting. We don't need to spin it or play damage control. That's a damn good hire. Here's to our first bowl game since 2016 for 2020!

Great post and I can definitely see happening what you mentioned. To add to this, Lubick was working with us this past year as a consultant so Frost already had his replacement in place. He just had to wait until Walters “mutually” parted ways.

Thanks...but I’ll just wait and see how our product performs on the field.

Here is hoping the offense runs more efficient in 2020 than the two previous seasons...

If the line starts improving with our youth over the last 2 recruiting classes, and 2AM improves dramatically over last season we may start to see the kind of offense that SF was referring too when he arrived in Lincoln..

I think the OLine very well "should" be significantly improved this year. Returning all starters and probably will have one or two young, big uglies break through to starting or lots of snaps.

Haha....of course I know that you know this scarletred but I just couldn't resist. :D

Anyways, also, even if AMart will be fully healthy or not.....not having to grab hikes that flied around everywhere last year should surely help him or any other qb.

I think overall we'll be happy campers with the offense. Sure, nothing close to 1983 or so but still really improved.

Now, if we can just somehow muster up an even average Special Teams......

Reactions: scarletred
I think the OLine very well "should" be significantly improved this year. Returning all starters and probably will have one or two young, big uglies break through to starting or lots of snaps.

Haha....of course I know that you know this scarletred but I just couldn't resist. :D

Anyways, also, even if AMart will be fully healthy or not.....not having to grab hikes that flied around everywhere last year should surely help him or any other qb.

I think overall we'll be happy campers with the offense. Sure, nothing close to 1983 or so but still really improved.

Now, if we can just somehow muster up an even average Special Teams......
It will come down to quarterback play in my opinion.

Reactions: cubsker
It will come down to quarterback play in my opinion.

Well sir, you certainly could be quite right. However, it's my blind opinion that we have three "very" talented qbs. We should be pretty ok with them.

But if the Oline starts off fairly strong (which Miles will love) that will make everything for our qb easier. Maybe a lot easier.

Anyways.....we'll see!

IMO, the biggest problem with Walters was poor development of the WR players he had - just not great at developing WRs while at Nebraska. Can't really tag him for his role as the OC however with Frost calling the plays. I do think poor WR play certainly hurt the offense however.

Yeah i thought it was.. thats what he posted under on another site a long time ago...I know that for sure

I know many do. Some still appreciate actual insight and a solid football IQ. Better than the Iowa retreads and bitching about coaches on here 24-7. Mind numbing on here some days.
Frost is an extremely loyal guy and he just got rid of two assistants. Combine that with their performance on the field and Frost's apparent agreement that they were underperforming, there was reason to bitch about assistant coaching issues.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker

That's why I'm in favor of just firing coaches outright and doing it as soon as possible. When you know you're a dead man walking, you're not going to put in a whole lot of effort. That's just human nature and I don't really blame Walters for it unless he's been doing it longer than the last couple of months.

It isn't DB, but there's still a few that believe it. I have heard that he's a coach around Omaha Metro somewhere. Certainly has som inside knowledge as well as football savvy.
Just remember that while he's more plugged in than the average Husker board poster, a lot of what he posts is still supposition. I think his take on the coaching change is plausible and logical. Troy Walters is a former NFL player with no ties to the area. I could see where he might expect local high school coaches to clear their schedule for him to stop by. IF that was the case, the problem is fixed now.

Meshes with what I pieced together. When you're hearing and seeing nothing from Walters in the closing moments of December when they're trying to sign their 2020 kids and when the WR play as been as much of a letdown as it has, no surprise.

As I posted many times, what was he doing well that NU should want to keep him? Especially to the tune of 700K? If you can't coach up your kids you better be unreal at recruiting or vice versa.

Sounds like they absolutely tried to get Joseph and good for them for trying. Why the need to bother to say they didn't offer him the job I don't know. Be men about it and just don't say anything and focus on the guy you have. Still a lot of growing up to do for Scott in terms of knowing when restraint is the greater part of valor. He's still saying things he doesn't need to say.

But good on him for cutting the dead weight off the staff. The performance from WR, ST, and OLB has been unacceptable. And it wasn't accepted.

Meshes with what I pieced together. When you're hearing and seeing nothing from Walters in the closing moments of December when they're trying to sign their 2020 kids and when the WR play as been as much of a letdown as it has, no surprise.

As I posted many times, what was he doing well that NU should want to keep him? Especially to the tune of 700K? If you can't coach up your kids you better be unreal at recruiting or vice versa.

Sounds like they absolutely tried to get Joseph and good for them for trying. Why the need to bother to say they didn't offer him the job I don't know. Be men about it and just don't say anything and focus on the guy you have. Still a lot of growing up to do for Scott in terms of knowing when restraint is the greater part of valor. He's still saying things he doesn't need to say.

But good on him for cutting the dead weight off the staff. The performance from WR, ST, and OLB has been unacceptable. And it wasn't accepted.
I think you’re last paragraph could be said about the defensive coordinator too. Except It was accepted.

Reactions: CameronKrazie86

You can bet the ranch that Beav is 100% on the money. Those three factors have been downright killers (maybe "especially" Special Teams) & HCSF wasn't going to put up with it.

I think you’re last paragraph could be said about the defensive coordinator too. Except It was accepted.
I'm more understanding of the difficulties from the DC spot. Fact is the defense saved the offense's ass more times last year than the reverse was true.

If the offense doesn't piss away the many gifts the defense gave them at Purdue this team goes to a bowl.

If the offense doesn't piss away the kickoff turnover or a couple other opportunities against Iowa this team goes to a bowl and we feel like big swinging dicks over here for beating Iowa.

Offense was of no help against Minnesota.

I could go on.

Let's all agree that the OLB play and depth have been atrocious and the DL and DB play have been...how should we say...adequate-to-good at times. ILB play same story. Not terrible, not great for the most part.

Now mix in an offense that outright sucked for long stretches last year and not only did they suck, they sucked in a hurry. Which puts the defense right back on the field.

Your expectations of a DC who has no pass rush, poor depth, and gets his defense left out on the field a lot should be what? You wanna see what an injury here or there and an inept offense can do to a defense, look at the 2018 Chicago Bears vs 2019.

With the lack of spacing,alternatives ,it makes this offense somewhat pedestrian.
The third qtr has been a horror story for us, while some point to the defense, we forget how our offense mostly disappeared in the third qtr.
There's new things coming our way

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace

Really intersting stuff.

Frost has a history with Lubick and Lubick has a far more extensive amount of experience compared to Joseph. Seems to me it would be very believable that Frost was quietly going about the replacement of Walters and had his man. At that point baseless rumors about an ultra ambitious offer to Joseph came out and forced Frost to move sooner than he had planned.
None of this indicates any problem with Frost needing to grow up. Seems like everything was on a smooth path of transition until misinformation forced Frost's hand.

Frost has a history with Lubick and Lubick has a far more extensive amount of experience compared to Joseph. Seems to me it would be very believable that Frost was quietly going about the replacement of Walters and had his man. At that point baseless rumors about an ultra ambitious offer to Joseph came out and forced Frost to move sooner than he had planned.
None of this indicates any problem with Frost needing to grow up. Seems like everything was on a smooth path of transition until misinformation forced Frost's hand.
Maybe it wasn't an either/or situation. Maybe we were trying to get both. It's my opinion that you offer the most you can and makeup whatever title you need to get talented assistants here. If we need to have the titles run game coordinator, pass game coordinator, Co-OC, Offensive Coordinator, AHC, and recruiting coordinator all on the offensive side of the ball and to attract top talent, so be it. We should aim to have the best assistants in the country and pay what we need to bring them here. It wouldn't bother me one bit if we were #1 in assistant salaries and we had the coaching talent to back it up.

I believe it’s simple, Frost was working with Lubick all year so he knew when the time came, he would be Walters’ replacement. I don’t think Frost ever considered Mickey, due to already having his guy Lubick in the bag.

Not to mention, Frost would have had to train Mickey the playbook and we have no time for that coming off 3 losing seasons.

So nice to get truth for once. Sad that it has to be on the comment board.
What does that even mean? You want Frost to come out and say Walters was a lazy recruiter? Or that Mickey Joseph was plan B to the coach we hadn’t even fired yet and didn’t really even have a job offer?

And how did you decide that what you just read on the message board is the truth and not what you heard from Frost in a PC or whatever?

Maybe it wasn't an either/or situation. Maybe we were trying to get both. It's my opinion that you offer the most you can and makeup whatever title you need to get talented assistants here. If we need to have the titles run game coordinator, pass game coordinator, Co-OC, Offensive Coordinator, AHC, and recruiting coordinator all on the offensive side of the ball and to attract top talent, so be it. We should aim to have the best assistants in the country and pay what we need to bring them here. It wouldn't bother me one bit if we were #1 in assistant salaries and we had the coaching talent to back it up.

Really big IF.

Talent is in the eye of the beholder. I read the list of O corrdinators going back to TO and it seems like if you took a pill on here, we haven't had a good since. There were some who didn't think TO had "it" either. It seems like Husker fans have never met a O corrdinators they liked. D might not be too far behind.

I wondering if this part maybe has to do with Lubick. Like, "hey man your the first guy I thought of and best man for the job" Vs " Yeah you were our 2 or 3rd option" Maybe he says F that and doesn't take the job. Now they have to go even deeper down the list.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT